Hello everyone, it seems like it is time for this topic because of the anticipation of TLG doing something special for the 50th anniversary of lego trains. Saying this please share any new 2016 trains here.

Thank you in advance.

There is supposed to be a Friend Party train. Might be an opportunity to make a real bar car. :classic:

Now a lego friends train would be quite interesting especially with a bar car.

Edited by Legoboy22

We don't have any confirmations yet so it is still all speculation of course :)

Hello everyone, it seems like it is time for this topic because of the anticipation of TLG doing something special for the 50th anniversary of lego trains. Saying this please share any new 2016 trains here.

Thank you in advance.

I am quite sure that set 323 has been released in 1965 - so the 50th anniversary falls this year.

Ehh, there's a bit of time between Lego sets releases in different locations. Like Bionicle was released in 2000, and we didn't get the sets until 2001. I'd wager there was at least a 6 month period it was released, pushing it into 1966 as well. As for the Friend's Party train? That sounds kinda interesting, but we'll have to wait and see what it is before we freak out over it though.

why do I think the party train would be some generic small tender locomotive or something like the holiday train. I'm very curious for this set.

Hopefully a new creator train. Maybe a steamer again. That'd be nice, I missed out on Emerald night. And as Horizon Express has been retired for over six months now I would think we're due one.

I'm pretty sure there won't be a new city train as we have three current ones, and I wouldn't think they're due for retirement yet. They are usually around for three years before retirement.

Unfortunately I'm not sure that the train theme is big enough for a special anniversary release. Maybe a nod towards their origins in a new creator set.

I'd love love love for a new set like the 10183 Hobby Train. Another great set I missed out on. And a great way to get people into trains.

I haven't given up hope for a creator train in 2015 yet :tongue: Though it is starting to become apparent I might be wrong.

I've followed the 2015 thread and I loved all the reactions on the 60098 train, as it seemed to come out of nowhere :grin: I hope we're going to have a same surprise in 2016.

yeah new couplings would be nice! maybe something like new couplings where you can just take the buffers of or some might be handy. or even using screws or some won't be a problem for me! i'm happy enough when I don't need to cut the newer couplings.

A new Expert train would definitely be nice! sadly I missed the Emerald Night, Maersk and the Horizon Express so I hope the next one will be something cool! maybe some shunter or a tank engine? or just a new battery box that is smaller. surely it doesn't need to be so big?

I don't see any real need to change the current couplings. I model in 7-wide, and I use the couplings just fine. Also, as Lego only make trains in 6-wide, the current couplings are fine for their products. I'd be extremely surprised if they're losing any kind of large portion of their sales because of 'wrong' couplings, and certainly not half their market.

Too many people in the AFOL community think along the lines of what is good for them and them alone, forgetting that in the grand scheme of things, they're a minute part of Lego's business. Yes it would be nice, but it would also be nice if I won the lottery, and as I don't even play it, that's not going to happen.

The couplings are fine for the most part. It's not hard or inaccurate to use a 6 wide coupling with a 7-8 wide locomotive. I've seen a lot of diesel locos and intermodal cars, and I don't think I've ever seen a coupling and buffer as wide as the loco or car. They're always a bit narrower than the body of the car or loco due to loading gauges and design. It's inconsequential to the design of a Lego train, and I doubt enough people are building proper 10 wide to make a difference. A difference of 1/2 or 1 stud between the end of a coupler and a car is actually more accurate than no gap. Anyways, I hope we get a big steamer, something interesting like a PRR T1 4-4-4-4. And since it is getting to the 50th anniversary, it'll probably be something big like a new Hobby Train, a DD40X, or maybe a UP Big Boy. Or possibly something along the lines of a improved My Own Train. At least I hope.

yeah new couplings would be nice! maybe something like new couplings where you can just take the buffers of or some might be handy. or even using screws or some won't be a problem for me! i'm happy enough when I don't need to cut the newer couplings.

A new Expert train would definitely be nice! sadly I missed the Emerald Night, Maersk and the Horizon Express so I hope the next one will be something cool! maybe some shunter or a tank engine? or just a new battery box that is smaller. surely it doesn't need to be so big?

I agree, it would be nice to have some new couplings with moveable buffers.

