VBBN

No Bionicle in 2017 confirmed

Just announced by LEGO themselves:

THE CONCLUSION OF “THE JOURNEY TO ONE” MARKS THE END FOR LEGO® BIONICLE® GENERATION 2

Fans, today we have to share the news with you that we have made the tough decision to discontinue LEGO® BIONICLE® at the end of 2016. NETFLIX has just started streaming the final two episodes of “The Journey to One” the ending of which, will put an end to any speculation about the future of LEGO® BIONICLE®.

With the 2015 relaunch of LEGO® BIONICLE®, we set out to revive a childhood favorite of fans worldwide, and bring it to a new group of children who were too young to have known and played with LEGO® BIONICLE® Generation 1. From your wonderful feedback over the last year, we feel very proud to have performed that task. Currently, the last wave of LEGO® BIONICLE® products is launching in Europe and North America. These products will, however, not reach the shelves in Asia and the Pacific markets.

Next up is the #BIONICLEbuildmakuta Rebrick Contest, starting August 1st, that will give you a chance to compete for some unique prizes. All you have to do is to give us your best shot at the Evil Overlord himself. Through the rest of the year, we will keep sharing artwork and other things that may be of interest to you on LEGO.com/bionicle and facebook.com/LEGOBionicle

On behalf of the LEGO® BIONICLE® team we would like to say that it has been absolutely thrilling to work on a theme that evokes so much interest, dedication and emotion. We would like to thank you for taking in LEGO® BIONICLE® Generation 2 and sharing all your builds, stories, artwork, joy, criticism and praise. By doing so you have not only expanded the universe but also made the amazing BIONICLE® Community even stronger and more amazing. We are confident that you will ensure that BIONICLE® lives on.

The BIONICLE Team

To keep the 2016 Bioncielt hreads focused on their respective year, let's keep discussion about this announcement to this thread.

They just confirmed they aren't releasing Makuta or the MoUP.

It's over guys. I'll be here around to follow the topics and comment on some MOCs, but there's no point giving my money to this company anymore.

A bit disappointed there wasn't at least one more year to go out with a bang.

I hope they learned some good lessons and work that for whatever they plan next. I hope constraction continues, and hopefully the strategy around future themes will be better planned out.

In the meantime, a thank you to the team for giving us some great sets, and at the very least it was fun.

Is it wrong that I really feel nothing?

I guess it was fun while it lasted, and I'm sad we won't be getting a Makuta set, but honestly? My interest was waning in Summer 2015 with the lackluster Skull Villains. Then 2016 rolled around and I wasn't too impressed... Yeah, can't say I'm sad to see it go.

I agree with TFGuy89. I hope they take this as a lesson for potential future Constraction lines. Maybe they've learned what works and what doesn't.

Anywho... It's been fun. And I appreciate that they brought it back for another go. But this time, I hope they let Bionicle rest in peace.

You guys must be sooo mad... :grin:

It's unfortunate, but I honestly don't care that much. I bought a few of the sets, they looked pretty cool. I heard sales were really bad or something? I guess that means sometimes rebooting things doesn't always work.

I wonder what 2017 will bring. :classic:

They just confirmed they aren't releasing Makuta or the MoUP.

Wow for serious? They've got a mold for the MoUP too. We're really ending on the Beasts and Umarak? That's just salt in the wound now. Major disappointment.

Great! No Makuta, no Mask of Ultimate Power, and no new Toa.

Wonder what happened.

You guys must be sooo mad... :grin:

It's unfortunate, but I honestly don't care that much. I bought a few of the sets, they looked pretty cool. I heard sales were really bad or something? I guess that means sometimes rebooting things doesn't always work.

I wonder what 2017 will bring. :classic:

Yes,I'm curious what next year will bring us.

But Lego,please hear me:Don't reboot Hero Factory! We need something original!

