MagPiesRUs

PC Game - Empire: Total War

Stop with the awesome pics Cap'n Blackmoore :pir_bawling: Your teasing me I dont think they have it on mac :pir-cry_sad: (Do they?)

I don't think they do unfortunately for you. You couldl always run it off a Mac using Bootcamp. Also I have ordered the special forces edition off Amazon. I can't wait to play it when it arrives.

Why don't you just use BootCamp on your Mac? It is what I'm doing...though the 8800GT is struggling with the 2560x1600 30" screen resolution.
I don't think they do unfortunately for you. You couldl always run it off a Mac using Bootcamp. Also I have ordered the special forces edition off Amazon. I can't wait to play it when it arrives.

Really? Could anyone tell me how to use Bootcamp and how to install the game please! :pir-sing: I really want this game. :pir-cry_sad:

Blooody... :pir-skull:

You just slaughtered them! The river looks very realistic.

I've heard you can run the enemy into the river so they drown... :pir_laugh2:

Really? Could anyone tell me how to use Bootcamp and how to install the game please! :pir-sing: I really want this game. :pir-cry_sad:

I don't know because I don't have a mac but I have quite a few friends who have boot camp running on their macs. I don't know if you can run all windows programs though. Here's a tutorial on how to install it though.

Back on topic your battle looked mighty fine Imperial Scouts.

I bought Empire Total War a few weeks ago and I'm loving it. I've just finished a very fun campaign as France, I love the new trade, government and diplomacy systems. And of course the real-time battles are fantastic. Unfortunately I have to play it on low graphics to keep it from lagging, but I'm happy with how these screenshots have turned out:

British line infantry march while under artillery fire:

Bombardment-4.jpg

Ottoman cavalry make an audacious charge on a French square:

FrenchSquare-1.jpg

Chaos ensues:

FrenchSquare-4b.jpg

A Dutch fluyt manages to hit the gunpowder store on a pirate ship, resulting in a magnificent explosion:

PirateShipBoom.jpg

Prussian soldiers bayonet charge their Swedish foes:

PrussianInfantry-4.jpg

More pics here.

You have some awesome pictures there!

I see you really enjoy the game, just like me.

I'll post some new screenshots soon as well!

Here they are!

3444351602_f6bc170fa0_o.jpg

No mercy for the British, dismasted vessel this time! He has no chance to flee anymore! :pir-skull:

3443534971_76d4795ec3_o.jpg

A pirate galleon explodes! I've never seen an explosion on a large ship before. :pir-oh3:

3443535125_e841f65b7f_o.jpg

The last French first rate is finally sinking... :pir-classic:

3443534715_e909517746_o.jpg

The admiral has a nice view here, notice the exploding British brig at the background. :pir-skull:

3443534815_901af28a07_o.jpg

The Mahjarat Confederacy has stolen a 6th rate ship from me, now I meet it at sea again. Better to sink the vessel instead of giving it to the Mahjarat Confederacy!

More at Flickr

I see TinyPiesRus is more a land based battle guy, I don't know why I fight so much at sea instead of land...

Edited by Cap'n Blackmoor

This game does look fun. Is it a real time strategy game?

It IS a funny game! And yes, it is a RTS indeed.

Anyone like playing Civilization III? In particular, the Napoleonic Conquests?

I haven't the Civilization series but they look funny to me. I've always considered to buy a Civilization game or not.

If I ever get the game, im going to play LOTS of land battles :pir-blush:

Sure do, only make sure you won't get HOAXED by the enemy troops hiding themself in the bushes...

-They tried that on me, but I've found 'em! :pir-devil:

I'm really salivating over the thought of fighting these new battles.

But my PC's still not able to take this beautiful game. I guess I'll just have to wait til I can gather up enough moolah for both an upgrade and for the game. :pir_bawling:

Is anyone here a "veteran" of the Total War games? I do know that the tactics for this are new, but, how far is it from Medieval from the tactical and strategy standpoint?

Well, I got Rome Total War as well, Medieval Total War was a too heavy game for me at that time.

I think the big difference is the fact the soldiers kill eachother from a distance, you can switch to melee mode of course but there's more shooting in the game then actual hand to hand combat.

A big difference is also the siege battles, you haven't onagers and rams anymore to demolish a wall, only cannons and men with ropes to climb the walls.

I only don't like the fact that if you attack a city, the fight will be around the fort, far from the city itself. At least I haven't seen a city (only small towns and villages) on the battlefield.

I have no doubts about it you will find out this game is fantastic and epic to play.

Firstly, you need to tell us what kind of Mac you're running. BootCamp will only work on an Intel model (ie: 2006 onwards), so if you're on a PowerPC machine you're out of luck (PPC machines are the G5/G4/G3 series).

If you do have an Intel machine, great! Next you'll need a copy of Windows (Either XP, Vista or Windows7 Beta).

