Capn Frank

Pirates of the Carribean 5 Sets Discussion

Saw the set today at the LEGO Store, it is bigger than I thought.

23 hours ago, Boettner Builds said:

Why would they even waste the money on updating that mold?!

It can be any number of reasons like the old mold is worn out after cranking out too many parts.

PS those sharks are huge! The insides are big enough to fit something inside lol

I own a few myself, if you flip a figure's arms around you should be able to fit them entirely inside the shark and close the mouth :P

On 17/03/2017 at 4:59 PM, TheBrickHitHouse said:

Watch out - my Silent Mary was missing bags 4 and 5!!!

1 hour ago, eldiano said:

I was missing bags 9 and 13

A little concerning at this stage...

1 hour ago, eldiano said:

I was missing bags 9 and 13, i freaking hate how lego scatters minifigs through four bags, i panic whenever i could not find lesaro's head and corina's face.  I love it, too bad double VIP points ended day before this thing came out but honestly and quite frankly i would love a flashback silent mary!!! I find myself watching the trailer over and over at how the ship was and he only thing missing this build is the bird on the middle mast... 

this movie deserves more sets

PS those sharks are huge! The insides are big enough to fit something inside lol

I wonder if it could have been a good idea for them to make a full Silent Mary in all her glory, with extra parts included (double set of minifigs for Salazar and co.?) to where you could build the original and if desired, transform it to its ghostly, ruined present form.
The downside is it most likely would've been more expensive due to the extra parts like hull and sails and more pearl gold pieces and maybe other colors as well for the ghost form unless they went with a compromise and used the current color scheme.

I kinda want the Silent Mary, but I'm still contemplating it since it'll most likely end up in pieces anyway since the only parts I really want are the masts, torn sails, ghost crew and ghost sharks It'll probably be far cheaper to wait and see if I can find the ghost figs, sharks and sails in some BrickLink store in addition to the masts.
But then, it won't be the same when I won't have a brand new set to open, look through the manual (and this one is more detailed and great too) and, you know :laugh: 

But what the heck, you only live once, if you really want it and can afford it, buy it :laugh: 

2 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Why in USA you get 199 VIP points and in Poland you get 237 VIP points?

Because LEGO is much cheaper in US than Europe. 

For example STAR WARS 75152 Hovertank:

US: $29,99
Germany: 39,99€ ($43,00)

LEGO Store:
Free shipping in US: $35,00
Germany: 55,00€ ($60,00)

And yes, I feel this as a huge mess. It is a European company...

Edited by Florian_Wayne

Is the set growing on others as well, or is it just me. I don't want to say I was "hard" on it during my review, because the scale DOES bother me. After I set it next to my other ships though, it does feel better. IMO it's easily a top 5 lego pirate ship, it's not #1 though. The IFS still holds the crown, but the SM is growing on me. I would say it's better than the BP, and the QAR is debatable. The SES and BSB are also debatable, but every other Lego ship it is superior than, even with the scale issues.

Edited by Captain Pirate Man

3 hours ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

I don't want to say I was "hard" on it during my review, because the scale DOES bother me.

Captain Pirate Man/MikeyJProductions review
Review was accurate and covered the main points a review needed to. Only small remark is that the book has new printing and a new interior 'page' piece, however it's been used a few times in Nexo Knights, still a nice piece though.

Still waiting for the set to arrive personally, but it didnt seem like you were harsh on the set. I've heard many people dismiss it completely due to a lack of a hull, but i think comparing it with the Imperial Flagship gave the impression that you were definitely considering it as one of the better pirate ships we've had.

3 hours ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

Is the set growing on others as well, or is it just me.

It's grown on me quite a lot since initial images. I think seeing the ship in the trailers actually doing things (compared to the QAR which never had a pirate ship battle - is definitely helping. I think the remarks from those involved hinting towards the biggest pirate ship battle in the series also have enticed me to get a replica of the villain's ship.

I think the main points that made me warm to the set were;

• The appearance from the side, seeing the set from the side really helped give off the ship appearance. They managed to make it look damaged without ruining the overall streamlined nature of a pirate ship and you can tell how the ship would look if the pieces were filled (an aspect i hope to do)
  • The Ghost Sharks, for a while there was a lot of debate other the mysterious sharks and the inclusion of two of them definitely helped the set. It would likely have not been an immediate purchase without them. Though i own a couple of the sharks currently, i must admit they are easily the best sharks i've seen from Lego. Capable of eating figures, looking menacing and the ribs (though not accurate to real sharks) give a great visual
  • The potential it has to be made into a complete ship is definitely an aspect that i feel makes it worthy of a purchase via any Lego pirate ship fan

Just waiting on mine to arrive which should hopefully be before the middle of this week - and then should be able to start the process of making it into a more complete vessel.

Here is my review

@Scarilian,

I'm going to be honest with you, I was ORIGINALLY quite a bit more harsh on it in my review, and I decided to cut some of my criticisms out of the review? Why? For one, the ship IS growing on me. For two, my review was already almost a half hour long, so I needed to trim some fat. For three, As a LONG time pirates fan, giving an average review could talk some people out of buying it, and I don't want that. I want as many pirates ships as possible, so the more people that buy this set, the more ships Lego will make. (having said all of that, I still addressed the biggest problems I had with it). Finally, I really had a hard time trying to place it within my collection. The flaws keep it from the #1 spot yes, but surely it's better than TBB or BP. So where exactly DOES it rank? I still haven't been able to answer that question, to be honest. I need more time with it, I need to see the movie, etc. 

The ONLY definitive statement I can make is this, it's NOT better than the IFS, but that's it. Is it better than the BSB or SES? Maybe, just maybe. Is it better than the BP and QAR? Probably, and I really like the QAR. Its hard for me to say a ship without cannons and a hull is my 2nd favorite Lego ship, but I might be leaning that way.

Edited by Captain Pirate Man

Can someone who already have this set tell if its neccesary to maintain those "crate/container piece" in dark bley in mast assambly or could it be replaced with for example black 2x2 round bricks instead? I think that those masts looks somehow weird with this colour scheme I would rather make them all black ... any thoughts?

@Captain Pirate Man:

Very good review, but now everyone should have noticed that the Silent Mary is not a pirate ship. Salazar is a pirate hunter, he is one of the "good guys" (spanish Navy) to make the seas safer :wink:

Edited by Florian_Wayne

I assume the answer is yes, but does the parts of the masts built by round 2x2 bricks have Technic axles through them to add sturdiness?

Reading the short mythology of the Silent Mary, and watching the trailer numerous times, I want a regular Capitan Salazar, his captian dress Is Beautiful along with the grey colors of the crew members!!!  Even his spectral form is beast, but still, a full sized former Silent Mary is a long shot, but everything about this line is beautiful, i love the box, the black and gold details, the manual with the short description and movie pictures.

I have been following the Lego fb page and people have been asking about other sets and they keep saying anything is possible, with one comment stating they cannot confirm nor deny but they don't know what Lego designers are up to, and in all reality I wish for more POTC sets

1 hour ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Can someone who already have this set tell if its neccesary to maintain those "crate/container piece" in dark bley in mast assambly or could it be replaced with for example black 2x2 round bricks instead? I think that those masts looks somehow weird with this colour scheme I would rather make them all black ... any thoughts?

No, the boxes have axles going through them for stability. You could replace them with dark bluish gray 2x2 bricks with the axle hole in the middle, though. 

6 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

But those 2x2 round bricks has axle hole in the middle too right? 

Whoops, I missed the part about the bricks being round. Yeah, those should work. I've already modded my ship- I added one of those poles with studs on the end to both tall masts and a crow's nest to the forward one. Then I extended the furthest mast (the tilted one by the wheel) by two of those technic axle connectors. I'm working on putting bricks under the collapsible mast right now. Also, I'm using the captain's cabin with its tiny floor space as a little prison, so I don't know if I'll modify it further. 

Hey thats very good, can you post pics or send them to me? :)

Regarding those bley crates, I thought that they have some special purpouse, but from what I understand now they are there just because that axle hole...I am confused why Lego used those...:D

28 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

Re the crate: weight and cost. Less actual material, and a single part instead of two.

Ah! Good point :)

2 hours ago, Florian_Wayne said:

The Silent Mary is not a pirate ship. Salazar is a pirate hunter, he is one of the "good guys" (spanish Navy) to make the seas safer :wink:

Very accurate, i think we're just used to using the term 'Pirate Ship' for POTC sets - primarily because we normally get Pirate ships and the theme title being 'pirates'. Though as i mentioned, you are completely correct, this is actually a spanish navy vessel.

4 hours ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

Finally, I really had a hard time trying to place it within my collection.

Any chance you could do some comparison images? Would be nice to see the scale and how this ship looks compared with the other POTC ships or even the Imperial Flagship?
(Will reply more in-depth to your other remarks when i've gotten the ship myself, still waiting for it to process)

2 hours ago, eldiano said:

Reading the short mythology of the Silent Mary, and watching the trailer numerous times, I want a regular Capitan Salazar, his captian dress Is Beautiful along with the grey colors of the crew members!!!  Even his spectral form is beast, but still, a full sized former Silent Mary is a long shot, but everything about this line is beautiful, i love the box, the black and gold details, the manual with the short description and movie pictures.

I have been following the Lego fb page and people have been asking about other sets and they keep saying anything is possible, with one comment stating they cannot confirm nor deny but they don't know what Lego designers are up to, and in all reality I wish for more POTC sets

Customer Support knows the least regarding upcoming sets, they are normally informed late into the process and the main role they serve is to help out anyone who has issues or queries about current sets.

Twitter and Facebook team are believed to be the same, or at least have varying levels of communication between each other for marketing purposes. They however exist primarily to promote existing sets and are only given material relating to currently sold sets or sets that are being openly promoted.

So unfortunately neither would be likely to confirm the information - the best you may be able to get is that customer support are told the name/theme of a set for the VIP exclusives on occasions - i believe the Silent Mary was confirmed in such a way. I'm fairly sure that the Silent Mary will end up being our only set this time around, other than a potential pirate-related polybag or something similar.

Just a random weird question... has there actually been a ship that we know about in history with the turrets similar to the Silent Mary in the era it depicts? Or is this a fanciful Disney creation?

Good question i really want to know, the booklet states its the pride of the spanish main, at this point it could be made up like the front cannons the QAR and the FD had.  

If you go to 19:55-20:11 he shows some pictures comparing sizes of the QAR and BP. 

1 hour ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

Check out my store If you are interested in the minifigs or sharks. Look under SETS because the Silent Mary inventory isn't available yet.

https://www.bricklink.com/store/home.page?p=jjohnson1675&utm_content=globalnav#/splash

Not bad. You pay 200 dollar for a set and the combined worth of your 9 figs is 230 dollar :laugh: