TheLunabrick

Favorite Space Line?

Tied for favorite:

• Classic Space
  • Futuron
  • Blacktron (original)

Those are my picks as well. One of the reasons I bought multiples of the Raid VPR & squeed like a fangirl when the local Lego Store got a bunch of that one alien's torso from that set was because it was a specific shout-out/re-make of the original Blacktron I torsos. :)

One of the other reasons is that, with a few slight mods, the Raid VPR itself was easy to convert to Futuron colors.

Also, classic space is the reason why I decided to spend close to $100 on Benny's Spaceship spaceship SPACESHIP! set, instead of parts for one of my many ongoing naval projects was because it was just like one of those big Classic Space sets they had when I was a kid, but could never afford, so it was my way to make up for the regret of never getting one of those sets back then. ;)

Those are my picks as well. One of the reasons I bought multiples of the Raid VPR & squeed like a fangirl when the local Lego Store got a bunch of that one alien's torso from that set was because it was a specific shout-out/re-make of the original Blacktron I torsos. :)

One of the other reasons is that, with a few slight mods, the Raid VPR itself was easy to convert to Futuron colors.

Also, classic space is the reason why I decided to spend close to $100 on Benny's Spaceship spaceship SPACESHIP! set, instead of parts for one of my many ongoing naval projects was because it was just like one of those big Classic Space sets they had when I was a kid, but could never afford, so it was my way to make up for the regret of never getting one of those sets back then. ;)

Yep, Space Police 3 was Futuron fodder for me.

Futuron came out when I was 9. My sister got me the Stardefender 200 as well as the Blacktron Battrax that year for Christmas. Will always cherish those memories!

Something about the icy white and trans blue colors of Futuron will always remind me of the Future, and Space.

Classic Space is #1, easily. Futuron fits as an extension of this. There's really nothing to say about it, it was just a very well done theme.

Blacktron was awesome. Blacktron II was less awesome, both in minifigure and build. I prefer the black & yellow.

Spyrius. Interesting nobody has mentioned it yet. I loved the Spyrius Droid, and the color scheme of the sets looked great (even if I didn't like the trans-blue windshields).

Ice Planet was interesting when it came out, but I don't like it as much in hindsight. The trans-orange parts made sense in context. I see NEXO Knights as a revisiting of the aesthetic of Ice Planet and Space themes in general.

Blacktron I; great colour scheme, amazingly ominous minifigures (all smiling happily), traingle logo. There's just something about the smiling army of evil that I just can't resist :devil:

Don't know if it's considered a space theme, but my personal favourite is Rock Raiders. I know that it mostly consists of mining vehicles and related stuff, but the whole theme has a space setting. Other then that one I've always liked the mid to late 90's space themes like Space Police II, Ice Planet 2002, Spyrius, Unitron, Exploriens, UFO and Insectoids

No mention of the Exploriens??

Even though I grew up with Classic space and Futuron, the 6982 exploriens starship was one of my favorite all time lego space sets.

Exploriens was very close to the futuron colour scheme except it had the trans neon green parts instead of trans red.

Some other stand outs for me is the 7692 recon drop ship - just love the overall shape and how the front cockpit is positioned.

Classic Space

Futuron

Space Police I

Blacktron I

M-Tron

Can't stand most of the lines released after this, and even M-Tron is a little on the edge thanks to the proliferation of fluorescent green/yellow trans pieces (big fan of the magnets though!)

No mention of the Exploriens??

Even though I grew up with Classic space and Futuron, the 6982 exploriens starship was one of my favorite all time lego space sets.

Exploriens was very close to the futuron colour scheme except it had the trans neon green parts instead of trans red.

Some other stand outs for me is the 7692 recon drop ship - just love the overall shape and how the front cockpit is positioned.

I actually bought several Exploriens sets when they came out (and when I got back into LEGO after my first dark age) for the express purpose of using their parts for/converting them to Futuron MOCs.

Can't stand most of the lines released after this

I remember feeling betrayed by Blacktron 2 and Space Police 2. Blacktron 2 had WHITE bricks for gosh sake. BLACK is right there in the name! And of course the figures weren't nearly as cool. And Space Police 2 had basically nothing in common with the original Space Police.

You know, Space Police 2 might have my least favorite Space color scheme of all. The grey, black, red and trans green looks kinda like barf. I mean actual barf!

Blacktron I hands down. Though I do have fond memories of Classic Space, my cousins and I would play with tons of pieces and figures from that line all the time. We would make the coolest things ( to my young mind's eye) out of that stuff.

This is a difficult question! When I was a kid, all new themes were awesome. And now, all those themes conjure up romantic images of my youth.

But I do prefer the early civilian, peaceful themes like CS, MTron and Ice Planet. Although, I suppose Blacktron 1 was pretty cool too!

I remember feeling betrayed by Blacktron 2 and Space Police 2. Blacktron 2 had WHITE bricks for gosh sake. BLACK is right there in the name! And of course the figures weren't nearly as cool. And Space Police 2 had basically nothing in common with the original Space Police.

Oh I agree 100% I particuarly hated that they replaced the old transparent yellow with the fugly transparent neon green that they introduced with the M-Tron line.

As for Space Police II.... The only good thing about it, IMO, is that thanks to the green canopies and the largely gray color scheme, they made for fairly easy conversion into the Gray with Green canopy Classic Space color scheme and/or as parts kits for MOCs based on that particular theme....

I guess Space Police 3 would be mine. It's the last Space theme I collected with any sort of regularity, in part due to all the neat references to both Lego City and the history of Lego Space.

Alien Conquest and Galaxy Squad were good too, but I never felt any drive to collect those beyond a few sets. Wasn't a huge fan of Mars Mission. And then you get back into the classics. I never collected any of those comprehensively but of the classic themes my favorite would probably be Spyrius. A lot of the others from my childhood (like Exploriens, UFO, and Life on Mars) have not aged nearly so well.

Love the colors of Ice Planet, the last Space Police was a ton of fun, but there is a special spot in my heart for Alien Conquest. Love the 50s sic-fi movie feel. The aliens were great, the humans were perfect, the designs were excellent. So sad the second year got canceled. But I do have the big Police double copter that was taken from the canceled second year.

This is a tough choice, but these are my top picks:

1. Classic space (can't argue with that retro look and my favorite space minifigs)

2. Exploriens (nostalgia in my case, was my favorite theme as a kid)

3. UFO (amazing detailing, colors, and nostalgia too)

4. Ice Planet 2002 (love the color scheme)

5. Space Police III (really like that smooth design with classic police color schemes)

6. M-Tron

7. Blacktron II

Honorable mentions go to Futuron and Unitron for their respective monorails, and to Life on Mars and Insectoids for some of my favorite minifig collections.

Edited by BrickHat

Well my first pick isn't hard from the many 90's space themes I enjoyed. But after ice planet I might have to say Spyrius would be up there for the color scheme and ships they had while Explorians also had a lot of cool gear as well. I would also say I enjoyed the Galaxy squad theme as well, just a shame the red team did not get any bigger builds.

Blacktron 1!

Wonderful prints on the minifigs, and the simplicity of black+trans yellow+sparse white+accented trans red is a very appealing color scheme to me. The sets were very well designed too imo.