I am a student, so my annual Lego budget is around $300. Since many of the instructions I want cost between $10 and $20 U.S. dollars, I cannot currently afford to buy them and the needed parts. Because many of those who sell instructions are Eurobricks members (Blakbird, Lucio Switch, etc.), I have posted here to ask if they might consider selling a certain number of instructions, (500, 1000, 2000, etc.), then making them available for free. I understand that you put a huge amount of effort into your models and instructions, and it costs time and money to create them, and I greatly appreciate that. But please consider what I have said, I am sure that I am not alone in this.

-Leonardo da Bricki

These guys really don't have to make instructions in the first place. Some prices do seem a bit steep though. Is anyone really selling 2000 downloads? :sceptic:

I am a student, so my annual Lego budget is around $300. Since many of the instructions I want cost between $10 and $20 U.S. dollars, I cannot currently afford to buy them and the needed parts. Because many of those who sell instructions are Eurobricks members (Blakbird, Lucio Switch, etc.), I have posted here to ask if they might consider selling a certain number of instructions, (500, 1000, 2000, etc.), then making them available for free. I understand that you put a huge amount of effort into your models and instructions, and it costs time and money to create them, and I greatly appreciate that. But please consider what I have said, I am sure that I am not alone in this.

-Leonardo da Bricki

Think of it this way, many of the builders don't need to create instructions for the models, and if they do so with the intention of selling them, consider how much time and effort it would take to create the instructions. I think $10-$20 is a pretty fair price. If the prices are higher, have you tried sending them a PM and asking for a discount?

Right, I think a better tactic for most folks who feel so inclined might be a student discount of some sort. Can't hurt to ask, keeping in mind the efforts they have put out to create them (as you noted). :)

Keep in mind that the paid instructions often require you to purchase additional pieces to complete the model. If you are having trouble finding space in your budget for instructions, you will certainly be in a bind when it comes time to buying additional parts.

If your collection is already big enough to build models without buying additional parts, you can spend some of your budget on instructions.

If you are missing parts and have no room in your budget for them, I suggest trying to reverse engineer the MOC and building it with whatever parts you have available. It's more of a challenge, but it's very satisfying.

Your final option is to forget about paid instructions and use free ones. Rebrickable has a lot of them, from many gifted builders. They will keep you busy for a very long time.

Personally, while I've only just begun to build with LEGO (less than a year), I've come to realise that instructions are not that useful - you'll likely end up discovering that you need to buy more parts, when in the first place you can do the same thing with parts you already have. Moreover, with just a bit of googling I can now find almost every possible solution to any problem at hand, for free!

I am a student, so my annual Lego budget is around $300. ....

please consider what I have said, I am sure that I am not alone in this.

-Leonardo da Bricki

It´s a bit ironic that students have to afford the most expensive sets such as NXT. People who are interested in Technic, but have little budget, earn my deepest compassion. I´m also not an AFOL with the largest pockets. Sometimes I´m buying instructions from the best builders only to have them in my library and to learn something. And to show some respect to them!

... Since many of the instructions I want cost between $10 and $20 U.S. dollars, I cannot currently afford to buy them and the needed parts. Because many of those who sell instructions are Eurobricks members (Blakbird, Lucio Switch, etc.), I have posted here to ask if they might consider selling a certain number of instructions, (500, 1000, 2000, etc.), then making them available for free. I understand that you put a huge amount of effort into your models and instructions, and it costs time and money to create them, and I greatly appreciate that.

-Leonardo da Bricki

I don´t think you really understand and I´m curious if Blakbird is even willing to comment on this. Your question sounds bold and silly! If you cannot afford the parts – why do you need all those instructions? There are dozens and dozens of instructions from the best builders (Madoca e.g.) on rebrickable *FREE OF CHARGE*! Are you seriously asking for discount on 200/1000/2000 – like bulk discount in industry?? Maybe you´ll even find something satisfying your needs out there in “darknet” – good luck! I´ve heard some of these pirates are also members here on EB – shame on them forever!

Edited by brunojj1

Don't keep models. My annual budget is around 300 $ too. This means I can rarely have complete 2 models at once. The main reason is not money (I could afford to spend more) but limited space (renting a small flat with my girlfriend).

I only bought one instruction during my AFOL years: for Crowkillers' Vampire GT. As others have said, there are many free instructions (I browsed most of them).

Okay, this post may be irrelevant since maybe you are more of a collector type. Are you? Or do you want to learn from the instructions?

I am a collector to, but most MOC's I really want to build cost money.

My budget is even tighter that the ones mentioned above, it is between €150,- and €250,- per year.

It took me four years to build the Actros from Sandman.

I really don't mind that people are asking money for there great instructions, often better then those from TLG.

And like said above, you could indeed wright a pm and ask if the person would consider giving you a discount.

Edited by Dafgek81

I am gonna go for unpopular one here.

If I can't afford something, I do not buy it.

Simple as that.