The couplings are fine for the most part. It's not hard or inaccurate to use a 6 wide coupling with a 7-8 wide locomotive. I've seen a lot of diesel locos and intermodal cars, and I don't think I've ever seen a coupling and buffer as wide as the loco or car. They're always a bit narrower than the body of the car or loco due to loading gauges and design. It's inconsequential to the design of a Lego train, and I doubt enough people are building proper 10 wide to make a difference. A difference of 1/2 or 1 stud between the end of a coupler and a car is actually more accurate than no gap. Anyways, I hope we get a big steamer, something interesting like a PRR T1 4-4-4-4. And since it is getting to the 50th anniversary, it'll probably be something big like a new Hobby Train, a DD40X, or maybe a UP Big Boy. Or possibly something along the lines of a improved My Own Train. At least I hope.

A UP big boy would be nice but you have to keep in mind that the TLG wants train sets to be be reasonable sizes so I am hoping for a mallard.

A nice Northern would be nice.

Maybe the only unretired one working for its original owner in the world. Union Pacific FEF-3 844

I would buy it and a 4-8-4 wheel arrangement would make it large but not overbearing. Also 2 paint schemes to choose from.

The best thing TLG could do for LEGO trains is to make the couplings attach to a piece like a 2x3 plate with hole and not to the buffer beam. This would allow standard couplings to be used for trains of any width. As it is they are suitable only for 6-wide trains so they are a waste to builders of narrower, wider or narrow-gauge trains;

I doubt a new buffer beam is coming any time soon. In the ambassador forum I suggest many years ago the idea of making the actual buffers a separate part. Not only is it good for other train widths, it is particularly good for North American modelers. I still occasionally toss in a conventional buffer beam just for homage to the 10020 and similar vintage designs based on US trains.

64424mdf.jpg

I eventually resorted to making my own

64424realized.jpg

As for big steam engines (which I think would make a fantastic set) I doubt Lego will go over 3 pairs of driving wheels. The tight lego curves will impede anything longer.

From an AFOL perspective the newest buffers / magnets are indeed even worse than the old ones, supposedly for safety reasons but well... I don't see a kid swallow the whole magnet with it's surroundings. I can imagine that smaller magnets are dangerous but even then...

From an AFOL perspective the newest buffers / magnets are indeed even worse than the old ones, supposedly for safety reasons but well... I don't see a kid swallow the whole magnet with it's surroundings. I can imagine that smaller magnets are dangerous but even then...

I can not imagine a 5 year old child swallowing a magnet, he may as well swallow the entire thing now. When I was that age I do not think I ever swallowed a Lego piece

Buffers held on by technic pins could be strong enough to survive the impact of coupling and train crashes. At the same time they are removable for esthetics. Now if someone inside LEGO could put together a business case...

There have been lawsuits involving other companies and strong small magnets swallowed by children. I don't think they would put their reputation as a safe toy company at risk to please the AFOL community.

I saw a price list for a lot of 2016 sets and the Friends 'Party Train' was listed for just €9.99. Must be pretty small, or not really a 'train' in the traditional sense...maybe just a car?

Edited by talos

I saw a price list for a lot of 2016 sets and the Friends 'Party Train' was listed for just €19.99. Must be pretty small, or not really a 'train' in the traditional sense...maybe just a car?

Someone mentioned $9.99 before the page was removed on Amazon Germany. Maybe like one of those tractor pulled "trains" for kids parties. If it was $99 then it could a Ghost Train sized set. I guess wait and see. Although it is kind of fun to speculate. :laugh:

Someone mentioned $9.99 before the page was removed on Amazon Germany. Maybe like one of those tractor pulled "trains" for kids parties. If it was $99 then it could a Ghost Train sized set. I guess wait and see. Although it is kind of fun to speculate. :laugh:

I got my info from here, still has the prices listed, they copied them over to their site. I somehow typed..a 1 in my other post, I corrected it there..whoops! I bet you are right, its just a push around wagon.

http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-2016-set-name-listings-on-amazon-de/

I got my info from here, still has the prices listed, they copied them over to their site. I somehow typed..a 1 in my other post, I corrected it there..whoops! I bet you are right, its just a push around wagon.

http://www.thebrickf...s-on-amazon-de/

Too bad, would have been nice though! There were only a few creator sets listed and all were < 50€ so I guess (hope) the list is also still a draft and will get bigger.

I wonder how well the Horizon Express (last "expert" train) sold and whether LEGO may be reluctant to do another AFOL-targeted train if the HE didn't make enough money...

I always thought it a bit odd how LEGO dumped the horizon express in their bargain bin without a new creator expert model to replace it.