The Monezterrel shipyards have been busy again - and they still are. To help out our expanding cargo needs, we have decided to order a Barque (and some more ships, but those aren't done just jet). It has the capacity to carry 14 guns and a lot more space for cargo. But let's keep this short for once - you just wanna see what it looks like, don't ya?
Wow, this one took a while. Not because it was difficult, instead because I'm in the middle of exams and have 2 more ships in WIP. Don't ask how I have connected the sails, its magic (they fall off if you breathe). First, before anyone notices: This ship is heavily (!) inspired by the Christine, a Barquentine, by Sebeus I. As I like to try out different techniques for building ships I had to try out his technique too - and why not on a ship of the supposedly perfect length of 4 midsections? Off course I made quite some changes - the stern, which I originally wasn't too excited about, has been done very differently, and the masts, which were just the standard ones, were done completely different. So, let's just see the pictures:
28059654263_bd6c945443_c.jpg
So many sails. 21 sails total on this ship, luckily the 10 square sails could be rolled up.
28643481976_27126be5fa_c.jpg
A bit more detailed view of this side - as usual on my ships a lot is going on. Btw, as this is a ship inspired by Sebeus the Capstan had to work - what else:D
28643473456_55b91a13bd_c.jpg
Picture of the side of the bow. As you can see there aren't many places to hide on a ship this size - you have to get creative then.
28643479776_3a0b847c98_c.jpg
Picture of the stern, with the rowboat hung up. That shark was irritating as it kept rotating the whole time.
28675357315_857ded1181_c.jpg
And a last one, the rowboat is in the water and the shark has rotated a bit further. Imagine a the name Esmeralda on that dark tan tile.

This Barque will be licensed as a class 5T; it is commanded by Captain Hector Ordoneź.

Edited by Legostone

As always, an excellent vessel !

I particularly like the bow you made with the nets ! It's great !

I also like the fact that the crew is fishing to provide some fresh food to the cook. A good addition !

Great job !

Beautiful ship! Nice lines, and the colors are subdued, but not too much. I like how, even though it is built on prefab hull pieces, much of the lower stern is brick built.

This reinforces to me that I have to start moving away from prefab masts and rigging on my ships. The brickbuilt masts and simple rigging add so much to the build. Thanks for the inspiration!

Very nice ship, LegoStone, the rigging and sails are excellent, and the shape is great as well! :thumbup: The working capstan and the ship's boat are great details, and I too like the brick built hull section on the stern of the ship. A small nitpick would be that, as the square-sails are furled and you have the stays set, it would be nice to see that reflected in the directions of the flags (and I always think they look better flying not-quite straight forwards of backwards pir_laugh2.gif).

The one thing that could really be improved, though, is your presentation - a sheet of paper (obviously a very large one for something this size! pirate_laugh2.gif) or a poster-board simply looks way better, and I would take the overview picture from a bit of a lower angle to get a more ship-in-water, rather than bird's-eye view. Photographing large ships is admittedly not at all easy, though! default_laugh2.gif

Excellent job overall, and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing that other ship of yours finished! default_excited.gifpirate_satisfied.gif

A really lovely ship. The effort put into the sails and rigging really compliments the great hull design and colour scheme. All over a beautiful addition to your fleet.

Great ship with splendid hull design and rigging! May your voyages be swift, uneventful and lucrative!

I won't reply to everyone for this one, sorry! Thanks to everyone who commented!

Beautiful ship! Nice lines, and the colors are subdued, but not too much. I like how, even though it is built on prefab hull pieces, much of the lower stern is brick built.

This reinforces to me that I have to start moving away from prefab masts and rigging on my ships. The brickbuilt masts and simple rigging add so much to the build. Thanks for the inspiration!

Yay, someone convinced to move away from the prefab masts and rigging:D And even better - you;) I might have some more inspiration to help you out - the upper part of the foremast of another ship close to the same size as this one.

28637982296_69e06c64db_c.jpg

Very nice ship, LegoStone, the rigging and sails are excellent, and the shape is great as well! :thumbup: The working capstan and the ship's boat are great details, and I too like the brick built hull section on the stern of the ship. A small nitpick would be that, as the square-sails are furled and you have the stays set, it would be nice to see that reflected in the directions of the flags (and I always think they look better flying not-quite straight forwards of backwards :pir_laugh2:).

