Capn Frank

Pirates of the Carribean 5 Sets Discussion

I honestly don't get the hate. This might be one of the best pirate ships I've seen in lego. It's so different but executed perfectly (in my opinion)

Hm, I am wondering, how stable the whole construct will be. I fear, it will be kind of fragil, making the "play value" pretty limited. The small doors look kind of odd indeed. And she has many built cannons. She might have many pieces, but the hull and the shooting cannons are missing. Which is imo a big downside for a pirate ship. But still, it is a pretty cool looking ghost ship.

I feel they are a lot of elements we are missing from this movie, like the trident of poseidon in a set, I feel this is the only line that deserves a rehash of all the ships. 

Just now, GoldenNinja3000 said:

The missing shark is strange. If it actually isn't in the set, then I think it would be reasonable to expect another, smaller one (not another D2C). 

But how could that happend that we didnt heard any mini tiny word so far... Not even a gossip, nothing...????

24 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

But how could that happend that we didnt heard any mini tiny word so far... Not even a gossip, nothing...????

I don't know, maybe it's in an SDCC exclusive. I just don't know where it could show up outside of PotC.

I really want to like this ship but it's not happening. There are elements that I like such as the sails and zombie crew but the fact that the hull doesn't exist is really making it hard. I was looking forward to picking one up but I'm not sure if that is going to happen now. I'm also upset that I never bought the Black Pearl when I could have. I never got around to it and it's too much at this point. Hopefully I don't feel the same regret on this one in a few years.

I definitely see why people do not like it. I understand why they did it this way. I wish it had a bit more of a hull. I think it will make a nice display piece though.

Edited by karmajay

12 hours ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

As much as I LOVE pirate ships, I am a bit disappointed tbh. This is a GREAT model of the ship that appears in the film, so I can't knock Lego for that. I can however knock Lego for choosing THIS ship as the new set. I'm sorry, but the Flying Dutchman would have made a MUCH better choice imo. I think it would sell better, and would have helped bring interest back into POTC, from a Lego perspective. I just can't see this ship really selling that well, not like the FD would have sold anyways. So IMO, Lego really dropped the ball there. If the FD is coming as well (but we have not heard ANY info that it is) then my statement here is moot, but if this is really it, come on Lego.

Yes I will still be buying this set, day 1. Yes there are things I like about it, but thank God Lego is made to be changed at will. I see myself HEAVILY modifying this ship, which is not something I expect to do with a $200 set.

Just off the top of my head, I'm thinking of turning this into the proper Siletn Mary. Proper as in, not a ghost ship. Honestly, I'm thinking of building the bottom deck of the IFS and putting the deck from the Silent Mary on top. Getting rid of the "bow" function, proper cannons (the cannons on this set are HIGHLY dissappointing), and new sails. Although I do really like these sails, they won't fit the look I am going for, but I will use them somewhere. If I'm honest, it looks like my red coats might be getting a new flagship.

I think Lego should just make UCS version of Black Pearl. By far the most famous ship in Potc series and fan favourite...2000+ piece BP would make me buy it instantly and probably many many other fans. 

Its understandable that Lego is making snowspeeder and b wing and such sets in Sw series, when most famous ones like Millenium Falcon, Star Destroyer etc have all been made already.

But when it comes to POTC, it makes no sense from Lego to release such ship, when obviously most popular one (BP) doesnt exist in UCS scale.

Its nice built ship overall, but wont convince me to buy it and probably majority of fans. 

That said Jack fig is incredibly brilliant. 

2 hours ago, josykay said:

Hm, I am wondering, how stable the whole construct will be. I fear, it will be kind of fragil, making the "play value" pretty limited. The small doors look kind of odd indeed. And she has many built cannons. She might have many pieces, but the hull and the shooting cannons are missing. Which is imo a big downside for a pirate ship. But still, it is a pretty cool looking ghost ship.

The underside appears to have Technic beam, bricks, pins and axles holding it together.  It should be strong enough for the chomping action.

32126008334_95c1e4a072_z.jpg

Honestly, i don't get people's hate on this set. Especally some complaining about there being no hull makes me laugh. That's the way it is supposed to be! Have you even seen any trailer for the movie yet? If so, nobody would expect a"full" ship. For example look at the scenes where it appears in this trailer, it is meant to be a sceletal WRECK of a ship, so the set is spot-on. If they'd change it to an actual ship, it would have nothing to to with the movie anymore, which would make no sense at all...

The set looks good, since it resembles the ship in the movie!

