Sign in to follow this  
ToaDraco

Discussion: LEGO Bionicle Makuta Contest

A combination model with a special mask - just like Ultimate Dume! :laugh:

It seems unlikely, but I do hope they put up instructions for him. That dude looks impossible to reverse-engineer.

It doesn't actually look that hard to reverse-engineer, unfortunately I don't have the time to try right now; if we don't get one as an official set in the near future, maybe I will give it a shot.

I am hoping we get the one with the black/gold/purple color scheme, he is the villain "toy" we always needed.

It doesn't actually look that hard to reverse-engineer, unfortunately I don't have the time to try right now; if we don't get one as an official set in the near future, maybe I will give it a shot.

It looked pretty challenging to me, but I'd love to see the community figure it all out. Bfa on BZP has already figured out how the staff works.

And yeah, looks like it only uses parts from those seven sets.

I think it's likely we'll get a gold MoUP with a transparent purple MoCo (ala transblue MoCr) in the winter wave, then probably a black or black/purple or gold/purple, possibly even a gold/black/purple blend of the MoUP in the summer wave.

Is it time to start a 2017 thread, or are we waiting for an set reveal to start it? It definitely seems that the MoUP if released will be in 2017.

That model's colours got changed quite a bit in the JtO version, with a lot of gold and trans orange being replaced by black and purple. At this point, I think it's safe to say that the gunmetal Makuta and the red and black MoUP from the 2015 animations are non-canon (and irrelevant for future sets) at this point, and that purple and gold have stayed as Makuta's main colours even after the MoUP corruption. The MoUP itself is either purple (JtO flashback), black (JtO episode 4), or a mix of the two, plus a possible gold variant, but no red at all there.

Why do people think that the MoUP was purple in the flashback? It was obviously black with pruple smoke covering it. Also, nowhere in the 2015 animations we've seen that the MoUP is red and black. Actually, we didn't even see it at all - only a dark smoke with red eyes and six protrusions sticking out of it (which is actually surprisingly accurate to the final version). Also, mind you, the Makuta model from JtO doesn't have any purple on it - it's mostly black, with some gold and red thrown here and there. The only "black and purple" Makuta we've seen so far is the Overlord version from the contest video, and we still don't know if it has any relevance in the canon.

Why do people think that the MoUP was purple in the flashback? It was obviously black with pruple smoke covering it. Also, nowhere in the 2015 animations we've seen that the MoUP is red and black. Actually, we didn't even see it at all - only a dark smoke with red eyes and six protrusions sticking out of it (which is actually surprisingly accurate to the final version). Also, mind you, the Makuta model from JtO doesn't have any purple on it - it's mostly black, with some gold and red thrown here and there. The only "black and purple" Makuta we've seen so far is the Overlord version from the contest video, and we still don't know if it has any relevance in the canon.

I'm not sure if it's smoke since the the Mask's finer details ("teeth", etc) are clearly visible. Still, that purple does have some glow to it so it might be just energy of some sort. So whether it's smoke or something else, you're probably right that the purple isn't part of the Mask- or, if it somehow used to be part of it, it's not there anymore by the time Makuta gets his body back.

But purple is definitely going to be there somewhere, even if it's not in the JtO Makuta. You don't come up with those high quality, official set tier printed parts just to show off a designer's cool MOC.

My theory is that Overlord Makuta is the closest thing we have to the final set for now, but they couldn't spoil a 2017 set (possibly even a Summer 2017 set) so early, so they came up with (or rather, brought back) Makuta's shapeshifting abilities to justify the difference between the JtO form and the set form we're going to get. The fact that JtO Makuta is a combo model pretty much solidifies that we're never going to get a set of him.

But, still, fair points.

Well the original Teridax could also take multiple forms so that could always be a trait that they carried over from the original.

Yeah, the point is, whatever the reason they decided to keep the shapeshifting powers from G1 Teridax, it works in their favour since they can pretty much come up with any design for Makuta, set or not.

Is it time to start a 2017 thread, or are we waiting for an set reveal to start it? It definitely seems that the MoUP if released will be in 2017.

The only reason I would say it's not time yet is because we don't have an official confirmation of this stuff being 2017 material, even though it's pretty much a given it is. If it were for me though, I'd open the thread already, since all the stuff we've been discussing has little to nothing to do with the 2016 sets.

A 2017 sets topic will be opened when we'll have some actual information, like names, or set numbers. Right now, we can only guess the MoUP (and the Vahi, BTW) will be in a set next year, but we don't know that for sure.

