Sign in to follow this  
TheMindGarage

[PORSCHE] [MOC] Porsche 914.5 SpyTarg

This is my entry for the Rebrick competition. Essentially, it is a mashup of the 911 Targa and 918 Spyder (the 914.5 is the average of the two model numbers). It is built to 1:10 scale. Back in 2011, there were rumours of Porsche introducing a model between the 911 and 918 Spyder (one website did joke about calling it the 914.5), but such a model hasn't yet been manufactured (although it is being developed as the Porsche 960). The model is roughly 1:10 scale at about 58 studs long, 25 wide (27 including mirrors) and 16 high with 68.8x36mm wheels.

Please bear in mind that I am a relatively inexperienced builder having only been building for 2 years and with only a few thousand parts to hand - by the end, I had completely run out of light grey parts. I went for function over form - while I am good with making ultra-compact mechanical systems such as gearboxes and suspended axles, bodywork isn't really my strong point.

Sorry that the video is a little shaky - looking into getting better video equipment. Please watch it - you'll get to see the internal workings right down to the core! I haven't provided many pictures here because the detailed stuff is in the video. This is the FULL video (>1min) - the video I submitted to the Rebrick competition is a cut-down unlisted version of this.

IMG_7959.jpg

IMG_7932.jpg

IMG_7929.jpg

IMG_7928.jpg

IMG_7924.jpg

A full list of functions:

• Flat-6 piston engine in rear, driving rear axle.
  • 8-speed paddle-shifting gearbox (sequential) for the piston engine.
  • PF Large motor driving the front (no gearbox, just like the 918). Unfortunately, I don't have any IR components other than MINDSTORMS, so it isn't RC.
  • Full independent suspension with non-zero camber and castor angles (I think it also has kingpin inclination - not sure about that).
  • Steering wheel operates 4-wheel steering.
  • The knobs on the front (black 12-tooth gears) and rear (hidden, accessible through rear window) control the suspension's ride height. Each wheel has its own control, so it is possible to make the car lean to one side (might be useful for oval racing).
  • Two seats in the front with opening doors.
  • Retractable rear wing.
  • Folding targa-style roof.

I also made a few custom stickers for this model (unprofessionally of course - just printed them out on paper). The Porsche logo is on the front, the steering wheel and the wheel hubs. The rear air intake slits (911-style) are also done with a sticker. I added the Porsche brand name and a fake model name on the back. The "Spy" and "Targ" bits were edited out of the actual "Spyder" and "Targa" logos; the "914.5" was done from scratch. The number plates aren't my own - you may recognise them from the 42043 set.

You can probably tell that I lacked good headlight pieces even after searching though my dust-filled System brick collection. The best I could find were white 24-tooth clutch gears - I guess that gives it a hardcore-TECHNIC feel.

Thanks for reading :D!

This is an awesome model. Yes, it's obvious you were scrambling for pieces - and that's a huge part of what makes it so appealing. I love the rustic, old-school feeling it has to it. You've got bucketloads of talent, mate.

I love the models with those looks,and this is one of my favorites!