I am not at all upset. I'd love more train things too. Maybe if you, me and the other many fans of Trains bought more trains then LEGO would make more. :)

I just got back into the whole Lego scene after like 20 years (I'm 26), just in the beginning of December and I already have all the train products they sell today so I'm doing my part :wink: and I'm here to stay :laugh:

12 hours ago, alican said:

I just got back into the whole Lego scene after like 20 years (I'm 26), just in the beginning of December and I already have all the train products they sell today so I'm doing my part :wink: and I'm here to stay :laugh:

I'm also back at it again after 15 years or so. I'm 23 and I just bought myself the blue Cargo Train and I love it! I still own 2 9V trains so those go well together. 
I really hope there's going to be new trains in 2017. I like the red Cargo Train they're offering right now, but I'm not a fan of the dual-cab engines so I'm going to pass on that. And I don't like the huge nose-pieces on the passenger train. Those pieces are otherwise completely useless and that's just not "Lego" enough for me. 

I'm hoping to see a new creator passenger train. Maybe something vintage, like a Santa Fe type thing or something iconic like an Orient Express... I'm gonna keep my hopes up :D

5 hours ago, Wabbajack said:

Is it the 31054 set or a hobby train like the Maersk? I cannot access the page from Europe.

Really? That's odd. It's a $5 little Creator box. Nothing to be excited about.

On 31.12.2016 at 5:25 PM, Bricknblue said:

I'm not sure what there is to be lost about. 10-12 years ago LEGO made different wagons and such, they didn't sell. LEGO is in the business to make money, they didn't sell, why make sets that don't sell?
*snip*
However maybe this 'LEGO culture point of view' will someone explain why a company should make things that don't sell. LEGO isn't your friend, they are the biggest toy company in the world, and they are for a reason.

Well, I'm back into LEGO after a 20 year long Dark Age. Seeing how Train fans are treated nowadays just breaks my heart. To me, LEGO WAS indeed my friend, for giving me a lot of pleasure and fun while building random things or particular cars or buildings out of those little plastic blocks. Today it seems it's more about licensed sets and making truckloads of money with collectors instead of lighting up childrens eyes (or in that case, the eyes of the train lovers).

If you look into the catalogue for 1H 2017, there is 1 page reserved for LEGO trains. With a mere 5 products, 3 train sets and 2 accessory packs with rails / switches. There is still no possibility to buy straights or curves in a seperate pack (like back in the 90ies), there is not one single additional train building. This whole page is just crammed in somewhere between all those Police sets (3 pages!!! dedicated for those!) and looks like it's totally lost. But maybe I'm wrong and that's just the overall style of todays catalogues? To me the presentation looks sterile and does not stimulate me to buy any of those.

Look at this catalog page from the 90ies. Besides having one extra loco, a beautiful train station, extra hopper, flatbed and cargo cars, look at that presentation of the line-up:

d-1992-03.jpg

And the best thing: You could buy all those sets shown if you wanted to! No sets that were just around for 1 year or limited in release numbers. Funny that these sets are high-price in mint condition nowadays, eh? Maybe it's just me, missing good old times. I don't know. I'm still hoping for a cool set (like those I have missed in my Dark Ages (Maersk :cry_sad:)) for 2017, but If it happens it will be in the 2H for sure.

BTW: To stay fair, you could as well complain about the missing housing options for your town... but that would go into another subforum...

46 minutes ago, THERIZE said:

Are they onto something? https://ideas.lego.com/projects/102261

31054 looks like a copy. Let's hope that it foreshadows an upcoming steam locomotive. 

Hmmm, I don't see that much of a resemblance. Those steam trains often have identical styling, so it's hard to tell from that little micro train.

Tbh, I wouldn't be happy with a steam loco anyway, I know there's a big following for those but they're not my style.

1 hour ago, alican said:

Tbh, I wouldn't be happy with a steam loco anyway, I know there's a big following for those but they're not my style.

And then there's this attitude that makes it even harder to cater to train builders...!!!

While I'll confess to being primarily a steam builder, that doesn't mean I'd shy away from decent sets featuring more modern trains.

I'd say that TLG needs to get back into the habit of having multiple builds in their train sets -- even if the alt models look a little funky.

I've personally been working on an Ideas submission that will hopefully satiate a vast majority of train builders with one set offering.

These are the four different models that I'm in the process of building irl & Ldd:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Fowler_Class_4F

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavarian_EP_2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-4-0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_08

I also plan on adding more possible builds in the future, but these are the main four.

(((maybe this'll make the Ideas cut? lol)))

8 hours ago, Capparezza said:

Hmmm, I don't see that much of a resemblance. Those steam trains often have identical styling, so it's hard to tell from that little micro train.

So LEGO is your friend (Which you need to look up what a friend is) yet you are against a steam train? Really? Maybe all the LEGO trains should look exactly the same just to please you.

28 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

And then there's this attitude that makes it even harder to cater to train builders...!!!

Well, I bought multiple copies of the current series train&train related products so they won't miss it if I don't get 1 steam loco :wink:

9 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

I've personally been working on an Ideas submission that will hopefully satiate a vast majority of train builders with one set offering.

These are the four different models that I'm in the process of building irl & Ldd:

That is really cool and getting four builds out of one set of bricks is very impressive. Its difficult enough getting decent looking models out of the standard 3-build options for the Creator line, much respect. I would be very interested and any train fan posting about wanting more trains should be behind this and support it 100%. 

11 hours ago, Bricknblue said:

So LEGO is your friend (Which you need to look up what a friend is) yet you are against a steam train? Really? Maybe all the LEGO trains should look exactly the same just to please you.

Errr.... I guess we do have a little misunderstanding here. What I was trying to say is: the mere fact that I (for me) cannot tell that the little Micro train has very much of a similarity to the one from the LEGO ideas program. There are so many different styles of steam trains out there that I fail to see any connection of these two (besides being steam trains).

It is indeed true, I do like electrical or diesel engines more than steam trains. But that still doesn't make me a steam train hater... I'd love to have a decent one (for a fair price) in my collection. So, if LEGO is going to release another good looking steamer like the EN, I will definitely get it. I just missed the EN because of my Dark Age and nowadays it is on the "Too pricey, cannot afford" stack :cry_sad:

On 02/01/2017 at 10:53 AM, THERIZE said:

Are they onto something? https://ideas.lego.com/projects/102261

31054 looks like a copy. Let's hope that it foreshadows an upcoming steam locomotive. 

Thanks THERIZE!

MkIII is being worked on now, based on feedback and testing the brick built version - funny how it all works in LDD :)

31274588293_0344e9d65c_b.jpg