The one thing that could really be improved, though, is your presentation - a sheet of paper (obviously a very large one for something this size! :pir-grin:) or a poster-board simply looks way better, and I would take the overview picture from a bit of a lower angle to get a more ship-in-water, rather than bird's-eye view. Photographing large ships is admittedly not at all easy, though! :grin:

Excellent job overall, and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing that other ship of yours finished! :excited::pir-sweet:

I'll fix your criticism with the flags on my next ship; I completely forgot about them after putting them on:P

Presentation - I know I can work on that, but that would require me to find space and such. I actually do try to take pictures from a lower angle, but in this case my bedsheet was too small (or better say the mount on top); this ship is around 60 studs or so high (I'm not going to check, but it is somewhere around there). Maybe the weather is better the next time I'm taking pictures and I can take them outside again.

Great, I hope I won't disappoint you there:D But I fear before I finish that ship there will be a bunch more ships - I have one more WIP that is very close to finishing and I see myself building many ships for challenge 4 as my small ships are out of date compared to my bigger ones which won't fit into the boundaries after all, even if they were allowed:P I must say, I'm already very exited for this challenge and am looking ahead for everyone's entries!

Great ship with splendid hull design and rigging! May your voyages be swift, uneventful and lucrative!

I don't mind any events - I just don't want it taken nor sunk:P

Nice! I am not very good at building large sailing ships, but I can keep trying. I really love the little details of how all the Minifigures are interacting with each other.

Everyone has to start somewhere - I started building ships just about 5 months ago and have, since then, as far as I can tell, improved a lot. And a crew really adds some detail - without it the deck on this ship looks quite empty; if you want to I can take a picture without the crew once I am back home.

Quick question to everyone - does anyone have any experience taking pictures of whole fleets (right now that would be 5 large, 1 mid-size and 2 small ships, but the small ones will be more soon)? I want to take a proper picture of the part of the MAESTRO treasure fleet that is sitting on my desk as of now:P (my desk is full - I need a bigger desk)(not as an entry for Challenge 4, more as a tease for everyone willing to participate)

27894222164_a29bb996d7_c.jpg

(Brig(4A), Frigate(5+A), Barque(5T), Barquentine(WIP)(4T2), Schooner(5F), Xebec(5F) in the back, 2 small boats that are sloops but supposed to be cutters(2F and 2 WR); I have torn down my full-size new Terraman(5+T), my large sloop(3T2) and my mini-Warschooner(5LA)).

Edited by Legostone

I am always looking forward to your ships in great anticipation, LS, and this one did not dissappoint. (Not that they ever do... :P )

I believe this the first barque of BoBS, but might be wrong - in any case, it is a very nice example.

The hull has some very nice curves - However, it curves rather low in the middle, and then flattens out near the stern and bow - I am yet undecided whether I like it or not, but in any case, it gives it a lot of character. The tumblehome is beautifully executed, but I would like to know how you have fastened the sides to give them structural strenght. That is something I am struggling with myself.

The curved sterngallery is very pretty too, and you have avoided the worst gaps. Well done!

The brickbuilt boat on the stern davids is a nice touch, as is fishing for sharks. I would question the ability of the fishing pole and the single man to lift that shark, though! :)

The rgging is beautifully done, and you have managed to get that tautness I have commented on so many times :D Very well done! Will the masts stand on their own, or do the current rigging more or less keep them up? As before, I like how your masts are parted in three as a true shipmast. (A two part mast would, in danish at least, be a schooner mast) I do agree with Garmadon that it appears to be sailing near the wind, while the flags suggests that it is sailing with the wind right aft. ;)

As to your sails, I have a suggestion. While I am an advocate of the merits of paper sails myself, they have a tendency to look very flat and stiff, which is somewhat the case here. If you cut them out with curves, you can make them look like they are stretched by the wind and the sheets. (At least I think it worked out well on my Athena :) )

Overall great job, LS, and lots of great details. I really like how alive it is, with the crew and all that is going on. A few more crewmen aloft would be a nie touch, though. Keep it up!

:wub:

I would like to say more, but you made me run out on compliments for ships