VBBN

No Bionicle in 2017 confirmed

Hmm. I never had any experience with G1, and only ever bought one set (Gali, although one of my kids got the purple one as a present). So, although I don't have much personal connection to it, I always saw Bionicle with a certain awe--something I appreciated but never fully understood. I always hoped to pick up more sets and master the CCBS system, but budgets always squeezed them out in favor of normal system sets. I am sad it is ending, and now CCBS will probably always remain a bit of a mystery to me.

i just read Dorek's letter:

[quote name='

BIONICLEsector01:An Open Letter to BIONICLE Fans

']

They could not give us specifics of what led to that decision; people are still free to rage and debate on factors like reception, sales, cost of production, or what have you. It was implied that the decision was made during production of the Netflix series, and that rewrites altered the final outcome of the story.

I think this may be worse than G1 because the decision was made smack in the middle of production! it wasn't like in the middle of the pitch prep when it was just written down ideas they had at least some designs and specialty elements manufactured (assuming Lego is as tight knit with the studios making their shows like they were with the lego movie to ensure product consistency) so that is like some expensive processes wasted.

and it baffles me even further that they cut it from the final year when they could have made some returns on the molds and whatnot they already made. just give us a winter wave with some sort of ending and the complete collection of the3 legendary masks! they could have even gone the downright cheap route and just released a single protector sized Mask maker Makuta with the MoUP and let fans make the "original" by giving him the MoCo we already own from Umarak .

what has happened that made them halt production so abruptly???

So that thing that was supposed to happen on Sunday happened today instead?

Yuuuuuup.

Honestly I'm fine with the decision to end it early. Though the fact were not getting the MOUP is a big dissapointment. I guess I will be using the red and gunmetal Umarak mask as the MOUP.

I think they could at least give us the instructions for JTO Makuta's design seeing as it is a combination set of 2015 and 2016 sets.

Honestly I'm fine with the decision to end it early. Though the fact were not getting the MOUP is a big dissapointment. I guess I will be using the red and gunmetal Umarak mask as the MOUP.

I think they could at least give us the instructions for JTO Makuta's design seeing as it is a combination set of 2015 and 2016 sets.

I'll be asking LEGO for some high quality photos (they gave me some for every model except that one! And shadow villager) of the model, but hopefully people will be willing to make a start on reverse-engineering it based on what we have now. We're not going to get instructions, but I sure as hell plan on building him.

I actually could see LEGO perhaps releasing a final Makuta set in the near future....perhaps if fans want it so badly. I wouldn't be expecting it, however, other than perhaps releasing the MOUP in another way and releasing combiner instructions for the character. I'm sure it's an open end there....but it is highly unlikely.

Sad to see Bionicle gone for good. G2 sets were underwhelming in my opinion compared to G1 sets. Yes initially seeing them in stores was awesome, but after the first wave, none of the sets stood out to me and I just lost excitement with the reboot of my favorite childhood theme. Maybe it's just me being nostalgic, but G1 sets were just better. Down to the point of the boxes being well-designed plastic containers with different color schemes based on the color of the set just made them so appealing to the eyes of children rather than a delicate complex cardboard box with the same bland design on each one.

Looking back at the 2001 sets, what Lego failed to do this time around was hit us with some awesome BIG sets early. In 2001, the 5 big rahi sets released, the most expensive one being like $80, but people fell in love with the series. This time you were stuck with small henchmen villains and couldn't get a menacing creature the size of the 2001 Manas Crab, Tarakava, or Muaka and Kane-Ra. Not to mention that there still hasn't been another remote-control set since the Manas. It's a shame because remote controls are the ultimate functionality for Bionicles.

So I am not too surprised that this theme reboot came to an early end, I just wish that they would have done this reboot right and I think if they did release bigger sets and better design, innovation, then we would not have received this message from Lego this early.

Not to mention that the functionality of the new sets' shooters was awful and got studs everywhere. I prefer the hinge mechanisms and disks much more.

Edited by Cjd223

I'll be asking LEGO for some high quality photos (they gave me some for every model except that one! And shadow villager) of the model, but hopefully people will be willing to make a start on reverse-engineering it based on what we have now. We're not going to get instructions, but I sure as hell plan on building him.

Can you ask Lego to atleast release the Mask of Ultimate Power? I'm actually being half serious here, Lego probably wouldn't do it but considering the MoUP is literally the most important mask in the story of G2 I(and I assume many others) feel kind of betrayed to not get it at all.

A guy going by toaprime on TFW made a point that LEGO could have included the MoUP with Ekimu instead of the insignificant repaint of Umarak's mask.

At least that way we would have gotten all 3 legendary masks.

