Legostone

WIP - organic ship - a 5th rate Frigate

This text is mostly credit, previous ideas and rambling, you may just look through the links and at the pictures.

Recently I've been thinking about how one could build a ship with smoother lines than usual - CGHs building technique might be great, but there are always some steps in between the different modules. Then there is Sebeus I's prefab technique, which requires one to basically build one broadside of a ship and clip it onto it. This might be smoother, but still - it misses some of the curves most of the ships in the Age of Sail had.

Part I:

In a Lego store I stumbled over a bunch of Harry Potter Wands in black; I picked up a few hundred of them, hoping to do something with them. So, there we have the very first part of my journey - a mini-scale first rate, that I still consider a WIP, even though it is currently disassembled:

28320717255_0534ded00a_c.jpg

28216880202_a62de74b39_c.jpg

Now, this technique may work for that specific situation, but I just couldn't see how to apply the technique I used for that one for a minifigure-scale (or illusion scale as it is often called) ship. So put it aside. A few weeks later, Kurigan reminded me of the organic ship from Sebeus (I'm totally stealing that name for this, sorry;)), which brought my interest in this back, but I didn't really want to use that technique - while it might be a great technique, I just can't see it being stable enough, nor cheap.

Part II:

A few weeks ago a small conversation about a different interior than exterior colour on ships happened - this somehow ended with me going through the ship index (the one for BOBS) and finding the Matterhorn by Mr Townsend - coincidentally build with tiles on the outside and the option to have differently coloured plates on the inside. It still has the steps on the outside - I want to go without that.

Part III:

Sunday, last week. I had an idea which involved bending a snotted broadside (the idea about bending a broadside I also heard from Kabel), which I quickly turned into a mockup build - and I think this is the idea I'll continue with. So, here is the mockup:

28418400952_f4c07a5899_c.jpg

Excuse the mess.

Part IV:

Heard from kurigan about another ship built using a very similar technique, the Revenge by MayDayArtist; the technique behind it seems to be way more advanced, and "more of a one time thing" (not so accurate quote from kurigan).

So, that's basically the story behind this concept. To show it versatility a bit more, I've quickly done a mockup for the tumblehome of a first Rate, and, for comparision, a small, 14 gun, brig:

28592854025_ff5464c0b2_c.jpg

27977114483_33c146d3b0_c.jpg

28562985906_19e75f7843_c.jpg

28562987636_84ea222805_c.jpg

The first rate I'm not going to do more with - it was just to show that you can build basically any ships center hull using this technique. The brig - I'm not sure, I think I'll first build the project I'm starting now, and then maybe look at that brig again.

So, let's get started on the WIP, which will be a 42 gun fifth rate frigate - 2x14 guns on the gundeck + 14 guns on the upper deck. The upper decks armament may still change. The stern will be on the right of these pictures, just for perspective.

28608780255_02d5f2c0d4_c.jpg

I started by building the length of the central hull; I did this in 3 parts, as I want to keep a ship this size somewhat modular and the broadside can't be easily split using this technique. You can see the tan tiles showing the future positions of the gunports.

28502078292_4369bf61c2_c.jpg

How it looks connected - there are only 5 technic pins connecting these parts, to allow disassembly later on.

28608761385_4be33540e4_c.jpg

Next, I'm using a bunch of 1x4 tiles and 1x6 plates to build another simulated broadside - this is just a part to help me "draw" the lines of the ship.

28608756905_410126c3cb_c.jpg

Using some more plates of different length I mount these - note that the last and first gunport still line up; this means that the long line gets streched a little bit, which may not be great, but so far I haven't seen any damage done to the bricks.

28608758315_0fea829993_c.jpg

I think here it makes some sense to show the parts I'm using - some technic pins, technic bricks, old style (!) hinges and some inverted 2x2 brackets.

