Inthert

[MOC] Incom T-65 X-wing

Hi

As a new member of Euro bricks I'm a little unsure of what I’m doing so please say if haven’t I’ve done something right.

I actually finished, and uploaded pictures of this to Flickr almost 2 months ago, but I figured I might as well put it up on Eurobricks as well. With that out the way, I give you… yet another X-wing MOC (seems to be the thing to build at the moment).

The X-wing features the essential opening wings, two small cargo areas and working landing gear. Let me know what you think and I’ll gladly answer any questions too!

27533569436_a6892b7862_c.jpgT-65 X wing (1) by Inthert, on Flickr

27290860560_5b87fb6cd6_c.jpgT-65 X wing (4) by Inthert, on Flickr

More information, pictures and instructions on how to build the fuselage can be found on my Flickr page here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143232344@N06/

And even more pictures can be found on my brickshelf: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Inthert

Edited by Inthert

Haha, that's interesting! "High noon: duel of the X-wings" ;)

Well, it's hard not to compare our creations, isn't it? Yours is much more... LEGO, I think. Visible studs are considered - by many fans - a necessity. As far as I can see, there are no illegal techniques (stud jammed in Technic hole used to be legal, so no problem here ;) ). Also, it is white, like all the recent official LEGO renditions of X-wing. And it's a very elegant design - clean form, no questionable solutions. As I said - very, very LEGO, in the best meaning of this word.

Also, proportions are very good - using a custom-built cockpit allowed that, which is nice.

All in all - a great, great effort. Congratulations!

P.S. But I like mine a bit more :D . Should I feel bad about it? ;) I hope you feel the same about your baby... I mean: model!

Haha, that's interesting! "High noon: duel of the X-wings" ;)

Well, it's hard not to compare our creations, isn't it? Yours is much more... LEGO, I think. Visible studs are considered - by many fans - a necessity. As far as I can see, there are no illegal techniques (stud jammed in Technic hole used to be legal, so no problem here ;) ). Also, it is white, like all the recent official LEGO renditions of X-wing. And it's a very elegant design - clean form, no questionable solutions. As I said - very, very LEGO, in the best meaning of this word.

Also, proportions are very good - using a custom-built cockpit allowed that, which is nice.

All in all - a great, great effort. Congratulations!

P.S. But I like mine a bit more :D . Should I feel bad about it? ;) I hope you feel the same about your baby... I mean: model!

Certainly interesting, but I assure you not intentional :D I was planning on putting it up on EB for a while now but only just had some free time to sit down and do it :)

Thank you for saying so, it's defiantly true that mine holds more resemblance to a 'Lego' x wing as opposed to yours which is definitely focusing on the details present in ILM models and I don’t think that’s a problem in any sense, just a different approach :) I think the ‘white vs light grey’ battle will rage on whatever happens but I personally prefer white and here’s why: the way I see it the death star is clearly best in LG and X-wings are a different colour to the death star, therefore X-wings should be white. That’s my logic and personal opinion anyway :D but I respect people have their own view :) I think I've made my admiration for your model clear long before now but I'll just say once again, its amazing!

P.S. I prefer mine own too :D Don’t feel bad, to some extent I think everyone is always going to like their own creation more ;)

Edited by Inthert

P.S. I prefer mine own too :D Don’t feel bad, to some extent I think everyone is always going to like their own creation more ;)

I prefer yours too, because unlike some people, you provided a good deal of photos…

The last one, I think. No more photo sessions for this model.

:poke:

I've been aware of your model for some weeks now (You were kind enough to Fave my T-70 X-wing on flickr.)

I really, really like this build. I like the shape of the fuselage, especially the entire section forward of the cockpit - You have captured every angle of the original perfectly.

I also like the cockpit. No lego canopy is correct for an X-wing cockpit, not even the ones that Lego have used in their own X-wings. Your design has the correct shape, and looks really good.

Thank you very much for putting a photo breakdown of your build on flickr: I plan to use parts of your design the next time I rebuild my X-wings.

I prefer yours too, because unlike some people, you provided a good deal of photos…

I've been aware of your model for some weeks now (You were kind enough to Fave my T-70 X-wing on flickr.)

I really, really like this build. I like the shape of the fuselage, especially the entire section forward of the cockpit - You have captured every angle of the original perfectly.

I also like the cockpit. No lego canopy is correct for an X-wing cockpit, not even the ones that Lego have used in their own X-wings. Your design has the correct shape, and looks really good.

Thank you very much for putting a photo breakdown of your build on flickr: I plan to use parts of your design the next time I rebuild my X-wings.