Edited by Jetrax99

I actually could see LEGO perhaps releasing a final Makuta set in the near future....perhaps if fans want it so badly. I wouldn't be expecting it, however, other than perhaps releasing the MOUP in another way and releasing combiner instructions for the character. I'm sure it's an open end there....but it is highly unlikely.

LEGO Ideas, plain and simple. We won't be getting the mask, but if there'e enough fiscal demand, it's at least in the realm of possibility.

Can you ask Lego to atleast release the Mask of Ultimate Power? I'm actually being half serious here, Lego probably wouldn't do it but considering the MoUP is literally the most important mask in the story of G2 I(and I assume many others) feel kind of betrayed to not get it at all.

They've already said they won't release the mask, and they told me as much in June, when I was in Denmark. I think Aanchir pointed out that they were made using a rapid prototyping machine, and he was right, the few that exist were; for legal reasons, they weren't allowed to send one home with the fan groups (nuts).

Although, amusingly, they also had one in black (like in the show), which I have yet to see in their images released.

A guy going by toaprime on TFW made a point that LEGO could have included the MoUP with Ekimu instead of the insignificant repaint of Umarak's mask.

Not really... a recolor is much less expensive than a new mould. They had likely already decided to cease production at that point.

I disagree about this. LEGO did a LOT of things to promote Bionicle G2: making it the sole focus of their NYCC 2014 presence, giving it its own official Facebook page (and cross-promoting a lot of Bionicle content on the main LEGO Facebook page), filming lots of designer videos, making a Bionicle mask one of their highly publicized SDCC exclusives, running TV spots for both the first three waves of sets AND the year one webisodes on channels like Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, giving it its own insert in the January 2016 LEGO Club magazine, putting highly conspicuous Bionicle displays in stores like Target and Toys 'R' Us, creating two free mobile apps, publishing chapter books, graphic novels, and an activity book, giving it its own Netflix miniseries, sending a Bionicle designer to BrickFair New Jersey, and as you mention, running various contests.

Maybe these things might not have been as effective as LEGO hoped they'd be, but no sensible person could reasonably suggest LEGO didn't spend any money or go to any effort to advertise or promote the theme.

And I disagree about this. Say, how many people from your target demographic actually attended NYCC? It's a very small percentage if we're talking about the kids from the whole world - which is what the theme was aimed at. Own official Facebook page? And how many people who don't know what Bionicle is would find it? Same with the designer videos? Kids who had no interest in Lego before had like no chance of finding those, simply because they weren't really advertised outside Lego communities. SDCC exclusives? Again, very few of your customers would go there. TV spots? You mean those things that like, every other theme has? Not to mention they were hardly a thing in most countries outside US. Insert in the LEGO Magazine? Again, available only for those who were into Lego before. Displays in Targets and TRU? Cool, especially in countries were shops like that don't exist. Mobile apps that weren't really advertised anywhere? Yeah, I'm sure a lot of effort went into their marketing. Netflix series? Yeah, because it surely would be more succesful than an actual TV series. Not to mention JtO was hardly advertised anywhere.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the chapter books, graphic novels and the magazine. We should've gotten all of this in the very first wave, the fact that we got the graphic novel covering the plot from the first half of 2015 in literally one of the last days of 2015 is downright ridiculous, same with the magazine, which was released at the time it was basically a fact that the theme is dead. Lego released all of this material way too late, if they actually put some money and effort into releasing them at the beginning of 2015 it would actually give Bionicle a lot of more media presence, which would only benefit the theme.

Again, for people who weren't into Lego Bionicle may as well never return, because it's media presence outside Lego communities was almost nonexistent.

I was not collecting back when G1 came out and while I saw the excitement of G2, it just never sparked an interest with me. I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but none of the theme or sets really had a focus from a casual observer like myself. Whenever I walked through the Lego store to make a random purchase I would like at the Bionicle stuff, but never buy any of it. I didn't understand the story, the characters didn't have enough flavor for me to differentiate any of them, and I didn't have anything that could help connect them my larger collections of Lego themes.

Overall, it felt like Lego really tried with this one, but I would if they were hoping for nostalgia more than new fans. I never felt like they were trying to get me buy the product.

I'm with you, HawkLord, except I was collected a lot of G1 sets. I was delightly suprised when G2 was announced, but I never really got in love with any of the new designed Toa.

The first Toa were clearly red, white, green, blue, black and brown. This continued in the following years, but in G2, the decreased the amount of these dominant colours.

I think the new Pohatu is ok, but about the other five... nah.

The enemies are even less impressive, like some mentioned before: where were the big, intimidating guys/creatures?

I really, REALLY wanted to get into bionicle once again, but the sets made it to difficult for me to love them.