28608755935_b3a26b1617_c.jpg

I use these to follow the technic bricks to remake the curve (very roughly) I laid out earlier. I place the brackets with the hinges in positions where the hinges won't obstruct a gunport (I leave 1 stud on either side of the hinges up the gunports).

28608754975_5a12395169_c.jpg

Next, I place these broadside mounts instead of the temporary plates and tiles; I made sure to place them in a way that allows the entire thing to stay modular.

28608754405_2c356fb5e0_c.jpg

Now, I reinforce the lower parts using a bunch of plates (you won't see these later, I just had a bunch of dkb gray around)

28608751475_a8667456de_c.jpg

Here I prepare a bunch of black tiles for simulating the lower part of the hull. Sadly I own very few 1x6 tiles in black, so I had to use 1x8 and 1x4 tiles - 1x6 tiles would be just perfect. These stripes are the full length of the broadside - 6 studs longer than the outer hinges are apart.

28530273511_ebc4d2a10d_c.jpg

I'm placing them a little offset from eachother to simulate planking. if one would want to make this even more realistic he could try to angle this part a bit downward too - that was a bit to much for my first model using this technique.

28608750205_9171a123a6_c.jpg

Quick view from ontop to show the current state - I think I may have to make this ship a little bit thinner, maybe 2 or 4 bricks? I would be glad about some feedback about that.

28608745945_a026644407_c.jpg

28608748635_5df3602b5b_c.jpg

In the last part for today I'm preparing the lowest part of the angled tumblehome - a long line of 1x6 tiles supported by 1x4 plates. I'll need a lot of these! For now these are just mounted on the further outwards hinges using some plates behind some tiles. All my black 1x6 tiles are currently in the 1st rate broadside that I need to tear down.

So, that is what I have so far. Now I need some feedback and some help - should I make the entire thing a little bit thinner (note that bow and stern are still missing), or maybe change the curve a little bit? So, now to the part where I need help. I'm not quite sure how I'll build the bow, I have a few ideas using hinges and / or flex tubes, but thats all I have. I would be very glad if some of you would try to give me some ideas for that part or just follow along the build. I would also be honored to see someone building along with me - this would also help develop this technique.

Thanks for reading! ;)

Edit: List of ships/building techniques mentioned in this topic:

CGH's technique

Sebeus I technique (example)

Organic ship by Sebeus I

Matterhorn by Mr Townsend

Broadside bending by Kabel (visible towards the stern)

Revenge by MayDayArtist

Bumblebee by Kurigan

El Gran Grin's by CGH

Dunkleosteus technique

Edited by Legostone

You really won’t see damage in the short term so long as the bricks are sharing the load. Cheap bricks/knock-offs are a different story and can crease sand discolor easily. I the long term you may find that your bricks don’t want to straighten out. OK if you’re not planning to disassemble the thing or will reuse the bricks for a similar build, but consider the bricks of my MO ships married to the project indefinitely.

Your technique is already up there with Maydayartist. Logging your break down may help to do what we never could off Revenge and repeat the process.

All your mounts are on the same plane. Perhaps you could build them so that they can swivel to meet the walls more cleanly. As it is, just abaft amidships, there is a strange depression where the wall is pressed I to meet the next support back.

The bow is going to be quite a challenge. With the actually curved tumblehome, matching up to it will complicate matters. Typically the tumblehome doesn’t extend around front, especially where there is a cut-out for the heads, but it will still have to transition smoothly to look right. The very simple tile on plate method of Bumblebee might serve to some extent, but wouldn’t be so handy of you were trying to put any holes, like gun ports or the like in the structure. Perhaps some hybrid of the conventional method and SNOT bricks akin to CGH’s EL Gran Grin’s construction. how's it done on Matterhorn?

I agree with the good captain, if you’re considering trying to work sheer in, like Revenge. Start incorporating it now. It’s been the hardest thing to go back and try to work in on my own stuff.

Are the technic squares just handy for covering space or are they intended to be the hatchways? I think the scaling is really good if that’ the case. Ships are often wider than we perceive, but if it’s for mini-figs they’ll be much like my own, mostly for show and not interaction.

