Capn Frank

Pirates of the Carribean 5 Sets Discussion

Still makes no sense. What do you guys think. Was that leaked shark a fake or an piece LEGO decided not to put into the set afterall.
We should have had official pictures of it by now ! ? :hmpf_bad:

2 minutes ago, Melvin said:

I think the sharks are in the set, what else could those gray things be?

One of them is the row boat, but yeah the other two look like sharks. I wonder when box art and the designer video will come out?

Devils Advocate: It could be sharks.... or it could be just random color fluctuations in the simulated water between the Mary and the Rowboat. Clear photos will tell the truth.

What else in the set is grey? Figs? Could some of the ghostly crew be swimming after the boat? The trailer doesn't really give a clue to the scene, because the Silent Mary isn't attacking a rowboat there, and the sea is calm in the trailer. Could the box art show a scene that may not be shown until a trailer depicting the scene comes out? Disney can really obsessive about controlling information rollout.

Or it's just a trick of water design, compounded by the blur. We need real box images. Pity Disney makes official Lego reviewers wait so long before they can share. Those who followed it remember how Whitefang's review of the Disney CMF line got held up so long that regular purchasers were making their own reviews. Disney can be very un-nice about some things.

Yeah, I´ve been looking very close at that blurred box art when it was first leaked, and it definately does look like it could be two shark´s. 
We had leaked pictures of the shark itself.

But once again, what makes me wonder. We already have pictures of the set as it were shown at Toy Fair, and also had official pictures from LEGO. But no shark´s shown in any of them.

Why would they hold that information back ? 
Did LEGO( Disney ) themself think that it was a "poor" set. ( Im not), and decided to wait release of the shark and boxart, to make more people think they would get what what they paid for ? 
It just doesn´t make any sense at all for me.

Also my contact haven´t been able to tell me anything about ghostsharks in the set. 
It´s not like the person know´s everything, but I do get a lot of info Im not allowed to talk about. 

Im just really wondering about the myth of the ghost shark´s by now "POTC Episode 5.1" :tongue: 

EDIT: Also I cant recall that LEGO only showed some part´s of a set before. 

Edited by KlodsBrik

That's the sorta messages lego says most of the time.  As for the earlier messages of the RE release, that's for diferent to a new version of the ship.

I speculated in the General POTC thread that the shark might be a polybag giveaway. Things like that have been known to happen.

My point about the box art was that Disney holds a tight reign on what can and cannot be revealed (and when) with regards to upcoming movies. Disney lawyers hold property rights very close. Why do you think we haven't seen the baldric mold outside of POTC and The Lone Ranger? I'm betting someone got in hot water over the early picks of that shark.

9 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

I speculated in the General POTC thread that the shark might be a polybag giveaway. Things like that have been known to happen.

My point about the box art was that Disney holds a tight reign on what can and cannot be revealed (and when) with regards to upcoming movies. Disney lawyers hold property rights very close. Why do you think we haven't seen the baldric mold outside of POTC and The Lone Ranger? I'm betting someone got in hot water over the early picks of that shark.

Leaks like that just comes with the territory. as for the molds legs known to not use fantastic odsl they have when they would fit perfectly so who knows.

As i'm sure have been said multiple times, the sharks are in the trailer, and the director tweeted an image with sheet music named 'shark attack'.

My point about the trailer wasn't about the shark(s). It was about the rowboat and the Silent Mary. All our speculation will eventually be moot, so I try to refrain from further attempts until more accurate information surfaces.

The top gray blur could be one of the stands, as was mentioned a while back.

The bottom blur could be a cresting wave (since both the dark part at the top of the blur and the lighter part at the bottom seem to extend beyond the marked area, and would thus be too long for a shark).

Just a hypothesis; personally I hope and expect the shark to be in the set.

About the stands: I doubt they would be on the front of the box. UCS Star Wars sets like the TIE Fighter don't have the stand on the front of the box, and it's the same with the Helicarrier. So I think the box front won't picture the stands but the back will. 

6 minutes ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Silent Mary is already listed on legoshop - https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Silent-Mary-71042

Unfortunately without any new pics or box art... :/ Also in description is no reference about captains cabin so I suppose thet there is none...btw also no reference about sharks...

