42054 - Claas Xerion 5000 Trac VC - Rating  

212 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Outstanding
    • Above average
    • Average
    • Below average
    • Poor

really great review Jim :laugh::wub: I think the tractor is brilliant :wub: As you say, the details of the model make this one of best and most realistic models.

the crane... that sucks, imo. and needs a serious rebuild. The other PTO is not spectacular either. :hmpf_bad:

I love the wheels though... :wub: they look greeeeeaaaat!!!! :laugh::wub:

ah yes... it's also a great parts pack... so I think i'll get it real soon :grin:

I really like the model but the steering sucks. It is not posible to steer the different modes on a floor with carpet. My son steers with the wheels but then the 4 wheel steering is not working because off the space in all the beams. The other things i do not understand is why they use so much grey pins where they can use a blue one, now there is an axl in a round hole. And why they did not use light grey pins on the new steering parts. Here is also a axl in a round hole.

Thank you for the excellent review and pictures.

I just started building this set and the steering is really fun to put together, really clever. Motorising will however require major redesign which I don't think I'm capable of. Looking forward to the MODs.

Great review for what I believe is the best Technic set not only of 2016 but in the themes 39-year history. I finished the build of bags 1 + counter weight yesterday evening. Took me around 11 hours! actually longer than the Arocs ... and I have yet to build the crane! It's a genious build from start to end which resulted in head shaking moments more or less through the entire building process. Some of the technices used in this model are just very impressive and clever. Kudos to the designer of the CLAAS set! I want more sets like this. Also everything works like a charme ... even the steering is great for me, almost no slack or anything like it, maybe it helps that I only drive on "sharp" surfaces. eg. workdesk etc.. Also great that you can easily turn the cabin back and forth manually. I prefer it over the automatic function. What bothers me is that the steering mode selector at the back needs a lot of force to change - is it just me or does this happen to someone else? I paid a lot of attention when building it ... Thanks and can't wait for the Volvo review.

What bothers me is that the steering mode selector at the back needs a lot of force to change - is it just me or does this happen to someone else? I paid a lot of attention when building it

I noticed the same thing, the simple solution is to straighten the wheels before switching steering modes.

I finished the tractor tonight and really enjoyed the build. The non-symmetrical features like the selector box, the ladder, steering mechanism and cab rotating base really make it stand out from all the other sets.

Brilliant set, and cheers very much for taking the time to create the review.

The only minor thing with this set, in my opinion. is the colour combination: lime and red just looks slightly off to me.

But hey, heavy equipment is not designed to look nice.

Th review and the pics are awesome ! Great job as always Jim :thumbup: . As for the set, I really like it and I think it will turn into a classic one.

Thanks, Jim, for the great review and outstanding pictures. I'm really looking forward to getting this set!

Great review and photos are fantastic. I'm really looking forward to getting this set. Unfortunately my budget has been blown on the BWE and Volvo 160, but my wife has promised to get me this for Xmas ... so only 138 days to go!

Again another wonderfull review bij Captain Jim. You can clearly read that Jim loves this set. Very excited about it myself. It is already on the to-buy-list.

Thanks for the very crisp high quality photo's, as always. This is what makes you stand out.

Also thanks for mentioning my video on the Claas steering system. When Ralph and Sariel where present in Denmark for there interviews with the designers, they both told me that my version was very close. Nice to know.

As being part of the Dutch LEGO World Steering Group, I got the assignment to motorize 2 times the Class and BWE. This takes a lot of time to figure this out. Fortunately there are many examples on Eurobricks to help me with that task :thumbup:

I come here several times pro day only just to watch the pictures... does it say enough Jim? :wink:

Maybe it just takes me longer, but I finally understand the principle behind the steering. The front wheels always steer the same and the back wheels change according to the selector and the position of the linkage on the back wheels.

It took me many views of the videos and studying of the photos of the linkage, thanks to both Jim and Barman.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Hat off to you, Sir Jim. Just as technic evollves over time, so do your reviews. And the wait was deffinately worth it.

