Capn Frank

Pirates of the Carribean 5 Sets Discussion

31 minutes ago, Legoman123 said:

I need to see better images of it, but from first impressions I'm kind of disappointed. 

Yea the whole set looks underwhelming to say the least.

Just now, Scarilian said:

Wonder what happened to the Zombie Shark?

He will be there, for sure... just wait for complete box art and pics... :)

14 minutes ago, SodorBricks said:

Minifigure list!

Includes eight minifigures: Captain Jack Sparrow, Henry, Carina, Lieutenant Lesaro, Captain Salazar, Officer Magda, Officer Santos and the Silent Mary Masthead.

Full description:

This highly detailed Lego model with over 2,200 pieces features a hinged bow section, opening skeleton hull with decay and destruction detailing, movable rudder, collapsible main mast and two further masts, long bowsprit with crow’s nest and mast, tattered sails, detailed quarterdeck, plus a rowboat with two oars and an array of weapons and accessory elements. This model provides a rewarding build and play experience, and the integrated stand makes it suitable for display… Includes eight minifigures: Captain Jack Sparrow, Henry, Carina, Lieutenant Lesaro, Captain Salazar, Officer Magda, Officer Santos and the Silent Mary Masthead.

So basically no captains cabin... :( Damn!

Thanks Scarilian.

The crew looks diverse,which is good,but Herny and the girl (I forgot her name) look painfully boring.I expected more detail for all the minifigures for a set with such a prize.Cpt Jack looks amazing and I'm really glad he turned out this way.

Edited by LOTR34

Well.. This is rather disappointing.. 

It looks like a bigger flying Ninjago ship. So many 'open' space, to me it doesn't look finished. 

Just now, LOTR34 said:

Thanks Scarilian.

The crew looks diverse,which is good,but Herny and the girl (I forgot her name) look painfully boring.I expected more detail for all the minifigures for a set with such a prize.Cpt Jack looks amazing and I'm really glad he turned out this way.

I'm a bit disappointed we did not get Will Turner with the Davey Jones style algae/fish stuff we see in the trailer.

Out of the main figures, he was one of the more important and i dont think they should count the figurehead as a figure (Unless it comes to life also)

Just now, Scarilian said:

I'm a bit disappointed we did not get Will Turner with the Davey Jones style algae/fish stuff we see in the trailer.

Out of the main figures, he was one of the more important and i dont think they should count the figurehead as a figure (Unless it comes to life also)

Yea I agree it's rather disappointing that the set doesn't include Will.But I was also hoping to see Barbossa.

And I just noticed that Salazars sword is black,I don't think this mold was ever released in black before.

To me it REALLY seem like lego is saving figures for possible future sets.

Lego made the figures that need to accompany this set with the focus on its crew. and added the absolute necessary other characters.

Henrys face looks super dull and generic. At least they gave him accurate eyebrows, and the torso is nice. Carina seems to be just what she needs to be.

Figurehead should not be counted as a minifigure, it's like sad effort to fill in figures in a poorly populated 200$ set.

-

I think the official images we've seen so far isn't doing the set justice, it looks better in one ofthe instagram images from the top front side.

Edited by deskp

2 minutes ago, Melvin said:

I'm disappointed, I hate the ship

That's a bit harsh, it has some really nice details (those awesome sails for example).

The build below the deck looks a bit meh though - especially those mini cannons.

Will have to see some more pics but will likely pick it up. I mean it's a big new Pirates set after a long drought....

10 minutes ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

Is anyone else thinking about buying hull pieces and putting the main deck of this ship in a proper hull? 

Def not a full hull but a few well placed intact hull pieces would make it look better I think

Edited by ElectroDiva

Now this is something new that we havent seen before. And interesting execution, though I would have preferred less colors - maybe just a combo of black and either dark brown or dark bley (but not both), and choose between sand green and olive green and stick with one (and I guess the golden highlights are OK). Definitely not light bley for the cannons, though. But all in all, I like it. :thumbup:

3 minutes ago, deskp said:

I do hope that's the case,maybe we'll finally get the Dutchman.

1 minute ago, ElectroDiva said:

That's a bit harsh, it has some really nice details (those awesome sails for example).

The build below the deck looks a bit meh though - especially those mini cannons.

Will have to see some more pics but will likely pick it up. I mean it's a big new Pirates set after a long drought....

Exactly..we waited so long, and this is result..probably nice display piece, and I will take it to put it on shelf next to my BP and QAR ..BUT! I expect something more...This is kinda "Sucker Punch" from TLG.

