VBBN

No Bionicle in 2017 confirmed

I've thoroughly enjoyed Bionicle G2, so it certainly wasn't wasted on me. It feels kind of unreasonable to act like cool things should never be shown to fans unless those fans are subsequently given the means to buy and/or build them. Complaints like that are the reason LEGO no longer puts inspiration models on most boxes — because they got too many calls from parents who felt that showing kids cool examples of what they could build with their own imaginations and then not going to the extra expense to make and release instructions was false advertising.

Look, you can argue in Lego's favor all you want, but there is no denying they made a dumb move.

The ending to G1 was better thought out.

Edited by Jetrax99

I'm still baffled by the fact they can't give a reason for it being cancelled.

Didn't they have a reason the first time around?

Why not this time?

I mean, despite what Lego's twitter may claim about the line's performance, I believe the only logical answer is that poor sales led to the premature end.

Like many of you, I feel betrayed by this. However, it's not the cancellation that angers me; sure, it's saddening, but I try not to be the annoying, "I buy all your stuff so you're obligated to cater my every whim" entitled fan. Though they weren't perfect (nothing ever is), I'm glad with the few sets and the little piece of story we got these two years.

Rather, it's how LEGO handled the cancellation that upsets me.

Say what you will about Stars, but back then LEGO was upfront about it! we knew it was the end of BIONICLE; in fact, it was a huge part of their merchandise. And though the sets were weak and the story was rushed, it was better than the alternative: to have ~10 years of storyline just cut short without a final confrontation, as it happened with many other lines like Exo-Force and Knights' Kingdom II.

This is not what we got for G2. Instead, they held back that information till the very last moment, giving us a sense of false hope for nearly half an year, making us think we would still have 2017. They even showed us a set and a piece that will never be made, for crying out loud! I always tried to keep myself optimistic despite all the "doom and gloom" predictions, and I feel betrayed with this move; I can only imagine how those who publically argued against those comments must feel. I bet a lot of the anger and vitriol from this discussion would've been avoided if LEGO had been more honest about the cancellation.

I wonder if this is actually a marketing strategy to make us think Bionicle is ending so we buy everything in bulk and clearance, then are all like "lol fooled you makin' bank" and unveil G3?

Or maybe I watch too much anime.

...I'm not sure that'll really improve matters. I think most people would be REALLY pissed if LEGO pulled a move like that (I know I would, right before feeling relief).

Edited by The Outsider

I try not to be the annoying, "I buy all your stuff so you're obligated to cater my every whim" entitled fan.

There are people who underline certain details in order to prove they care about the line, not because they think LEGO has any obligation to them. :wink:

I think the promise LEGO made two years ago was a deal with all the fans, not just with those willing to pay the most. Therefore we all have the same right to feel betrayed.

Is the art-book they mentioned in the Makuta contest going to be available? And if it is, do you think its possible that's how the MoUP can be obtained?

I'm going to copy my post from TTV onto here, to express why I'm disappointed with the line's ending, or rather, how it was handled.

There are some comments expressing gratitude that JtO managed to at least tie up the story cleanly given the limited budget and rushed ending. And I agree! Those two episodes of JtO were very enjoyable, certainly much better than any of the G1 movies. And the majority of G2's sets were a glorious way to see the characters of our childhood expressed through more modern and updated functions and designs.

The reason that I feel betrayed and let down by the ending of G2 is not because we won't be getting more sets or story content, but because there is nothing left behind for us to cling on to.

Look back at G1's ending. Yes, the Stars were an atrocity. Yes, we moaned (and are still moaning) about those unfinished online serials. So G1's ending had some rough edges. It was definitely rushed. But it left behind infinite potential for imagination, for creativity, for fanfics and MOCs and everything the community needed to survive. It left behind a whole planet full of diverse characters. Some were heroes, some were villains. Some had been around since '01, while others we had just met. Some could proudly claim to exist in physical form in the households of children around the world, while others were conceived in the mind of Greg Farshtey and existed only in words. We had MUians and Bara Magnans, strong warriors and humble villagers, Vortixx, Skakdi, Steltians, and Skrall. We had some greater evils like the Shadowed One's new collection of villains, and some lesser evils like Strakk, an outcast and a thug.