About the set. Looks like a very accurate and innovative replica, the steering mechanism is simply brilliant. Being an offroad fan, I hope I can get my paws on them wheels, they seem superb.

Edited by Zblj

Awesome review Jim, looking forward to thew next one.

Something I noticed today ... it seems that the tires seem to stop a bit when driving backwards - when turning ... is it because of its profile or did I make a building mistake?

Also is it normal that the tires seem to be more away from the chassis at ground level than on top (cabin level) - it's hard to explain I know :grin:

Hopefully someone can answer me that.

the steering mechaniosm is a bit wobbly. on my mod they are more stiff and they dosnt collide with the frame, even with a larger steering angle

I have now finished building this awesome set. I think I agree with Jim, this might be the best technic model I have ever built. When building the BWE a couple of days ago I thought that was one of my most interesting builds so far. Now when I have built this too I must say this was even more interesting and fun, and the final model looks and works so much better than the BWE does. At least on my model, the variation of the lime color is almost unnoticeable, it doesn't bother me at all.

I noticed that the front wheels rub against the chassis when making a full turn and driving in reverse, as Emmi mentioned earlier. This is a bit annoying and seem to be due to the play in the wheel hubs which makes the wheels tilt slightly and makes the tires touch the chassi. Neither Jim nor Sariel mentioned this in their reviews so I wonder if it's slightly more play in my wheel hubs or if I have made any mistake when assembling the model. Do anyone else notice the same problem?

Thats the only bad thing I can find in this model. I probably think it's the best technic model ever produced bu TLG, it's a great mix between functions and design.

Great review, Jim. I just built mine and I totally agree with your verdict.

I saw another issue, that was not mentioned here I think (it was reported by sariel though), which is that the steering direction is oposite when the cabin is rotated (facing backwards). If the steering wheel itself would not rotate with the cabin, there would not be a problem, but I dont know yet how to implement that. There is little space.

In my opinion, adding a pneumatic compressor in the model would make it even better (all tractors are equipped with hydraulics).

I have now finished building this awesome set. I think I agree with Jim, this might be the best technic model I have ever built. When building the BWE a couple of days ago I thought that was one of my most interesting builds so far. Now when I have built this too I must say this was even more interesting and fun, and the final model looks and works so much better than the BWE does. At least on my model, the variation of the lime color is almost unnoticeable, it doesn't bother me at all.

I noticed that the front wheels rub against the chassis when making a full turn and driving in reverse, as Emmi mentioned earlier. This is a bit annoying and seem to be due to the play in the wheel hubs which makes the wheels tilt slightly and makes the tires touch the chassi. Neither Jim nor Sariel mentioned this in their reviews so I wonder if it's slightly more play in my wheel hubs or if I have made any mistake when assembling the model. Do anyone else notice the same problem?

Thats the only bad thing I can find in this model. I probably think it's the best technic model ever produced bu TLG, it's a great mix between functions and design.

I have same problems, and have read it multiple times, so prolly no mistake you made

When I first saw this set I fall in love but I was dissapointed that there isnt any typical tractor suspension or 4x4 with fake engine, but now I see that it is impossible to implement if there is such intricate steering mechanism.

I only hope that there will be more Claas models such as combine harvesters and these tires will be use in monster truck or any sort of offroad car.

Really good detailed review. Loving all the lime green pieces. It's a really nice tractor.

Edited by BrickFit26

Thank you very much for this outstanding review Jim!

I saw different reviews before and I also saw previous reviews from you, but this one does it! It was really worth waiting for your review, you just nailed it! And I have the feeling, your reviews getting better and better - if possible.

Before your review, I wasn't sure if I have to get this set, but somehow my opinion changed after reading.

Thank you very much for all the work, the outstanding photos, pointing out interesting things of any model and being so kind all over. I really enjoy your moderation and afford.

I hope you can get how thankful I am.

So is it normal that the tires rub against the chassis when turning - especially when driving backwards?

So is it normal that the tires rub against the chassis when turning - especially when driving backwards?

I think it's weird if they have allowed it to do that, just a small redesign would fix it. It seem to be a problem not everybody has though, maybe the play in the wheel hubs varies slightly.