Wow how insanely disapointing and upsetting. I thought we were gauranteed at least 1 more year but no MOUP and no G2 Makuta? That hurts. I'm on vacation this weekend so I won't be able to see the new episodes until monday. I was excited, now watching will be bittersweet. No wonder they didn't base Makuta off of the set because there never was one. I guess on the upside, i can now focus on Marvel and Star Wars sets. What makes me mad is that LEGO never gave the reboot the attention it needed. No wonder it only lasted 2 years, almost no marketing, little inclusion in LEGO media, small budget, minimal story with little creativity, they should've capitalized on nastalgia a bit more by recreating popular characters and villains like Rahkshi, etc. I still don't have the last book and the last G2 set for me, Storm Beast. This has made for a sad start to my vacation. On top of this news its storming right now so this is just a very sad time. At least I'll be picking up the Ghost Rider set on my way home on Monday when it comes out, my hype for that cannot be contained! I feel so meloncholy right now...

Edited by ToaDraco

It seems the prophecies have changed. Shame about that.

My feelings are well and truly mixed. I am by turns darkly amused, morbidly curious, sad, and rather relieved.

Let's start with that ending. Hmmm.... Not my piece of cake. I had already given up on Journey to One being even passable fare, so I only watched the finale to see what all the fuss was about, but still, it's hilariously rushed. "Makuta is coming through the Black Gate Shadow Portal. It's a good thing that we're actually stars! All we need is to believe in ourselves! Bye-bye!"

I am genuinely curious as to how much of this they planned from the start. It looks to me like they made it up on the spot, but I know from experience that this is a tremendously unfair assumption. If nothing else, it does parallel the climax of LoMN.

Then there's the loose ends... The Mask of Time's the biggie, but I don't doubt there were many other stillborn concepts. Let's hope they all see the light of day.

I'm quite curious as to how Gen2 bombed so badly. Hero Factory sold well enough to run for five years (though it was playing the porter for BIONICLE on both ends, to be fair,) and yet BIONICLE didn't last three. What changed? I almost wonder, absurd as this may sound, if the target audience at large mistook it for a licensed IP, and were turned off by knowing nothing about it.

It's a shame it had to end on this note. A death at three years would have been natural. Sure, we'd have been disappointed at not seeing the Once and Future Theme return to take its rightful place in the Immortal Pantheon of Break Out Themes (for now occupied only by magical assassins with a penchant for outrageous vehicles,) but hey, there's no shame in doing well enough. It's also rather sad, IMO, to see the decline in set quality. Winter 2015? Awesome. Summer 2015? Not quite as cool, but still pretty good, not to mention novel and with some fantastic pieces. Winter 2016? Disappointing, overly-greebled Toa (Onua being a major exception,) but at least Umarak and the creatures were lovely. Summer 2016? Blargh, meh, humbug. Winter 2017? Well, hopefully they'll have learned from the reaction to the 2015 sets and they'll make a- Oh.

But in a strange way, it's a relief to know that Gen2 is dead. Gone is the oppressive uncertainty and fear born of hearing whispered reports of the theme's ill-health. It failed, yes, but we are at the wake, and the funeral is not long in coming. It will not bring joy, but it will bring closure, and that can not be undervalued.

On the bright side, provided LEGO doesn't decide to jump the in-house contstaction ship all together, Gen2's successor must be more than just a cut-price BIONICLE. Perhaps we'll get something new and wonderful. Perhaps out of this tragedy, much good will come.

Regardless, I would like to thank the Gen2 team for their efforts. It's clear they put their hearts and souls into this, and for that I commend them. Thank you all. Thank you for helping to recapture some of the magic of my childhood. Y'all rock!

I think I speak for a lot of fans here when I ask if it's possible you could get the instructions for the big purple Makuta. I know there was a few prototype pieces in there, but I'm sure it's nothing we couldn't work around. I had my hopes we'd get a set like that and was disappointed when we didn't.

Thank you so much if you can.

Edited by Kingslayer

I think I speak for a lot of fans here when I ask if it's possible you could get the instructions for the big purple Makuta. I know there was a few prototype pieces in there, but I'm sure it's nothing we couldn't work around. I had my hopes we'd get a set like that and was disappointed when we didn't.

Thank you so much if you can.

I can't provide actual instructions unless I build it myself (and I don't necessarily have the resources for that) but once the contest comes out in proper, I'll share all of the great pictures of that model they sent me, so hopefully together the community can recreate it!

It seems the prophecies have changed. Shame about that.

My feelings are well and truly mixed. I am by turns darkly amused, morbidly curious, sad, and rather relieved.

Let's start with that ending. Hmmm.... Not my piece of cake. I had already given up on Journey to One being even passable fare, so I only watched the finale to see what all the fuss was about, but still, it's hilariously rushed. "Makuta is coming through the Black Gate Shadow Portal. It's a good thing that we're actually stars! All we need is to believe in ourselves! Bye-bye!"