I Will follow your topic with interest, it seems promising! My first question is how you Will make the sheer of the ship?

Great to see you follow along! For the first ship I'll be building using this technique I'll stay away from sheer - at least in the case of adding a third way of bending the sides. I'll however slightly have the bow and stern be higher than the midships area, I already have a plan for that. I do have an idea how I could implement sheer on a ship this style, but first I want a good technique to build this - after all, this isn't just a WIP, this is developing a new technique pretty much from stretch, but luckily there are some of you who might help here and there!

You really won’t see damage in the short term so long as the bricks are sharing the load. Cheap bricks/knock-offs are a different story and can crease sand discolor easily. I the long term you may find that your bricks don’t want to straighten out. OK if you’re not planning to disassemble the thing or will reuse the bricks for a similar build, but consider the bricks of my MO ships married to the project indefinitely.

Your technique is already up there with Maydayartist. Logging your break down may help to do what we never could off Revenge and repeat the process.

All your mounts are on the same plane. Perhaps you could build them so that they can swivel to meet the walls more cleanly. As it is, just abaft amidships, there is a strange depression where the wall is pressed I to meet the next support back.

The bow is going to be quite a challenge. With the actually curved tumblehome, matching up to it will complicate matters. Typically the tumblehome doesn’t extend around front, especially where there is a cut-out for the heads, but it will still have to transition smoothly to look right. The very simple tile on plate method of Bumblebee might serve to some extent, but wouldn’t be so handy of you were trying to put any holes, like gun ports or the like in the structure. Perhaps some hybrid of the conventional method and SNOT bricks akin to CGH’s EL Gran Grin’s construction. how's it done on Matterhorn?

I agree with the good captain, if you’re considering trying to work sheer in, like Revenge. Start incorporating it now. It’s been the hardest thing to go back and try to work in on my own stuff.

Are the technic squares just handy for covering space or are they intended to be the hatchways? I think the scaling is really good if that’ the case. Ships are often wider than we perceive, but if it’s for mini-figs they’ll be much like my own, mostly for show and not interaction.

Well, I guess I'll have to live with that - luckily most of the parts used are somewhat easy to replace for other builds, so I guess the parts in danger will just stay in danger :P

Wow, that is a big compliment! You found the main reason for the breakdown:D

And there is another reason for the breakdown (and the, for my way of building, slow progress :P): Allowing correction of mistakes early on! That is the first thing I'll try to find a good way to implement tomorrow, I already have an idea how to do it. It might also help with the stress on the bricks - 2 flies with one hit as one could say! Thanks!

Yep, the bow will indeed be a challenge - I'll take any help I can get, so I'm glad about any ideas anyone here gives me! I see some potential in the technique you used in the Bumblebee; I'll have to see how I can implement that. I think I see a way how to add the one gunport in the bow too it - stay tuned. On the Matterhorn it is done using hingebricks (reminds me, I should just put a list in the first post containing all the ships that are mentioned in this topic, just to have an index to go back too - I'll do that after this), which is something I'll try out, but I'm not quite sure how it'll look considering the style of the build. The technique by CGH is good too, but again, I don't think it fits that well with this ship, as this one is meant to be rather smooth. I could also try to combine various vertical hinge bricks with hinges (Dunkleosteus technique).

Sheer, as I mentioned, is something I'll try to do on another ship of this technique (maybe once I do more with the brig?). First the technique, then more refinement! Not for this ship;)

The technic squares are just there to reinforce the technic structure in the middle - I might have to move them once I add some hatches to the gundeck. So, you are saying I should leave the width as is? I guess I'll wait for one more opinion on that and see where it goes:P And looking at interaction - the small brigs hull (that I just build up to show the concept on a small ship(I know a brig isn't a ship by definition)) is actually quite sturdy; I can pick it up by the gunports without the tumblehome losing its shape. That one is barely reinforced, so these should survive some interaction, but you are still right.