Do you know why my profile picture is Ehlek? Look more closely. He's missing something. His spines. Ehlek was already a waterbreather before he was thrown into the Pit, so when the Barraki were mutated, his only change was to grow spines on his back. And when Mata Nui cured everyone and everything that had been twisted out of its natural shape, Ehlek was therefore the only Barraki to now be represented as a set. All the others had been returned to their original forms, and we don't know what they look like. So to me, Ehlek represents a perfect example of the potential for uniqueness and personality that every G1 Bionicle character has. He was just some random villain from '07, part of a team of six, just like always... and then Carapar died, and Takadox turned traitor, and they made an alliance with the Order, and then with the Shadowed One, and--- do you see what I'm getting at? G1's characters had the potential to be more than what the set design teams and marketing department wanted them to be. They could sell toys, make money, and still create a world for children (and adults) to explore and generate their own ideas in.

G2, in contrast, leaves behind only a single island, populated by one species, with precisely thirteen at-large individual characters released as sets: the Protectors, the Creatures, and Ekimu, who isn't even his powered-up form anymore. The Toa are gone. Agil is gone (and it's not even clear why!). We have the names of exactly two non-set villagers: Harvali and Bingzak. There's a scarcity of villains, too: all of the villains to receive individual names and personalities are either trapped under rubble in a sealed-off cave (Kulta and Axato), or imprisoned by magic runes which they'll never escape from in the Mask Maker's Forge (Skull Basher), or dead (Lord of Skull Spiders and Umarak).

Oh, wait, I guess that means Skull Slicer's still around. Great, except that he has never talked, he has no personality (we're not even sure if he's sentient), and all of the source information on him is conflicting or nonexistent. (Hook Blades fused to hands? Under the control of LoSS? And why does he have four arms?) And even if the villains that had personality, like Kulta and Umarak, were still around to cause trouble, or even if the Skull Spiders and Shadow Traps suddenly gained sentience and started crafting elaborate plots to assassinate Ekimu, at the end of the day, they're all two-dimensional, because every single villain in the series (after Umarak's transformation) was just a servant of the one Big Bad. No unique characters like Takadox or Roodaka or Malum, loyal only to themselves, willing to work for the villain if it will benefit them, but equally willing to stab him in the back just to make a quick profit.

"But Duplex!", you say. "This means we can create the story ourselves! We can think of other islands, other hidden threats on Okoto, anything we want!" Guess what? We could do that with G1 too. We always could. With the vast planet of Spherus Magna and the hidden depths of the Matoran Universe, there was always the potential for a determined fanfic writer to create whatever they wanted, to find some undiscovered place where an undiscovered creature or species lurked. The rich roster of G1 characters and locations provided a backbone that fans could expand with their own ideas however they chose. And yes, there's nothing stopping you from doing that with the scraps that remain of G2 as well. But it's not the same. It never will be, and we all know it.

I just went on Amazon and purchased, from various retailers, the remaining Protectors and Creatures that I don't have. Some, like Narmoto and Ketar, are in my opinion not very good sets, and I would not have bought them otherwise. But they're all we've got left. It's just sad that the failings of G2's story and worldbuilding are ultimately the same problems that leave us now, that the line has ended, with a bland, unfulfilling Okoto with limited creative potential.

Edited by DuplexBeGreat

Is the art-book they mentioned in the Makuta contest going to be available? And if it is, do you think its possible that's how the MoUP can be obtained?

It won't be available to the general public, mostly because the demand is almost non-existent. BS01 will host scans.

Duplex--I know I'm going to use my 2016 Onua as Onua Nuva who has settled into crystal caves deep in Spherus Magna; the crystal motif and Nuva symbol work great for adaptive armor. So, G2 can have some G1 use, too.

Say what you will about Stars, but back then LEGO was upfront about it! we knew it was the end of BIONICLE; in fact, it was a huge part of their merchandise. And though the sets were weak and the story was rushed, it was better than the alternative: to have ~10 years of storyline just cut short without a final confrontation, as it happened with many other lines like Exo-Force and Knights' Kingdom II.

Isn't that... exactly what happened here? In 2009, we had were similar rumors of a cancellation, combined with the leaks of the weird looking Stars sets. Finally LEGO was like "yeah, this is the last wave" and we deviated from the original three year Spherus Magna movie plan to the final ending.

Back then we didn't know anything about it that we know now; that Kelly fought for the final wave, that they hadn't been factoring in new molds to the pricing for the line, etc. And the vitriolic response was similar! Talks of betrayal and backstabbing and whatnot.

Here they were good enough to let some people know about the ending, and actively worked towards making a definitive conclusion. Much like 2009, they could have just ended it, but instead the went back and reworked the story to give us something much more satisfying. And they made it a point to give the fans something they'd been asking for ever since the line started: an art book.

