Hi eurobrikers,

Here is my current project. A Volvo FH truck destinated to be part of a larger play set using the TLG Volvo EW160. The whole model will have a crane truck full RC, a trailer and the EW160 official lego excavator.

As always i build this for my son and so i t needs to be really playable set with lots of function fun to play with.

Regarding to this the new Volvo EW160 inspired me. So the concept is to have a fully rc truck with manuals function added to it.

The toy will have pneumatics, PFS, RC, manuals functions.... so much for a child to enjoy! My goal with it :

Truck : 7 motorised functions + RC PF light = 8 channels on standards Rc official system.

• Propulsion by L motor
  • Direction by servo on first and second axle with reduction . report to the cab
  • Deploying stabilisator by rotation. Able to set up the stabilisator on 180° : M motor
  • Stabilisator up and down: M motor
  • Crane rotation: M motor
  • First section of the crane arm: M motor
  • Second section of the crane arm: M motor

All the these functions are realised and integrated into the framme actually. All working very smothly and with corrects speeds.

Time for some pictures of the WIP :

ZJpLe9.jpg

IJlrMN.jpg

o6VQos.jpg

uxf5mP.jpg

IJz9J6.jpg

wNk4ZE.jpg

I have now to face some difficulties and have to answer some question.

What is your opinion guys on these points :

1 Color of the rear crane ? actually thinking for black, to fit with the EW160 design or orange?

2 Position of the two PF receivers, actually in trouble with that, no neat solution

3 tilting bed. The EW 160 is equiped to load a bedactually. Cannot imagine not being able to lift it. The problem is Zero place for an additionnal motor into the frame. Thinking to lift it manualy ?

Thanks for your feedback on these points.

Edited by steph77

Nice idea! For the questions:

1 - red, always red!. Just joking, red wouldn't look that great. Black is the best option I guess. Although orange would add some contrast.

2 - no place in the cabin? Otherwise try fit them under the bed.

3 - better manual than nothing I would say

A cool, nice and ambitious project...love it!

1 Black fits your Yellow truck perfectly IMHO

2 Leave them where they are, I have no objection having PF visible, and cover it a little...

3 Agree with "jgw", but motorized would be the coolest...haha...

I am not the first one to build rotative outriggers :)

but this particular design is mine.

I try to find a good mix between PFS and mechanical design.

I don't want this Moc turn to: 'just a motor behind an actuator'.

I love the mechanics and good cinematics chains when building lego technic

This outriggers design is the result of this process where a lot of gears have to take place in a micro scale build.

(In the middle of the outriggers you have two axles for the inner turntable + the turn table rotation system)

EDIT + the outriggers rotation system + the outriggers extending alimentation :)

Edited by steph77

Hi everyone,

Some progress on this truck. The flatbed is done, with opening sides and manual lifting.

Successfully tested by my childrens :)

The cab is almost done too. With lots of details, rear view mirror, front view mirror, opening doors, lifting cab, and the two last ir receiver that will be inside (front bottom of the cab and between the two seats at lower position son not visible for the second one).

The two seats are identical to those of set 42053. Set that is actually standing near the truck.

This way i begin to see what the whole final model will look like :)

Some pictures now:

UTr3da.jpg

"]http://imageshack.co...e][/font]D0JQ5q.jpg

5TyfMx.jpg

fWvOJO.jpg

L7ramD.jpg

Finaly i manage to build the crane. And failed until today. This crane has 4 PFS functions and one onboard medium motor.

The 4 functions are:

- rotate the crane

-first section lifting

-second section lifting

-Extending (with the onboard M motor)

Edited by steph77

As I love the new Volvo excavator, I follow with great interest this project. :thumbup:

If somebody, than You can achieve a very good result for sure, You have all the parameters:

-creative building technique

-good eye for creating not only functional but also beautiful stuff

-motivation

-real life test team :classic:

Anyway, I am not against of a red crane, but green would be also interesting... although to match it better with the 42053, orange could be a nice touch.

Edited by agrof

truck looks very nice, full of functions :)

I can suggest "orange + dark bluish gray" as a suggestion for crane arm. In my opinion they fit each other but it might not fit "yellow+black" truck.

about cabin of truck, I think the door is a bit low? another liftarm would make it better perhaps?

cabin roof has a sticker?

about cabin of truck, I think the door is a bit low? another liftarm would make it better perhaps?

Yep. modificaton done. Looks good!

Thanks all for comments. Waiting for my command of pf elements to go further...

Actual state of the WIP on this project:

All 4 receivers installed and functional. Doesn't imagine how hard it would be to fit all the wires in it.

This is a quiet small size Moc. I want it to have a good ground clearance and this reduce the place inside to fit all the PF elements!

