Sven J

MOC: 1/33 Swedish 0-8-2T with three (!) working cylinders

But unfortunately, even BBB XL drivers are too small to build it in 1/33 scale.

..That's the question.., also in 1:38 there are too many lokos which are impossible to model cause the wheel diameter. Have you see the new wheels of "bricksonwheels" for his BigBoy?

perhaps with a sufficient demand jaaptechnic would release theese large wheels, his site leave us a hope.

http://www.jaaptechn...-3d-design.html

As regard the Bulgarische br46 I've studied the problem quite in depth and it is very difficult to solve it, at least without your LGB tracks or ME 104.

It was not only the most massive lokotender ever built but, also the only one to use 9 axles! so, given the wheel diameter (BBB XL), there are no ways to negotiate nor 56 or 72 studs curves, not to speak about switches. Perhaps we can think about it as exposition only model, but it would be a pity..

The Eisenerz Obb Br97.4 is the world largest rank loko and deserves some attention in realizing a working rank mechanism..

gruss

Sergio

Edited by monai

Thanks for pointing me to Jaap’s website, Sergio! I’ll keep an eye on that.

(Sorry if the following is going to be a bit off-topic)

On 25.7.2016 at 5:02 PM, monai said:

As regard the Bulgarische br46 I've studied the problem quite in depth and it is very difficult to solve it, at least without your LGB tracks or ME 104.

Well, it might be possible to do in 1/33 scale on LGB track. According to my records, the prototype’s rigid wheelbase (2nd to 5th coupled axle) is 4800mm (first series) or 4650mm (second series with 3-cylinder engine), which in any case would be quite close to 18 studs in 1/33. My M3a has 18 studs rigid wheelbase, so a BDŽ 46 with blind 1st, 3rd, 4th and 6th sets of drivers should be ok.

But then again, BBB XL wheels are too small (prototype: 1340mm wheel diameter; BBB XL: 36,8mm; 36,8 mm x 33 = 1214,4mm). A deviation up to 85mm would be tolerable (you can always claim that the engine’s tires are worn down…), but 125mm - that’s too much.

Maybe one should learn to create CAD files for 3D printing...

On 25.7.2016 at 5:02 PM, monai said:

The Eisenerz Obb Br97.4 is the world largest rank loko and deserves some attention in realizing a working rank mechanism..

Oh yes, that would be a real challenge. But, to be honest, I profoundly dislike this particular prototype (without being able to give a reason, I admit) – so I gladly leave this task to you… :wink:

Edited by Tenderlok
restored emoticon

But then again, BBB XL wheels are too small (prototype: 1340mm wheel diameter; BBB XL: 36,8mm; 36,8 mm x 33 = 1214,4mm). A deviation up to 85mm would be tolerable (you can always claim that the engine’s tires are worn down…), but 125mm - that’s too much.

Maybe one should learn to create CAD files for 3D printing...

in Lego scale (1:38) BBB XL are just perfect but the problem are the tracks and, above all, switches! ME 104 or similar should work but for the points? there are some home made examples but it turns to be too cumbersome.. you also have to take into account the first Bissel and the 2 axles below the coal reservoir which are swinging..

honestly 97.4 is not very "elegant", it is challenging. What I dream of now is the austrian K.k.St.B. 100.01, simply wonderful also if it is not a lokotender, .. time, money.. we'll see.

Edited by monai

(drools over keyboard) This is awesome! :thumbup:

Not only outstanding looks (and I love those colours), but a third cylinder as well.

I immediately recognized this as something Swedish, although I'm not too familiar with those locomotives.

It's a pity that Swedish engines are widely ignored by modellers, there are so many handsome locomotives up there...

I want to build a Dutch steam engine some day. One of the prototypes that came to mind is the NS 4700 class, which was bought directly from Nohab during WW2. Problem so far is the colour scheme since there are not many parts available in Dark Green. The ducts for example were dark green, but those aren't available (yet).

Thanks a lot, Rijkjavik and Steph 104th !

I want to build a Dutch steam engine some day. One of the prototypes that came to mind is the NS 4700 class, which was bought directly from Nohab during WW2. Problem so far is the colour scheme since there are not many parts available in Dark Green. The ducts for example were dark green, but those aren't available (yet).

I’m not quite sure what you mean by „ducts“. To judge from these pictures, it seems to me that it should be possible to model with LEGO, perhaps even in "normal" green?

