I'd be happy with just some extra accessories sets, like extra carriages fro existing trains, or track side/track crossing stuff.

Ok, here's an update: you won't get a new train this year.

Happy?

Ok, here's an update: you won't get a new train this year.

Happy?

Cue sudden wave of depression, followed by late night binge-building...

Now contemplating whether to buy food or buy bricks...

Cue sudden wave of depression, followed by late night binge-building...

Now contemplating whether to buy food or buy bricks...

VtZm4CW.png

Didn't the modular station recently get 10k.... In 1-6 months we should know if it'll be a set or not right?

Didn't the modular station recently get 10k.... In 1-6 months we should know if it'll be a set or not right?

It most likely won't become a set. At least thats what happens with every project I like on Lego Ideas.

16470312697_c9361a55d2_z.jpg

:sad:

Oh boy beer and tissues. Dang I miss my huge P-A-B cup full of those clear tiles.

Edit.... I can't spell

Edited by Electricsteam

A train station would be way too expensive for an ideas set.

Edited by 3797

Ghostbuster's Firehouse... $399...

Ghostbuster's Firehouse... $399...

But not technically an Ideas set. The first Ecto-1 was, but the Firehouse/Dimensions/Reboot sets are all part of a licensed theme. Same with Minecraft, the first set was a Cuusoo set, but everything else was all a licensed theme.

But not technically an Ideas set. The first Ecto-1 was, but the Firehouse/Dimensions/Reboot sets are all part of a licensed theme. Same with Minecraft, the first set was a Cuusoo set, but everything else was all a licensed theme.

Yes, but totally bit off a succeeding Ideas project. Whether it was derived directly from it or not, it does show that an idea can get drafted from Ideas into a large set. But yes, technically the upper limit has been $60 USD with Dr Who and Big Bang.

I think the Ideas set size is more a limiting factor than the price.

From the LEGO Ideas - Blog:

Some projects can challenge the rules we have on safe and good building experience for all LEGO builders. We can also have difficulties simply producing some of the larger projects with the production capacity we have for LEGO Ideas.

I think the Ideas set size is more a limiting factor than the price.

From the LEGO Ideas - Blog:

Some projects can challenge the rules we have on safe and good building experience for all LEGO builders. We can also have difficulties simply producing some of the larger projects with the production capacity we have for LEGO Ideas.

Saw that yesterday while digging. The new Maze/Labyrinth set will be $70, something like 800 pieces, largest one yet (though probably more generic pieces/colors than previous Ideas sets).

I just picked up a Heavy Haul Train, despite the fact that I said I wouldn't. I just couldn't pass up the set on sale and double VIP points.

Guess that's my "2016 set"

Now back on topic:

I thought once more about the new Winter Train and came to the conclusion that it will be very unlikely that it'll be only four studs wide as well as it including a train station. Most likely it'll be a Creator Expert set (like the previous Winter sets and even the Emerald Night, the Maersk Container Truck and the Horizon Express). So very supposably a big engine and two big cars or one big and two small ones.

It would be great if the building alternative in this 2 in 1 set would include a train station. This way you could buy two sets and in total get the original train and a train station. But I fear that TLG hadn't planned this.

Klaus-Dieter

Now back on topic:

I thought once more about the new Winter Train and came to the conclusion that it will be very unlikely that it'll be only four studs wide as well as it including a train station. Most likely it'll be a Creator Expert set (like the previous Winter sets and even the Emerald Night, the Maersk Container Truck and the Horizon Express). So very supposably a big engine and two big cars or one big and two small ones.

It would be great if the building alternative in this 2 in 1 set would include a train station. This way you could buy two sets and in total get the original train and a train station. But I fear that TLG hadn't planned this.

Klaus-Dieter

If they stick to the theme of the previous 3 creator train sets, the next one will likely follow the same recipe:

1) Price: around $130USD

2) Engine and 1-2 cars

3) Able to be motorized with power functions

4) No track or power functions included, minimal accessories (Maersk Train)

Chatting with a long time employee of a Lego store, he indicated that many potential buyers of the last 3 sets were swayed away due to the face that the set didn't include track, power functions, and track-side accessories/structures. Sure, they were a hit with the AFOLs, but that isn't always enough to justify TLG continuing the series in its current form. Given the current healthy amount of train sets on the shelves (2x cargo trains, passenger train, train station) I bet Lego feels that is enough right now.

Edited by eliminator

I just picked up a Heavy Haul Train, despite the fact that I said I wouldn't. I just couldn't pass up the set on sale and double VIP points.

On sale? Baaa Canada not US, at ~$150usd I'd have been tempted too. Maybe I should crack open the pair of 60051s instead.

On sale on shop@home? Nice. All I see in the Sales & Deals for Ireland is some watches and keychains...

As for new City trains:

2006 - 7897 & 7898

2010 - 7938 & 7939

2011 - 3677

2014 - 60051 & 60052

2015 - 60098

I'm not expecting another City train until 2018...

I'm not expecting another City train until 2018...

I think you're right. That's why I'm spreading out my purchases of the current train sets. Only buying them on sale, preferably when Lego is offering bonus items or double VIP points.

Just an idea, how about putting My Own Train-style cars on ideas? They'll meet the piece preference, and should have enough appeal to a broad crowd, especially if a piece of straight track comes with the sets.

Don't want to be mr Negative, but do you think there might be a reason My Own Train stopped after just one year?

The problem with trains (on Ideas and in Creator Expert) seems to be that it's very hard to find a train that has worldwide appeal. High-end cars are the same around the world; Ferrari's and Porsches are recognised everywhere. Trains however look different and that makes it hard to get enough votes.