Now run Boot Camp Assistant. (I'm on Leopard by the way) It is located in Applications\Utilities\

picture1jpg.png

Follow the on screen instructions - you might find it useful to print the setup guide! You'll first need to create a partition for Windows to be installed on (in other words, split your hard drive into two pieces for each OS).

picture2afh.png

Once this has all worked, you simply install Windows as you would on a PC. You'll have two hard drives on your desktop from now on. To boot into Windows you simply restart and hold down Option/ALT as you do so.

picture2rpf.png

I'm really salivating over the thought of fighting these new battles.

But my PC's still not able to take this beautiful game. I guess I'll just have to wait til I can gather up enough moolah for both an upgrade and for the game. :pir_bawling:

Is anyone here a "veteran" of the Total War games? I do know that the tactics for this are new, but, how far is it from Medieval from the tactical and strategy standpoint?

I've got Medieval and Rome, and Empire is very much a new beast.

The biggest changes are made on the strategy map - you no longer have to place a governor in each town to control its construction/tax, and you only use the characters as Generals, Admirals, Rakes, Gentlemen etc. This means you no longer end up having somebody die at a really inconvenient time and totally mess up your war plans. In addition to this, the map is now worldwide, with Europe, India and North America (plus the top of South America) as the areas to fight over. There's also four trade theatres, that simply serve to generate trade routes and income - you can't fight land battles on these, only sea.

Beyond that, it is pretty similar. Conquer territories, hold the towns/cities and expand them with factories/barracks/fortifications and so on.

The tactical side reflects the history of the time - Empire is very much a "stand back and shoot" approach, with short melee sequences right at the end, unless cavalry have gotten involved. The cannons are much better than previous games, although still poor shots I might add, and still slow to move. The fact that everybody has a gun (basically) does put you on a level field, but some guns have a longer range (Riflemen are fantastic might I add).

My favourite tactic at the moment is to place four puckle guns on my front line and let the enemy close. The puckle guns then absolutely murder their troops and they route before they can close the distance - a few battalions of line infantry provide some firepower too. Rifemen on the flanks harass from a distance and then a couple or three cavalry units serve to finish off the fleeing soldiers.]

Edited by cei

Well, I got Rome Total War as well, Medieval Total War was a too heavy game for me at that time.

I think the big difference is the fact the soldiers kill eachother from a distance, you can switch to melee mode of course but there's more shooting in the game then actual hand to hand combat.

A big difference is also the siege battles, you haven't onagers and rams anymore to demolish a wall, only cannons and men with ropes to climb the walls.

I only don't like the fact that if you attack a city, the fight will be around the fort, far from the city itself. At least I haven't seen a city (only small towns and villages) on the battlefield.

I have no doubts about it you will find out this game is fantastic and epic to play.

I medieval II you could get cannons and with the kingdoms expansion you could play as the Spanish where you could get musketeers.

True, but that's around 1500. There is not really a 'border' between medieval ages and the age of sail. But it's somewhere there in 1500.

Remember the Spanish still had an armour and melee weapons when they attacked the Aztecs in America. Their firepower was minimum and not really often used. But after that the use of firepower became more and more.

After 1700 (where Empire starts) only firepower counts... :pir-skull:

Firstly, you need to tell us what kind of Mac you're running. BootCamp will only work on an Intel model (ie: 2006 onwards), so if you're on a PowerPC machine you're out of luck (PPC machines are the G5/G4/G3 series).

I got the mac osx I think its leopard but how much does Boot camp cost? Also how much does the windows copys cost?

Edited by General Armendariz

I got the mac osx I think its leopard but how much does Boot camp cost? Also how much does the windows copys cost?

Boot Camp seems to be included on your Mac. At least it is on mine. Here are the prices for Windows Vista. I'm thinking of getting Vista just so I can buy all these cool games! :pir-tongue:

Boot Camp seems to be included on your Mac. At least it is on mine. Here are the prices for Windows Vista. I'm thinking of getting Vista just so I can buy all these cool games! :pir-tongue:

Wow, I have it too. Thanks hound knight. :pir-sweet: And every one else who helped :pir-blush:

Wow, I have it too. Thanks hound knight. :pir-sweet: And every one else who helped :pir-blush:

You're welcome! :pir-sweet: You'll also need an extra hard drive to back up your files with Time Machine.

I just downloaded the demo for Empire: Total War, I was terrible. I sent out the light infantry and they were all killed. I then sent out the hussars and light dragoons to meet an almost complete defeat. I then sent out more infantry and they retreated. Only 5 survived.

Awww... :pir_bawling:

I must admit I play France, England, Spain and The Netherlands the most, since they have fleets to fight with.

The naval battles are much more intense then land battles, land battles are great though but I'd prefer to fight at sea.

That's also because I know about official naval tactics, and I lack land battle tactics. :pir-tongue:

I must also admit the demo battles are hard to do for the one who plays it for the first time. I lost both of 'em! :pir_laugh2:

I played the demo battle again. I had two infantry divisions sneak up on the americans left flank and commanded a hand to hand combat battle. I have 120 losses and the americans had 189 losses. I finally won a battle!

Congrats! It's one of the hardest battles I've had in my ETW career. :pir-tongue:

I've found such an amazing video on youtube!

Enjoy!