Or, as the NS class 4700 was actually a clone of the Swedish M3b, I suggest you build it in black and blue… :wink:

What I dream of now is the austrian K.k.St.B. 100.01, simply wonderful also if it is not a lokotender, .. time, money.. we'll see.

That’s a splendid prototype! I’m looking forward to your model!

Probably you know it already; but if you’re looking for detailed drawings and background information on all these twelve-coupled engines, I highly recommend this book (unfortunately, to my knowledge it’s only available second-hand and in German language).

As for the BDŽ 46, I put it on my list - maybe some day it will materialize, depending on the wheel question...

Edited by Tenderlok

I’m not quite sure what you mean by „ducts“.

I mean the hoses at the boiler, but also all handrails, bars et cetera. Perhaps I could do them in black as well, but I want my model as close to the original as possible. I rather skip a model than substutute colours. :classic:

How long does it take for you to design and build a model like this?

That’s a splendid prototype! I’m looking forward to your model!

Probably you know it already; but if you’re looking for detailed drawings and background information on all these twelve-coupled engines, I highly recommend this book (unfortunately, to my knowledge it’s only available second-hand and in German language).

As for the BDŽ 46, I put it on my list - maybe some day it will materialize, depending on the wheel question...

Many thanks, I have it, "und Ich spreche ein wenig Deutsch, aber hier man sprecht English". What about the Stalin loko with 7 axles? :devil:

There is a very interesting site (unfortunately only in Italian) with a lot of news , photos and drawings about lokos of many countries

www.marklinfan.net

it deserves a visit.

Edited by monai

That is one of the most beautiful MOCs I have ever seen! The colour scheme, running gear, third piston mechanism, even the stickers are outstanding. I did black and dark blue on a tank engine once ( 0-4-0 Saddle tank) but it is an order of magnitude simpler :) You have an eye for detail, an artist's touch and amazing building skills all together. I can't wait to see what you come up with next. Thanks for sharing your incredible work.

Another beauty!

I see what you say about the height of the windows, but with this solution they don't look square...

I assume the receiver can't handle 2 L-motors on a single output? This solution doesn't look the most reliable... Would you have room for a diff between the motors in case they end up trying to run at different speeds? Another solution would be sBrick to make sure both motors are always set to the same speed and direction.

Those skateboards are a great idea but I also like the rubber band around the dish on the front of the boiler; nice detail!

Many thanks for your compliments, Dread Pirate Rob and Duq !

On 27.7.2016 at 1:14 PM, Rijkjavik said:

I mean the hoses at the boiler, but also all handrails, bars et cetera. Perhaps I could do them in black as well, but I want my model as close to the original as possible. I rather skip a model than substutute colours. :classic:

How long does it take for you to design and build a model like this?

It seems that someone else didn’t care that much… In my opinion, it looks even better with black hoses and handrails.

Typically, designing takes about 4-6 weeks from first prototype research to the completed LDD model. Construction time varies a lot, depending on how difficult it is to acquire all the parts.

All in all, to finish my M3a took quite exactly 4 months.

On 27.7.2016 at 6:00 PM, Dread Pirate Rob said:

I did black and dark blue on a tank engine once (https://www.flickr.c.../in/dateposted/) but it is an order of magnitude simpler :)

I’m amazed that you managed to get all electronics into that tiny tank engine – even lights! But what struck me most when browsing through your flickr images was the PF turntable. Great!

On 27.7.2016 at 8:21 PM, Duq said:

I see what you say about the height of the windows, but with this solution they don't look square...

I assume the receiver can't handle 2 L-motors on a single output? This solution doesn't look the most reliable... Would you have room for a diff between the motors in case they end up trying to run at different speeds? Another solution would be sBrick to make sure both motors are always set to the same speed and direction.

You’re absolutely right with regard to the windows. But from all different versions I had been tinkering with, this was the least evil; especially as you hardly notice the windows’ irregular shape except when looking directly from one side. Apart from that, using 2x2 window frames would have made it impossible to model the windshield glasses, which I wanted to have by all means.

And yes, 2 L-motors on one receiver output wouldn’t run at full power. Actually, the motors do try to run at different speeds sometimes, but up to now, this hasn’t been a problem (with some variations, I use this basic layout for all my PF locomotives, and none of them has sufficient space for a diff without compromising the detailing and/or stability). Anyway, the sticker on the remote control permanently reminds to keep an eye on that, and to manually re-adjust the speed of one motor, if necessary (you can hear when the motors are not running in sync).

And I have a whole bunch of motors in reserve… :wink:

When starting the whole project, I actually thought about using SBrick. But being a bit old-fashioned in some respect, I don’t own a smartphone and am somewhat unwilling to buy one… Besides, that BuWizz thing seems to be even more promising.

On 27.7.2016 at 3:18 PM, monai said:

What about the Stalin loko with 7 axles? :devil:

Don’t tempt me, Sergio… :wink:

And thanks for the link!

Edited by Tenderlok
restored emoticons

Hello Sven. You've created another superb MOC. My compliments!

If you are considering another project, I wonder if I could suggest that you take a look across the sea to create a classic medium-size American locomotive, like a Northern 4-8-4 or a Mikado 2-8-2 -- especially if it had sophisticated valve gear like you have used on your other projects.

As you must have noticed, there is a real drought of AFOLs who create ultra-realistic steam locomotives -- and are also willing to share their designs with others. For those of us who enjoy the challenge of building, but have no talent for design (like me), you would be doing all of us a great service.

All the best,

Harlan

Edited by Lebo

Thanks for your compliments, Harlan!

I regret to say it, but there is very little chance that there will ever be an American steam engine MOC designed by me, for two reasons. First, I don’t know the prototypes well enough to model them as accurately as I would want to: While owning several hundreds of books, official document copies, and drawings about European locomotives, I have exactly two books about North American ones.

Second, it’s a matter of wheel size again: Even medium-sized American steamers have driving wheels much too large to be represented by BBB XL drivers in 1/33 scale.

But nevertheless, I hope that my models can give you some insight into my design approach, and I would be delighted if they could serve you as an inspiration for your own builds.

Must agree with Zephyr, I do not remember that I have ever seen more beautiful, complex and detailed model. Well, lucky you to have it :wink:

This is so wonderful. Hard to tell which of the pictures is LEGO and which is the prototype. Great!

Hi again. Understood about American locomotives (darn it!). In that case, how about something similar in a European engine, like a BR-23 or something of similar size with a tender?

And as long as I'm making requests, it would be great to see some of your other cars as they come along -- especially freight/industrial versions.

All the best,

Harlan

Thank you very much, bjorkan, Bricksonwheels and Asper !

I feel very happy to receive so many compliments for my MOC.

[...] how about something similar in a European engine, like a BR-23 or something of similar size with a tender?

And as long as I'm making requests, it would be great to see some of your other cars as they come along -- especially freight/industrial versions.

Until I find a way to get significantly larger wheels than BBB XL drivers, I’ll have to stick to designing small-wheeled freight train locomotives. The BR 23, though I admit it's a beautiful engine, has driving wheels with a diameter of 1750mm, so it's absolutely impossible to build a 1/33 MOC of that loco.

As for cars, there’s nothing more to show at the moment. I am thinking of building tank waggons some day to go with my 0-6-0T, but that’s still a long way off.

Edited by Tenderlok

Outstanding work once again. Front page material, imo.

I'm certain it would't fall out of line next to regular scale models, at least from a certain distance. And even up close it's very realistic. I don't think you could get any more realistic while sticking to Lego parts & those custom wheels.

Hi Sven. Looking forward to anything else you do!

One more question: when looking at your LDDs, is there a technical way or a formula I can use to shrink your designs from 1/33 scale down to 1/38? I know I could do it if I had genius or talent, but since I have neither, I was wondering if there was some specific approach I could use.

All the best to you,

Harlan

Many thanks for your appreciation, RogerSmith and Hobbythom !

I don't think you could get any more realistic while sticking to Lego parts & those custom wheels.

Well, I hope that one day I’ll be able to go yet one step further and to create a self-propelled tank engine without all this electronic clutter in the cab…

@Harlan:

As our conversation is running a bit far off the original topic, I wanted to send you a PM to answer your question. But you need to have made 10 posts until you can receive messages.

Edited by Tenderlok

Hi Sven. I'm afraid I don't know enough about conversations via posting to know what "PM" means. Would it be OK with you if we continued this conversation in emails? (I don't know the proprieties of that either). It's hjlebo@gmail.com.

Cheers,

Harlan

Edited by Lebo

Thanks a lot, JLSD!

Bricksafe Folder Update:

For the smokebox of my M3a, I developed an entirely new, slightly oval design (16 plates wide, 17 plates high) using the new 1 x 2 x 1 2/3 Bricks with studs on one side.

As this design might be of some interest for other steam locomotive builders, I uploaded two schematic views to my Bricksafe folder (click on the images below):

200x150.jpg

180x150.jpg

Edited by Tenderlok