Capn Frank

Pirates of the Carribean 5 Sets Discussion

It is really looking like the unveil was poorly executed, and rushed. If the zombie shark is supposed to be in the set, then its absence lends credence to this idea.

13 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

It is really looking like the unveil was poorly executed, and rushed. If the zombie shark is supposed to be in the set, then its absence lends credence to this idea.

If you watch the video you can see they haven't even tied up all the sails and what looks to be pieces missing. :wacko:

1 hour ago, SodorBricks said:

If you watch the video you can see they haven't even tied up all the sails and what looks to be pieces missing. :wacko:

To be fair, that has always been an issue at toyfairs. Regardless of which subtheme you're looking at, the models are always assembled uncaringly.

Some bricks are not even put together tight, other elements are flimsy, and the figures are just thrown in. I don't know who is responsible for assembling the shown sets at events, but those guys don't seem to care about the models, the franchises, or even the Lego system itself. Poor representation for a company that's a synonym for the joy of playing.

I can understand that at Nuremberg toyfair, where it's mainly about showing new products to retailers. But NY toyfair is all about promoting the sets.

Edited by Jacob Nion

I'm hoping that we'll get the full press release with pictures released soon. I'd love to see some high quality box photos!

1 hour ago, The_Chosen_1 said:

I'm hoping that we'll get the full press release with pictures released soon. I'd love to see some high quality box photos!

A review with TLG designers will be much appreciated. :wink:

3 hours ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Can we expect one? When? :)

Honestly I would of thought we'd of seen it by now.  I guess there is still a few images to show off though, like the box etc.

I don't understand all the hate for the SM.  I think lego was trying something new rather than just the same old pirate ships they have cranked out recently.  Even lord of the rings got a pirate ship.  I'm glad they went the ghost ship route I think it looks pretty cool and like the ship from the trailer.  It seems recently everything lego does people complain.  The beauty of lego is you can make anything out of lego and use your imagination.  Just my opinion. 

4 hours ago, zoth33 said:

I don't understand all the hate for the SM.  I think lego was trying something new rather than just the same old pirate ships they have cranked out recently.  Even lord of the rings got a pirate ship.  I'm glad they went the ghost ship route I think it looks pretty cool and like the ship from the trailer.  It seems recently everything lego does people complain.  The beauty of lego is you can make anything out of lego and use your imagination.  Just my opinion. 

I think it's the fact that it's a $200 ship that could quite easily have had a cannon deck but didn't.  The only ship that has a lower deck is the Imperial Flagship and Imo it's one of the most sought after ships out there.  Lego knows what fans want and what fans like.  We would have happily had a $200 BP or FD.

Whist it is a highly detailed set and has a great minifigure selection I am still in two mind as to whether or not I should purchase this ship.  I can't justify to myself that 'half' a ship is worth $200.

Edited by Legoman123

7 hours ago, zoth33 said:

I think it is just negativity and the fact that Lego has pretty much reached its zenith for sets that are profitable.  When Lego was coming out of bankruptcy everybody was just happy to see more pirate ships, more castles, etc...   Now we have all had that for the last ten years and it is easy to forget what is was like when pirates jr 2004 came out and how bad that was.  

I think Lego tried really hard to make a great ghost pirate ship and I really dig that.  I also think that once the movie comes out and we actually build the set most purchasers will be very happy with the set. 

8 hours ago, zoth33 said:

For me, it's simply the fact that I would've taken any realistic type ship over a ghost ship, period. I think it's a decent set from a creative point of view, but I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in purely fictitious stuff like this. For the money we could've had a really good complete ship, rather than a highly-decorated skeletal structure. Sure it's detailed, but a similar piece count without unnecessary decor would make a fantastic ship. I guess TLG just wanted to do something different. And while the Flying Dutchman wouldn't be realistic either, I can't help but think it would be far more complete, with a more useful part selection overall, and much more suitable for modifying into a more realistic ship. If it was the BP or FD, I'd buy it, no question.

Lego did a great job making the ship that appears in the film. Also, once the film comes out, it might help the appeal for this set. Its just that the Dutchman would have been a safer and smarter move. Unless Disney told Lego to do the SM, they made a mistake imo.

Half the problem is, of course, that even though the earliest rumors (aside from the ones that turned out to be fake) suggested that the single ship would be one of the ships from the new movie, and even though every single piece of information we got since then suggested it would be some sort of ghost/skeletal ship, seemingly every other post before the reveal--for months--was something along the lines of "I think it has to be either the Black Pearl or Flying Dutchman because X reason" or "What if it's the new ship and the Dutchman or the Pearl?!" or "It can't possibly be just the one set because X reason". :p So even though we got pretty much exactly what it looked like we would get from day one, it's still a massive disappointment to some. 