A separate topic for the contest should be opened soon too. :sweet:

Oh contest thread. Should we post our MOCs there when we make them, or can we post them in separate topics? My MOC is basically finished and I am waiting for the contest to open to post it on Rebrick first, then share it to here and MOCpages.

Need to get to building for the contest. I have some ideas, just need to put it together.

And probably order some more parts. I'm taking this contest seriously.

I'm playing with some ideas, I'm definitely not that best MOCer, but I'll probably throw in an entry just for fun.

I've already had a few ideas. Based on the outcome of the G2 contest, I'll go for a fairly generic villain, although it probably says something about me that something "generic" draws inspiration from an anthropomorphic meatgrinder.

I've already got something planned. I've already built up the torso, which includes three different functions alone. The only real trouble points I'm facing are the legs and head placement, but I'm sure I can work out those kinks.

I have an incomplete MOC that's been laying around for a couple of weeks, might do something with it if I decide to enter the contest (based on what I've seen in past contests, I could already tell my creation is going have a snowball's chance in hell.)

I started on something the other night. Something bigger than usual for me, but hopefully still cohesive in the end.

Edited by Logan McOwen

All discussion related to the Rebrick Makuta Contest can go here, including discussion of the Makuta concept models.

Please note: This is a contest on Rebrick and is in no way associated with Eurobricks. This thread is simply for the inevitable discussion which won't fit anywhere else- Obviously you may post your MOCs in their own separate threads here if you so desire.

Is it not there or is it just me ...

Yeah the link to the video isn't working anymore.

I'm wondering if it was uploaded prematurely. Contest doesn't officially begin until... August, was it? Plus they showed off Makuta before we even got to see him in JtO, so...

Anywho, I've been putting off MoCing until the contest officially begins. I've taken the time to brainstorm ideas, but I want to know all the rules before diving into building.

The Mask of Ultimate Power is a huge disappointment, me and my friends were expecting something similar from the 2015 mini episodes with the 6 horns having the color of element from each regions. Not some Evangelion knockoff.

Seems like John's Makuta is the only one out of those that look great, while the others... well...

Also I imagine those Skull Warrior mask are from the ones they couldn't sale :P

The funny thing is that I was thinking of using a pair of Shadow Traps halves as chest armour (like a big chest mouth) with something round and transparent on the middle (like a Tridax pod) for my.. Makuta MOC. Crazy I tell you.

What is funnier is that I did that with one of my 9DRC (9 days revamp to christmas) villain revamp.

I think there are high chances we're gonna get that black Mask of Fire along with the small guy wearing it, at least as a polybag.

Extremely likely that it's not going to be in the US and/or as just the mask itself for the polybag, sense the 2016 winter wave are already retiring soon (and it haven't been a year yet).

Edited by ShadowWolfHount

The Mask of Ultimate Power is a huge disappointment, me and my friends were expecting something similar from the 2015 mini episodes with the 6 horns having the color of element from each regions. Not some Evangelion knockoff.

Seems like John's Makuta is the only one out of those that look great, while the others... well...

You again? Weren't you banned on the TTV boards?

Anyway, to be on topic: I won't enter the contest seeing as I don't have many mocing skills and not enough money to buy parts to make something seeing as the size of the moc usually gives you a better chance to win.

What is funnier is that I did that with one of my 9DRC (9 days revamp to christmas) villain revamp.

Extremely likely that it's not going to be in the US and/or as just the mask itself for the polybag, sense the 2016 winter wave are already retiring soon (and it haven't been a year yet).

6 toned mask?

The idea might seem interesting and cool in your head but the actual outcome would look disgusting. I for one don't want an evil rainbow as a mask.

Even then, the design you see is just the 3D print not a product from the actual mold. Granted it won't look marginally better but it will look more clean and polished.

Now I quite like the mask myself, but you are right that Makuta itself looks disappointing. No callbacks to the original form, weird proportions, overly busy design with many too different textures and building choices, The staff looks odd, function I appreciate but it doesn't look all that interesting. Too many colors which can be partly forgiven because it's a combiner. Still, using tr.orange everywhere just gives a very generic feeling to the whole thing. I might try doing a combiner model of my own with different sets to demonstrate what I feel the canon model is lacking.

Ok.....the MOUP is a disappointment maybe for you, which is fine. Everyone likes different things. There's no need to insult the designers just because you don't like what they came up with.