Sign in to follow this  
Grandelius

License plates for the 10252 Beetle

Hi!

I hope I am posting this at the right place. I just wanted to share a project I have been working on for the Lego Beetle. Basically, I have made improved license plate stickers, because I think the ones you get with the kit just looks awful. Before I print these for myself, I wanted to see if there is interest for a bulk print of these. I did set up a micro-crowdfunding which needs at least 25 supporters here:

https://www.tilt.com...-for-lego-10252

Thank you!

28349220420_5a9a99e55b_c.jpg

Edited by Grandelius

Welcome to EB!

Interesting idea. A palm tree or other detail added to the number plate would make it more interesting for a prospective buyer.

This is from the site guidelines:

"If you have a great MOC, that is also a LEGO Ideas project, you may present it on EB as you would any MOC, with a single link to the Ideas entry. Make the title about the MOC, not the Ideas business; don't be too shouty, and it is likely to be tolerated. You need to be thinking: 'I want people on EB to see my MOC and comment on it. If they like it, perhaps they'll support it on LEGO Ideas', rather than: 'I want Ideas support! If I post it on EB, perhaps more people will vote!."

I think the above policy applies for what you have posted.

​I hope that helps!

Thank you for the reply! I didn't think of this as a MOC, rather some kind of mod i guess. I am generally not much for mods myself though, which makes this project kind of tricky from the start. It is just so obvious that someone at Lego didn't really do their job on this one that I felt I had to do something about it. Adding more decals (like the palm tree you mention) would go more into the mod-direction which is why I didn't do that.

If there is not enough interest I will probably just print a one-copy sticker and use on my model instead. But since there might be others interested in fixing this, I thought it would be worth checking if others were interested to make a bulk print. I'll update the text in the first post to make this a bit more clear.

I would like to see California plates in the black with yellow lettering, as that was the style plate in the 60's(at least in the mid 60's which this car represents). The yellow with the black lettering is from the 50's.

Edited by P3_Super_Bee

I think the shift was in 1963 or something. The Brittish ones are also pre-1962 so I think it is the right version. Don't know which year the Beetle is supposed to be from though.

Don't know which year the Beetle is supposed to be from though.

4th generation '65-'67 best I can tell. (this is the first generation that had orange turn signals in the rear, also the last one to not have a gas tank filler on the outside.) So the plates don't match either the California, or UK plates.

I understand in California. Once you are issued a set of plates you can keep them forever, and do not have to change to a new style when they are released.

But I'd still like the style plate that was being issued for when this car was new.

The picture included for this generation even as the roof rack.

http://image.mamotorworksmedia.com/production/website/articlefiles/community/HistoryofVWChangespt1.pdf