MagPiesRUs

PC Game - Empire: Total War

Demo:

Empire Total War Demo

I think this game will be great for a pirate/imperial fan. Having played the previous games from Total War, this is sure to be good. It is a turn based game with RTS battles, and is set in Europe, the Americas, India and Africa from around the late 17th Century to the early 19th Century. The battles involve thousands of soldiers, and you can use all sorts of tactics to defeat the enemy army. You can make different formations, such as the square to repel cavalry, a column to move in better order and the line, to give a great volley.

You can have large sea battles, choose which cannon shot to fire, choose where to aim your cannons at (masts, hull, deck...), try to board the other ships, etc. Your ships are affected by the direction of the wind, the tides from the sea, the different weathers..

It sounds very nice to me, more detailed than Pirates of the Burning Sea in my opinion. The downside is that it has very good graphics, and I assume most of us wil need to buy a better computer to run it.

Official Website

Here are some pics:

ship_at_sunset_med.jpg

ETW_ANNOUNCE_03NEW.jpg

empire-total-war-20080820040350993_640w.jpg

Empire_Christmas2007_small.jpg

Videos

Trailer

Naval Battles

Land Battles

The Campaign Map

The Road to Independance Campaign

Multiplayer

Minimum specs:

2.4Ghz single core processor

256MB Gfx card (DX9 compaitble)

1GB RAM (For XP, 2GB if using Vista)

Here is the website

Here are FAQs 1, 2 and 3

Sorry if this sounds a little too much like advertising, but I think this will be great for us pirate-fans when it comes out.

I want to say this game looks really cool...

I really want to say this is great because I'm a fan of strategy games, the Total War series and ofcourse anything involving European colonialism.

I really really want to say I want a copy now...

So why am I not saying it's cool to have yet another game that's up our collective street? Because it's yet something else I'll have to bloody well budget for! |-/

Edited by Col. Whipstick

Just wait 6 months till it goes on the budget shelf for a fifth of the original price...

I still haven't got a copy of AOE 3 and it's over 2 years old! Never played Civ 4 yet or Sid Meier's Pirates etc. So many great games but they are all very time demanding nowadays, the price or system requirements aside. I have played Shogun Total War and Medieval Total War a fair bit and those were great fun so this does indeed look fantastic. One of the real pluses of the Total War series is that unlike strategy games such as AOE here one will be able to command a full battlefield of up to 10 000 troops. Talk about recreating your Waterloo!

This game looks mighty fine. X-O Great find!

What strikes me though, is the name. It's called Empire: Total War, and yet it is only about ship battles?

The graphics do look wonderful. I should try to get one of these.

This game looks mighty fine. X-O Great find!

What strikes me though, is the name. It's called Empire: Total War, and yet it is only about ship battles?

The graphics do look wonderful. I should try to get one of these.

No, you mostly do fighting on land. I think they've only got pics of naval battles is because it's the first game in the Total War series that will have proper naval battles. The land battles sound very good. You can form many formations, choose to bayonet charge, fire your cannons (which send soldiers flying into the air with ragdoll physics), there are drummers, flutists (sp?), bagpipers (sp?) who make music for your marching troops etc.

Also, in case I didn't make it clear in the first post, it's a turn based campaign game, where you build up your cities, train your armies, train agents (such as spies, assassins, diplomats, merchants, priests), conquer enemy settlements, much like Risk or the Civilisation games, really.

It comes out around October 2008, but if you can't wait that long, you can get Medieval 2: Total War. One of the campaigns you can choose is about the Spanish arrival in the Americas, so I suppose that fits into the Pirate Lego theme :-)

Well, that's enough rambling for me :-D

No, you mostly do fighting on land. I think they've only got pics of naval battles is because it's the first game in the Total War series that will have proper naval battles. The land battles sound very good. You can form many formations, choose to bayonet charge, fire your cannons (which send soldiers flying into the air with ragdoll physics), there are drummers, flutists (sp?), bagpipers (sp?) who make music for your marching troops etc.

