Capn Frank

Pirates of the Carribean 5 Sets Discussion

Lego NEEDS to make the Dutchman happen gosh darn it. They owe us for this one imo. I'm fine with the Silent Mary if I get a Dutchman as well. If this really is the only set, then shame on you Lego. I also feel that they don't really know what they are doing sometimes. Honestly a proper Flying Dutchman would out sell this set easily. Not even a large D2C one, a basic one similiar to the QAR would be fine.

If you refer back to the original blurry Japanese store calendar I could swear ghost shark can be seen on there!

The question is where has he swam of to? :grin:

I think it will be a fine display piece but it's strange that, of all the ships lego could release, why this?

i'd have loved them to release that massive 1st rate ship from the first film - it would appeal to POTC fans, classic pirate fans and fans of classic naval warships. Win win?

Edited by TheBrickHitHouse

44 minutes ago, TheBrickHitHouse said:

I think it will be a fine display piece but it's strange that, of all the ships lego could release, why this?

i'd have loved them to release that massive 1st rate ship from the first film - it would appeal to POTC fans, classic pirate fans and fans of classic naval warships. Win win?

Maybe Disney asked them to do so?

I really like this ghost ship and it look like the one in the movie. So as my first pirate ship, I'm going to buy this!.

3 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

I also can't see them ignoring the fact that the FD gained 10,000 supporters on the Lego Ideas site.  It is such a popular ship that is now going to appear in a 3rd movie out of the series.  

It does seem like a strange decision. 

Golden opportunity for them to make the FD and clean up in terms of sales and they chose to make the Silent Mary instead.

Hopefully they've got a surprise lined up for us later in the year - there is that missing zombie shark after all...

Edited by ElectroDiva

I am pretty sure, more ships will be coming. I think, they went with the Silent Mary first, because it is the current main villain vessel. Same for the Queen Anne's Revenge.

So far, we only know  from the regular sets only this set right? There is much more to come,  and I bet, we will see another vessel. Especially considering, that Silent Mary is a 200 Euro set, making the need of a more affordable one.

Edited by josykay

I think we'll just wait until later this year/beginning of next year and we'll most likely have some information on a new ship coming out. 

I am not sure about this but maybe this discussion about posibility of releasing FD as a set belongs into "general discussion" right? Here we should discuss POTC 5 sets - and those are these two brickheadz and SM... :)

I was really hyped for any new pirate ship but this turned out to be just a mess of parts.

The blurred picture looked like a nicely curved ship, but that turned out to be the play feature.

I hope this isn´t the only set we get, or actually I do because that will save me a lot of money.

The windows-instead-of-doors thing, along with the turrets, make me wonder if the ship is not better suited to microfig scale. But then, there is the minifig-sized steering wheel. Still, I envisage something like the Helicarrier with microfigs.

19 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I don't know, maybe it's in an SDCC exclusive. I just don't know where it could show up outside of PotC.

Unlikely- it would be wasteful to create such a specific mold for such a limited run- so if it was an exclusive, the piece would have to appear elsewhere in the future.

Anyway, besides that mysterious amazing shark that I really want to have, the ship is...meh. I like the visual impact, but it's trying to bridge play and display very clumsily- it has a fudged sense of scale and needs a stand, yet most of its build goes toward an action feature...odd. I do love the ghosts, though. I would like to have all of them.

Fantastic minifigures, interesting and useful sails... but absurdly crappy looking ship. I'll be skipping this one and instead crosses my fingers for another, better, ship.

10 minutes ago, Mr Meleca said:

and chat about the cannons??

are they new pieces or just technic assembled?

Those are technic pipes (attached to 1x1 round bricks and a 1x1 round cone on the main deck). Those on the gun deck are connected to mixel joints.

I count 28 cannons in total. 

28 cannons, pretty impressive. From the looks, the Silent Mary is so far the biggest (named) vessel in PotC after the Dauntless and the Endeavour in the movies, and much larger than QAR, BP and FD. Great, how Lego tries to capture the size of the ship, and she is the very first ship, having mulitple cannon decks.

