42054 - Claas Xerion 5000 Trac VC - Rating  

212 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Outstanding
    • Above average
    • Average
    • Below average
    • Poor

One amazing thing about this set that you seem to have not mentioned is that, this is the first set (or one of the few sets) that intentionally limit the battery box direction.

One amazing thing about this set that you seem to have not mentioned is that, this is the first set (or one of the few sets) that intentionally limit the battery box direction.

Well, I read that it's actually not the first set to do that, right? I remember some discussion about it. But switching the battery is indeed very elegant and well thought of.

FINAL WORDS

This set will be modified heavily, utilizing the front and rear PTO. Can't wait to see what people come up with. It's only a matter of time before we see a double wheeled version:

Claas-XERION-Front.jpg

And what to think of a potential new CLAAS Lexion Combine Harvester with new smaller versions of the CLAAS tires in the rear. Yes please!

Thanks you for reading this review. All pictures can be found in my album.

Thanks again Jim for the wonderful review. Indeed, this set will be heavily modified. I wonder even if more so than the Unimog (who seems to be the current champ of modifications). In terms of the dully version...... I think that would be awesome. If they were able to completely keep water out, I wonder how close they could be to making a vehicle amphibeous. Like a SHERP or something. THe huge, tractor-like tires would be great for water. They are almost paddled.....

Edited by nerdsforprez

For me the Claas and BWE are the first sets to have that. If you consider BWE the first then obviously the Claas is not :tongue:

The bucket wheel excavator does this too but in a waaay cruder way. This one is really neat and is completely hidden (apart from the green light of the battery box) :wink:

TLG clearly took note on the playability issues linked to their previous way of reversing functions...no more fiddling about with the battery box, hurray :classic:

Thanks for the stunning review, Jim. You really know how to capture and convey the experience through images as well as words. Cheers!

Hi Jim. Nope! still cant see any of the videos in your review ?? what about ordering the tires and rims from TLG ?

Out of stock... :classic: ...probably all in the sets... :laugh:

Edited by 2LegoOrNot2Lego...

Excellent review as always. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Still there will be some months of waiting time but I always have this great review!

As always an amazing review by you Jim! Now my patience for waiting for my package to arrive has decreased! I want it now :classic: ! Amazing pictures and detail as always. I love to read your reviews and they really help me make up my mind on whether to buy!

Great Review!

-RailCo

P.S. when you first listed the contents of the box you flipped the motor and the battery box. The battery box should say "*[x1] Unsealed battery box" and then sealed for the motor you had written it the other way around. Just a side note

Great review! Thanks for your attention to detail and point out the interesting sub assemblies (like the steering modes).

I wasn't totally sure about this set, but after your review I think it looks like something I would enjoy. For me LEGO is more about the build and this one looks like an interesting fun build. This one just moved above the BWE for me.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I like it that the same control activates both the forward and reverse direction of a function. It seems counter intuitive (to me) to activate a function in one direction and then have to switch the battery box to activate the reverse direction.

Thanks again,

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Thank you for the great review. It seems like you may have to schedule your summer vacation time to review sets next year. :laugh:

I think this is also a good set for implement MODs. Since it is not as big as the Unimog, they might be easier to make.

Good to see you (Jim) being so enthousiastic about this set. Sariel was also very enthousiastic in his video. I don't buy many sets lately, but I will get this set for sure. It looks like I'm in for a treat :)

Also, your photography is really outstanding. Absolutely. Even a picture of a single piece is wonderful :)

Anyhow, thanks for the great review, and don't worry about the delay. It's 100% worth the wait :)

Excellant review for an excellant set. I better get building this one!.

I'm going to have to go against the grain and state that I do not like this review...

...because I have the CLASS sat in a box right next to me but I can't build it for another week, and after reading this review I really really want to! :cry_sad:

Crisp and clean photography, as expected for you Jim. It's a little worrying to see that lime literally is the new yellow (colour variation), but the set really is flagship-worthy, and in any other year it would rightly be the highlight of the releases.

tumblr_obiac0A5981vcczb0o1_540.jpg

I hope this works ok, the piece at the front is what I used to connect the wheels together. Somebody may come up with a better solution :wink:

It works for me cool :grin:

Edited by ctx1769

Thanks Jim for another amazing review, the only thing I don't like on this tractor is the silver x346 1x3 Tooth with axle hole on the bonnet, its way too big, I plan to change it with a silver 49668 1x1 tooth.

Jim is there room to change the M motor for a L motor for abit more power for the PTO?.

Can someone please clear up the situation with the exhaust, some 5000's have the exhaust on the front next to the bonnet and others are a little one next to the cab?.

Someone has to do a black version:

gebraucht-Claas-Xerion-5000-VC-Trac-Allrad_4160024_1.jpg

The Xerion with the exhaust on the front is the old version. The latest one with the Mercedes motor has the exhaust in the middle on the right side.

Thanks for a great review! Having just built the thing, I can pretty much agree to everything in the review:

Looks great, good feeling of progression in the build, lots of new and interesting techniques, well designed and working features and so on.

Playability-wise, I think TLG has made good choices and compromises here. Sure, it's possible to add and even motorize more features but simplicity is an important goal here. I was just playing with the crane a bit, and the mere fact that the motor and thus PTO and crane can be so easily switched on and off makes it the experience a good one. This is important to any PTO driven implement you might dream up.

One thing that one may find disappointing is the lack of front pendular suspension. Will be interesting to see whether somebody succeeds modding that into the stock steering system.

just finished building the tractor. Tomorrow I'll build the b model plow.

I noticed an error in the instructions. Page 107 - 109, I believe there should have been 2 lbg pins with lego bumps inserted into the dbg perpendicular with 2 holes. They would attach to the bottom of the m motor to secure it.

Also, instead of using the 5l yellow axle for the hood hinge, I used 2 black pins. Makes the hinge more stable. (page 209 step 327.)

Glenn

Looks like the Claas is joining the Volvo in my collection this year. It'll the first year in a long time that I won't be picking up the "flagship" set.

The Inverted radar dish has appeared in red before. I know because I just barely got some (before brickset featured them for a colour mod) for my Ferris wheel 10247.

Edited by Oafley Jones