Wow. It's like they don't know how to end Bionicle with anything other than a whimper. So does this mean we'll have a new constraction theme next year? I can't imagine Star Wars being the only thing... :cry_sad:

I was surprised and shocked to see the announcement on Facebook only a few minutes ago. Yet with all the fan speculation that had happened recently I gotta admit I had a hunch it might have been coming.

G2 did in many ways reignite a childhood interest of mine. Although the story was imperfect, the new set designs gave me some great building experiences. Just seeing the six Toa Mata in new forms and back on toy shelves for a brief was a blast.

The fact Lego took their time to announce this official to the fan community is high form. Many Lego themes don't get the honor of an officially announced discontinuation. Even if Bionicle's fanbase was small, it is nice to know Lego did recognize it.

With Bionicle gone, I will be returning focus back on Lego Trains, Creator Exclusive sets, Marvel Superheroes, and Star Wars. I hope that as my financial situation becomes more stable I might have the opportunity to continue MOCcing my vision of where Bionicle G2 should have gone had it continued.

It will take some time to fully compose my thoughts on the matter, but I hope to post again later.

I think the best thing we can say now, is ‪#‎ThankYouLego‬.

I'm upset about this, but I don't want to rant. Instead, I want to thank everybody who worked on G2 and made it what it was.

To the set designers: Thank you for reshaping Bionicle in a new, modern way. You've proven that the CCBS can do a lot more than it ever did with Hero Factory, and in the process have inspired myself and countless others to experiment with the system and create amazing things. The sets that have been released over the past two years have all been fantastic. Thank you.

To the story team: Thank you creating a new, exciting take on the Bionicle franchise. While not the original, G2 was certainly distinct and interesting, and thoroughly engrossing. You opened up a ton of opportunities for fans to come up with their own adventures and characters within the new universe, and I can only imagine that they will continue to expand it further. Thank you.

To Volta: Thank you for creating Journey to One, probably one of the best pieces of Bionicle storytelling I've come across. You translated the toy designs excellently, and blended 2D and 3D animation beautifully to create a show that is incredibly satisfying to watch. Thank you.

To the social media team: Thank you for keeping us updated on everything Bionicle, and allowing us unprecedented access to concept artwork for the franchise. It must be tough work putting up with hundreds of avid fans every day, and for that I commend you. Thank you.

Overall, thank you for bringing Bionicle back. It's sad that you can't continue, but I respect and commend your efforts, and look forward to what you'll be coming up with next.

‪#‎ThankYouLego‬

It's unfortunate, but I honestly don't care that much.

Very useful contribution, thanks.

Edited by Logan McOwen

Huh, I would have expected at least one wave next year. Kind of a shame two years is all it got. The LEGO Group certainly made a valiant effort to recreate what made Bionicle such a hit early on, and I think in many ways they achieved that goal. I applaud all the designers, writers, and artists who put their heart and soul into making Bionicle G2 the best that it could be. But I guess the market just isn't the same as it was back then.

The big mystery now is what this means for constraction going forward. It's too early by far for them to have a new independent, in-house constraction theme ready to go. The Star Wars constraction sets have been popular, but it's questionable whether twelve sets a year is enough to really keep the CCBS sustainable. And yet, Jorgen Vig Knudstorp stated just earlier this year in an interview that one of the things the LEGO Group will continue to explore going forward is the future of the CCBS, so he evidently doesn't think it's entirely run its course. Maybe LEGO will experiment with spin-offs of other themes like Nexo Knights until they think it's time again for an independent constraction IP?

Gonna be hard engaging with many parts of the Bionicle community these next few days, if this news is received anything like it was in 2010. Honestly that's what I'm most dreading. I'm not afraid to see a story I love come to an end, but the fallout within the community after the end of any beloved franchise can be pretty severe. :sad:

Edited by Aanchir

Am I a bad person for being happy about this? I mean, I hope this doesn't mean no more constraction, but it's really amusing to me that HF was so much more successful than Bionicle G2.