However... I fear, it justn't work that great with the open hull... giving the ship potentially several camera unfriendly angles.

Edited by josykay

With the Silent Mary being in the new movie I have no problem with the choice to make it into a set.  With the lack of the new shark being seen at NYTF I'll cling to the hope that more PotC sets are on the way.

As for thoughts on a potential new set... i'm still expecting the Shark to be in this set, just a last minute addition. Things have been missing from official images before and we'll know for certain with the box art.

The Flying Dutchman is a unique set in that its one of the few i cant see being destroyed. Personally i'm expecting Barbossa to end up getting control of the Flying Dutchman for a battle with Jack in the sixth movie - given they are the two most recogniseable characters of the franchise... that aside, it does appear in this movie, but i dont think we'll see a set anytime soon. Releasing a Flying Dutchman with Jack, Barbossa, Will Turner and a Ghost Shark would make less people buy this set. It would be more recogniseable, have the better figures and characters, have a unique shark design and generally be what everyone wants.

25 minutes ago, Legoman123 said:

Looking at the pictures again I do believe the set does have a Captain's Cabin.

I believe it does also, but i sincerely doubt that its accessible from the front. On the back there is what appears to be room for a door, so maybe its a case where the back top part of the ship lifts off to reveal the interior.

Chances are we'll see the box images fairly soon, i'm guessing around the start of March.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/768/32128103114_8df1e0568a_o.jpg

Is anyone else a little perplexed with the release date listed?

5/1/17... May 1st 2017

250117potcfeatured.jpg

Meanwhile VIP early access is March 27th - March 30th...

Either they got the date wrong or VIP's get access to the set over a month prior to the release... pretty sure i have'nt heard of this happening before.

@Ecclesiastes

Thoughts?

I really like the details and design of the rear part of the ship, especially the cabin area. The motherlode of cannons is also impressive but the masts and litteral shell of a structure really doesn't do it for me, especially the nose of the ship which is incredibly gappy. 

I'll want to see what the ship looks like in the movie but it looks like a case of poor source material. No reason to pop the rhum here for me. :(

3 hours ago, Scarilian said:

Is anyone else a little perplexed with the release date listed?

5/1/17... May 1st 2017

Meanwhile VIP early access is March 27th - March 30th...

Either they got the date wrong or VIP's get access to the set over a month prior to the release... pretty sure i have'nt heard of this happening before.

@Ecclesiastes

Thoughts?

Release date is 1st April 2017. Early acces for VIP members is month earlier e.g. 1.st March 2017 via Lego store. :)

Edited by Darkdragon
Please don't quote images

Bit late to the party but I am definitely still debating this ship.  On one hand, there are parts I like and on the other, parts I don't.  Although I must say I am very tempted to get it anyway along with the Dimension's Goonies pack and make One Eyed Willie's ship....

7 hours ago, Scarilian said:

As for thoughts on a potential new set... i'm still expecting the Shark to be in this set, just a last minute addition. Things have been missing from official images before and we'll know for certain with the box art.

The Flying Dutchman is a unique set in that its one of the few i cant see being destroyed. Personally i'm expecting Barbossa to end up getting control of the Flying Dutchman for a battle with Jack in the sixth movie - given they are the two most recogniseable characters of the franchise... that aside, it does appear in this movie, but i dont think we'll see a set anytime soon. Releasing a Flying Dutchman with Jack, Barbossa, Will Turner and a Ghost Shark would make less people buy this set. It would be more recogniseable, have the better figures and characters, have a unique shark design and generally be what everyone wants.

I believe it does also, but i sincerely doubt that its accessible from the front. On the back there is what appears to be room for a door, so maybe its a case where the back top part of the ship lifts off to reveal the interior.

Chances are we'll see the box images fairly soon, i'm guessing around the start of March.

Possibly just lifting on the top I think.  But I agree it will not be accessible through the doors.

8 hours ago, Blazej_Holen said:

Release date is 1st April 2017. Early acces for VIP members is month earlier e.g. 1.st March 2017 via Lego store. :)

Any idea why the release date at NYTF is different? and the calendar shows the VIP members getting it as late March...