Sign in to follow this  
Norro

One very attackable merchant...

Ah yes. I can related to this with the Pirates. There wasn't actually anything for them to plunder, with the exception of a merchant ship that came with the Imperial Trading Post. But where were the settlements and cargo ships, etc.?

Actually one day I intend to create a thread about this, but I fear there are not enough Pirate enthuiasts to make it worth while at present.

With my incredible researching ability I bring this quotation from the mister_phes archives to light and invite discussion on the first paragraph and disagrement with the second :-D ...

Go ahead and God Bless,

Nathan

Ahhhhhh excellent... Someone is taking the initiative for me... Well done... You deserve a promotion...

Now, the problem with the Pirate theme is there was a lack of anything for the Pirates to plunder, besides the "Cutter" in the Imperial Trading Post as its affectionately referred to, there isn't nothing!

In the original line forts were meant to be attacked and plundered... Especially the one with chests... Though this also presents the best feature of the BSB as it is easily made into a merchant...

God Bless,

Nathan

Actually Eldorado Fortress and the Imperial Trading post were the only two land based soldier set which came with treasure chests. In the event of a land based set I'd be thinking of something more vunerable. In the The Pirate Theme ended... we discussed the possibility of future sets and touched upon ideas on what Pirates could plunder.

I'd like to see a system by which you could build up a settlement/town of one of the 5 major nations populating the Caribbean at the time. I.e. British, French, Spanish, Dutch and Portuguese. The architecture of each nation sub theme would be indicative of their culture and historic design.

Each nation's settlement/town would have sets like an inn, ship wright, black smith, governors mansion, supply store, harbour, armoury, etc. And of course there might be a fort to guard the settelment/town, but this would only be effective depending upon how many forts there were to the number of pirates plundering...

We even discussed the possible way they could all be "linked" together rather than being just independant sets, but they should also be able to stand independantly if preferred.

well that always has been a problem with lego : bad guys, good guys, but nobody inbetween, with the exception of space themes (with 3 parties all the time). the worst think is that it's extremely difficult to create neutral characters with nice torsos.

I could debate Jipay's statement by saying the Indigo Islanders were fairly neutral, but then again he might not consider them to have nice torsos!

Although there were inferences in the catalogs that the Islanders and Pirates didn't get along too well. Probably since the Pirates were attempting to thieve the Islanders gold.

In a historic context the Imperial Armada (representing the Spanish) would have conquored the Islanders in search of valuables to return to Spain and continue their conquest of dominating the New World.

Quite possibly the soldiers might have liked to use the Islanders for target practice.

So perhaps they weren't so neutral afterall. But was anybody really neutral to everyone anyway?

Actually Eldorado Fortress and the Imperial Trading post were the only two land based soldier set which came with treasure chests. 

I always pictured Lagoon Lock up as a hot spot for combat... The Imperial Trading post would be blown to bits by any of the large pirate ships (unless the RBR's mast fell down :-D ) though the Eldorado Fortress could probably hold its own...

As usual: God Bless,

Nathan

Lagoon Lockup used to be my all time favourite set back in the days when I couldn't afford anything larger. It brought me hours of fun and adventure, but apart from a couple of goblets there was no treasure to steal! It was more or less one Pirate trying to rescue the other from the cell.

As for the Imperial Trading Post... It does have 3 cannons so if the soliders are competent they could severely hinder the onslaught of a pending Pirate invasion. Plus there's also reinforcements in the form of the Imperial Flagship and it may be prudent to construct a fort (in the form of Cannon Cove) at the mouth of the harbour for additional defence, perhaps one of each side.

My train of thought seeks to unify all the sets within the Imperial Guard sub theme and explore their correlation with one another... They are "guards" afterall so one would hope they lived up to their name.

Lagoon Lockup used to be my all time favourite set back in the days when I couldn't afford anything larger.  It brought me hours of fun and adventure,

'Used to be'?! It remains my all time fav pirate set and high up on the all time best set list...

God Bless,

Nathan

LEGO really needs to release a Treasure Galleon. A big fat hulking treasure galleon! And if they made the hull for the evil 4+ 7075 Red Beard's Ship brown then there would be a decent starting point. It has the right bulk for a galleon compared to the original ship hull components. Then a SYSTEM ship could be built up from it.

Load it with heaps of treasure and chest, throw in a dosen Imperial Armada mini-figures to Guard it and there ya have it... A Treasure Galleon...

The Spanish had a fleet of these, aptly titled the "Treasure Fleet" to transport gold and valuables back to Spain. The more daring Pirates were known to plunder it... Oh what fun!

LEGO really needs to release a Treasure Galleon. A big fat hulking treasure galleon! And if they made the hull for the evil 4+ 7075 Red Beard's Ship brown then there would be a decent starting point. It has the right bulk for a galleon compared to the original ship hull components. Then a SYSTEM ship could be built up from it.

*cabin boy looks up impudently at old deckhand* Now why did that repeat post with that big time gap happen there, mister phes?

*ducks freshly spliced mainbrace* So that's what one of those looks like.

Anyway - There's some high-res, big photos of the new HP sets posted over in the LEGO Theater subforum, and I may be mistaken (I'm not *absolutely* sure about that photo) but the new Harry Potter Goblet of Fire Durmstrang Ship looks like it has a brown (with grey trim) 4+ Pirates hull...

