Murdoch17

4-8-2 Mountain type steam loco - Frisco 1522 - real life MOC

This loco is a 1926 oil burning 4-8-2 "Mountain" type, (4 leading, 8 drivers, 2 trailing) that was made surplus in 1951, donated to the Museum of Transportation (of St. Louis, Missouri) in 1959, and restored to working order in 1988 for it's excursion career. It's new lease on life lasted until 2002 when insurance costs and a failing boiler made the engine enter it's second retirement, while will be probably be forever.

37334524674_b7784160f4_z.jpg

This may not be the best interpretation of the Frisco 1522, but it seems to be the one of the few I've seen built out of Lego. (this loco is the only other 1522 I've found and it really blows mine away. ) The model you see here has been my dream ever since I was 5 or six years old and rode behind the steamer on one of it's last public trips. (I don't remember much of the trip, but I do remember the sense of awe and respect for the power of steam after seeing the loco pull past us on it's journey back to the museum and into what looks to be permanent retirement.)

37334524804_e97b234cab_z.jpg

The cab walls on both model and real engine have the name of the railroad (Frisco) on it's side, while the number of the loco (1522) goes on the tender sides. The way to do this is using printed 1 x 1 tiles.

37941328402_7beb1cab2c_z.jpg

The real engine is publicly displayed at the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis, Missouri. The Lego model of the loco is sitting on the front of the loco, just above the cowcatcher.

Here is the most recent LDD file for the engine and tender.

NOTES:

36692258613_e60f191d7f_z.jpg

Hopefully next year the Frisco 1522 and Milwaukee Road Bi-Polar will be built in real bricks, ready to be displayed beside the Southern Pacific 4460 and the GM Aerotrain that I already own.

Please, if you have any complaints, praise, questions, or anything like that, please post it below. Feedback is always welcome, and I would like some advice on things I could improve on.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT 9/28/17: Updated ldd file and added new pictures. The device in between the two domes (I forgot it's technical name, "feed water heater" maybe?) is now more like the real engine, with two cylinders instead of none like I had before. This engine should be built by early next year.

EDIT 10/6/17: the parts for the Frisco 4-8-2 steam loco + '57 Plymouth Fury parts are finally here!

36866784473_16d52882f3.jpg

NOTE: Two tender wheels and all the letters / numbers are not here because I need to place that order separately later on by myself. So it's really not all here, but it's about 99% arrived.

EDIT 19/29/18:

37245137834_db8d2f54a5_z.jpg

Here we can see my newest brick-built model, Frisco 1522 (4-8-2 "Mountain" type) meeting my long-built Southern Pacific 4460 (4-8-4 "Northern" type).

43259319475_c1e6490899_z.jpg

Above you can see it next to my other already-built Museum of Transportation models.

31122681658_1646578dae_z.jpg

Ever since I went on the last Kirkwood to Hannibal trip behind the Frisco 1522 in early 2002 at age 8, I've wanted to own a model of the famous burly Baldwin. I've tried many times over the last 16 years (mostly in the last 8) to recreate her, until finally getting it right in late 2017, in LEGO 6-stud-wide format.

Then, the museum in which the engine resides opened up the cab for the 16th anniversary of the last ride on the 22nd of September of 2018 (they had never opened up the cab to the public before then and may never again). I tried to get in, but didn't due to unforeseen complications. That is, until a helpful employee let me into the cab to take a couple pictures with me and my model this Saturday, the 29th.

All I have to say is, thank you to Sam, who helped me out to get the above photo of me and my model in the cab of the Frisco 1522.

44968174142_d02ebe6610_z.jpg

Here is a closeup of my LEGO model of the 4-8-2 steam engine in the real-world Frisco 1522's cab it is modeled after. I believe the model is sitting on the diesel link-up computer that allows for the steam loco's engineer to simultaneously control the following diesel locomotive that provides electricity to the train and emergency motive power in case of steam breakdown.