And absolutely no mention whatsoever of a Shark, very strange.  I'm not fantastic with ships, so whats a Quarterdeck? 

Basically its upper deck (concretely its rasied deck behind main mast) - the only deck that SM has :) 

This "shark" thing is complete mystery...Only three official pictures...leaked shark mould that is missing now...whats going on? Now I am keep asking myself - Is this only thing we get? Is this all that the set can offer? Only 3 pics? Nothing else? Why? 

Edited by Blazej_Holen

Just now, Blazej_Holen said:

Basically its upper deck (concretely its rasied deck behind main mast) - the only deck that SM has :) 

I could of guessed that really couldn't I ;)

Could very well be a case of the sharks getting scrapped last minute because someone thought they weren't kid friendly enough.  That could explain why the reveal seemed rushed and we still don't have an official box photo (as well as limited official photos)

The leaked images show a shark with exposed ribs and muscles showing by the eyes.  That and an animal overall decaying.  Now we have plenty of people zombies but you know how sensitive PETA can be.

Just my 2c.

18 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

I think it's the fact that it's a $200 ship that could quite easily have had a cannon deck but didn't.  The only ship that has a lower deck is the Imperial Flagship and Imo it's one of the most sought after ships out there.  Lego knows what fans want and what fans like.  We would have happily had a $200 BP or FD.

Whist it is a highly detailed set and has a great minifigure selection I am still in two mind as to whether or not I should purchase this ship.  I can't justify to myself that 'half' a ship is worth $200.

16 hours ago, Jack Bricker said:

I think it is just negativity and the fact that Lego has pretty much reached its zenith for sets that are profitable.  When Lego was coming out of bankruptcy everybody was just happy to see more pirate ships, more castles, etc...   Now we have all had that for the last ten years and it is easy to forget what is was like when pirates jr 2004 came out and how bad that was.  

I think Lego tried really hard to make a great ghost pirate ship and I really dig that.  I also think that once the movie comes out and we actually build the set most purchasers will be very happy with the set. 

14 hours ago, Captain Dee said:

For me, it's simply the fact that I would've taken any realistic type ship over a ghost ship, period. I think it's a decent set from a creative point of view, but I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in purely fictitious stuff like this. For the money we could've had a really good complete ship, rather than a highly-decorated skeletal structure. Sure it's detailed, but a similar piece count without unnecessary decor would make a fantastic ship. I guess TLG just wanted to do something different. And while the Flying Dutchman wouldn't be realistic either, I can't help but think it would be far more complete, with a more useful part selection overall, and much more suitable for modifying into a more realistic ship. If it was the BP or FD, I'd buy it, no question.

Those are all fair points.  I just remember the latest pirate line being highly scrutinized for being to bland and a repeat of old sets.  I just think ghost ship is neat looking and would be fun to build.  I think it is getting hard to please everyone because everybody has different tastes.  That's why I think lego has done a great job recently with all the new themes they have created and all the new licenses they have acquired. Over the last ten years or so they have made so many new pieces and even made UCS sets that cater to adults.  Just look at the CMF's they try to make a fig for everyones tastes but people only pick up the ones they like.  Its just very hard to please everyone in my opinion. 

10 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

...I think it is getting hard to please everyone because everybody has different tastes...

Exactly.

With so many themes and sets being produced at any given time, there's a little something for everyone, but highly specialized sets like the forthcoming Silent Mary are never going to please everyone - and everyone isn't lusting for the Flying Dutchman either.

And LEGO knows this with regard to everything they produce. I know it has to be difficult to design good sets without blowing up the piece count and resulting price. Throw in licensing requirements, and I suspect it gets complicated in a hurry. And adult buyers are almost always harder to please than young children.

I don't like this "ship" at all, just like I can't stand Nexo Nights, Hairy Pottery, and Star Warts - but all these things display good creativity from the designers, which is one of the most important things to consider.

I'm sure there will be lots of happy buyers when it's finally released.

The LEGO shop page has some nice closeup views of the minifigures--I'm loving the details on Salazar. And the masthead is actually pretty nifty too; she's half decayed like the rest of the ship--I didn't notice the first time around. And the one transparent leg on the other sailor is so cool.