Also, in case I didn't make it clear in the first post, it's a turn based campaign game, where you build up your cities, train your armies, train agents (such as spies, assassins, diplomats, merchants, priests), conquer enemy settlements, much like Risk or the Civilisation games, really.

It comes out around October 2008.... *snip*

Considering the great graphics and all those options I think it's well worth the waiting! 8-

Now I still don't know, can you play this game online?

Yes, but I think it's only the battles. In the last Total War game you could play a multiplayer campaign as long as you used the same computer though.

Deeply sorry for the triple post, but I've got quite a bit of new news about Empire Total War.

A Teaser Trailer has been released, and can be viewed here

Also, a Developer Diary on Dueling in Empire: Total War has been released, and can be viewed here

This game looks stunning, but I'm not sure if my computer agrees with me. There was lagging in watching the teaser, let alone in the actual game. Dueling looks very promising too, it looks like this game has all the components of a great 18th-19th Century Pirate game.

Also, the first land combat pictures have surfaced:

2-1.jpg

1-1.jpg

Enjoy! :pir-wink:

The total war games are usually very good I have all of them. This is a pretty good idea and game by the looks of it I will definitely get it.

It will probably be about the same as medieval total war 2 minimum requirements which are...

English version of Microsoft® Windows® 2000/XP.

Celeron 1.8GHz Pentium 4® (1500MHz) or equivalent AMD® processor.

512MB RAM.

8x Speed DVD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers.

11.0 Gigs of uncompressed free hard disk space.

100% DirectX® 9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers.

100% Windows® 2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers.

DirectX® 9.0c.

128MB Hardware Accelerated video card with Shader 1 support and the latest drivers.

Must be 100% DirectX® 9.0c compatible.

Monitor must be able to display 1024x768 resolution or above

I think I will buy the game !

It looks realistic, and you can command entire armies like in the Cossacks series, but with super-graphics then.

My last Napoleonic game bought, was Imperial Glory

The Imperial Glory thread

I like this little java-game too...

Waterloo Javagame

PS: The napoleonic Guide is a TOP-WEBSITE, I'm visiting it for years now, and I still like it !

That looks like an awesome game! :thumbup:

Does anybody know the minimum system requirements?

Can't seem to find them anywhere...

I don't think it's been announced yet, but in an interview, this was said:

Strategy Informer: A lot of people will be interested to know what computer specs they'll need to run ETW in average and full graphical setting?

Creative Assembly: We will be announcing the minimum specs at a later date, once the engine has been fully optimized. I can confirm that Empire: Total War is DX9 compatible and has been designed to run on a variety of machines.

The demo has been released, featuring The Battle of Brandywine Creek, a land battle fought between the British and the Americans, and the Battle of Lagos, a naval battle fought between the British and the French. The demo can be found here, though you'll need to download Steam first.

Also there are a few more videos:

The Campaign Map

The Road to Independance Campaign

Multiplayer

Minimum specs:

2.4Ghz single core processor

256MB Gfx card (DX9 compaitble)

1GB RAM (For XP, 2GB if using Vista)

Enjoy! :pir-grin:

Wow Ive been waiting for this game for about a year now. For this last month I have been checking out their site for the demo. It is finally here. :pir-cry_happy:

I've just finished the demo, and I can't wait.

My only comment so far is that the AI of ships can be a tad silly. Instead of passing a ship on the opposite tack, your ships will try and "chase" enemies, rather than get a good broadside in. Manual control it is!

I've just played the demo too.. The naval battle was pretty awesome. As I have always been a fan of the total war series, I will be getting ETW, but having proper naval battles this time round is so exciting. Haha. :pir-blush:

Damn, my video card only has 128Mb of memory. I think I'll go for an upgrade so I can try this game. It looks very promising!

I've downloaded the demo and played it, both the land battles and sea battles have excellent graphics and gameplay. The sea battles are a bit difficult because you have to keep a sharp eye on every ship. The land battle was just like the previous total war games, but with better graphics.

You can even destroy a house with your cannons while the enemy tries to hide in it. :pir-skull:

Looking forward to buy it! Only 2 days left! :pir-blush: