eliza

MOC: Bank/Library/Museum Facade - Unfinished Modular

You know a building is doomed when you start stealing pieces from it for another project. The interior is in ruins already, but I thought it was worth taking a photo of the facade to share. This was supposed to be a bank or maybe a library or maybe a museum. It's a bit undersized for a modular and that was bothering me.

28649126542_05c1bd448d_b.jpg

Inspired by this real bank in Staunton, VA.

StauntonBank.jpg

Even if you never finish it, the facade is lovely never the less.

It is a very nice facade, and that means the hardest part could already be behind you. No rush to complete it, sometimes it is nice to work on a little at a time.

Lovely design! Kind of reminds me of the library/church in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Is it similar in size to the current Brick Bank?

Keep the Facade, it's good enough to not need an interior. :thumbup:

Thanks for the great comments! I moved it back to my work table so maybe I'm not quite ready to scrap it.

Lovely design! Kind of reminds me of the library/church in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Is it similar in size to the current Brick Bank?

Thanks! It's just a little short. I don't have a Brick Bank, but the size is probably similar. I also tend to think the recent modulars (detective office & brick bank) are undersized too.

Keep the Facade, it's good enough to not need an interior. :thumbup:

None of my buildings are empty, but I guess it could be a place for ghosts to hang out. :)

It is definitely a neat facade. It resembles the actual building very well. The only qualm is all white vs tan. Tan would at least add some contrast. But the details are neat. I especially love the roofing with the 1x1 teeth and the 1x1 plate with clip under the larger plates.

And I will agree on the most recent modulars being undersized. Lots of detail, but significantly smaller than the earlier versions.

I just noticed that this build has its own thread. This definately is a keeper. It would be a pity if you scrapped it.

It would be a pity if you scrapped it.

"All go to one place. All are from the bricks, and to bricks all return."

(Ecclegosiastes 3:20)

You know a building is doomed when you start stealing pieces from it for another project.

Very profound words.

I think the facade is very worthy of keeping, and I especially like the accent you gave to the arch.

I think where it begins to go wrong is at the jumper and tooth trim at the top. That area does not seem to be in the rhythm with the rest of the build. And, I suspect, that's about where the build started to lose its self, and its interest for you.

My own builds are often in stages of assessment. I stare at them, and eventually, identify the things that are bothering me, and then go back and deconstruct in order to try again. I think that this is part of the natural process of building - it just cannot be perfect first go around; not all the time. And to think it should be is a malady of modern culture - but I digress there, that's getting too philosophical again.

Simply put: Doesn't mean you should scrap it. Just means its time to take another step backward.

And, really, that would be my own advice to myself. I just happened to say it out loud.

Revisit the top trim. Perhaps, bulk it out a little, and detail it more - and let it slope out a stud or two wider at the sides, adding that extra width to the left front in the form of another layer of brick jutting out from the current edge, and then the extra window/ door to the right front. Something like that...

The meat and potatoes of it is there. Just dessert it up a little.

Edited by notaromantic

It looks really good. I think if you removed the back where the interior was it would make a really nice stand alone MOC- not as a modular, just as a display piece as it really looks excellent.

I think where it begins to go wrong is at the jumper and tooth trim at the top. That area does not seem to be in the rhythm with the rest of the build. And, I suspect, that's about where the build started to lose its self, and its interest for you.

You are right on. I'm not satisfied with the jumper and tooth trim at all. Usually I just let those things haunt me for a while and then I come back to them, but it's been sitting now for almost a year. Maybe I needed to talk about it. Maybe I'll go back to it yet. Thanks for the advice/encouragement.

It looks really good. I think if you removed the back where the interior was it would make a really nice stand alone MOC- not as a modular, just as a display piece as it really looks excellent.

Thanks. I may need to be open to that idea. If I move it out of the lego lab and into the main part of the house, it will at least have a better chance of surviving.

I live in Bridgewater! I've driven by that bank before. Who knew someone would be inspired to make a MOC out of it. I should keep my eyes more open for material to build with.