Personally I have no interest in a ghost ship so it is a pas.. I am waiting for the return of the traditional Lego pirates :wub: To me they look more realistic, the movie pirate ships are always ghosts, zombies etc and I never buy them :sceptic:

The missing shark is strange *huh*

1 could be they did not have access to the shark at the time, the lack of the box and a very limited number of photos support this.

2 it could be in another POTC set, seems unlikely..

3 could be from a totally different series of Lego, seems unlikely since it is in the trailer.

4 could be like the buffalo from the western sets, they made the mould, but for some reason did not release it *huh*

I am excited to get this. 

While the rib only hull is a bit sparse it probably mimics the on screen ship better then either of the other two POTC sets and has the best bow superstructure Lego has ever done on a pirate ship in my opinion. The windows for doors sadly shows how undersized the ship is to the lego minifigs unfortunately but gives a much more accurate top deck plan then any previous ship.

Did I mention I adore how they did the bow deckhouse....? Only thing that somewhat annoys me is the weird cannon turrets at the 4 corners of the ship, I can't recall seeing another ship with these... but they are accurate to the movie so *shrug*

To be honest I do think I jumped to conclusions with this set a little too quick.  The more I look at it the more I'm liking the set!  You can't fault the design because it is exactly the same as it appears in the movie.  The issue I had really is the fact that it isn't the ship I wanted, I would have much preferred the FD or the BP (which I still think we'll get in the near future).  

Out of interest are you guys thinking we'll get an interior for the captains cabin?

Judging by the windo... err.. doors, I would expect this as a top deck only with no interior playset. If there is a 'captains cabin' I would be surprised, I guess it depends on how much screen time those hidden areas are going to get.

3 minutes ago, clm said:

Judging by the windo... err.. doors, I would expect this as a top deck only with no interior playset. If there is a 'captains cabin' I would be surprised, I guess it depends on how much screen time those hidden areas are going to get.

That's true.  It just looked like it did fall a bit deeper at the back, possibly to reveal something inside.

21 hours ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Exactly..we waited so long, and this is result..probably nice display piece, and I will take it to put it on shelf next to my BP and QAR ..BUT! I expect something more...This is kinda "Sucker Punch" from TLG.

To be fair to TLG - they were kind of limited by the look of the actual ship in the movie.

For me, they chose the wrong ship - I would much rather have seen them release the Flying Dutchman. This is the ship we have for now though and honestly the more I look at it, the more it's growing on me.

Will def pick it up although I'll probably mod it by adding a few well placed hull sections, a decayed cargo hold/cabins below deck (looks like there's room) and possibly some proper cannons (although that might change the look too much)

11 minutes ago, ElectroDiva said:

To be fair to TLG - they were kind of limited by the look of the actual ship in the movie.

For me, they chose the wrong ship - I would much rather have seen them release the Flying Dutchman. This is the ship we have for now though and honestly the more I look at it, the more it's growing on me.

Will def pick it up although I'll probably mod it by adding a few well placed hull sections, a decayed cargo hold/cabins below deck (looks like there's room) and possibly some proper cannons (although that might change the look too much)

I know, I am just little bit disapointed because of my expectations were high... I am hoping for FD in future..can you imagine ship with proper hull and 2000+ pieces? Proper cabin with Davy´s organs, upper and lower gun deck, printed chest with Davy´s / Will´s heart... with dark, light bley and sand green with some dar brown and gold color scheme? :) That will be bestseller for AFOLS and KFOLS for sure...POTC are all about ships so there is no need for other sets..just FD and maybe some Imperial ship like Interceptor or other small vessels like Dying Gull...

Regarding this SM - to be fair there are obviously some clever building techniques and all that brick build hull defines entirely new level of lego pirate ship sets...

Edited by Blazej_Holen

Yep - look on the bright side :)

Hopefully if this set sells well we'll get the 2000-3000 piece Flying Dutchman that most fans want

Having given this a closer look: I think I could buy it as a parts pack, if I have the means. I don't build for POTC, so I don't care about having specific ships.

About the figurehead being a separate fig, it could be that somewhere in the film it comes alive for a fight scene.

1 hour ago, ElectroDiva said:

Yep - look on the bright side :)

Hopefully if this set sells well we'll get the 2000-3000 piece Flying Dutchman that most fans want

I also can't see them ignoring the fact that the FD gained 10,000 supporters on the Lego Ideas site.  It is such a popular ship that is now going to appear in a 3rd movie out of the series.