The art book is limited to 100 copies, and there won't be anything included in it; the only mask models that exist and ever will exist are prototypes at LEGO.

BS01 will have a few physical copies to give out, and we'll host the files too =)

I mean, despite what Lego's twitter may claim about the line's performance, I believe the only logical answer is that poor sales led to the premature end.

Yeah.....there is honestly no other legitimate, logical reason for it being concluded the way it was concluded, except that it was selling poorly. I totally agree it was sales. Kids nowadays just do not seem to care as much about Bionicle as kids did a decade ago. If it was planned on being ended during JtO's production, this was an early choice...which I think means even the first wave of G2 did not sell well at all...add to that the fact that the skull villains most certainly didn't sell well (I honestly don't think they did) and....you have G2 getting cancelled so quickly. JtO had a different direction a few months back, that much is obvious. I'm pretty sure the plan was for Makuta to get out of the shadow realm and for the Toa to change forms again...except that LEGO decided, due to poor sales, that they needed to cut the theme completely. It's really sad....I'm not angry at LEGO or anything...I'm just very, very sad about it ending like this.

Isn't that... exactly what happened here? In 2009, we had were similar rumors of a cancellation, combined with the leaks of the weird looking Stars sets. Finally LEGO was like "yeah, this is the last wave" and we deviated from the original three year Spherus Magna movie plan to the final ending.

Back then we didn't know anything about it that we know now; that Kelly fought for the final wave, that they hadn't been factoring in new molds to the pricing for the line, etc. And the vitriolic response was similar! Talks of betrayal and backstabbing and whatnot.

Here they were good enough to let some people know about the ending, and actively worked towards making a definitive conclusion. Much like 2009, they could have just ended it, but instead the went back and reworked the story to give us something much more satisfying. And they made it a point to give the fans something they'd been asking for ever since the line started: an art book.

I'm not understanding this reaction at all...they didn't backstab anyone. They actually ended the series (mind you, I think that was originally going to end like that, with the Toa sacrificing themselves to defeat Makuta...it just did not include extra waves of sets and some story bits) and were nice enough to send out a message about the discontinuing of Bionicle. I don't know about other themes....but that was really nice that they actually let us know.

Dorek, I know you have your reasons, but you really can't compare the effort that was made in G1 (an effort that gave us a FULL WAVE of sets with new molds!) to the one that was made in G2. This time all they did was literally asking LEGO "can we rewrite the last five minutes of the story in order to give it a vaguely cohesive end?". LEGO's effort was minimal and it would have actually been counterproductive for them to end a "story driven" (...) theme without a proper ending.

And I don't really think we can keep on saying today's kids don't like BIONICLE. As it was already proved action figures are on the rise since 2013, and movies like Transformers during the last decade created a generation interested in robot-looking characters.

If BIONICLE failed, blaming the toys themselves is a clear blunder. At least, putting all the blame on their shoulders.

The more I think about this, I guess the more I'm accepting it. After all, £200+ extra a year for me to spend on other things is never bad. Though if LEGO don't come out with a replacement Constraction theme next year to run alongside the SW figures, I will really miss the excitement I got from discovering new and wonderful CCBS moulds and recolours in new sets most of all.

Has anybody tried asking LEGO on Twitter if they even plan on giving Constraction a reasonable presence in 2017, outside of Star Wars? Just a simple yes/no question. I'd do it myself, but I don't have a Twitter account and neither do I want a Twitter account :look:

Dorek, I know you have your reasons, but you really can't compare the effort that was made in G1 (an effort that gave us a FULL WAVE of sets with new molds!) to the one that was made in G2. This time all they did was literally asking LEGO "can we rewrite the last five minutes of the story in order to give it a vaguely cohesive end?". LEGO's effort was minimal and it would have actually been counterproductive for them to end a "story driven" (...) theme without a proper ending.

People keep using the word "effort" like it's a magical wish that can turn dreams into reality if you just believe hard enough.

I'm not going to say that the end result has more money attached to it; obviously it doesn't. But that's neither a dispassionate corporate edict nor a result of jaded workers not caring about the final product (the latter implication is insulting regardless, but especially so now that I've actually met these people and can see how hard they work!). The team had to work within restraints, yes, but LEGO was willing to throw more money in for a final conclusion; it's a vastly more involved process than just "rewriting the ending", although a large chunk of my upcoming interview details the collaboration with Volta, so I'll let that speak for itself.

It might be "counterproductive" to axe a line unceremoniously (from the perspective of alienating segments of the fanbase), but at the point where the rewrites occurred, that was already a reality; the end result is a dedication to the people that have stuck by it. It might not be perfect, but it shows caring and pride in the brand, and I think it's a shame people can't see past themselves to that.

