Sign in to follow this  
SevenStuds

Is LEGO promoting non-purist thinking?

A few days ago, LEGO has started uploading episodes of "Beyond The Instructions" on their YouTube channel.

The idea is that they show an official set and then modify it, often using 3'rd party parts like RC drone equipment, helium balloons, cameras, laser pointers, IE things that are obviously not made by LEGO... wait, isn't that "against the instructions"? :snicker: Sure is!

Now the question is:

Are they doing it to rattle the brand-loyal builders?

Or is there anything positive that you see in these types of experimental videos?

PS: The idea is not to endlessly debate if "purism" is good or bad, because that never ends anywhere constructive. It's just to discuss what intentions LEGO might have and what effects there could be in the way MOCers and MODers carry out their hobby.

Edited by SevenStuds

Well, they've long offered sets from time to time that are designed to work with non-LEGO elements, whether they're pencil holders filled with non-LEGO pencils, Power Functions stuff powered by non-LEGO batteries and wall outlets, or boats that really float in non-LEGO water.

Are they doing it to rattle the brand-loyal builders?

Or is there anything positive that you see in these types of experimental videos?

They're basically doing it to promote the brand with people NOT in the AFOL/hobbyist crowd. Your average 10-year-old might think that's a pretty awesome project, but not have NEARLY the bricks or experience to build these things on their own. But it gets them thinking about how to build with LEGO. Honestly, LEGO probably doesn't care at all what ELSE you add to your creations, as long as it's not a competing product, and as long as you're using LEGO as the "core" of your creation.

I doubt many AFOLs will be all that impressed with what they've done there. I mean, it's cute and all, but you can see better hobbyist creations pretty easily, that do all kinds of even crazier things-- most of which are totally purist.

Actually... I can't think of a time when the LEGO company has really cared about the hobbyists being purists. They're usually purist about the products they sell-- but even LEGO Education has non-LEGO stuff in there (and has encouraged that for years). It's really the hobbyists who are obsessed with being purist. And a few of the things they show are pretty difficult to manage using strictly LEGO parts.

DaveE

It is not the first time I have heard parents saying kids are building their models according instructions and never modify them or MOC. I've even heard parents not allowing kids to mix parts between the sets (hic!).

I think such videos encourage kids to use imagination and inspire with fantasies (no boundaries) to build something new.

I don't think this will any affect on AFOL community. There tons of ways you can use LEGO alternatively already.

I'm sure they are malicious and want to upset everyone who is building only by instructions and uses only lego pieces! :laugh:

Nah, actually they just want to do some outreach and increase their customer base. Of course there will always be the odd traditionslists rejecting new impulses :wink:

I don't think LEGO has too many 100% LEGO rules other than entries in their contests, MOCs for LEGO Store community windows and some marketing projects.

Showcasing the versatility of Lego with other non-Lego products only helps promote sales.

Now, if we were talking about Lego using third-party pieces like BrickArms stuff, that would be different.

I agree, it is probably an attempt to boost sales to people who either don't have a large amount of pieces, or, possibly it is designed to challenge the thinking that Lego is a toy which can't be used with anything else. :wink:

I had occasionally played with LEGO and non-LEGO stuff together since kidhood.

Usually incorporating materials like wood, cardboard, paper, and, in 2 cases, part of a tree (screwed to a board so it can stand up).

I hope these videos are made to test new ways to make Lego parts, i mean, include things that many people would love to get by buying the models, and i am talking for example, like they did with the Lego 42054 new tires, things like these, new tires, motors, cameras, maybe lasers, are the tings that many people might want, and would be amazing to see them as official parts, so purist or not, you are able to use them with no problem, and i also think that these videos would be cool for maybe, basic or complex improvements or mods for some models, which is nice to see from the Lego company.

Also, that drone is freaking amazing.

Edited by ImanolBB

I don't think LEGO has ever cared about whether people's models are purist or not, except in contests where they basically have to for the sake of fairness. There have been plenty of things in LEGO magazines and books over the years that have advertised ways of using other kinds of craft supplies like string, paper, and balloons to create new ways of playing with LEGO bricks. One of the demo videos from the LEGO Studios Movie Maker Set used a baseball together with LEGO bricks and minifigures to recreate the boulder scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark, and The LEGO Movie made the non-LEGO "relics" an integral part of its story.

I don't see how brand loyalty has anything to do with it, either, because I don't think anybody's so insanely devoted to LEGO that they wouldn't be willing to use any other brand of products. And LEGO isn't likely to see drone manufacturers, balloon manufacturers, or laser pointer manufacturers as "competition". So why should they be afraid of promoting things you can do with those products alongside their own toys?

Purism is a concept that pretty much only pertains to the activities of the fan community. It is not something that the LEGO Group cares one way or another about as long as you are buying and enjoying their products.

Actually, where is the problem? I light my LEGO houses with non-LEGO LEDs (oh my god!) and I even use an Arduino to control it (oooaaahh ...)

Some people have problems ....

I think LEGO is a multi-dimensional concept, its utility can be applied to anything - using LEGO is only the manifestation of your imagination, not the limit of the practicality.

Edited by BrownR93

I'm not crazy for much of what they've done, but I don't think they mean bad, probably trying to appeal to general audiences like some have suggested.

But I did do something similar to video 5, except used way fewer pieces :laugh:

11505128883_416823af0a_c.jpg

I'm not sure they are promoting it, just 'showing the possibilities.' Heck, when I was younger I taped a minfig to a balloon and made him fly.

I can't think of a time when the LEGO company has really cared about the hobbyists being purists... It's really the hobbyists who are obsessed with being purist.

Totally agree. One might imagine that TLG would be martinets when it came to purism, but at the end of the day, as several others have already observed, TLG makes decisions primarily on commercial grounds.

Now, if we were talking about Lego using third-party pieces like BrickArms stuff, that would be different.

Almost exactly that did happen once. TLG used BrickForge parts a few years ago in its marketing. Admittedly, it was to the toy trade, not to consumers, but they didn't hide it from the general public either.

Almost exactly that did happen once. TLG used BrickForge parts a few years ago in its marketing. Admittedly, it was to the toy trade, not to consumers, but they didn't hide it from the general public either.

Wow, really?! I did not know that! When did that happen?

Considering "purist" often means "building in ways similar to official LEGO sets" then it's difficult (impossible) for TLG to not be purist, that is, for them to make a set they won't make.

Whether TLG incorporates balloons into YouTube idea-videos or whether R&D cuts and paints bricks doesn't really change things for people who like to build according to the above definition, and I don't think the videos above reflect any attitude about that.

Edited by GregoryBrick

Something you have to consider is that the majority of Lego's "rules" are bound to 1 single thing: Lego should be re-usable. And to be re-usable, parts should be kept usable. That's really where all those rules come from, it's not about being purist, it's about not doing stuff that will damage part (immediately or over time).

As for incorporating third-party stuff, it's kind of like "Lego" as soon as Lego has released it. I'm not even sure Lego has always been producing things like rubberbands & pneumatic tubes themselves (would make sense to have them produce by another company), but as soon as Lego has released it, it's officially "Lego". So it's only in ads that Lego can incorporate non-Lego stuff anyway.

Still, to me there are 2 kinds of things an adult can make with Lego

1. MOCs as an art, and here it's about everyone sharing the same rules, thus yeah, we'd better be purists

2. things that work. Maybe Technics vehicles/machines are on the fence here, but if I was doing robotics, I would certainly not care if everything was Lego. Here Lego is more of a tool, easier & faster than 3D-printing. The thing just has to work, whether it's for the beauty of working, or to really have a function.

But making a nice MOC that's painted (although I have seen great painted MOCs), uses other brands or cut parts, to me it's all like entering a pencil drawing contest with an oil paint, it doesn't make sense. If it looks great but it's not "all Lego", then I put it in the "free art" category, and it will really have to be much more impressive, as it had less rules to follow. And next to a 3D-printed 3D model that has been carefully painted, the near-Lego MOC probably won't shine.

Edited by anothergol

Wow, really?! I did not know that! When did that happen?

2010. TLG was showing CMF series 2 to the trade but hadn't yet produced all the prototypes of the Spartan's accessories so used BrickForge parts instead. To be clear, TLG wasn't trying to pass the BF parts as its own. If asked, it was freely admitting that those parts were stand ins produced by a third party for demonstration purposes.

On 8/9/2016 at 9:51 AM, AmperZand said:

2010. TLG was showing CMF series 2 to the trade but hadn't yet produced all the prototypes of the Spartan's accessories so used BrickForge parts instead. To be clear, TLG wasn't trying to pass the BF parts as its own. If asked, it was freely admitting that those parts were stand ins produced by a third party for demonstration purposes.

I know this post is from August, but, this is really interesting to know. Lego seems to be indifferent to the third parties. They're very strict about no modern military/SWAT/firearms(aside from a couple) but I guess they don't really mind that void being filled up. They don't even have to make any with these third parties.

It would be very difficult for TLG to stop third parties like BrickForge and BrickWarriors even if they wanted to (which they don't). Those third parties aren't infringing any of TLG's IP rights and aren't passing themselves off as TLG. They're producing parts that are their own designs under their own brands.