42054 - Claas Xerion 5000 Trac VC - Rating  

212 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Outstanding
    • Above average
    • Average
    • Below average
    • Poor

Best review ever about the best Technic set ever :thumbup: ! Good portion of lecture for Sunday instead of newspaper / coffee table book :wink:. My kids and me will have a blast while building and playing it soon!

In which set did the red dish appear?

Looks like the Claas is joining the Volvo in my collection this year. It'll the first year in a long time that I won't be picking up the "flagship" set.

The Inverted radar dish has appeared in red before. I know because I just barely got some (before brickset featured them for a colour mod) for my Ferris wheel 10247.

Yet, it's the first time ever that every "big" set could apply for this title :

• the BWE is by far the largest technic set ever and seems to have plenty of interesting constructions techniques
  • the Claas is easily on par with each and every single flagship technic set ever released
  • the Porsche is an amazing base for mods and is an impressive looking model

Combined to the fact that none of the 2015 set is being discontinued for now...this year is easily one of the best years for technic fans...we have an amazing tractor, nice cars, a very nice crane, a few heavy machinery, a nice little plane and a big helicopter...if this is a bad year, I definitely more of those "bad years" :wink:

Great review Jim. Opened my box last night and just went wow at its contents. I normally don't put stickers on my models as my parts usually then end up in containers but I honk this set is very special. As I've said before I also plan to do some modding on it, trying to change colours of pins etc and would love to do the double wheel (muddy field) mod and perhaps ditch the front PTO ... Let's wait and see

Fantastic review, Jim! I have this set on order, and it should be here Monday. This is the only Technic set that interests me this year, and will probably be the only set I buy. Might get two.

This set is getting high ratings in the pole. Is this the highest rated set ever?

Wow, great review Jim!

I'm new to technic, owning only the Volvo wheel loader and 24-hours race car. I hope to get the Volvo EW160 E sometime,but I had a question. For someone new to technic, is this CLAAS or the Arocs a better buy?

Thanks!

There's no right or wrong answer. Depends on what you like, whether you will be using parts for MOCs etc. Read the Arocs review and compare them. I like the CLAAS better but that doesn't mean I would buy if first. Arocs is a great set too! You can get the Arocs and later the CLAAS.

Thanks for the imput! I like the functionality of the Arocs much better, but the tractor tires are so pretty. I think I'll just hone my technic skills and see what parts I find most useful, and decide after that.

Great job with an excellent review, almost made me want the set, which is well done considering I'm not really into Technic. :laugh: One thing though, your Power take-off link goes to the Dutch wikipedia, you probably want to switch that to the English one (unless your goal is to teach us some Dutch :wink:).

Thanks for the great review, Jim. How do you feel about the "B-model is only a different attachment" thing? The lack of a full B-model is the one major turn-off for me with this set...

A beautiful review, as always! I am somewhat in denial of how clean and crisp your photos are, but that's okay, it tells me that I need to go and buy a proper light kit. Your write up is excellent, with plenty of information and a nice splash of humor. Overall a very thorough review that makes me want to go and buy the set right now!

This makes me wonder how the tires will perform in truck trials or generally lightweight fast RC off-roaders.

This set is getting high ratings in the pole. Is this the highest rated set ever?

Yup, I think it is!!

A beautiful review, as always! I am somewhat in denial of how clean and crisp your photos are, but that's okay, it tells me that I need to go and buy a proper light kit. Your write up is excellent, with plenty of information and a nice splash of humor. Overall a very thorough review that makes me want to go and buy the set right now!

Thanks John. Getting a proper lens, tripod and teaching yourself some lightroom skills will get you a long way :wink:

Thanks for the great review, Jim. How do you feel about the "B-model is only a different attachment" thing? The lack of a full B-model is the one major turn-off for me with this set...

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't care much for B-models. On occasion, I really like the B-model, for example the 42039. But most of the time I don't really take the time to build the alternate model. For this set, I think it's cool that they only changed the attachment. Shows the purpose of the mounts and PTO.

On the other hand; a proper buggy could have been made (like with the previous tractor).

Great job with an excellent review, almost made me want the set, which is well done considering I'm not really into Technic. :laugh: One thing though, your Power take-off link goes to the Dutch wikipedia, you probably want to switch that to the English one (unless your goal is to teach us some Dutch :wink:).

Don't come here too often then. Will cost you a lot of extra cash :laugh:

(changed the links, thanks for the correction)

Changed some of the bullets too. They mist the list tags. About the videos; they are visible, right?

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for your excellent review! Do you, as an Admin, know if the Volvo and BWE will be reviewed on EB?

Many thanks for your excellent review! Do you, as an Admin, know if the Volvo and BWE will be reviewed on EB?

Thanks! I will review the Volvo (soon-ish) and Blakbird is working on the BWE. Since he is creating 3D models for the BWE, this will also take a bit. So hang in there, they will be coming :sweet::thumbup:

Hi Jim, there's a picture on page 2 of double wheeled tractor

Included it in the review :thumbup:

Hi Jim,

First of all: outstanding review as always! Great detailed pictures!

What I was wondering is how did it take you to build this set?

I assume that you needed quite a lot of extra time for taking all those pictures, but mayube you can give me a raw estimate on how long it would take to build this set.

It's difficult to estimate the building time. I usually build around 250 parts per hour. So a set of 2000 parts will take around 8 hours. With numbered bags, this time might be less, so more parts per hour.

Building this set took three evenings I guess.

"Hello everyone,

Beautiful model , By cons in mode 2 and 4 wheel steering and reversing, the locking of the front tires rub against axes directing fenders ! ( I 'm sure I watched the purposes of assembly ( beautiful ) tires !!) Funny that no one have noticed .... I must say that I play with !! Nothing serious given the quality of the model ...

Merci et désolé pour l'anglais !!!

Edited by Ignaci1

On the other hand; a proper buggy could have been made (like with the previous tractor).

Great review, Jim. When my copy comes I may try to make a C-Model buggy. Thanks for the idea;).