I hope this doesn't mean no more constraction

6 new Star Wars figures are coming out plus probably more

I should probably reiterate as my current posts suggest a negative outline. As a whole I'm really grateful for the run we had, the sets really redefined CCBS and sparked an interest in functionality in MOCs across the board. We even got the TV series and in terms of story it was really cool to see my childhood heroes in action one more time. I only wish to voice my disappointment regarding the lack of a Mask of Ultimate Power. Regardless I wonder what we'll get next year, assuming of course that there is a next year. We'll have to wait and see for the statement.

Having felt this once six years ago, I can't help but feel... Disappointment. Not for the fact that it was discontinued again, but for the fact that I keep expecting this BIG hype final year with a bang yet they end it like a mediocre "bleh." I didn't want it to carry on forever, no, but... I just wanted a bit more.

The only thing I'm upset about is the fact we won't be getting the MoUP, but other than that I honestly don't care.

Edit: I am interested to see what will be replacing Bionicle this time around, if anything.

Edited by DOTM Shockwave

It's really a shame because the designer team and people behind the story really did a fantastic job, but someone higher decided the theme's not worth spending any money on advertising campaign. I believe this is the main fault of the theme's failure - no marketing whatsoever, barely any TV ads, contests that no people outside Lego communities would even know about, a magazine released when it was basically known the theme's dead and so on... if there's anyone to blame, it's mostly Lego.

Though I'd be laying if I said I didn't see that coming. Also lol @ those people who were so confident that we'll get a third year. You never know what's gonna happen, buddies.

Edited by Voxovan

The weird thing is, I'm not even that sad. I feel a little frustrated thatthey didn't finish the story and get Makuta and the MoUP out, but the feeling I have reminds me much more of learning of HF's cancellation. Which is, to say, I don't really care. As far as Bionicle goes, I'm more interested in getting G1 parts from Bricklink, and have been since I got Tahu 2016 and was disappointed. I'm in that awkward position where I'd rather have a shelf full of 2008 Toa than the 2016 ones, because with those guys, I won't have to buy their previous incarnation to give them a consistent colour scheme. I know the CCBS is beloved by many people, but I never had enough to make something satisfactory with them, and even as supplements to G1, I'm sitting here with painfully few colours because the predominant hues of G1 are painfully underepresented in CCBS. Earth Blue is only available in two shell sizes.

In 2010, I was gutted. It was the end of something I'd loved since I was a child, something I'd been invested in as many facets of as I could find. No more figures, no more story, nothing. But here, I don't care about the story, and the sets are most likely going to continue in a slightly different form. At most, it's something that let me increase articulation in some models, and it'll continue.

And hey, this time we didn't even get a Protector-sized Tahu as a sendoff.

Wonder how long my 2015 sets will stay built before I dismantle them all.

Gonna be hard engaging with many parts of the Bionicle community these next few days, if this news is received anything like it was in 2010. Honestly that's what I'm most dreading. I'm not afraid to see a story I love come to an end, but the fallout within the community after the end of any beloved franchise can be pretty severe. :sad:

The passion and vitriol I can deal with, it's this jaded narcissism that gets to me. Sorry people, you do actually feel something, society just tells you that emotions are dumb so you're trying to pretend you don't have them.

I'm sad, obviously, but I've at least had two months to prepare =P.

I'm disappointed as well that this was such a flat ending once again. The fact that the only way we will get Makuta is through a "combiner" is a pity, and I'm really disappointed that no MoUP will be there to complete the set with the other two masks- it actually devalues them a lot for me, i suddenly care less about those masks because now the trio won't be completed.

Did I enjoy Bionicle G2? Somewhat, but not nearly as much as G1. It's no surprise that I wasn't a fan of this year's sets, and I often find myself wishing LEGO would try something new. There are elements of this line that made it feel like Bionicle that I hope we see return, namely the newfound emphasis on mask collecting. Even if we do get a brand new IP or Hero Factory 2.0 or something, I would love to see mask collecting make an even stronger return.

To add to this point I can guarantee that the spirit of Bionicle will not be lost here in the Action Figures forum. Even as the future of CCBS is discovered, we will continue to bring bionicle back through contests and other means.