LEGO Train 12 Volts

What kind of piece is this? (RE 460)

I recently found this amazing model of RE 460 on flickr.

I'm curious to know what kind of piece is the windscreen 2 x 6 x 2 because I didn't know it had been produced in red.

Any idea? :look:

re_460.jpg

According to Bricklink, it has never been produced in red. My best guess is that the builder made the train in a different color and used Photoshop to change the other color to red. It is also possible they just painted or produced the piece themselves...

For me, it seems to be painted, it seems a bit to have a rough texture, and the color seems like a bit opaque compared to the entire train.

That's interesting but what I think is weird is that it is what looks to me like an exact color match

-RailCo

The color is pretty good, very close, but seems to lack depth... like its only on the surface, not a part of the brick itself. I'd go with paint.

Did you comment on the photo and ask the owner/poster of the photo if they know?

Since I'm rather expert in painting bricks..:-) I think it could be the right answer, but it has been made very well, probably with areograph, and, above all, using a mask to produce the 2000 writing on a white windscreen. The only doubt arises because the studs, on which the trans windscreen is mounted, are painted too and to force the windscreen on them should scratch the paint but nothing is visible.

When you enlarge the original flickr image, you can see that the "2000" lettering is actually a sticker. Besides, in this picture it seems to me that there is some minor colour difference between the windscreen and the other red parts, so I too think it is painted.

I also do think it is painted, because nose part and other bricks colour is a little bit different.

By the way, I really like how lights are made! They look good and modern - I have an idea how to make lights on my LDD freight loco.

Edited by Elektrychka

Tenderlok is right the "2000" is a sticker but what a wonderfull idea: to paint with masks... it should be better than stickers!