Of course, it is something we haven't ever seen in either the traditional Pirate theme or Pirates of the Caribbean before, which is a rarity. If we had gotten a traditional ship, no doubt someone would be complaining that it's a rehash of something we've seen before. :laugh:

TC

Just playing devil's advocate, but I don't see too many merits to making the Flying Dutchman now instead of the Silent Mary (not that I don't want the FD mind you). I just don't see that argument making sense. We need to be realistic with ourselves. The last time the public saw the Dutchman was ten years ago so its largely lost on the public consciousness. When a new Pirates movie comes out, why would Lego build their only set around an old ship few people have seen in years (because it's not like everyone has been rewatching At World's End... :sick: )? Now yes, the FD is currently more famous than the SM, but at this point we don't have any indication what type of role the FD will even play in the new movie--it could barely be in the film. That's why we are getting the Silent Mary--she's the star of the film. Same reason we got the QAR before we even got the far more famous Pearl.

For whatever reason Lego doesn't seem interested in making the Dutchman. Maybe it was just bad timing of getting the license after the first three films released...but I think after they included Davy Jones in the BP, it seemed clear to everyone that the Dutchman just wasn't happening. 

All that said, my main argument is that one shouldn't downgrade the Silent Mary just because she's not the hypothetical FD--incidentally, just being the FD does not a good set make, we're all assuming it would have turned out well, which is not a fact judging by wishy washy ships of the past--so again, a bit unfair to judge the SM against a rose colored FD in our collective minds. Really, the Silent Mary from all indications, is an incredably faithful ship to the film and a truly unique vessel within the Pirates line itself. Yeah she doesn't have a gun deck--but what ship does? The Imperial Flagship is an anomaly; unlicensed and unrestricted it's also unrealistic to keep expecting Licensed ships to live up to her when they have other necessary requirements...such as the questionable ability to eat other ships...heck, ever since IF, every ship has frankly just been a glorified canoe.

All in all, I think we received a very nice looking, reasonably costing, new and unique ghostly display piece. Which is normally considered a win for Lego, and us. 

For the record, I am not dissapointed, not at all. I am getting a new pirate ship, that's always good news for me. The ONLY thing that I'm a little worried about is that I am going to have to put another $50 (to make it what I want it to be) into an already $200 set. Which every other Lego set I own, if they are $150 or more I don't have to change a single thing. So that's a bit of a shock, tbh. Again I don't blame Lego for that though, because they made the ship from the film, and did it justice based upon what I have seen in the trailers. Its just a situation I am not used to being in, but it's by no means a BAD thing. 

Also I am reserving judgement until I build the thing, I might find some things about it that I really like, I usually do, lol. Even if I am NOT a big fan of the finished product, as others have said it could make a great ship from The Goonies. It could also be a nice Flagship type vessel, I also haven't ruled out turning into the Dutchman if it doesn't look like we are getting that. So LOTS of possibilities. 

Edited by Captain Pirate Man

Looking at the high-res picture, it seems that the black curved bits making up the hull are attached using the ratcheted pieces, not the rod and clip. I'm a big fan of that because the rod and clip connection is much looser and would take longer to line up perfectly. I think that I'll get this set, but I would love an accessible captain's cabin. 

Are we sure that the set will include the shark´s at all ??
Im worried by now that we won´t, as official pictures doesn´t even include them, and being that it´s probably available for VIP´s 27th of March, their should be pictures of the sharks included with the above photo imo ?
Am I wrong ? 

I would really have loved those ghost sharks included..
Besides that I really think that this set is gonna look great when we get more pictures and shot´s of it from different angles.
Im not sure if it justifies the price of 200$, but im probably getting it anyway, as it´s a lovely and different approach for pirate ships.
Just my 50 cent´s .

KlodsBrik.

Just now, KlodsBrik said:

Are we sure that the set will include the shark´s at all ??
Im worried by now that we won´t, as official pictures doesn´t even include them, and being that it´s probably available for VIP´s 27th of March, their should be pictures of the sharks included with the above photo imo ?
Am I wrong ? 

I would really have loved those ghost sharks included..
Besides that I really think that this set is gonna look great when we get more pictures and shot´s of it from different angles.
Im not sure if it justifies the price of 200$, but im probably getting it anyway, as it´s a lovely and different approach for pirate ships.
Just my 50 cent´s .

KlodsBrik.

In my opinion I would've thought they'd have shown the Shark already, especially as the mould leaked, it's not like they have anything to hide.  I do honestly think there is a second set in the works.:grin:

46 minutes ago, deskp said:

I just noticed the Black Pearl print on Jack's bottle.  That's fun.  As for the Silent Mary, I'll probably wait until the movie, and if I really like the movie (and the ship in it), I'm sure I'll buy it then.

I am with Cpt Dee on that, so I will skip. Hopefully the zombie shark appears on an other more "conventional" ship or set altogether.

The ghostly crew are neat, and well-made for army building. Though I was hoping for one of the half-faced crewmembers from the teaser. And I dont really recognize Salazar – I think the Snape/Dastan/Norrington hair would be a better fit than this new mold (I assume its new?). And I would have used black as the base color for his torso.

And Henry as a minifig seems much older than IRL.  

9 minutes ago, Legoman123 said:

Sounds interesting, I do think we will see a FD at some point in the near future.:grin:

If there is a sixth movie and the Dutchman is in it, I am 100% sure they will make it (provided they still have the license). The Silent Mary is exceptionally well designed and I am sad that they aren't making at least one more set.