I am genuinely curious as to how much of this they planned from the start. It looks to me like they made it up on the spot, but I know from experience that this is a tremendously unfair assumption. If nothing else, it does parallel the climax of LoMN.

Then there's the loose ends... The Mask of Time's the biggie, but I don't doubt there were many other stillborn concepts. Let's hope they all see the light of day.

I'm quite curious as to how Gen2 bombed so badly. Hero Factory sold well enough to run for five years (though it was playing the porter for BIONICLE on both ends, to be fair,) and yet BIONICLE didn't last three. What changed? I almost wonder, absurd as this may sound, if the target audience at large mistook it for a licensed IP, and were turned off by knowing nothing about it.

It's a shame it had to end on this note. A death at three years would have been natural. Sure, we'd have been disappointed at not seeing the Once and Future Theme return to take its rightful place in the Immortal Pantheon of Break Out Themes (for now occupied only by magical assassins with a penchant for outrageous vehicles,) but hey, there's no shame in doing well enough. It's also rather sad, IMO, to see the decline in set quality. Winter 2015? Awesome. Summer 2015? Not quite as cool, but still pretty good, not to mention novel and with some fantastic pieces. Winter 2016? Disappointing, overly-greebled Toa (Onua being a major exception,) but at least Umarak and the creatures were lovely. Summer 2016? Blargh, meh, humbug. Winter 2017? Well, hopefully they'll have learned from the reaction to the 2015 sets and they'll make a- Oh.

But in a strange way, it's a relief to know that Gen2 is dead. Gone is the oppressive uncertainty and fear born of hearing whispered reports of the theme's ill-health. It failed, yes, but we are at the wake, and the funeral is not long in coming. It will not bring joy, but it will bring closure, and that can not be undervalued.

On the bright side, provided LEGO doesn't decide to jump the in-house contstaction ship all together, Gen2's successor must be more than just a cut-price BIONICLE. Perhaps we'll get something new and wonderful. Perhaps out of this tragedy, much good will come.

Regardless, I would like to thank the Gen2 team for their efforts. It's clear they put their hearts and souls into this, and for that I commend them. Thank you all. Thank you for helping to recapture some of the magic of my childhood. Y'all rock!

This was a really beautiful sentiment, thanks for that =). I'm sure the team is reading too.

I can't provide actual instructions unless I build it myself (and I don't necessarily have the resources for that) but once the contest comes out in proper, I'll share all of the great pictures of that model they sent me, so hopefully together the community can recreate it!

Appreciate it man, thanks.

If the team is indeed reading the forums(not just Eurobricks) then I hope they see the public outcry for a Makuta set or a physical version of the Mask of Ultimate Power and maybe do something with it, unlikely as it may be.

Also, assuming again the Bionicle team is reading this: thank you guys for putting everything you had into G2 and making it as good as it was! You guys rock!

If the team is indeed reading the forums(not just Eurobricks) then I hope they see the public outcry for a Makuta set or a physical version of the Mask of Ultimate Power and maybe do something with it, unlikely as it may be.

Also, assuming again the Bionicle team is reading this: thank you guys for putting everything you had into G2 and making it as good as it was! You guys rock!

Yeah, I want to echo this. I may not have liked all of the sets, but a lot of them were surprisingly great, and overall, I really enjoyed it!

I haven't bought any G2 sets (however I adored G1 as a kid) but it still feels sad. And not releasing Makuta just feels wrong.

I may buy Ekimu or Umarak the Hunter one day in memory of the theme.

Apologies for the constant posting, being as this event is causing a massive stir my emotions are all over the place, happy, sad, confused, angry, the list goes on.

The fact that it was ending was not the issue but rather the way it was presented. I can't watch JtO without this bitterness that the line had been canned very early on. What could have possibly transpired that caused the line to be cancelled with a lifespan comparable to the Throwbots/Slizers? The finality that we can't even imagine other events transpiring after JtO, the lack of a Mask of Ultimate Power, we don't even get the main antagonist of the series in the reboot? It's almost amazing.

It's much worse than the ending of G1 in the sense that it had an amazing run, we were prepared and we had both closure and an open end, that is to say closure to why it ended and an open end to the story so the story could continue. Here it came out of nowhere, slamming the irrefutable end in our faces without saying why it ended. Perhaps it's premature seeing as apparently they haven't released a statement yet, but I can't say I've ever felt so bitter towards looking back on anything, and that's sad.

Oh and for the record teasing Makuta and the MoUP in the contest was straight up mean, especially given the timing of it. Timing is a key aspect as to the much more intense reaction I'm both giving and observing.

Edited by MakutaDreadscythe