I recently increased the height of the wharf and ground level of my city project from two bricks to six, and in doing so encountered quite a bit of natural sheer (I considered it "sagging"), so much so that I had to modify the design to have breaks that would absorb the sheer. You may wind up getting the sheer naturally as your build progresses.

Yes, I think the width is good.

Dunk's technique seems to have the best possibility of matching shape, but remember he's using curved slopes so it might be difficult to match the paint job. Still, I think you should start there.

Awesome stuff you did here. I will watch this topic with great interest.

I recently increased the height of the wharf and ground level of my city project from two bricks to six, and in doing so encountered quite a bit of natural sheer (I considered it "sagging"), so much so that I had to modify the design to have breaks that would absorb the sheer. You may wind up getting the sheer naturally as your build progresses.

Hm, we'll see, but I don't think it'll just sag into place, although it would be great if it would.

Yes, I think the width is good.

Dunk's technique seems to have the best possibility of matching shape, but remember he's using curved slopes so it might be difficult to match the paint job. Still, I think you should start there.

Okay, I guess I'll leave it then (2 times the same opinion from the same person - what a surprise :D). Didn't dunklesteus use a bunch of hinges for his bows? Otherwise I would have to find out who did that again...

Awesome stuff you did here. I will watch this topic with great interest.

Great!

So, now it's time for another update. I tried out to add some more hinges to angle the hinges and build up the first part of the gundecks hull.

Experiment using some more hinges, didn't work that well:

28342885190_4f288a77c3_c.jpg

using some of the 4x1x1/2x2x1 hinges, prepared with some more old hingeplates and brackets.

28342884290_605cc6be4e_c.jpg

Placing them in the positions where they should be

28342883290_bc60fa6dec_c.jpg

mounted them on one half of the ship first; I had to redo the reinforcement below.

After adding the tiles back to the sides I was a little disappointed - the hinges didn't do anything, as the whole sides are stretched all the time, and the hinges would only stretch it more. I would have to place them a bit differently, I'll see if I try that out, but for now this will work just fine. I'll just leave the hinges there, they don't hurt.

So, now to the real progress:

28342882040_25ab3517fd_c.jpg

For testing, I prepared the lower part of the second broadside, using my - I thought so at least - better idea using 1x6 tiles instead of the mixed 1x8 and 1x4 tiles. But, at least for this part of the build, the 1x8 and 1x4 tiles work better than the 1x6 tiles - they are a bit sturdier as I can offset them a bit and still use 1x4 plates below to connect them.

28342880970_6e3d03a1a0_c.jpg

Here you can see some parts I prepared for this morning. A bunch of different plates, tiles and gunports. You can also see that the hinges are a bit useless in their current placement.

28011155463_7233838096_c.jpg

Next I prepared 26 of these; 2 less than gunports on the gundeck.

28011154893_07d5444d7c_c.jpg

Next on the list 12 of these are slightly modified - only six visible, as I only do one broadside for now.

28548523181_44c1f65afa_c.jpg

These are placed on a line of 1x6 tiles connected by 1x4 plates; they are placed where the hinges are.

28548521371_b23d3f42d0_c.jpg[

Mounting these onto the hull is easy, I just placed them on the hinges.

28548518511_f7c45eafa6_c.jpg

Here I prepared the gunports for use - using a bunch more of 1x6 tiles connected using them. I also placed another set of 1x4 plates ontop of the walls between the gunports.

28627653785_f04e472fe8_c.jpg030 by Legostone, auf Flickr

And here it is - the tumblehome is already noticable. The last thing for this morning is a line of 1x6 plates connected by 1x2 plates - these will be placed behind the gunports to support them.

28594620706_c6ba35caa2_c.jpg

So, that is it for this morning - I'll update again later today. If you have any ideas (maybe a better way to hinge the hinges? My idea didn't work), feel free to post them, I'm glad about that. I won't take more pictures of building up the second sidewall, especially as I don't have enough black tiles to do it in the same colourscheme as the other side. I might try out some ideas for the bow later today, as long as you don't have better ideas what to try next.

Edited by Legostone

Okay, I'm sorry I didn't do more yesterday even though I had said so. Not much now either, but I want to quickly update anyways. No buildlog today, just a couple of pictures showing the current state - I need to change a lot about what I did today, so I would rather figure out how to do it right before continuing the build log.

First, I have a first draft of the stern. I like its looks, but it is not going to stay like this. First, I need to move it up a little bit - I'll need roughly 3 studs for the fake rudder and hull assembly below, and that should still be able to fit in. Besides that I'll also need to extend it upwards a little bit, as this ship will have a well armed Quarterdeck (after all, it will be a quite heavy version of a 5th rate with 28 guns on the gundeck and 18 guns on the Quarterdeck and forecastle. I'm not sure how many of those last ones will be carronades, as that would be a lot more realistic; I currently don't have the parts for all the guns though (I currently have 12 guns for the gundeck, 18 for the quarterdeck/forecastle and 3 carronades).).

28367435650_f0f0904e05_c.jpg

Second part of the update - starting on the bow. The part that I basically feared most, for a reason. The parts that are currently in place are all just temporary, they will be replaced, as I don't see myself liking this layout. I might go ahead and redo the entire bow (aka starting from the second gunport (even though that would require me to rethink the hinge situation there, but that is necessery anyways as there is a lot of pressure on that area what I want to change. So, just one picture again, this is just a picture showing my current, not working, ideas and a comparision to a prefab-hull ship. The ship I'm using for size comparison here is a 4 midsection ship, just to add that note.

28578675001_5cbd84876f_c.jpg

The mast positions are just thrown in, I'll check back to find better ones. Btw, the overall length is at 110 studs now - this thing is huge!

Ok, first off, stop making the rest of us look bad. Seriously though that mock up looks great. Supremely realistic. Yeah it needs a lot filled in but point proven. I definitely going to start collecting tiles. I may have to scrap my current rendition of Scorpion as a post ship in favor of this new technique. For the benefit of everyone else, as you sir are well aware; this is exactly what I was talking about when I was talking about the next step and having different colors inside and out. Legostone has got it. I think we have the next evolution in Lego shipbuilding unfolding in front of us.

Legostone, I urge you to start thinking about mast placement, channels and chains. I can help you with this. I would consider it a sin if you put this much effort into making a top-notch hull and phoned it in on the rigging.

As for the sheer question, my impression here is that it's not entirely necessary, even though I'm usually a proponent of its inclusion. I see in this and early to mid 19th century frigate. In that period the effect in question did become less and less distinct to the point of being all but unnoticeable. If you did want to incorporate that one more facet it wouldn't need to be much, but again, you could continue this project to it's conclusion with little loss to its overall quality. Of the stern gallery I am quite fond. The large lights in the window panes and the curved gallery are reminiscent of that period. I even like the color :)

Alright, stick with it, it'll be worth it and keep us updated. Thanks for sharing!

This. is. gorgeous. Is there any particular ship you're basing this off of?

Really like the width, i think this is something many ships struggle with

It seems to me that "at scale" a frigate would have had 6L (or maybe 5L) between gunports?

It's starting to come together quite nicely! I like the green and White colours, it is something else. The tiled walls indeed look quite realistic. The sheer might be made by using jumpers, placing the tiles slightly higher. I think Teddy did that on his Hms victory. Right now I think the ship looks a bit too wide for it's length and I think the cabin is slighty too wide making the angle of the side Windows a bit too much. I would not make the stern higher, normally it would be on the gundeck right? Especially with these late ships. My suggestion would be to make the underside slightly higher to accomodate the rudder. The guns are now pretty close to the water anyway. Good luck on it, but from what I can see you'll manage to make a beauty!