...and it's a minifig-scale ship, so it comes with freebie parts for a Treasure Galleon MOC! Even if the bits are of a wizardly nature. ("Yarr, curse my wizardly bits." :-D )

We're (me and the Monkey Troupe) are just conducting maintenance of the Pirate threads... That information really needed to be moved and we hadn't got round to cleaning up the original site. But rest assured its complete now.

Yes, I've seen the these pictures yer write of, but I think the ship's colour scheme is hideous. And I might be reconsidering the use of that hull and its just too wide and pointy. It looks ridiculous in other words. Just read the posts in that thread and you'll discover my opinion on it.

What does everyone else think? Could the Dungstain Ship hull be used as a pirate-themed ship hull?

well that always has been a problem with lego : bad guys, good guys, but nobody inbetween, with the exception of space themes (with 3 parties all the time). the worst think is that it's extremely difficult to create neutral characters with nice torsos.

hey what about the islanders? they suppose to be in between, right? trading tropical fruits, wild parrots n monkeys, seashell necklace etc to what ever armada they meet (brits, french n spanish)? they are not in the right state of war.

hey what about the islanders? they suppose to be in between, right? trading tropical fruits, wild parrots n monkeys, seashell necklace etc to what ever armada they meet (brits, french n spanish)? they are not in the right state of war.

Why did you bump this 5 year old topic Little Brick Man?

Please refrain from doing so in the future, thanks. :pir-classic:

Why did you bump this 5 year old topic Little Brick Man?

Please refrain from doing so in the future, thanks. :pir-classic:

sorry for what might be a stupid question (altough my dad always says there are no stupid questions :pir-classic: )

but why can't we bump up these old threads?

it's not like the world is going to explode if we did (atleast I hope it won't :pir-cry_sad: )

Edited by dr jones

sorry for what might be a stupid question (altough my dad always says there are no stupid questions :pir-classic: )

it's not like the world is going to explode if we did (atleast I hope it won't :pir-cry_sad: )

Bumping an old thread is perfectly acceptable IF you have a good reason.

Bumping a 5 year old thread to ask where the islanders are in a MOC doesn't make sense. The chances that the MOC is still put together is slim. Therefore that doesn't make alot of sense to do.

Now if you bump an old topic and have a relavant question and the discussion can easily be started up again, then that's fine.

This thread for example is a perfect candidate for being bumped. Non-Pirate Mini-Figures Useful for Pirate MOCing? Simply becasue the discussion is timeless even in 4 years from now, someone could easily spark up discussion on MOC'ing only pirate figs or blending regular figs in as well.

Something like this PETITION to keep the Pirates theme beyond 2010 and beyond... would not make sense to bump in say 3 years becasue well, it will just be too old, we obviously now know the result of the year 2010, so what would be the point.

Please note, these are not the official rules of EB, just my personal advice on the issue.

Bumping an old thread is perfectly acceptable IF you have a good reason.

Bumping a 5 year old thread to ask where the islanders are in a MOC doesn't make sense. The chances that the MOC is still put together is slim. Therefore that doesn't make alot of sense to do.

Now if you bump an old topic and have a relavant question and the discussion can easily be started up again, then that's fine.

This thread for example is a perfect candidate for being bumped. Non-Pirate Mini-Figures Useful for Pirate MOCing? Simply becasue the discussion is timeless even in 4 years from now, someone could easily spark up discussion on MOC'ing only pirate figs or blending regular figs in as well.

Something like this PETITION to keep the Pirates theme beyond 2010 and beyond... would not make sense to bump in say 3 years becasue well, it will just be too old, we obviously now know the result of the year 2010, so what would be the point.

Please note, these are not the official rules of EB, just my personal advice on the issue.

thanks for sharing some of your endless wisdom with us :pir_laugh2:

Jones, Big Cam is giving you some really good advice.

I'd recommend you take his "endless wisdom" on board because you're on the fast track to being banned from this forum.

Jones, Big Cam is giving you some really good advice.

I'd recommend you take his "endless wisdom" on board because you're on the fast track to being banned from this forum.

sorry, I didn't mean to look like I don't care, cause I do

if this behaviour will make me look bad, I will stop with it

and Big cam, sorry if I have offended you

sorry, I didn't mean to look like I don't care, cause I do

if this behaviour will make me look bad, I will stop with it

and Big cam, sorry if I have offended you

None taken, I would just observe the way others post and how moderators respond to certain situations. Learning by others mistakes is easier than learning by your own. Since we've already used this thread for more than its intended, there is no need to reply, and feel free to PM me with any questions, I'm always happy to help a new member.

First rule about Project Mayhem: You do not ask questions about Project Mayhem!

No seriously, because it would ruin discussion culture if everyone bumped topics when they felt like it. It would be veery hard to keep track of what's recent with the forum being flooded with posts you've already read a few times. That's the extreme case, of course. ;-)

Just stick to what Big Cam said wrote and you'll be fine. Try only to bump when others also benefit from your bumping. On a side note, there's always the option of leaving the topic creator a PM if you've got a question.

Edited by Enpaz

First rule about Project Mayhem: You do not ask questions about Project Mayhem!

No seriously, because it would ruin discussion culture if everyone bumped topics when they felt like it. It would be veery hard to keep track of what's recent with the forum being flooded with posts you've already read a few times. That's the extreme case, of course. ;-)

Just stick to what Big Cam said wrote and you'll be fine. Try only to bump when others also benefit from your bumping. On a side note, there's always the option of leaving the topic creator a PM if you've got a question.

Please leave this to the mods, OK?

Everyone, let's leave this topic be now. :pir-wink: