ScotNick

Tribute to my childhood - LBSCR E2

Hi everyone!!!

Been some time since I last posted here. Well, I really don't have much time lately so I have a look on the forum from time to time but don't write very often.

So now on to the model and it's creation.

It's really hard to draw the line on where childhood is over, but I've changed in the recent years and so have my models. I really liked Thomas and Friends when I was smaller and still like it, but my approach towards railways and modelling has changed. I worked to make my models more detailed and tried to get the proportions truer to their original. So you have to see the following model not just as one model, but an evolution of models.

Now some info about the model. This model is a model of Thomas the Tank Engine. I know many of you think of a small disproportionate and unrealistic tank engine for children when they hear about Thomas. But instead of modelling my Thomas after the TV series model everyone knows I took a look at the real engine Thomas is based on - an E2 class engine from the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway - and used it as my basis for Thomas. The only thing I added are the splashers (which the real engine didn't have) but apart from that the model is true to it's original.

Before I start to post some pics of the model I want to show you the real engine:

25087098836_7b7ef58944_c.jpg

And here comes my model in the well known livery:

28165874106_7ba569f039_c.jpgLBSCR E2 by ScotNick1, on Flickr

28096264672_437809c44c_c.jpgLBSCR E2 by ScotNick1, on Flickr

28445994806_57a20df23d_c.jpgThomas by ScotNick1, on Flickr

27861913704_b7bd3a23dc_c.jpgThomas by ScotNick1, on Flickr

28373341612_4c2bf3e997_c.jpgThomas by ScotNick1, on Flickr

28195349650_e72cd6218a_c.jpgThomas by ScotNick1, on Flickr

I also made some rolling stock I want to show you

27584562293_a3db567998_c.jpgLBSCR E2 with rolling stock by ScotNick1, on Flickr

Here are the cars alone.

First a British Railways Plank Wagon - in this case not 100% original as I used a 9v motor as a basis. This truck works as the motor wagon.

27856905174_4d7beed37d_c.jpgPlank Wagon - motor wagon by ScotNick1, on Flickr

Loaded with iron nails to increase the traction :)

27856981484_d99a315c05_c.jpgPlank Wagon - motor wagon by ScotNick1, on Flickr

A British Railways 45 Ton Bogie Well Wagon

27856870524_01e6d96dc0_c.jpgBR 45 Ton Bogie Well Wagon by ScotNick1, on Flickr

A British Railways 24 Ton Iron Ore Hopper Wagon

28190365620_96bcefb55a_c.jpgBR 24 Ton Ore Hopper Wagon by ScotNick1, on Flickr

And last a British Railwazs 20 Ton Brake Van

28368606592_1ab35be9d7_c.jpgBR 20 Ton Brake Van by ScotNick1, on Flickr

Before I forget it - that was my first model of Thomas - I didn't want to show it at the beginning so you keep on reading instead closing the thread in disgust and awe :grin:

thomas2.jpg

Thanks for looking, comments and criticism always welcome :sweet:

More pics of the Engine can be found in the album: Flickr Album LBSCR E2 - Thomas the Tank Engine

More pic of the rolling stock can be found here: Flickr Album Revised Rolling Stock

Wow, I love it! Great overall shape, and NPU/technique with the #1, the tender area, and the steps made from the hinge pieces. The motor and well wagons are lovely as well. :sweet:

I thought I heard a 13 long technic beam screaming in pain! (grin... actually, that's a brilliant way of getting a technic half beam longer than 7).

The build is fantastic with all sorts of great details. The blue, yellow and red kick in first and it looks like Thomas... the cartoon Thomas... but in color only. Look closer and indeed, it is a very accurate MOC of a real locomotive. Do you have a CAD rendering of the design in other liveries too? The smokebox door handles are brilliant. I think I see a technic half bushing at the top of the stack but am not sure what the thin disk is below. The pinstriping around the locomotive is insane, or at least you must have gone insane while attempting it, very impressive. And I know it is plain and simple, but I like how the plank wagon turned out (and the load is just icing on the cake). Great work all around.

I like that you made the model more true to a real E2 Class engine. The Reverand Awdry would approve of that!

The Railway Series used a lot of cool prototypes. I once based an early MoC on the narrow gauge Edward Thomas/Peter Sam. One of the few MOCs from my childhood I have kept together!

This is amazing, but the brick built striping also sends it over the top. And that brake van is a stand alone MOC just by itself.

Wow, I love it! Great overall shape, and NPU/technique with the #1, the tender area, and the steps made from the hinge pieces. The motor and well wagons are lovely as well. :sweet:

Gorgeous train!

The steam engine is something special but the cars are the icing on the cake!

Fantastic building technique! :wub:

Beautiful model!

The way you got the stripes and the number 1 on the side is very clever!

Very nice and cheerful locomotive. The cars and the platform is also just fine.

Very very...very beautiful train. Congrats :thumbup:

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, I'm really flattered :blush:

Yes, the number 1 is surely a nice technique, took me about 2 years to get the idea to build it with cheese slopes, haha :laugh:

I thought I heard a 13 long technic beam screaming in pain! (grin... actually, that's a brilliant way of getting a technic half beam longer than 7).

The build is fantastic with all sorts of great details. The blue, yellow and red kick in first and it looks like Thomas... the cartoon Thomas... but in color only. Look closer and indeed, it is a very accurate MOC of a real locomotive. Do you have a CAD rendering of the design in other liveries too? The smokebox door handles are brilliant. I think I see a technic half bushing at the top of the stack but am not sure what the thin disk is below. The pinstriping around the locomotive is insane, or at least you must have gone insane while attempting it, very impressive. And I know it is plain and simple, but I like how the plank wagon turned out (and the load is just icing on the cake). Great work all around.

Haha, some people on other sites actually asked if the 13 long technic half beam was a new standard Lego piece :grin:

I do have an old rendering of the engine in a brown colour scheme, but after looking it up again I think this isn't accurate. It's really hard to find out which livery they really used (other than black which is too "mainstream" for me :tongue: ).

But I found a pic - a previous version which had a much too short smokebox, I hope you fogive me for that :laugh:

15797973296_3daaf3fef8_z.jpgLBSCR E2 by ScotNick1, on Flickr

The smokebox door handles were the last change I did on the model. The half bushing was horrible to get. Only appeared in on set so I payed about Eur 3 for it - but ordered all of the half bushings in black the store had to have some more for future models :wink:

The 'disc' below is the smallest train wheel Lego produces. It would fall off if the model is turned over, but thankfully the half bushing holds it on quite sturdy.

I already went crazy with the stripes on my first model (as you might have seen) but there were still some gaps. Now I really like all those new parts introduced in the recent years, this model wouldn't have been possible without them.

I like that you made the model more true to a real E2 Class engine. The Reverand Awdry would approve of that!

The Railway Series used a lot of cool prototypes. I once based an early MoC on the narrow gauge Edward Thomas/Peter Sam. One of the few MOCs from my childhood I have kept together!

I hope he'd approve, haha :laugh:

And I know what you're talking about - Thomas is one of the first models I (probably) won't change anymore - all my other models have been in constant change which is good if you want to have a perfect model, but you never have any models to show :sceptic:

This is amazing, but the brick built striping also sends it over the top. And that brake van is a stand alone MOC just by itself.

Haha, for the brake van I took some inspiration from other modelers but added my own ideas as well (the small lookout for example - or does this have a special name?)

Cheers, Nick

Very nice. How did you get your 13L half width Technic liftarm beams? I 3D printed some for my PRR FF1 and they don't look as good. :classic:

Oh that brown one is awesome to! You could easily display that and nobody would know it's Thomas in his work clothes!

Ohh, now I forgot to answer the last comments, sorry guys!!!

Very nice. How did you get your 13L half width Technic liftarm beams? I 3D printed some for my PRR FF1 and they don't look as good. :classic:

Hmm, cutting is the ideal way to get them :devil:

But they're just a compromise until I get myself some 3d printed ones.

Oh that brown one is awesome to! You could easily display that and nobody would know it's Thomas in his work clothes!

Haha, yeah! But I'm still not sure if that livery ever existed :sceptic:

I also wanted to note that I built my tank car - a British Railways 14 Ton Tank Wagon

28058470873_e34a8b4611_c.jpgBR 14 Ton Tank Wagon by ScotNick1, on Flickr

Now it's already starting to look like a real train, I sadly don't have a pic with all my trucks right now, but it will grow anyway so I'll update it when I have more trucks :sweet:

Edited by ScotNick

Lovely models like usual. Somehow I missed this in the first round and I'm glad I did because that tank car is lovely (even though it is a tank car, I like tank cars :blush:) I really love(d) the tank cars and you definitely nailed it!

Edited by THERIZE

Really good looking Thomas. I always thought that the locomotive got fictional design, but I see that it was created by original locomotive.

Max

I used to have some of the original LEGO DUPLO Thomas and Friends sets. When I was little I used to watch Thomas almost 24 hours a day. LEGO should release a $100.00 USD LEGO Juniors Island of Sodor set with Sir Topham hat with Thomas, Henry, Gordon, Percy Edward, Toby, and Salty with Gordon's hill. Then do a Narrow Gauge Railway set for $75.00 USD with Duncan, Mighty Mac, Mr. Percival, and Thomas. Then do a Knapford Station micro build for $10.00 USD. Then, do a train pack with all-new characters. Then Finally, do a set based on Thomas and Friends The Magic Railroad the movie chase scene with Diesel 10, Thomas, Lady Doge, Splatter, a barge boat, and a bridge that falls apart for $80.00 USD.

I used to have some of the original LEGO DUPLO Thomas and Friends sets. When I was little I used to watch Thomas almost 24 hours a day. LEGO should release a $100.00 USD LEGO Juniors Island of Sodor set with Sir Topham hat with Thomas, Henry, Gordon, Percy Edward, Toby, and Salty with Gordon's hill. Then do a Narrow Gauge Railway set for $75.00 USD with Duncan, Mighty Mac, Mr. Percival, and Thomas. Then do a Knapford Station micro build for $10.00 USD. Then, do a train pack with all-new characters. Then Finally, do a set based on Thomas and Friends The Magic Railroad the movie chase scene with Diesel 10, Thomas, Lady Doge, Splatter, a barge boat, and a bridge that falls apart for $80.00 USD.

I too would love this (I always loved Thomas, and Scotnick helped me realize my dream of having a 2-10-0 9F like Murdoch but dark bluish gray.), but their are problems, among them the Magic Railroad was a total flop, and Lego is unlikely to sell sets on a 16 year old film with no modern sequels / remakes / equivalent. (Though It would be awesome to have Lady and Diesel 10... I've wanted them for as long as the movie was out!) Heck, Lady was barely mentioned outside of a a throwaway scene in a 2006 DVD / VHS tape release film "Calling All Engines".

Anyway, great work Scotnick, and I hope to see more of your engine built "in the brick" eventually!

Ok guys,

so I thought I wouldn't make a new topic for that as it's just an update.
But I thought it's worth it because now I'd call him finished. I got some new 3D printed wheels recently and made some tweaks here and there, and furthermore I finally have pictures of Thomas with his beloved coaches.

40514274214_2059d4989a_b.jpgThomas with coaches by ScotNick1, on Flickr
41164979542_3b5b715878_b.jpgLBSCR E2 - finally done by ScotNick1, on Flickr
41164964712_4ba3fbf96c_c.jpgLBSCR E2 - finally done by ScotNick1, on Flickr
39399624280_33c541c807_c.jpgLBSCR E2 - finally done by ScotNick1, on Flickr
41184324582_e4df865bb5_c.jpgThomas with coaches by ScotNick1, on Flickr
41184314932_0bd103f08d_c.jpgThomas with coaches by ScotNick1, on Flickr
41229039841_99c12e62dc_c.jpgThomas with coaches by ScotNick1, on Flickr

One of the coaches is powered and has all the PF stuff cramped in.
41229054641_a9ba3d6c81_c.jpgComposite (power) coach by ScotNick1, on Flickr
40331936655_038a387f4c_c.jpgBrake Coach by ScotNick1, on Flickr

Hope you like it all together :)

Cheers, Nick

Edited by ScotNick
Updated picture link

The wheels are a nice upgrade! Also, Thomas looks great with his coaches!

7 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Nice upgrades! Are those tie rod parts custom by the way? :classic:

The parts used as tie rods are an old system designed for technic that served a particular functionality, that which I cannot recall. 

1 minute ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

It appears it was called the Technic flex cable system.

Ah, okay, thanks a lot for identifying that! :classic:

That is a fantastic build, you simultaneously captured Thomas, while also creating a very realistic looking MOC loaded with all sorts of intricate detailing