Ok, first off, stop making the rest of us look bad. Seriously though that mock up looks great. Supremely realistic. Yeah it needs a lot filled in but point proven. I definitely going to start collecting tiles. I may have to scrap my current rendition of Scorpion as a post ship in favor of this new technique. For the benefit of everyone else, as you sir are well aware; this is exactly what I was talking about when I was talking about the next step and having different colors inside and out. Legostone has got it. I think we have the next evolution in Lego shipbuilding unfolding in front of us.

Legostone, I urge you to start thinking about mast placement, channels and chains. I can help you with this. I would consider it a sin if you put this much effort into making a top-notch hull and phoned it in on the rigging.

As for the sheer question, my impression here is that it's not entirely necessary, even though I'm usually a proponent of its inclusion. I see in this and early to mid 19th century frigate. In that period the effect in question did become less and less distinct to the point of being all but unnoticeable. If you did want to incorporate that one more facet it wouldn't need to be much, but again, you could continue this project to it's conclusion with little loss to its overall quality. Of the stern gallery I am quite fond. The large lights in the window panes and the curved gallery are reminiscent of that period. I even like the color :)

Alright, stick with it, it'll be worth it and keep us updated. Thanks for sharing!

Wow, that is a really big compliment unfolding right there! Thanks! I'll gladly try to correct every bit of criticism I can while it still is possible, so keep commenting even if you like what you are seeing:D

I would be glad if you were to help me with the channel placement - I was thinking about using some plates, snotted back into upwards, mounted onto the hull, with some lightsaber blades in brown to tie the rigging onto. For the placement I'll try to follow the layout of a Leda class frigate, but if you want to modify a picture with an overview I would gladly use that.

Here is what I have in mind for mounting the shrouds(rough design, I'll have to refine this a bit more):

28635453596_f0878ae6a1_c.jpg

And here is a lonely top view that you are free to modify to mark the positions for the masts(I would be glad about that):

28635456036_acbfb41954_c.jpg

This. is. gorgeous. Is there any particular ship you're basing this off of?

Thanks! It is not a replica of any particular vessel, but I'm using the HMS Trincomalee as an inspiration. Btw, there are some great plans of the gundeck and overall deck layout under visit -> virtual tour.

Really like the width, i think this is something many ships struggle with

It seems to me that "at scale" a frigate would have had 6L (or maybe 5L) between gunports?

Yeah, the width thing is what always seems a little odd about those 9 midsection ships some people have build around here - a ship that long shouldn't be thin, it should be quite massive, and especially now, where I have a rough prototype of stern and bow added it already comes together.

You are right, but this is still more intended towards the minifig illusion scale. Also, the 1x4 tiles are great to work with and easy to get in good quantities, which makes this a bit cheaper to build (well, so far I haven't ordered anything, but I'm completely out of 1x6 tiles in black and low in other colours, so I can't get around it for much longer now). 5L would be very inconvenient for in-between the gunports especially.

It was suggested by Mr Townsend (on flickr) that I raise the entire ship by 1 stud. What do you think about that?

It's starting to come together quite nicely! I like the green and White colours, it is something else. The tiled walls indeed look quite realistic. The sheer might be made by using jumpers, placing the tiles slightly higher. I think Teddy did that on his Hms victory. Right now I think the ship looks a bit too wide for it's length and I think the cabin is slighty too wide making the angle of the side Windows a bit too much. I would not make the stern higher, normally it would be on the gundeck right? Especially with these late ships. My suggestion would be to make the underside slightly higher to accomodate the rudder. The guns are now pretty close to the water anyway. Good luck on it, but from what I can see you'll manage to make a beauty!������

Thanks! I had something else in mind for the time when I start building another ship with a sheer - I fear jumper plates would be a bit to abrupt. I think the width is just about right now (the main part of the hull that is), compare it with the HMS Trincomalee, which is also quite wide. It would be perfect if these windows would exist in a half-width configuration (allowing me to make the stern 2 studs thinner and the sidegalleries 2 studs longer to balance this part, but as long as that doesn't exist I'll leave it as is. You found out what I meant with raising the stern - I need some space for the rudder indeed. It may all be fixed if I follow Mr Townsends suggestion of adding one stud worth of height to the entire thing... Thanks again!