Has anybody tried asking LEGO on Twitter if they even plan on giving Constraction a reasonable presence in 2017, outside of Star Wars? Just a simple yes/no question. I'd do it myself, but I don't have a Twitter account and neither do I want a Twitter account :look:

It doesn't sound like it to me. Based on everything I learned in Denmark (development times, when BIONICLE was canceled, etc) it sounds like the earliest we would see something is 2018, and I think the answers on Twitter seem to confirm as much.

I'd love to be wrong, though! A whole year without constraction is going to be hard...

It doesn't sound like it to me. Based on everything I learned in Denmark (development times, when BIONICLE was canceled, etc) it sounds like the earliest we would see something is 2018, and I think the answers on Twitter seem to confirm as much.

I'd love to be wrong, though! A whole year without constraction is going to be hard...

Not necessarily a whole year. Everyone and their grandma can see them making sets for the 8th Star Wars film (and no, I don't mean Rogue One). To tie that void I wouldn't be surprised if they try Nexo Knights figures for the next summer, shouldn't take that long to design sets for that.

Edited by GK733

It's only the constraction category where the in-house themes seem to be struggling more and more with each passing year, and even licensed themes don't appear to be a guaranteed hit in that category — after all, Super Heroes constraction sets only lasted one year compared to Legends of Chima's two. Whatever reasons there may be to worry about what Bionicle's cancellation means for the future of LEGO, licensed themes aren't one of them.

this makes the most sense and I have no idea how to process this: that it is the very medium that is killing itself rather than some outside force. we are the old fogies desperately clinging onto an outmoded technology we claim that will last forever.

it makes me wonder what made G1 so successful now: was it the killer buildable action figure aspect or the story that came with it? would have we been the Bionicle fans we are today if the theme was a brick built system series like the past? if say it was Ninjago that debuted in 2001 would have it lasted the 10 years Bionicle had if story is what mattered? because I think Exo-Force was a story based theme as well as Space police 3 and several other themes and they didn't last as long.

was Bionicle G1 that rare lightning in a bottle that had the perfect mix of elements that appealed to an Aughties kid, with some refinement to the formula that created the lego juggernaut Ninjago became?

does Bionicle deserve to die for good, not as a corpse of the unfit creature weeded out of the genepool but the rare fossil of the missing link that bridges the past to the present, if my analogy fits?

i personally want Bionicle the storylien brught back for its expansive world and intricate lore and all the other intellectual meat that feeds a fantasy geek but would i want it back as another flop due to its medium? will i be comfortable with a system bionicle playset and battlepack than a bionicle figure and accessory pack? i think i might perosnally.

was Bionicle G1 that rare lightning in a bottle that had the perfect mix of elements

In my opinion, yeah. The longer G2's gone on it's become increasingly evident to me that the success and popularity of BIONICLE during the early days of G1 was likely a fluke or, at the very least, a rare occurrence that will likely never happen again. It was the perfect storm of elements that took place at the perfect time under the perfect set of circumstances, and the attempts to recreate that magic by taking attributes of BIONICLE and reapplying them to the current day doesn't seem to have even close to the same effect.

We have the names of exactly two non-set villagers: Harvali and Bingzak.

Actually that's not true, there's also Melea, Ako and Oda from the third book :P

In my opinion, yeah. The longer G2's gone on it's become increasingly evident to me that the success and popularity of BIONICLE during the early days of G1 was likely a fluke or, at the very least, a rare occurrence that will likely never happen again. It was the perfect storm of elements that took place at the perfect time under the perfect set of circumstances, and the attempts to recreate that magic by taking attributes of BIONICLE and reapplying them to the current day doesn't seem to have even close to the same effect.

As with any extremely successful franchise, BIONICLE has to compete with itself. Gen1 wasn't the first constraction theme, but it was among the first and it was the breakout one, thus it ran for nine years, thus it was replaced by Hero Factory, and thus Gen2 was nowhere near as novel as its forbearer. That's not to say that Gen2 couldn't have become a runaway success, simply that it was always going to have to work a lot harder to achieve it.

In terms of reactions and mulling over yet again I think a key part of why the reaction has been so strong and negative is timing. I guarantee the reaction regarding the MoUP wouldn't be so bad if they revealed the Makuta Contest AFTER the last episode of Journey to One. Seems like a small detail but it makes a big difference, instead of representing a broken hope it would have represented a fan-oriented sendoff with much more enthusiasm.

