Capn Frank

Pirates of the Carribean 5 Sets Discussion

34 minutes ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I doubt they would do the shark as a polybag. Lego has never done an exclusive big molded creature as a promotional polybag, have they? And if there is a promotional PotC polybag, I'd expect it to be someone like Will or Barbossa. However, maybe the shark will be an exclusive DVD release? 

You might be on to something. That could be the cure to all our questions about this manatee shark. 

54 minutes ago, KlodsBrik said:

You might be on to something. That could be the cure to all our questions about this manatee shark. 

It would make a lot of sense for Lego to do a new Will figure and maybe the shark as well for the DVD- they did a figure two pack with The Battle of the Five Armies. 

I think a Lego Will would be highly sort after, especially with his new look.  I'm edging more towards a FD set personally.

1 hour ago, Legoman123 said:

I think a Lego Will would be highly sort after, especially with his new look.  I'm edging more towards a FD set personally.

They already said no new sets are planned though- so if we were to get a FD then I'm assuming it would be near the release of the next movie (if there is one). 

A small bunch of the Ghost Sharks appeared online briefly recently.

This does however hint that they will be released soon in some fashion, as they probably are in mass-production now.

25 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

A small bunch of the Ghost Sharks appeared online briefly recently.

This does however hint that they will be released soon in some fashion, as they probably are in mass-production now.

Online for sale or just in pictures? 

3 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

Online for sale or just in pictures? 

Not sure... just saw chat about them.

Edited by Scarilian

7 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

They already said no new sets are planned though- so if we were to get a FD then I'm assuming it would be near the release of the next movie (if there is one). 

Well they said 'In the future', personally I take that as next year, like the Simpsons did.  I mean lets be honest Lego isn't going to start dropping major hints about another POTC set when this one hasn't even been released yet, if they did the chances are people would hold off on this set in hope for a better/full ship.

I have a couple of questions is anybody has any answers; first what day EXACTLY is available to buy as a VIP member? Secondly, does this mean you have to go to a Lego store or online only, and do they typically have "available to VIP members only" sets in display at Lego stores? 

I ask these questions because I am a Lego VIP member, but I have never purchased a set day 1 before, so I have no idea what to expect. So ANY insight into this I would appreciate.

2 hours ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

I have a couple of questions is anybody has any answers; first what day EXACTLY is available to buy as a VIP member? Secondly, does this mean you have to go to a Lego store or online only, and do they typically have "available to VIP members only" sets in display at Lego stores? 

I ask these questions because I am a Lego VIP member, but I have never purchased a set day 1 before, so I have no idea what to expect. So ANY insight into this I would appreciate.

March 17th in the US. They do carry them at Lego Stores. I've seen some early release stuff there before and they've just got little red tabs on the shelf that say "for VIPs only" or something like that. I don't buy any big sets from the online shop so I'll be picking the SM up in store. 

Irritates me that the double VIP points ends right when the early VIP sale begins.  Just in case I wanted to get it right away.  I keep going back and forth on wanting to wait for the movie to come out first :)

Edited by aukevin

On 2/23/2017 at 10:29 AM, Scarilian said:

-snip-

Side view of the ship.

-snip-

That right there is a thing of beauty... terrible rotten ghostly beauty. Unfortunately the minifigs look out of place on it as it is far less forced perspective then other pirate ships... Maybe it would look good with a bunch of microfigs all over it :)

When I saw the trailer for the new Pirates of the Carribean movie I thought that ghost ship thing was really stupid looking.  Sure enough that is what they decided to make as a set.  The set designer did an amazing job of recreating that thing in the trailer to be sure.  However... no hull and no cannons, (those technic cylinders with the slots in them don't count) well I guess half a ship is better than none.

It just kills me to realize that we now know the reason that One-Eyed Willie's ship (from Goonies), the Mayflower, and the Flying Dutchman (which all got 10,000 votes on Lego Ideas) were rejected.  I would have preferred any one of those three to the Silent Mary half wreck.

I find it rather telling that all of a sudden hull pieces in brown, dark brown, and black have become scarce and expensive on bricklink.  I'm glad I got a set of hull parts before that happened.

For those that think I am clamoring for "more of the same" consider this.  We got a highly detailed direct to consumer soldier ship.  We also got a highly detailed d2c steam punk pirate ship.  Now we are getting a highly detailed d2c ghost pirate wreck.  We have never gotten a highly detailed d2c regular pirate ship.  So how could I want "more of the same" when we have never gotten one in the first place?

