DarkShadow73

Alternate instructions for B models

I purchased all 3 new summer Technic sets. The 42053, 54 and 55. I realize they we're just released either yesterday or at midnight, but one would assume the alternate instructions would be available to download at the same time. Does anybody know how long it takes TLG to post them on their website?

Secondly, a gripe of sorts. Now all larger releases, mainly would be the summer sets, have alternate model instructions that are only downloadable in one large pdf file instead of a few different segments. My issue is where I live I only can get DSL internet, so if I try to download a huge file, so many times a quarter of halfway through it fails, plus it crawls with these large files, sometimes many hours to download one file, unless it fails halfway through which irritates me. Is there a way to just have the pdf file e-mailed direct to me? Going to the local library, which does have cable internet, doesn't help because all they have is internet terminals, so no way to take a flash drive in and try to download them that way.

Any ideas on the timeframe for the instructions to become available, or to get the entire pdf file sent to me would be most appreciated.

Use a download manager, like in the old days. One that can pause and resume downloads.

My issue is where I live I only can get DSL internet, so if I try to download a huge file, so many times a quarter of halfway through it fails, plus it crawls with these large files, sometimes many hours to download one file, unless it fails halfway through which irritates me.

How do you download? My experience is that opening the file and Save As results in failing downloads. However, when I right click and selected download link as (edit: save link as)... then it works fine. Maybe this helps.

Use a download manager, like in the old days. One that can pause and resume downloads.

Or that....

Hmmm...I'm not sure what you mean by using a download manager that you pause and resume. I basically just click on the photo of the B model within the Building Instructions section of Lego's website and it starts a download. I can pause and resume the download, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Jim - as far as what you are talking about I will try that and see how it goes, but when you are talking about the digital downloads that Lego has been using last couple years, they are huge files, some are 130mb or larger I would guess, especially with the 42055 that just released. Even the 42054 is going to be large I'm guessing. I tried a dry run with the 42052, and one time it made it to 57mb, then just stopped and tried opening the pdf file itself (without me selecting Open when Done). Of course a msg came up that said the download had failed. This part I really don't get. Going super slow and stopping many times is 1 thing, but having it just get so far, even at like 10mb it sometimes does this, going right to the pdf in Adobe and naturally saying failed. I tried this both on the main and alternate instructions on the 42052, and the alternate model for only coming from a set that has 1,042 pcs is a 139mb file. I wish they had kept the larger models split into 4 or more smaller chunks.

I still wonder how long it takes Lego to put up the alternate pdf's on their website. I've never looked for 1 this quickly, but it seems to me as long as the product is released, they should also post the alternate instructions, just like it says on the back of the box. Also, not to bash Lego, but I can't imagine it costs that much to print alternate instructions like they used to prior to 2008, but it is what it is.

Thanks, I'll try the Save As features and see what happens.

Thanks, I'll try the Save As features and see what happens.

For me this works like a charm. I also experienced problems when downloading by opening the file (even on a high speed connection).

@Jim -

When I right-click on the selected download, all I get is 'Save Link As'...not sure if I'm doing this correctly...I don't see an option for 'Download Link As'...maybe if you went to the building instructions section of the Lego website, you'd see what I'm talking about...

@Jim -

When I right-click on the selected download, all I get is 'Save Link As'...not sure if I'm doing this correctly...I don't see an option for 'Download Link As'...maybe if you went to the building instructions section of the Lego website, you'd see what I'm talking about...

Save link as is okay. That's the option I'm referring to.

Save link as is okay. That's the option I'm referring to.

Alright Jim - thanks for the input, it is appreciated.

@Balrog - if Jim's idea doesn't work, what is the download manager? The only option I can see is clicking on the file and it shows in the bottom left of my screen, or I can click the Downloads on the bottom right, and that just shows the actual kb/sec and a progress bar, and I can pause and resume, but I never know when to, is it when it stops downloading? Like I was saying this problem is twofold, it loads really slow and also sometimes just stops like its done and goes direct to the pdf, for example, 139mb file might stop at 11mb or 60mb and act like its done, then the pdf comes up and says 'Failed - Incomplete'. I am using Windows 10 OS and nothing else special, Adobe is the same as when I had Windows 7.

Thanks to both of you.

Which browser are you using?

Alright Jim - thanks for the input, it is appreciated.

@Balrog - if Jim's idea doesn't work, what is the download manager? The only option I can see is clicking on the file and it shows in the bottom left of my screen, or I can click the Downloads on the bottom right, and that just shows the actual kb/sec and a progress bar, and I can pause and resume, but I never know when to, is it when it stops downloading? Like I was saying this problem is twofold, it loads really slow and also sometimes just stops like its done and goes direct to the pdf, for example, 139mb file might stop at 11mb or 60mb and act like its done, then the pdf comes up and says 'Failed - Incomplete'. I am using Windows 10 OS and nothing else special, Adobe is the same as when I had Windows 7.

Thanks to both of you.

Well, a download manager is either a separate program which you can use to download files or possibly a browser plugin, that can be used within the browser. Usually they provide a more stable download, allow to pause/resume downloads or even to retry/automatically retry a download.

For example this Firefox Plugin:

https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/downthemall/

Though, I am not sure if this is really a good one, but just a sample for what I meant.