Are you trying to be sarcastic or something, I don't get it. :classic:

I was pointing out that we were never promised a thing. All we were told was that Bionicle was returning, and all we knew about sets 2 years ago was that the toa would be returning as well.

Edited by DraikNova

Been a long time since I posted a message here - even forgot my username temporarily - but this piece of news was a bit of a surprise to me and just wanted to add my two cents. I kind of gave up on Lego as a whole after the ending of Hero Factory since I was burned out by themes ending prematurely without proper endings (first Exo Force, then Bionicle G1 and then Hero Factory) and having to financially reinvest in a new line every 2-3 years. though I still kept up with prominent Lego news here and there for general curiosity and old times sake.

Even though I never followed the G2 line - in sets or story - I do feel quite sad reading this news as I can really imagine how disappointed some people are feeling as I was when G1 ended. Had a quick watch of the last episode of JTO and that Makuta set looks like it would have been one of the best sets of G2 if it had come out - really a shame as I didn't think it was too much to expect a new Makuta set to be released somewhere in the G2 life cycle among other things :sceptic:

I guess in terms of moving on, let's hope that Lego takes what it can from G2 and use it to make a new and even better constructable figure line that everyone can enjoy, a sentiment that has been said several times already in this forum. Though of my own personal added opinion, I would like to encourage Lego to avoid getting into the pattern of ending a theme (particularly with those that have a relatively interesting story) outright or at least with a sense that the fans have lost something even if it was tied up quickly - in this case it was the MOUP for the G2 fans (personally for me it was never getting the fifth G1 Bionicle movie after reading GregF's teaser script or the corresponding sets that would have come from it :laugh: ) as having a long favorite series cut prematurely, Lego or any other entertainment medium, can really ruin someone's day, even more so for the dedicated fans who kept to said series since its beginning. In most cases, I feel better planning and foresight could reduce disappointment in fans - as some have said already, if one more wave of G2 was released in 2017 including the Makuta set, I think this announcement would've been a lot easier to take in.

But still, despite all that's said, it was really refreshing seeing a lot of familiar users that I frequently saw 2-3 years back still remaining active on the Eurobricks forums and giving the same passionate thoughts and opinions in their posts exactly as they did before, even as this might be a sadder day for some. Unfortunately I have lost most of my passion in Lego as reiterated earlier, something that I considerably miss but it was definitely worthwhile coming back here and to remind myself of this ever present and active community, even if it was for a brief moment only :sweet:

Edited by Nike2032

I was pointing out that we were never promised a thing. All we were told was that Bionicle was returning, and all we knew about sets 2 years ago was that the toa would be returning as well.

We knew since day 1 that two characters named Ekimu and Makuta existed in the story. We even saw them in the animations. We knew we were gonna get them physically sooner or later.

And by January 2015, with the reveal of the Ekimu set, it was 100% guaranteed.

One thing is sure: we were promised the mask of ultimate power, they even showed it to us literally last week.

But we will never get it.

That's inexcusable.

I can't believe this was written by one of the people leading the BIONICLE community.

BIONICLE is a timeless classic with tons o potential. Describing it as a "one time wonder" is truly offensive for the people that created it and believed in it until the very last day.

We knew since day 1 that two characters named Ekimu and Makuta existed in the story. We even saw them in the animations. We knew we were gonna get them physically sooner or later.

And by January 2015, with the reveal of the Ekimu set, it was 100% guaranteed.

One thing is sure: we were promised the mask of ultimate power, they even showed it to us literally last week.

But we will never get it.

That's inexcusable.

We didn't know any of these things, same as seeing a giant robot in the 2008 animations didn't mean we were getting a set of that. The reveal of the mask piece itself was a bit of a snafu (see below) but if anything would have been "inexcusable" (enough with the rhetoric and hyperbole...) it would have been not seeing anything at all and instead having a shapeless lump of black flame. Which was the alternative.

In terms of reactions and mulling over yet again I think a key part of why the reaction has been so strong and negative is timing. I guarantee the reaction regarding the MoUP wouldn't be so bad if they revealed the Makuta Contest AFTER the last episode of Journey to One. Seems like a small detail but it makes a big difference, instead of representing a broken hope it would have represented a fan-oriented sendoff with much more enthusiasm.

Unfortunately, that was the idea; the video was definitely not intended to be released until after the episodes had been shown.

The video itself seems deliberately crafted to avoid mentioning the actual end of the line, but maybe that backfired and somebody thought it was okay to post since it didn't give away the "big secret".