jjr_2009

Fun in the Park - Could it be the beginning of something new?

I have not bought the set yet due to budgetary reasons, but I plan to soon. Could anyone else see TLG revisiting this concept in the near future? I for one would love to see a winter-themed minifigure set!

So, it is just a "Fun in the Skating Park" set and not a Sports theme?

I would love to see that happen.

I think Fun in the Park was the most useful set for our town ever. We bought two.

And that winter themed set sounds perfect as well.

Wishful thinking, probably. We'll have to twist TLG's arm.

O great, now I want this! :hmpf_bad:

The best way to ensure we as AFOLs get more cool sets like this is to buy the Fun in the Park set and make it a hot seller for TLG so they see the demand is there and make more of the same.

I for one intend to buy a copy as soon as I can afford one (either from Shop @ Home as part of my next order or from local retail if/when it shows up here in Australia)

It could be successful, especially if they continue to introduce new prints and other concepts in new sets. Simply mixing minifig parts around would not work well, so they have to be creative in future sets. I think the wheelchair, baby, and new prints really helped to sell this one.

Interesting topic, jjr_2009!

Because of the huge success of Fun in the Park I could well imagine that TLG is going to release more minifigure packs of this sort in the future. But with a minimum distance of two, rather three years. A winter themed as well as a summer themed one would really be welcome!

Very very near future if that rumor in the Special Themes area is true.

I think that the rumored sports theme won't be part of the City theme but be a seperate theme similar to Speed Champions. So I even don't see a minifigures pack inside that new theme. But seperate sets with minifigs, vehicles, equipments and locations.

Klaus-Dieter

I agree that the baby and wheelchair pieces were the main reason this set was so popular with collectors. Any similar sets in future would therefore need to include parts that would be just as attractive. I did suggest an annual zoo set instead, which could include a couple of new animal moulds (and possibly an existing mould like ostrich, camel, penguins) plus new torso prints for the visitors.

Edited by lifeinplastic

For a "fun at the beach" set they could make a new mold for a bodyboard. And maybe also a small spade to go with the bucket mold to make a bucket-and-spade for the kids to play with. Plenty of scope for awesome new prints and minifigs in such a set too (bathers, bikinis, boardshorts, Hawaiian Shirts, beach umbrella, new lifeguard printing, new surfboard printing, new print heads with sunglasses and more). And for builds you could have a lifeguard chair (with equipment including a red suitcase with "first aid kit" printing and that float piece from the CMF line) and an ice-cream cart (since ice-cream and a day at the beach go together so well). Plus kids building a sandcastle.

So much possibility for an awesome set (although I guess the question is whether kids in many parts of Europe or North America would be able to identify with such a set since they probably haven't seen a proper beach outside of TV shows like Baywatch)

I live in a coastal town, so I love that idea! I don't think new molds are a necessity--new prints and new recolours are though. I would just be happy to see the line continue to feature parts of city life that don't involve fires or crime. :)

I would just be happy to see the line continue to feature parts of city life that don't involve fires or crime. :)

That is a very profound remark! :classic: Of course sets with a built-in conflict or danger have it easier to excite than "boring" city life. At the same time, however, it is that city life, which defines the identity of Lego for a lot of people.

Such a lovely set like Fun in the Park is a much more open set, because it gives so many opportunities to tell a story. I very much enjoy the variety of Minifigs available today. You don't really have to have two of the same anymore. Everyone can be an individual. That offers so much play value and possibilities for identification!

I could picture LEGO releasing a "Fun at the Zoo" set and only include a few small animals. Just like how the 'park' only includes two tiny trees. :grin:

What rumor where? Like what thread?

There was a rumour about a potential sports theme for next year--not sure how much was true and how much was just speculation.

Also, I have been waiting for a Lego zoo since I was a child. I would pay good money for one if they did it right.