There different types of instructions you can produce - digital file, photo instructions, and high quality PDF instructions similar to the TLG ones. The last option is something that I understand why people ask money for them. It could take weeks to produce the final product, depending on your skills, model size and free time you have.

My suggestion would be to have a look at Rebrickable where you can add the pieces you have and then check what is missing for the model you wish to build. This could help you deciding if it is worth buying instruction or there are just too much parts you need to buy.

There different types of instructions you can produce - digital file, photo instructions, and high quality PDF instructions similar to the TLG ones. The last option is something that I understand why people ask money for them. It could take weeks to produce the final product, depending on your skills, model size and free time you have.

My suggestion would be to have a look at Rebrickable where you can add the pieces you have and then check what is missing for the model you wish to build. This could help you deciding if it is worth buying instruction or there are just too much parts you need to buy.

I second that.

I to check partslists before I will buy them.

I have bought one set of instructions in the past, but I will never built it, lost interest in it, there is already a better version of it, that is more interesting to me.

Is it neccessary to buy instructions? There are tons of instructions available for free. Besides, most MOCs need some very rare and expensive parts.

Is it neccessary to buy instructions? There are tons of instructions available for free. Besides, most MOCs need some very rare and expensive parts.

Well, the problem is, that the better MOC's don't have free instructions.

Like Lucio's new dumptruck and Jurgens Manitou telehandler.

Also Designer Han's models aren't free anymore.

Which I can understand since multiple persons are selling them online in Holland.

My opinion on that is that you should not do this.

If you buy instructions, you should only build it for yourself.

Don't sell it, if someone wants the MOC, they can buy the instructions and parts themselves.

If I can't afford something, I do not buy it.

Simple as that.

You are wise indeed.

Well, the problem is, that the better MOC's don't have free instructions.

Like Lucio's new dumptruck and Jurgens Manitou telehandler.

Also Designer Han's models aren't free anymore.

Which I can understand since multiple persons are selling them online in Holland.

My opinion on that is that you should not do this.

If you buy instructions, you should only build it for yourself.

Don't sell it, if someone wants the MOC, they can buy the instructions and parts themselves.

That´s the problem which I see immediately! Somebody has no money - so what - go and try to get it anyway. Or go and steal it, better - sell it to others for "discount". ONE is not enough, there should be HUNDREDS /THOUSANDS! Such people ruin the creative energy of some of the artists who are putting a lot of effort to offer quality products to sincere people. Respect for (intellectual) property is beeing extremely violated nowadays. Such discussions have been hold regularly on this forum and I hope it speaks to some people´s conscience. I just can´t immagine to build "cheaply" some other´s MOC having illegaly saved some money on instructions - must be a great feeling...

Stick with mocs from Madoca, and Nico71 if you can't afford buying instructions. Both builders combined will give you years of building for free due to how many mocs and free instructions they offer. Otherwise spend the $10 on instructions of your choice and be happy you did.

I have a wife and therefore a strict budget, simple, and I plan carefully a year in advance. I also understand the time and effort not only to design the models but then create the instructions, which is not trivial.

I'm going to open my own webshop with instructions of my moc's very soon. But my prices are lower than other people have. Why? Because i realy think the prices are very steep by other sellers. That is my opinion.

But it is every ones own choice to buy expencesive instructions or not. But i will not go higher than 7,50 euro's for the biggest instructions. Further prices will be from 3 euro, 5 euro up till 7,50 euro.

Are these prices ok?

Please let me know.

Thanks for everyone's input. I didn't mean to turn this into a discussion of copyrights/selling of others instructions.

@ Richard L aka Scooby: those are prices I would be willing to pay.

That's something i carefully avoid in mine.

All depends the quality of your work.

Quality is different for every body. Some one likes a moc or not likes it. Maybe you like the moc but you want to fine tune it for his own interrest. Its there own free choise if he likes a moc or not. Every as a moc builder is not born as a "Lego Han" or a "Grohl" you will grow as a builder by each new moc what you build or instruction what you draw. That's fine with me.

But thanks about the info over the prices.

I'm going to open my own webshop with instructions of my moc's very soon. But my prices are lower than other people have. Why? Because i realy think the prices are very steep by other sellers. That is my opinion.

But it is every ones own choice to buy expencesive instructions or not. But i will not go higher than 7,50 euro's for the biggest instructions. Further prices will be from 3 euro, 5 euro up till 7,50 euro.

Are these prices ok?

Please let me know.

I don't think that most prices asked for instructions are to high, people spend hundreds of hours making instructions, other people test them and when they are good, they are up for sale.

TLG gets there instructions paid for by selling thousands off copies from the same model.

Expensive MOC instructions are maybe sold to let's say a hundred people, so the price per copy has to be higher to pay for all the time put in to them.

I have an MOC on my wish list, it's a truck, for display, so no motors, but very, very, highly detailed.

It will cost around €50,- for instructions alone, why you might ask?

Because he has spend months off work on it and only a few people will buy them, maybe five or ten people.

It's a steep price, but I am willing to pay that amount of money to have a rare MOC on my shelf

Edited by Dafgek81