56 minutes ago, Lord Insanity said:

When I saw the trailer for the new Pirates of the Carribean movie I thought that ghost ship thing was really stupid looking.  Sure enough that is what they decided to make as a set.  The set designer did an amazing job of recreating that thing in the trailer to be sure.  However... no hull and no cannons, (those technic cylinders with the slots in them don't count) well I guess half a ship is better than none.

It just kills me to realize that we now know the reason that One-Eyed Willie's ship (from Goonies), the Mayflower, and the Flying Dutchman (which all got 10,000 votes on Lego Ideas) were rejected.  I would have preferred any one of those three to the Silent Mary half wreck.

I find it rather telling that all of a sudden hull pieces in brown, dark brown, and black have become scarce and expensive on bricklink.  I'm glad I got a set of hull parts before that happened.

For those that think I am clamoring for "more of the same" consider this.  We got a highly detailed direct to consumer soldier ship.  We also got a highly detailed d2c steam punk pirate ship.  Now we are getting a highly detailed d2c ghost pirate wreck.  We have never gotten a highly detailed d2c regular pirate ship.  So how could I want "more of the same" when we have never gotten one in the first place?

Don't understand what you're saying about the hull parts. I just checked the prices and they're the same as they were a month ago when I bought new ones (give or take 10 cents or so). And I think it's great that they tried something new and made a ghost ship. It's beautifully designed and very accurate to the movie ship. 

Edited by GoldenNinja3000

On 2/26/2017 at 8:45 PM, GoldenNinja3000 said:

Don't understand what you're saying about the hull parts. I just checked the prices and they're the same as they were a month ago when I bought new ones (give or take 10 cents or so). And I think it's great that they tried something new and made a ghost ship. It's beautifully designed and very accurate to the movie ship. 

Well I guess I was lucky a week ago when I got a set of hull parts for about half what any current sellers has a full set for.

I agree that the Silent Mary set is very accurate to what is shown in the trailer.  The designer did an amazing job as far as that goes.  (I think what is shown in the trailer is really dumb looking and could think of several ways to make a far superior "ghost ship".)  But how is it trying something new when we have never gotten a highly detailed d2c regular pirate ship in the first place?  I just think it is completely absurd that Lego has yet to make a regular pirate ship that is superior to the original Barracuda from 1989.

6 minutes ago, Lord Insanity said:

Well I guess I was lucky a week ago when I got a set of hull parts for about half what any current sellers has a full set for.

I agree that the Silent Mary set is very accurate to what is shown in the trailer.  The designer did an amazing job as far as that goes.  (I think what is shown in the trailer is really dumb looking and could think of several ways to make a far superior "ghost ship".)  But how is it trying something new when we have never gotten a highly detailed d2c regular pirate ship in the first place?  I just think it is completely absurd that Lego has yet to make a regular pirate ship that is superior to the original Barracuda from 1989.

Yeah, I would love a proper D2C pirate ship- even the Dutchman would work as a more traditional ship than this one. I just think it's nice that they didn't play it safe and went with the rotting hull and everything. I can't wait to have this thing on display next to my old ships. 

I find it a really good looking ship! (if you compare it to the trailer). And it is very different. So It's a buy for me. 
I'm just curious for the box... Do they usually wait so long to show it? 

15 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I just think it is completely absurd that Lego has yet to make a regular pirate ship that is superior to the original Barracuda from 1989.

We did... It was called the Skull's Eye Schooner

On 2/27/2017 at 10:24 PM, Lord Insanity said:

I just think it is completely absurd that Lego has yet to make a regular pirate ship that is superior to the original Barracuda from 1989.

8 hours ago, MEMTJEGO said:

We did... It was called the Skull's Eye Schooner

The red and green "Christmas" ship? The one that introduced the annoying trend of putting the jolly roger on the sails.  (When I was 11 I would actually "sneak" the Barracuda up to Eldorado Fortress under a false flag and "raise" the jolly roger for a surprise attack.)  The one that also started the trend of not giving a ship its full complement of cannons?  (The Barracuda and the Sea Cow are the only two ships Lego has ever made with a full complement of cannons, seriously what the heck?)

Don't get me wrong I think the SES is a really close second by a mile.  But in addition to the above I still remember my main gripe with it when I first saw the pictures as a kid.  "Why does it have the same captain as the Barracuda? That is stupid."  Remember these ships were on the shelves at the same time for a year or two.

The Brick Bounty from (2015) was the first and only ship I ever bought with jolly roger sails.  And that was on clearance with the intention of making my own plain sails and converting it to a merchant ship.  The Ideas Mayflower submission would have been great for building merchant ships to actually engage in piracy against.

Lets not let this become a topic about what pirate ship is the best. Feel free to bump the Which Pirate ship is the best? topic and continue the discussion there. :thumbup: 
Stay on topic please.  Thanks.