This set offer nothing as far as I can see from those pics, only display...Only play feature is probably that "flexing something" (almost eating other ships :D) but thats it. Nicely demaged brick build hull but no cabin no other interior at all, no details except printing (hope so) on book and - really nice figs (crew members).. and some interesting pieces. After some time I will disasemble it and build proper Silent Mary (before destruction)...

As much as I LOVE pirate ships, I am a bit disappointed tbh. This is a GREAT model of the ship that appears in the film, so I can't knock Lego for that. I can however knock Lego for choosing THIS ship as the new set. I'm sorry, but the Flying Dutchman would have made a MUCH better choice imo. I think it would sell better, and would have helped bring interest back into POTC, from a Lego perspective. I just can't see this ship really selling that well, not like the FD would have sold anyways. So IMO, Lego really dropped the ball there. If the FD is coming as well (but we have not heard ANY info that it is) then my statement here is moot, but if this is really it, come on Lego.

Yes I will still be buying this set, day 1. Yes there are things I like about it, but thank God Lego is made to be changed at will. I see myself HEAVILY modifying this ship, which is not something I expect to do with a $200 set.

Just off the top of my head, I'm thinking of turning this into the proper Siletn Mary. Proper as in, not a ghost ship. Honestly, I'm thinking of building the bottom deck of the IFS and putting the deck from the Silent Mary on top. Getting rid of the "bow" function, proper cannons (the cannons on this set are HIGHLY dissappointing), and new sails. Although I do really like these sails, they won't fit the look I am going for, but I will use them somewhere. If I'm honest, it looks like my red coats might be getting a new flagship.

So we know the ship is facing right on the blurry pic of the box we have had for some time - for a while I thought that the ship was maybe facing left, with the raised part being the raised bow function. But the hull of the ship in the blurry pic looked more substantial that what weve got...

The way I see it Lego doesn't give a damn about PotC anymore.Back on 2011 we got a full on wave and a video game,now only one expensive set and 2 of those ugly brick figs.Such a shame really,movies like PotC has a plethora of locations and characters that can be turned into lego sets.

4 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

The way I see it Lego doesn't give a damn about PotC anymore.Back on 2011 we got a full on wave and a video game,now only one expensive set and 2 of those ugly brick figs.Such a shame really,movies like PotC has a plethora of locations and characters that can be turned into lego sets.

And back then people complained that the Black Pearl was a play set rather than big Imperial Flagship boats. Lego is dammed if they do and dammed if they don't.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Just now, gotoAndLego said:

And back then people complained that the ships were simple play sets rather than big Imperial Flagship boats. Lego is dammed if they do and dammed if they don't.

What is this??Is Lego immune to critisism now??

And for the record I never complained about the previous wave.

Personally I really like this ship, although I can very much understand why hardcore Pirates fans might dislike it. Visually I find it stunning. It's unlike any Lego ship ever, and it really has a spooky character to it. 

Colorwise I think there are some issues. I'm not a fan of the gold or the olive green, so I'll probably swap those out with grey and black respectively. They work now admittedly, but I'd like to push it to be a bit scarier. In that regard, the sails I think are simply amazing. They really sell this ship and Lego should be commended for how well they turned out. 

In terms of structure, it's a bit of a mixed bag I think. The necessary inclusion of the ship eating feature is unfortunate--that's a lot of technic work needed for something very gimmicky. The main weakness for me however is the fact that the ship doesn't have a flat bottom--you can't push this ship around. It's a display piece with an enormous unusable play feature. I was looking forward to a good ship fight with QAR (the only ship I currently own), but I don't think that'll happen now...

Figure wise though, again, stunning. The ghost crew is utterly amazing. I want so many of them; an army of them. I have no idea what for, but I want a lot. Salazar is good too, although he lacks the gruesome bits unfortunately--I don't think the crew suffers from their less bloodied apperance, but it would have helped if Salazar had a bit more ooze and darkness to him. 

I LOVE the 2011 wave. My only complaint is the BP itself. The way they designed it, it's a little unbalanced with the cannons and the masts, it's the only Lego Pirate Ship I feel that way about. Other than that, it was a very good set and a very good wave. 

52 minutes ago, deskp said:

Lego made the figures that need to accompany this set with the focus on its crew. and added the absolute necessary other characters.

Henrys face looks super dull and generic. At least they gave him accurate eyebrows, and the torso is nice. Carina seems to be just what she needs to be.

Figurehead should not be counted as a minifigure, it's like sad effort to fill in figures in a poorly populated 200$ set.

-

I think the official images we've seen so far isn't doing the set justice, it looks better in one ofthe instagram images from the top front side.

I compelrlty agree there.  They've missed Will, Barbosa, Gibbs.  Three big characters imo.  I think there is is deffinitly at least one other ship in the works.