Okay, I'll continue once I have time again, I have a smaller ship that is much further in progress that I want to finish today. Maybe I'll have a good idea how to do the bow (or maybe I can find something, but I've gone through the ship index so many times and there are so few ships with custom hulls and good bows... (no offense to those who have done that, I just can't find something I really really like.

Edit: the few custom hull ships that I found:

http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=110279

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=68112

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=86612

I'm considering trying out the design the dutchman uses, as well as the design on the Persephone. The Spirit of Lenfald, while a great ship, I don't think has the best bow, nor would it fit the style of the ship I'm building.

Sorry for no update this weekend, I was busy doing other stuff. I'll get back once I have time again.

Edited by Legostone

Absolutely gorgeous! Very ambitious project indeed. Really looking forward to following this build!

Absolutely gorgeous! Very ambitious project indeed. Really looking forward to following this build!

Wuhu, it hasn't been forgotten about:P

Okay, no long text here, there isn't much to update anyways, just a concept for the bow - in very colourful and not even connected to the ship itself, as I still need to work on that connection.

28972177206_965d3a0684_c.jpg

28972179576_bd4dd9d0f7_c.jpg

28972191266_f2fcc868fb_c.jpg

I hope to properly continue early September, but maybe I can get a few smaller updates in next weekend.

Sorry if this MOC has already been discussed on the board, but I thought it seemed relevant to this conversation

(it is not mine, just in case there's any confusion!)

27632235052_017f7c0bfc_b.jpg

There are a couple more WIP photos and the finished product in the builders' photostream:

https://www.flickr.c...th/27632235052/

Sorry if this MOC has already been discussed on the board, but I thought it seemed relevant to this conversation

There are a couple more WIP photos and the finished product in the builders' photostream:

That's a beautiful bit of work! let's make it its own thread. pirate_laugh2.gif

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=139040

Wow, it's Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat Boat! :pir-wink:

Kidding aside, I get where you're going, but I'm not sure I like it. Certainly you'll be likely to match up the color scheme, but the smoothness is lost.

What would be handy to the cause, but do not seem to be part of the Lego catalog, are stud flipper plates. I'm thinking with that you could use a combination of tiles, clips and flex tubes, in a way not dissimilar to the SoL at the top. This way there would be no change in the paint job or texture.

(Picture of ship)

Wow, I'll take a few looks at that - looks great!

Wow, it's Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat Boat! :pir-wink:

Kidding aside, I get where you're going, but I'm not sure I like it. Certainly you'll be likely to match up the color scheme, but the smoothness is lost.

What would be handy to the cause, but do not seem to be part of the Lego catalog, are stud flipper plates. I'm thinking with that you could use a combination of tiles, clips and flex tubes, in a way not dissimilar to the SoL at the top. This way there would be no change in the paint job or texture.

Clips, tiles and flex tubes... sounds like an idea, and I have all of those parts, plus some cheeseslopes which might be helpful.. Sadly the bow of the ship linked earlier isn't too usable for this, due to its very sharp shape. This was just an idea that I wanted to share; maybe this can be useful in some other way. Back to the drawing board then (on the weekend, that is)

This is a very interesting tread (adds to watchlist), kind of a study of pirate ship building techniques.

And that WIP of yours looks very promising, keep that up!

Great to see you follow along!

Btw, sorry for not posting an update in a while - I have been busy and working on other projects that I see as more likely to be able to be moved to Brickmania Antwerpen. It all still stands and just waits for me to continue. Also... SHIPtember is there again and I really want to do something for that. Also, I have started another ship using a different bending technique on a smaller custom hull (I might use some of the techniques I used there for this one).

29284998875_e921760b57_c.jpg