Sign in to follow this  
Lego Dino 500

[MOC][WIP]Makuta, Lord of Shadows

Hey guys, thought I'd try to flesh out my CCBS skills for once. I was really handy with the G1 constraction system, but with CCBS it just doesn't feel like things fit together right for me yet. And then I saw the Rebrick.lego.com contest. I absolutely love Bionicle, and I would kill to have a signed art book and a complete G2 collection. But murder is illegal, and wouldn't get me the signed art book, so I had to build. I think I have the legs and body down pretty solid, I might add wings to it, but I'm not feeling like it's done. Any criticisms or advice?

img_1409.jpg

This is the main body shot. I don't have the mask of ultimate power, since I can't find any of the new sets at my Target, ToysRUs, or Lego Store, but I made do with what I have.

img_1408.jpg

And this is a close up of one of the hands. I still haven't built any weapons for Makuta, Lord of Shadows, but it's possible to place them in his hand due to a technic hole from the technic beam w/ ball joint I'm using to support the thumbs. One thing I'm really worried about is filling out the stomach, below the chest. I built this off of a heavily modified and stripped General Grievous, which gives it sizable bulk, but it does lack attachment points for more shells.

img_1410.jpg

Photo for scale. He's more than twice as tall as Tahu, and probably uses 4 times a many pieces. I don't have a cape large enough in my collection for him, unless I decide to cut up a t-shirt, which I don't have any black ones to use. This MOC is in essence my farewell to Bionicle, in the wake of its cancellation. Any criticisms? I want to get this thing polished up before I enter it in the contest.

Well, I would make the legs a little shorter and bulkier and make the arms a little longer, and then I would get rid of the green and red unless you intend on adding more of it. Also, what's with the inward protruding hands? try sticking with claws. Next, you don't have to use CCBS, the rules state that you can use old Bionicle parts. And cutting a t-shirt would get you disqualified, you can only use LEGO fabric parts. Try using a cape and then putting another one under it by like the hips.

Hope I helped. :classic:

Well, I would make the legs a little shorter and bulkier and make the arms a little longer, and then I would get rid of the green and red unless you intend on adding more of it. Also, what's with the inward protruding hands? try sticking with claws. Next, you don't have to use CCBS, the rules state that you can use old Bionicle parts. And cutting a t-shirt would get you disqualified, you can only use LEGO fabric parts. Try using a cape and then putting another one under it by like the hips.

Hope I helped. :classic:

Thanks for the advice. The reasons his hands are curled in, is because he's making fists. I just finished making his sword (at least first prototype), and it's actually held by his hands. Not just slotted into a peg hole and held with friction.

Thanks for the advice. The reasons his hands are curled in, is because he's making fists. I just finished making his sword (at least first prototype), and it's actually held by his hands. Not just slotted into a peg hole and held with friction.

Oh, so the claws are his hands and the hands just hold the weapons? Or the claws are for decoration and the hands are the hands? :wacko:

I was going to tell you to add a weapon until you addressed that. I also want to advise you not to use Umarak's horns, I doubt they would pick this to be a winner when it has something from a set. But this is looking really nice so far. :laugh:

I built this off of a heavily modified and stripped General Grievous

I know someone said something like this before but, that will reduce your "Innovation of build" since I've seen like 2 moc mimic the frame design.

img_1414.jpg

I just scrapped the Grievous frame, aside from the legs. I already modified those with G1 titan pistons, to increase articulation without ruining structural integrity, so they should be okay. I completely rebuilt the body and frame, keeping only 6 parts (the bones and 1x3 liftarm w/balls that make the soldiers), basing it off of MoL/LoMN Makuta Teridax's body somewhat. I'm still not sure whether to keep the shield pieces on the chest the way they are, or rotate them back 90 degrees. I still need to work on bulking up the arms and legs though, that's my one weakness I can tell so far. But I don't have a fix for the head though, it's so darn small. And we won't be getting an officially released mask of Ultimate Power, which sucks for this build.