Any thoughts, comments, complaints, or suggestions are always welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

I love it! I can't wait to actually build this one and add a '1501' sticker, since it's in my hometown. The headlight may need some work, and the firebox will need a lot more detailing, but I love it! Thanks for sharing!

Edited by legonerd54321

So before I build this myself, I decided to add and change some things to your model. I didn't want to make an entire post because it's your model and they're small changes.

JAcT70h.png

So before I build this myself, I decided to add and change some things to your model. I didn't want to make an entire post because it's your model and they're small changes.

++SNIP++

That looks very awesome! I hope you post your model when you build it in real bricks, as I would love to see it!

Sorry for the almost year-long bump, but the model was relocated and modified as inspired by @legonerd54321's mods of my model. The engine will be built IRL along with the Bi-polar electric loco from the same railroad museum.... just got to get some other, more time-sensitive things done first!

35631744285_31ee5e9546_z.jpg

Any thoughts?

EDIT 9/28/17:

36662641854_d3e3fb65f9_z.jpg

The device in between the two domes (I forgot it's technical name, "feed water heater" maybe?) is now more like the real engine, with two cylinders instead of none like I had before. (This engine should be built in real bricks by early next year.)

Enjoy  the updated ldd file and added new pictures!

Edited by Murdoch17

Small update: the Frisco 4-8-2 steam loco + '57 Plymouth Fury parts are finally here!

36866784473_16d52882f3_z.jpg

I have just received the last parts for the Frisco 1522 / Plymouth Fury... now I just need to wait nearly a month before I can build it.

NOTE: Two tender wheels and all the letters / numbers are not here because I need to place that order separately later on by myself. So it's really not all here, but it's about 99% arrived.

Edited by Murdoch17

37245137834_db8d2f54a5_z.jpg

Here we can see my newest brick-built model, Frisco 1522 (4-8-2 "Mountain" type) meeting my long-built Southern Pacific 4460 (4-8-4 "Northern" type). Why were they packed up like so, you ask?

37941328402_7beb1cab2c_z.jpg

So I could take them to the Museum of Transportation to photograph them! Here we see the Frisco 1522 on the real mountain type....

37261951014_012a9b5e01_z.jpg

...and the southern Pacific 4460 on the bigger GS-6 Daylight!

More close-up pictures of the 1522 model coming this weekend!

24191315708_fa33d8cb8c_z.jpg

UPDATE: Real life pictures added! Above you can see it next to my other already-built Museum of Transportation models.

Sorry for the one-year bump, but yesterday I got the chance to live one of my dreams regarding the real-world 1522 and my LEGO model, and I thought I would share it with you.

31122681658_1646578dae_z.jpg

Ever since I went on the last Kirkwood to Hannibal trip behind the Frisco 1522 in early 2002 at age 8, I've wanted to own a model of the famous burly Baldwin. I've tried many times over the last 16 years (mostly in the last 8) to recreate her, until finally getting it right in late 2017, in LEGO 6-stud-wide format.

Then, the museum in which the engine resides opened up the cab for the 16th anniversary of the last ride on the 22nd of September of 2018 (they had never opened up the cab to the public before then and may never again). I tried to get in, but didn't due to unforeseen complications. That is, until a helpful employee let me into the cab to take a couple pictures with me and my model this Saturday, the 29th.

All I have to say is, thank you to Sam, who helped me out to get the above photo of me and my model in the cab of the Frisco 1522.

44968174142_d02ebe6610_z.jpg

Here is a closeup of my LEGO model of the 4-8-2 steam engine in the real-world Frisco 1522's cab it is modeled after. I believe the model is sitting on the diesel link-up computer that allows for the steam loco's engineer to simultaneously control the following diesel locomotive that provides electricity to the train and emergency motive power in case of steam breakdown.

Edited by Murdoch17

I gotta say I'm jealous of your proximity to these trains but I absolute love the fact you can photograph these with their prototypes  congrats on fulfilling your dream great job on the build.   You should talk the museum into a Lego museum display of their trains!