Thank you so much! It really is nice to hear words such as yours so soon after posting this :) your perfectly welcome for those breakdown pictures, feel free to borrow as much or as little as you like :)

Hi Inthert,

Thank you for posting the instructions. I plan to offer the parts necessary to replicate your MOC to my girlfriend for her birthday. I have already made a ldd version of your t-65 xwing. I learnt to use it for the occasion, and I have had a hard time, as you can imagine. A dozen parts won't fit (not quite correctly or not at all), but I can tell this is a shortcoming of ldd, and that it will turn out to be ok once it is built "for real".

However I cannot figure out what are the rear parts of the canons... Some sort of pins I guess, but I can't find them. If you could tell me the part number I would appreciate it. I can find a way, but I'm reluctant to modify your design, lest it is not sturdy enough.

In the end, I may tweak the color a bit (white nose?), and maybe modify the canons front parts so that I can mount transparent darts in them... I will also offer the parts for Jared's tie fighter, and it would be great if it could look like the xwing is firing at it.

Anyway, thank you for your creation. I think it's obvious by now but I love it. Nice work!

The instructions were no problem. I’m flattered and taken aback (in a good way!) that you wish to use my model as a gift, really is nothing short of a honour (without wanting to sound too melodramatic :P). Seriously though, thanks :)

Yes, I had a little go at using LDD and found it would struggle with numerous areas. I assure you though, the physical model is fairly robust and is fully swoosh-able ;)

Ah yes, I think I know what you mean, I guess I should have made that a little clearer in the instructions... that part is what’s normally used as a flick fire missile in Lego sets (part 61184) There’s also a 1x1 round tile stuck on the end too. Hope that all helps :)

Feel free to modify it in any way you like! but do you mind posting a picture of it when its finished? I’d love to see it!

Thank you, for wanting to build this creation! :D

Edited by Inthert

This is quite an impressive first post. Your model looks super solid.

Thanks :) It did take a while to work out how to make the nose strong enough to not fall apart under its own weight :D

Glad to see that you settled in so quickly here at Eurobricks! :)

As I said many times before, I really love your X-Wing design and it is my favorite one out there to date. Yes, I even think it's better than Psiaki's and Legohaulic's which are incredible, too.

I think, I'll build a copy of it or something inspired by it some day too but there are so many other things I want to build before that.. :D

This is beautiful work, and love the brick built canopy, what i always do on my models as im not a fan of TLG canopies at all :)

Thanks! As much as I would like to have a proper screen, I agree that no Lego part would look right (especially with my nose design) so a brick-built design it had to be :)

Glad to see that you settled in so quickly here at Eurobricks! :)

As I said many times before, I really love your X-Wing design and it is my favorite one out there to date. Yes, I even think it's better than Psiaki's and Legohaulic's which are incredible, too.

I think, I'll build a copy of it or something inspired by it some day too but there are so many other things I want to build before that.. :D

Thanks, I'm happy to be here, just about worked out what I'm doing... I hope :P

Thank you so much. To say its better than their legendary designs is a real compliment!

Always too many things to build next for me to, trouble is I can never decide and end up starting seven and only finishing one! :D

Very nice model. There are many things to like about it. :-)

Thanks!, I'd love to hear which parts you like in particular, or even don't like for that matter :D

Thanks for the part number Inthert. I was looking for a pin with a flat bottom... I could have looked for a long time.

With this part out of the way I was able to finish my LDD file, but before I order the parts, I wanted to tweak your design a little. In order to do that I compared it to visuals from the movies. It increased my respect for your MOC, but I feel there are a few areas that are a little off... I think the canopy should not be straight, and the slopes near the engines may be too big.

So here are the results of my efforts... Lemme know what you think.

post-164095-0-35032600-1470547195_thumb.jpg

post-164095-0-93465000-1470547194_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gray_Mouser

Thanks for the part number Inthert. I was looking for a pin with a flat bottom... I could have looked for a long time.

With this part out of the way I was able to finish my LDD file, but before I order the parts, I wanted to tweak your design a little. In order to do that I compared it to visuals from the movies. It increased my respect for your MOC, but I feel there are a few areas that are a little off... I think the canopy should not be straight, and the slopes near the engines may be too big.

So here are the results of my efforts... Lemme know what you think.

After modification:

post-164095-0-35032600-1470547195_thumb.jpg

post-164095-0-93465000-1470547194_thumb.jpg

Looks great! I'm quite impressed how close you got it using LDD, as I say when I had a go, I had no end of trouble getting the angles right. you seem to have achieved them just about perfectly! I also like your choice of colours (I think that's bright red?) it does seem to look better than dark red and the yellow touches really look the part!

