Guys I'm considering buying parts for a turntable but I'm not sure of the difference between 18939 and 48452. It seems that 18939 don't have the inner tooth ring, right?

Guys I'm considering buying parts for a turntable but I'm not sure of the difference between 18939 and 48452. It seems that 18939 don't have the inner tooth ring, right?

They are for the different types of turntable, the type 2 has the inner gear ring on the base that type 3 doesn't, and type 3 has bevel gears on the top outside, also different number of teeth, type 2 meshes with an 8 tooth gear, type 3 with a 12 tooth, either as a spur gear or bevel gear

if you look here you can see the complete turntables, and on the following page http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?pg=4&catString=36&catType=P

They are for the different types of turntable, the type 2 has the inner gear ring on the base that type 3 doesn't, and type 3 has bevel gears on the top outside, also different number of teeth, type 2 meshes with an 8 tooth gear, type 3 with a 12 tooth, either as a spur gear or bevel gear

if you look here you can see the complete turntables, and on the following page http://www.bricklink...ng=36&catType=P

Thanks for the infos. Here is what I'm trying to build: LDD file. I don't know how to use type 3 turntable while keeping the same size. Any idea?

Thanks for the infos. Here is what I'm trying to build: LDD file. I don't know how to use type 3 turntable while keeping the same size. Any idea?

You will need to use a different construction. Maybe something used in the Claas. It will be more powerful than driving the inner ring.

28694295996_ee0ee03b10_c.jpg

I really do like the newer ones, although there's little wrong with the old ones.

Does it need to have EXACTLY these dimensions? Or do we have some leeway?

Well it's still a project, so I could adjust the frame around it. I think the two turntables could be moved by 1L each, so 3L between them. I'll try something when I'll get to my bricks, LDD isn't very helpfull in this case :sceptic:

On the contrary mon ami, LDD is quite useful :sweet:

I have some time right now. Let's see if I can make an example. I am sure Alasdair or other builders can provide some examples too.

Both turntables need to rotate in opposite ways, right?

Hmmm no, both rotate the same way. right?

(that's indeed easier to see in real life)

ahhhh I'm getting crazy. They do rotate in opposites ways.

Is the new turntable already available in LDD? Can't find it.

I have some time right now. Let's see if I can make an example. I am sure Alasdair or other builders can provide some examples too.

Both turntables need to rotate in opposite ways, right?

Hmmm no, both rotate the same way. right?

(that's indeed easier to see in real life)

ahhhh I'm getting crazy. They do rotate in opposites ways.

I'd prefer in opposite ways, but same way is fine too.

Is the new turntable already available in LDD? Can't find it.

See?! Told you LDD wasn't helpful! :wink:

See?! Told you LDD wasn't helpful! :wink:

Hehe point taken

Can't find it

LDD version 4.3.9 (Brick Version 2075) extended mode - divided into two parts in the connectors section

http://bricksafe.com...e/turntable.lxf

Can be moved into normal mode by clicking: view > new themes > LDD

Edited by LXF

LDD version 4.3 extended mode - divided into two parts in the connectors section

Sweet! Thanks mate. I remembered having seen it, but I wasn't sure.

How fast do you want the turntables to rotate Bob?

Another sweet solution would be to use a gear box to switch modes (both rotate same way, or opposite directions). Of course this will complicate the model.

LDD version 4.3 extended mode - divided into two parts in the connectors section

Thanks a lot!

Sweet! Thanks mate. I remembered having seen it, but I wasn't sure.

How fast do you want the turntables to rotate Bob?

Another sweet solution would be to use a gear box to switch modes (both rotate same way, or opposite directions). Of course this will complicate the model.

I have no idea how fast the PF motors rotate, I still use my old 9v ones :classic:

I'll be getting a M or L motor next week though.

I'd prefer not complicating things too much... I'm building a system MOC after all :laugh:

I have just downloaded the file....I will attempt something which I will get back to you with.

I have some time right now. Let's see if I can make an example.

I will race you Jim.... :tongue:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

I've just updated the file with a new "basic" solution... But I have no idea if it would work well... or destroy the motor :laugh:

I will race you Jim.... :tongue:

I have little doubt you will beat me to it.

I reckon it needs to rotate pretty slowly. Otherwise the solution can be very simple.

This is my progress so far. Was working on two options. Still need to implement the worm gear though.

28639073642_8e20a5990d_c.jpg

Nice one Alasdair. You the man!

Very compact and sturdy solution.

I hope this helps,and works.

If he needs to have both turntable rotate the same then you just need to have the 14 tooth bevel gears on the same side as each other.

If the turntables rotates to fast or to slow I would just add gearing in front of the motor.

Hope this helps Bob. :thumbup:

Download

It helps! Thanks man :sweet:

I don't have that big frame, but I'll replace it by a 5x7.

I'll give it a try when I'll receive the parts I've ordered.

Thanks everyone :classic:

Nice one Alasdair. You the man!

Very compact and sturdy solution.

You had some interesting bracing going on in that black connector (1/2 stud supporting a 14 tooth gear and a 8 tooth gear). :blush:

It helps! Thanks man :sweet:

I don't have that big frame, but I'll replace it by a 5x7.

Ah,that should work just as well.

Actually it will make it a bit smaller. :tongue:

You had some interesting bracing going on in that black connector (1/2 stud supporting a 14 tooth gear and a 8 tooth gear). :blush:

That wasn't the best solution :tongue:

By interesting bracing you mean NO bracing :laugh:

( in my defense, it was still a WIP)

I will come back to you in (soon to post) Robot topic. I might need a similar solution :wink:

I will split this topic into a generic Help with Technic Building Techniques. I don't think we have a topic like that.

I had asked about a topic like this in that other place a while back,I had planned to make a tracked dumper and then get some one to review it (You said you would) but I was too busy with other stuff to finish building the dumper, maybe I can revisit this idea. :classic:

I had asked about a topic like this in that other place a while back,I had planned to make a tracked dumper and then get some one to review it (You said you would) but I was too busy with other stuff to finish building the dumper, maybe I can revisit this idea. :classic:

I know what you mean. A building techniques section.

Come to think of it; this is more a "Help with building something" topic. Maybe I need to change the topic title.

Help with Building LEGO Technic is more suitable.

-----------------

So on my Robot/LDD matter; I'd like to have an LDD replacement for the 125mm Rotacasters. Maybe you can help me out :wink:

http://www.rotacaster.com.au/shop/125mm-rotacaster-wheels/index

I propose a topic titled "Help I'm A Technic Noob!".

I will come back to you in (soon to post) Robot topic.

I do laugh now when you say "soon to post". :tongue::blush:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan