I can't find a '2017 Lego Trains' thread, so I'll just leave this here:

21130 Nether Train [Minecraft]

I'm struggling to find an image for a nether train in Minecraft, if I'm honest, but it does seem like they do rails now, so you never know...

Edited by Paperballpark

I was about to suggest to convert it to the 9V system, then you loose the battery box. But then you loose unfortunately the red wheels on the locomotive. Unless you extend the tender so a motor fits beneath it.

Does anyone know if the pf train engine in compatible (voltage and how it "works") with the old 9V power supply?

To clarify it, would it be possible to use something like this...

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=936292

... in the coal cart to power the pf train motor with the old 9v power supply?

So you can use the red wheeled engine without the batterybox and IR just simply with the old 9V setup?

Hmmm, I wonder if said Nether Train would be like the already existing maincraft railcar, or if it would even have the narrow gauge rails? Narrow gauge rails would be great to have again!

Does anyone know if the pf train engine in compatible (voltage and how it "works") with the old 9V power supply?

Should work, if you connect it to the right terminals at the IR receiver. With the use of a PF extension you can hookup the old train controller to an IR receiver, so this will work too.

See Duqs comment here:

https://www.flickr.c...57617947835040/

I meant like geeting the power of the old metal tracks directly into the new pf train motor, so you don't need the IR receiver or battery box.

I found a video on youtube where someone uses the old axles in a new motor and it runs, so it is possible to use the voltage.

So you have red wheels in the train and the power comes from the coal cart custom-wheels, all running in an old track setup, great!

I understand. I do love the 9V system (see my avatar :sweet: ) but also do appreciate the possibility to control your trains wireless, but still getting power from the rails instead of the battery. I wouldn't sacrifice that freedom in this case, the IR receiver is a lot easier to hide away than receiver + battery box.

I meant like geeting the power of the old metal tracks directly into the new pf train motor, so you don't need the IR receiver or battery box.

I found a video on youtube where someone uses the old axles in a new motor and it runs, so it is possible to use the voltage.

So you have red wheels in the train and the power comes from the coal cart custom-wheels, all running in an old track setup, great!

Was that by chance my video?

I understand. I do love the 9V system (see my avatar :sweet: ) but also do appreciate the possibility to control your trains wireless, but still getting power from the rails instead of the battery. I wouldn't sacrifice that freedom in this case, the IR receiver is a lot easier to hide away than receiver + battery box.

You still can. Use an old 9V motor to pick up the voltage from the rails and instead of connecting it directly to the PF motor, connect it to the PF receiver using the inner two connections of the PF-cable. See also in the video above.

You still can. Use an old 9V motor to pick up the voltage from the rails and instead of connecting it directly to the PF motor, connect it to the PF receiver using the inner two connections of the PF-cable. See also in the video above.

Yes, that's what I suggested in my previous post, but it seems finish-last would like to get rid of the IR receiver as well :wink: So, he wants to control the motor directly by the 9V controller. I just objected that, as the IR receiver is quite easy to conceal, to keep it in.

I do like your videos BTW. The one with the automated container yard is just awesome... indeed, all of your arduino videos are just awesome :thumbup:

Edited by Capparezza

Indeed, but I don't want a second motor under the coal cart, I would make something like this to power the motor directly.

lgaugewhpkup3.jpg

The video that I saw was this here:

A strange man in his barn...

Edited by finish-last

I can't find a '2017 Lego Trains' thread, so I'll just leave this here:

21130 Nether Train [Minecraft]

I'm struggling to find an image for a nether train in Minecraft, if I'm honest, but it does seem like they do rails now, so you never know...

Please please use narrow gauge rails aplenty. I'd buy a set for those in a heartbeat!

@finish-last: that seems like an awful lot of trouble. Why not just put a 9V motor under the tender and leave the loco as-is?

Would it be an option to paint the 9V motor wheels red like the way model railroaders paint their rolling stock wheels with rust colour?

Or make a round red glossy sticker to cover the black round part of the 9V motor wheels?

Would it be an option to paint the 9V motor wheels red like the way model railroaders paint their rolling stock wheels with rust colour?

Or make a round red glossy sticker to cover the black round part of the 9V motor wheels?

You can just buy red wheels. I already have mine for my upcoming creation. I just need some red axles.

You can just buy red wheels. I already have mine for my upcoming creation. I just need some red axles.

Are you sure you know what we're talking about? The 9V train motor has fixed wheels with a black centre and silver rims. Yes you can buy red wheels but you can't put them on the 9V train motor.

10153-1.jpg

@finish-last: that seems like an awful lot of trouble. Why not just put a 9V motor under the tender and leave the loco as-is? [/Quote]

I thought of that too but the tender is 8 studs so it has to be increased by 4 studs like in 10173, no big deal though, I just thought maybe it is possible to do it like lego intended but without the battery box and IR.

Painting the inner circle of the 9v would be an option of course...

I'm curious about the single blind driver that is not attached to anything. Why would they include only one of them?

Because it comes pre-packed with to "normal" large wheels

Edited by vclarke

I'm curious about the single blind driver that is not attached to anything. Why would they include only one of them?

Yes the mold stamps two flanged wheels and one blind wheel at once.

Yes the mold stamps two flanged wheels and one blind wheel at once.

That explains it. It's a shame because two would have been useful for modifications without having to buy a second set or worry about Bricklinking it.

hmm. mixed feelings about the Winter Village train.

As a train it doesn't look good. It is more a play set. And in that sense it should work well. That turning christmas tree is a really nice touch. Apart from that I like the minifigs, and if it has a red plate bogie plate...

Let''s wait for a review to get more details.

^ Probably quite a bit more expensive than if you just buy it from Lego.com when it's released...

OH! Thanks to ebay I have just been able to see it for the first time! Very clever! It looks like the only track included are curved tracks! Also, it looks like there is 1 blind driver...interesting. Has anyone else noticed that the flat car has...it looks like a 6L axle in the PF train wheels and axle pins with no friction ridges in the back...very interesting...

OH! Thanks to ebay I have just been able to see it for the first time! Very clever! It looks like the only track included are curved tracks! Also, it looks like there is 1 blind driver...interesting. Has anyone else noticed that the flat car has...it looks like a 6L axle in the PF train wheels and axle pins with no friction ridges in the back...very interesting...

Yes i just diid. The tree spins when the train move forward.