Anyway the result is cool. most of the PF is hidden and the design is not too much impacted.

But it's done! the crane's basis is also done and functional. I have try to place big linear actuators but totally out of scale for this model. So this will be the mini linear actuator's kingdom here....

Pictures:

vzqim1.jpg

vYWj57.jpg

NM4L16.jpg

5C6Lur.jpg

xgR2do.jpg

Edited by steph77

This is the review of my Volvo FH crane truck.

Hri3Kg.jpg

I build this model to fit with the last official set VOLVO EW160E. I design the truck in the same color scheme and trying to offer an equivalent level of detail of the model. All stickers are from official Lego stickers sheets. As you can see in the pictures below, the design is quiet complete, with lights (PFS in front and rear + on top of the cab), orange traffic signal, gyro, rear and front view mirror, Volvo seats, complete interior, proper stickers for the outriggers and some warning sign, a small ladder to access to the bed, manual opening elements as doors, front hood, tilting bed (1 mini linear actuator with a removable crank :).

The technical part, was real challenging here. We have 8 motors, switch, battery box, PFS extending elements to hide. And in the same time you have the 5 functions of the crane that have to stand in a minimal place and still have to work perfectly smoothly. Yes this was challenging...

Design details:

HT8gzb.jpg

oSpWPJ.jpg

OEbm1q.jpg

Dimensions:

length: 53cm

width : 13cm

width : 23cm when outriggers are out

height: 17cm crane folded down

height: 48cm when crane is fully deployed

130BLv.jpg

As presented into the wip thread, this Moc as the following motorized functions:

- Propulsion, Large PFS motor connected to a fake green V6 engine

-Direction, PFS servo

-Rotate the outriggers, PFS M motor

-Up and down outriggers, PFS M motor,

-Rotate the crane, PFS M motor,

-First section of the crane, PFS M motor,

- Second section of the crane, PFS M motor,

-Extending second section, PFS M motor, onboard in the crane's structure

They are also the following manuals functions:

-Opening doors, hood,

-Tilting cab

-Tilting bed

-Opening lateral walls of the bed.

The telescopic crane:

This was the last element to be design,ed in the building process. And it was also the hardest one.

I wanted a crane fully motorized, to fit with the Moc's global spirit. I wanted a crane with goog proportions too. It had to look strong and detailed at the same time. After hours of work on it this is the result:

Q4a7ie.jpg

Kxd9ve.jpg

Globally the scale fit perfectly with the truck, and it fits perfect near to the EW160E. The technical aspect of this crane is one of my favorite point on this Moc. All the mechanics parts are apparent and i turned every element into a design spot on that crane. Look at the cable tension mechanism on the right side of the crane for instance, this elements could be a hydraulic element, and you can see it absorbing the differentials cable tensions at the same time.

rK9RK9.jpg

enxgTs.jpg

JxS0DZ.jpg

ocq5go.jpg

The telescopic second section is extending by a cable system. This solution appeared to me as evidence when trying to keep this crane as clean designed as possible. It works absolutely smoothly and with great precision. One big advantage of this principle is that you can add as much section as you want, it will always work properly. The only problem is the bending of the arm if too much section. I decide to keep 3 section so it was the best compromise between design and arm action range.

Next pictures show you some details, stickers work, and some other global view

gy6pgM.jpg

2GiJZU.jpg

bWMFGn.jpg

VItaE9.jpg

This end the first half of this concept. I have now to build the trailer that will fit withe this great EW160E.

I'll make the video once the trailer done, and once my goal is reached.

So still a bit patience... :-)

Steph.

Edited by steph77

WOW! :cry_happy:

Much-much better than expected, and the photos also deliver very good quality. Top notch work! :thumbup:

I want official sets like this.

Edited by agrof

this is truly amazing now! all the funtions are smart designed! and there are many of them! can't wait for the video! Congrats!!!

This build turned out just perfect... :wub: :wub: :wub: How you managed to squeeze it all in there is absolutely brilliant!!!

Agree with both 'agrof' and 'TheItalianBrick'... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

it become a very nice truck and matches Volvo great.

I have to mention, design of crane arm is very good.

instead of making contests like latest Porsche, Lego should make contests like this, "a vehicle to match a (specific) set". you would win immediately.

Edited by scynox

As expected this video proofs how marvelous this build is... Very well designed, excellent!!! :thumbup::wub: :wub:

This might indeed be an excellent set...the engineering is brilliant!!!

Edited by 2LegoOrNot2Lego...

What an amazing model, is really impressive how you have achieved so much functions in a model of that size, and still keep space for a fake engine and space inside the cab, the crane is really amazing too, the system to extend of the boom is very clever, and the outriggers design seems very robust; i would love to see it as a set, this truck would be the perfect partner for the 42053.