nzemek

[MOC] Punishing One; Dengar's Starship

Hi folks!

This is my first post and first go at a MOC from scratch. Dengar has become one of my favourite Star Wars characters and I'm looking forward to having him for the first time in LEGO minifig form when my Eclipse Fighter set (75145-1) arrives. I thought for such a great character, just having the included speeder wasn't enough, so I set out to build something more appropriate—the Punishing One.

The most challenging parts were getting the crescent shape correct, attaching the SNOT built crescent to the rest of the ship, and the engine block area.

Brick count: approximately 1160

Features:

• Spring missiles on under side
  • Quad cannon on ball joint
  • Functioning ramp to interior
  • Liftable roof to view interior
  • Detachable landing gear

I'm currently in the process of seeing how soon I'd be able purchase pieces to actually build it. At that point I may submit it to LEGO Ideas.

Hope you all enjoy it! Let me know what your thoughts are.

post-160165-0-43485900-1469980852_thumb.jpg

More images on Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/145786177@N06/890s94

-Nicky

Edited by nzemek

Awesome job! I'm not sure if you know already, but the Punishing One did actually make a brief appearance in The Freemaker Adventures.

I'm sort of doubting we'll get an official set of it, though. Even if we do, your MOC will likely still be better!

Looks pretty good. The shaping is good and there's a lot of detailing on the ship. :thumbup:

Suddenly start to wonder why we don't get a offical Punishing One set as a Freemaker set, since the ship itself has appeared in the TV series.

I can't wait to see this in real bricks! Do you have any interior pictures?

Awesome job! I'm not sure if you know already, but the Punishing One did actually make a brief appearance in The Freemaker Adventures.

I'm sort of doubting we'll get an official set of it, though. Even if we do, your MOC will likely still be better!

I can't wait to see this in real bricks! Do you have any interior pictures?

Thanks for the feedback! I did see the ship in the Freemaker Adventures and was hoping to use it for some reference. I wasn't able to find a freeze frame of it with enough detail though. This model http://pro.bols.netd...0px.gif?56750f from the x-wing miniature game is what I used for most of my reference. I agree, we most likely won't see an official set soon. However, Dengar does play a bigger role in the show than I would have expected and I hope that continues.

There should be two interior pictures in the Flickr link. I'm hoping to save up for the bricks and have it built sometime after Christmas.

Edited by nzemek

I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the ships design itself but you really did a great job replicating it. I love the interior especially, the ship is surprisingly roomy on the inside! Would have been awesome if he could reach the back of the ship from the cockpit though.

Awesome! Saw it on the freemaker adventures. Was wondering when someone would make a MOC of it

i like the improvements. I do hope a set is made one day, but if not, this will definitely will do the job!

I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the ships design itself but you really did a great job replicating it. I love the interior especially, the ship is surprisingly roomy on the inside! Would have been awesome if he could reach the back of the ship from the cockpit though.

Thanks! I agree it would have been nice for the rear interior to connect to the cockpit; as far as I can assess all the bricks between the cockpit and the rear are necessary for structural integrity. However I may be able to find a resolution once I build it in person (not sure if there's any special terminology for an actual build vs digital :grin: )

i like the improvements. I do hope a set is made one day, but if not, this will definitely will do the job!

You'll at least see this one made one day! I just made a parts order for a Slave One [8097 MOD] I'm working on (will post soon) and I added on the first portion of bricks for this project. I'm hoping to have it complete by the end of January 2017.

Edited by nzemek

I haven't seen more than the first episode of Freemakers but just looking at the model you used as reference and your build, I think this is really well built.

I like the playset scale you chose for this and the interior is really nice too. :)

As for the connection of the cockpit to the back I think you might be able to use some arches to keep structural integrity and create a doorway. I'm looking forward too seeing the finished real life model (I guess there really is no proper name for it :D). I think builds just always look better in real bricks.

I haven't seen more than the first episode of Freemakers but just looking at the model you used as reference and your build, I think this is really well built.

I like the playset scale you chose for this and the interior is really nice too. :)

As for the connection of the cockpit to the back I think you might be able to use some arches to keep structural integrity and create a doorway. I'm looking forward too seeing the finished real life model (I guess there really is no proper name for it :D). I think builds just always look better in real bricks.

Thanks! I especially appreciate the comment about it being playset scale/style. I certainly appreciate UCS creations and those who make them. But there's something about actually being able to "play" with a spaceship that I can't get away from.

Thanks for the tip too! I honestly didn't even think to use arches. I'll look into the design and see if something can work out; the cockpit and attaching rear was one of the first things I tackled so I don't really remember what the innards look like in that part. I don't think I'll be heartbroken if it doesn't work out. Similarly to the Millennium falcon (75105) , I think it hardly diminishes the play and replica value to not be able to directly access the the cockpit from the rest of the ship. What do you think?

Thanks! I especially appreciate the comment about it being playset scale/style. I certainly appreciate UCS creations and those who make them. But there's something about actually being able to "play" with a spaceship that I can't get away from.

Thanks for the tip too! I honestly didn't even think to use arches. I'll look into the design and see if something can work out; the cockpit and attaching rear was one of the first things I tackled so I don't really remember what the innards look like in that part. I don't think I'll be heartbroken if it doesn't work out. Similarly to the Millennium falcon (75105) , I think it hardly diminishes the play and replica value to not be able to directly access the the cockpit from the rest of the ship. What do you think?

I agree, sometimes it's just nicer to have a model that is swooshable and doesn't break when you pick it up. And it can be quite challenging to fit as much as possible into a smaller scale.

You're very welcome, I do hope it works out. :) No, it is not necessary for the set to be a great playset but if it's possible I'd still go with it. I am currently building a larger scale Falcon (about 3/4 of the UCS) and the cockpit corridor and attaching the cockpit while keeping that doorway is extremely difficult. I really want to make it work due to the accuracy of the rest of the model so far. But I can tell you, especially with the Millennium Falcon where the corridor isn't even straight, that doorway and it's stability are a real pain..

Still, I think on your model it should be fairly easy to incorporate a doorway since you don't have to worry about connecting the cockpit windshield to the back part at all and the area behind the cockpit is slightly wider than on the Falcon, leaving you more room for supports.

I have a table scrap that's been sitting around in one of my bins for ages that might be useful to you. I was going to build the jedi cruiser from TCW but I got sidetracked.

20160809_212700.jpg

20160809_212735.jpg

You captured the shape perfectly! After seeing this on the Freemakers, I was hoping someone would do this ship. Can't wait to see it fully in bricks :classic:

Thanks again for all the support!

I spent quite a while trying to change the build so that the cockpit leads directly to the rest of the interior, but the structural and design compromises wouldn't be worth it in the end. I may give it another try once I have the the ship built in bricks.

I've uploaded a few more photos to the flickr album. I've cleaned up the color scheme and also discovered how to increase the shading quality in LDD. Since it's looking a bit more professional I think I'm going to submit it to LEGO Ideas. Keep the feedback coming and thanks again for all the support!

28928740201_17e993d9db_z.jpg

Full Flickr Album: https://www.flickr.c...157671770844766

Edited by nzemek