One of the minor collecting achievements I'm looking forward to is finally having all of the bicorn variations--but they keep sticking new ones in expensive sets, lol. I'll have them all eventually...

I didn't see anyone comment on this, is this set the first time we've had black cutlasses? That's awesome. I'm hoping for a few extras...

As for the disappearing zombie shark, I'm sad to see that one go. I suspect that it may have more to do with time and money than anything else--that's a pretty big specialized piece to run off for just one set. I wonder if the price tag with shark was closer to $250, as we heard originally, and LEGO decided against the shark when they realized they could knock $50 off the set price by doing so.

TC

Edited by TalonCard

14 hours ago, Johnjacob said:

Could very well be a case of the sharks getting scrapped last minute because someone thought they weren't kid friendly enough.  That could explain why the reveal seemed rushed and we still don't have an official box photo (as well as limited official photos)

The leaked images show a shark with exposed ribs and muscles showing by the eyes.  That and an animal overall decaying.  Now we have plenty of people zombies but you know how sensitive PETA can be.

Just my 2c.

I agree. Could be the reason why we did not see the box art is because the sharks got scrapped.

@TalonCard ok, so you try to say that Lego (!) was trying to save us, the customers, money? I'm not sure we're talking about the same company.

Bad jokes aside, the shark will be in this set, have faith people. 

And it would make absolutely no sense to throw such a mold out of the set only one or two months before the release. Not to say that it's nearly impossible.

It's not like Lego designers finish a set three months before the release and then it goes into production. The whole process takes a long time, and the finished and sealed copies of the set are probably waiting for their delivery for months now. 

Also, developing such an incredible complex mold like the ghost shark is really expensive and again it takes time to create and then produce it. And the only way that those pictures of the shark got leaked is that it was already in production. I mentioned it earlier, the only source for leaks of finished figures and molds like this shark are the Lego factories. You can find that reprehensible and it's certainly a security breach for Lego, but it's a fact. Even the figures of  top secret sets like the first force awakens wave got leaked that way.

And there was a picture of the shark body and jaw sealed in a transparent bag somewhere, just like such a piece would be stored in a set box. 

And again, the mere existence of such an image proves that the shark went in mass production. 

And now imagine someone would make a last minute decision to skip the shark- what do you think how expensive that would get for Lego? And if the sharks would already be in the box, they could throw the whole box in the bin, because of Lego's quality policy. They can't just open the boxes, take one part out and seal the remaining bags in a new box (without shark in the layout). It is one of Lego's standards that regardless which copy of a any set you buy, no human hand has ever touched what's inside. 

The shark will be there, for sure. I too believe it's most likely Disney that is holding back material. There have been cases of seemingly unreasonable regulations they made. 

E.g. the may the 4th promo figure of a first order heavy stormtrooper that was almost the same as the one featured in the current battle pack, just with one different detail on the torso printing. That was 100% a demand of Disney marketing.

And about the PETA theory...please be realistic. They are busy enough complaining about animals that got injured during film production, I doubt they are interested in plastic toys of CGI sharks. And how should anybody who could have complaints about a toy find out about it's production when there was never an official mention of it's existence? Or is there a PETA spy around here?

Edited by Jacob Nion

Creating voids in existing molds is not all that difficult. Creating an insert piece that fits into the mold to create a cavity in the ABS, whether it is filled with a different color, or left empty (which is easier), has been done for a while. Will Chapman, of Brickarms fame, has been doing it on his home machines for years. Yes, there is an order of magnitude in scaling this up, but the underlying principle is the same.

That being said, the level of production from the leak suggests we are going to get it somewhere. I'm done speculating on where.

The rollout suggests, though, that someone in the decision chain (probably Disney marketing) didn't want the broader public to know about the shark. Yes, we know, but think about the buying public that doesn't come to this site (and the other places where the pic showed up). We are only a percentage of he intended market for the merchandise being developed. Fans who see early images can sometimes forget that not everyone gets to see, or gets told about what has been seen. We who are invested in Lego, and POTC, need to remember that marketing departments have to consider the wider populace.

Edited by gedren_y