The canopy was something I was never quite satisfied with... I had wanted to get the flat top area in but I was never able to come up with a solution that allows the canopy to open easily. I quite like how you've done it though. I might have to have a play around now and see how your solution looks in real life ;)

Someone had pointed out to me the angled areas next to the wings look odd, and I agree! ;). I like your use of those (relatively) new wedge plates instead of the 2x3s I had, they seem in far better proportion to 3x3 engines. Can I suggest though, that you now shorten the wings by 1 stud? I just feel with the addition of the better slope, they now look a tad too long. but then again, that may just be down to seeing the two variations right next to each other, perhaps apart, and from different views, the length looks better?

I'd also like to say thank you (again) for wanting to (and succeeding in!) recreating my design :D, can't wait to see a physical version!

Grey_Mouser, could you please post your LXF of Inthert's original design to the forum? It would help the rest of us who are building this model to find the parts needed.

I think that your mod of the cockpit looks really good - besides adding the flat area, it angles the cockpit up a few degrees, which makes it more accurate. It would be nice if the flat part was fixed, so that the only hinge point was at the top, but it'll do as it is.

My own opinion re: the engines and the slopes is that I'm not convinced by either design :-). the engines look too small and the flat area between the slopes and the engines looks kind bad. To be honest, when I build this model, I'm planning on using the design of engine from dmaclego's X-wing (along with his guns). However, as a quick fixer-upper, how about two rows of cheese slopes?

Grey_Mouser, could you please post your LXF of Inthert's original design to the forum? It would help the rest of us who are building this model to find the parts needed.

I think that your mod of the cockpit looks really good - besides adding the flat area, it angles the cockpit up a few degrees, which makes it more accurate.

My own opinion re: the engines and the slopes is that I'm not convinced by either design :-). the engines look too small and the flat area between the slopes and the engines looks kind bad. To be honest, when I build this model, I'm planning on using the design of engine from dmaclego's X-wing (along with his guns). However, as a quick fixer-upper, how about two rows of cheese slopes?

Grey_Mouser, I meant to ask that too - they would be both interesting and useful to see ;D

ScottishDave, you make some good, fair points and I agree with most of them ;). My canopy is defiantly off and I think Grey_Mouser's modification does a good job of getting the subtle change in angle from the nose to the canopy.

Regarding the engines and slopes, I think to have two rows of cheese slopes runs the risk of looking a little 'roof like', but as you say it would be a quick solve so I guess it would be okay ;). At one time I used a method similar to picardsbricks design, but the height of this design also seemed odd next to the engines. In the end I went with those large sloped pieces because they provided a reasonable (but certainly not perfect) representation of that area and allowed for the possibility of interior greebling too.

Personally I think most problems with that area comes back to the engine size. I can see that 3x3 engines are too small, but equally, I feel 4x4 are a little too large (For my current design at least, with some modification they could work). If your planning on using dmaclego's design for that area I'm assuming your going to go with 4x4 engines? As I don't see his design being achievable with 3x3s...

My only experience in building a lego set dates back to my childhood... 25 or 30 years ago. So I have no idea if the canopy I modified would be sturdy or easy to open. I agree it would be better if the flat part was fixed, but I really don't know how that could be achieved without that part being too high and thus the angle too steep. As it is now I feel the angle is a tad too steep already. I have more than one version for the canopy by the way, and I'm relatively happy and unhappy with a few of them for different reasons (I would share pictures but eurobrick seems to limit the number of files I share for some reasons).

About the slopes, Inthert sumed up the difficulties. The angle should be small enough, but the top of the slope shouldn't be too high either. So pick your poison; the flat part is mine. Two rows of slopes would be "roof like" as Inthert said... this is a no go in my opinion, but your mileage may vary. That being said, the flat part *is* bad, no discussion about it. I toyed with solutions with hinges, but they left gaps I didn't like.

I considered using the 4x4 engines but there is no way you will be able to mount them "vertically" (otherwise I think the wings won't fold). I think there are a few designs out there where the engines are rotated 90°, but that would require a huge modification of the wing design... and possibly of the body of the aircraft. As it is now, I already spent a lot of time on the LDD file. If I had known how much in advance, I probably wouldn't have done it, especially since I knew nothing about LDD... So I don't have the patience anymore. Especially since I don't own bricks to try it out "for real". But please feel free to have a go at it.

Talking about the LDD file, I would feel bad sharing it without the author's consent, but since Inthert asked, here it is:

EDIT: Final update (the file may not be perfect, but I won't work on it anymore)

Inthert's_T-65_xwing_by_Gray_Mouser_v3.lxf

Please be aware that:

- If you use this file to generate a brick list, 2x 48729 should be replaced by 2 light bluish gray minifig hands, and that 2 extra minifig hand are missing in the nose (so colour is not important)

- I chose the red and yellow according to what look best to me, but I'm colour blind, so you shouldn't trust me on these. Furthermore, I suspect the colours look different in LDD too.

But please be aware that I had to cheat in order to complete it. Some bricks are not connected, some are missing altogether, and where hinges are involved I often could not "go" all the way. And of course I may have made some mistakes (and even some intentional adjustements when I felt Inthert's pictures where not consistent with one another). That being said, I daresay it should help building the design. And I left the bricks I couldn't connect in the file, so the brick list should be correct (except for two hands that are needed in the nose... because this part does not exist in LDD).

The change of color was not intentional :-) I'm pretty sure the colors in LDD are different from real bricks, and I'm mildly color blind (different shades of the same color often look more similar to me than to a "normal" person). I'll try dark red. For the yellow, I think the right one is "tan", but LDD uses different names and there is no way I'll find the right one in LDD (for the reasons mentioned above).

Since I implied there were flaws in Inthert's design, let me finish this longish post by saying again that I think this MOC is amazing. It's because it's so good I'm willing to take time to smooth off the few rough edges. I'll probably not manage to supply the bricks in time for my girlfriend's birthday, but I spent so much time that I will definitely have it built... I'm not sure that's an honor, but it's certainly praise!

EDIT: I will try to shorten the wings, but I'll wait and see if anyone comes up with other suggestions. Maybe I won't choose the slopes I have shown earlier.

Edited by Gray_Mouser

Gray_Mouser, Thanks for uploading that file (seeing as its technically your file, I wouldn't have minded at all if you had uploaded it earlier ;). I'm sure many people attempting to recreate the model will appreciate the parts list created along with it :). You have my respect for persevering with the construction of this, especially as you said you haven't used Lego for so long and that you leant how to use LDD along the way AND, on top of that you had to deal with my instructions ;) As such I can understand why you might be tired of this by now!

I encountered the same problem of gaps when I tried using hinged bricks, I now wonder if there is a suitable solution using 3x3 engines... seems to be whatever option, there's a compromise somewhere.

Well, even if it wasn't intentional, I think the new colours look great :D, as I've found by looking at photos of the studio models and in conversations with other builders, the X-wings were very colourful (at least until they encountered TIE fighters ;P).

I know I've said it before but thank you! I'm in no doubt my design isn't perfect so 'amazing' is more than enough for me ;)

Hmmmm... I feel the scale is not the same for the two designs. If you try those engines, please let us know how they fit.

Inthert's X-wing first caught my eye on Flickr a couple months ago. IMHO this is one of the best lego representations of this iconic spacecraft.

I meticulously recreated it the best I could in LDD but had a dozen or so mates I just couldn't get to work. Looks like Gary_Mouser had more success that I did. Good job! Fortunately I got far enough to order bricks and hope to have a physical representation soon.

Attached is my LDD attempt. I made a few alterations based upon the studio scale Red 5. Still a work in progress.

Next up is to duplicate Inthert's T-70 in grey which is also very, very impressive but that's probably for a different thread ;-)

Thank you Inthert!

x-wing.lxf

Edited by blbills

Inthert's X-wing first caught my eye on Flickr a couple months ago. IMHO this is one of the best lego representations of this iconic spacecraft.

I hope to have a physical representation soon.

Attached is my LDD attempt. I made a few alterations based upon the studio scale Red 5. Still a work in progress.

Next up is to duplicate Inthert's T-70 in grey which is also very, very impressive but that's probably for a different thread ;-)

Thank you Inthert!

Thank you blbills! ;)

Thanks for uploading your file too, anyone else recreating it now should have more than enough material!

About the T-70 (yes your right it should go in another thread, I'm planning on putting it up soon but for now..) I've noticed there's a few parts that's are not available in light grey most importantly: the mud guard pieces for the rear engines. here's a link to the relevant Flickr page: T-70 X wing Instructions (Engines)

If your close to making the physical T-65 model, some of the comments I made on this picture might be of help: I built inthert's X Wing. it's a perfect model I think.

In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing the physical T-65 and the Digital T-70, would you mind posting pictures of them on here when they're done? :)