Sign in to follow this  
gamejutzu

Sonic the Hedgehog 25th anniversary

Are any Sonic fans exited for what the 25th anniversary will bring?

Here we'll talk about whatever the game will be (as of now I don't know), and Sonic related things that occur in 2016/2017, like the Sonic shoes (which should be really cool!)

So the 25th anniversary game will most likely be revealed at the SDCC (San Diego Comic Con), which is tomorrow! (right now anyway) I myself won't be going, but I'll definitely be watching the stream on that day or later if I miss it.

You can also talk about your thoughts on Sonic, and how the 25th anniversary could affect that. But that's all in due time :grin:

Not most likely, they will be announcing the new game on tomorrow...

At Sonic's Birthday Celebration.

They'll be streaming the event on Sonic's official Twitch channel.

I also assume this will be where we'll have the official reveal for Sonic's Lego Dimensions pack as well.

Regarding my love for sonic though. It's an unconditional love. Generations is one of the best, but I love the first. I enjoyed Sonic '06 for the concept and story, yet the Adventures brought the best stories to the table. I'm also a fan of the Storybook games as well, and honestly are unappreciated.

But let's make one thing clear.

Boom game =/= Boom show

Avoid the game. Embrace the self-aware show.

I'm not excited about Sonic's 25th anniversary at all...because there's no 25th anniversary game coming out this year! :angry:

If a new game is announced tonight, the game will come out before June 21st, 2017. So technically, the game will be releasing for the 25th Anniversary, as it will still be his 25th year of existence.

If a new game is announced tonight, the game will come out before June 21st, 2017. So technically, the game will be releasing for the 25th Anniversary, as it will still be his 25th year of existence.

Won't be this year though.

Sonic Mania looks good but the main Sonic 25th anniversary game looks terrible. Where's the iconic Sonic environments?

They just showed a small clip of what's going to be a big game. I'm sure it's there.

I'm personally really excited for Sonic 2017. I really enjoyed Generations and I'm hoping this will be at the same quality. Honestly I wish Classic Sonic wasn't in this as he was already in Generarions and his inclusion here makes it feel like a gimmick. I'll wait and see how this game turns out.

They just showed a small clip of what's going to be a big game. I'm sure it's there.

I'm personally really excited for Sonic 2017. I really enjoyed Generations and I'm hoping this will be at the same quality. Honestly I wish Classic Sonic wasn't in this as he was already in Generarions and his inclusion here makes it feel like a gimmick. I'll wait and see how this game turns out.

I would have preferred Sonic Boom Sonic alongside Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic to offer all three versions of Sonic in videogames.

I would have preferred Sonic Boom Sonic alongside Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic to offer all three versions of Sonic in videogames.

The only thing is that no one wants Boom Sonic, as he's considered the butt of gaming after the atrocity that was the Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal/Rise of Lyric combo. The TV show is the only saving grace for that iteration of the Blue Blur, as even the Boom comic series tanked.

Keeping that iteration of Sonic out of the big game (as far as we know) was, even in my biased perspective, a very smart move. in fact I'd be very surprised if they continue to produce anything Boom related after Fire & Ice tanks.

The only thing is that no one wants Boom Sonic, as he's considered the butt of gaming after the atrocity that was the Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal/Rise of Lyric combo. The TV show is the only saving grace for that iteration of the Blue Blur, as even the Boom comic series tanked.

Keeping that iteration of Sonic out of the big game (as far as we know) was, even in my biased perspective, a very smart move. in fact I'd be very surprised if they continue to produce anything Boom related after Fire & Ice tanks.

It would have added something new though instead of it just being Classic and New Sonic teaming up again. I'm not a fan of the Sonic Boom Sonic but I do think having him team up with Classic and New Sonic could have offered something that feels a bit more fresh than just doing a dark/gritty take on Sonic Generations.

Regarding my love for sonic though. It's an unconditional love. Generations is one of the best, but I love the first. I enjoyed Sonic '06 for the concept and story, yet the Adventures brought the best stories to the table. I'm also a fan of the Storybook games as well, and honestly are unappreciated.

Boom game =/= Boom show

A lot of people bash Sonic '06's story because they only talk about the "big" parts of the story. If you look past the discrepancies, they did the story pretty well. I also think the Storybook series is underrated, the storytelling is pretty good there.

The show is eh for me. If every episode was like the first one, i'd watch it no problem. It just seems pretty boring at times.

Where's the iconic Sonic environments?

The trailer takes place in a city location. Other city locations in Sonic games are Crisis City, City Escape, Speed Highway, and Soleanna. A lot of these environments are pretty iconic if you ask me.

I'd also add that the game is not a sequel (as stated in the event), but a new experience. Which means new gameplay and new levels. I'm pretty optimistic.

I think it would be cool if this game had open world, but hey, if there isn't at least we have Lego Dimensions.

In the Lego Dimensions trailer I recognized his dive kick from Smash and his tatsumaki senpuu kyaku spinning kick from Sonic Battle.

Edited by gamejutzu

So there's gonna be another livestream tomorrow, which will have (paraphrase) reveals for both Mania and Project 2017. By the end we should have (paraphrase) a decent chunk of information on 2017.

Edited by gamejutzu

To reiterate.

There is a panel at SXSW that isn't being streamed (the people who head the even won't allow it). The information on Sonic Mania and Project Sonic 2017 will be revealed during the panel.

Following the panel, the guys from Sonic's social media team will recap everything on a live stream.

The information will most likely be shared as the panel is going on as opposed to the live stream, but, hey, if you want something comprehensive, that's the way to go.

EDIT: Streams will most likely happen as Periscopes (why!?!) (from head of Sonic the Hedgehog Twitter)

Edited by Penkid11

4 hours ago, Penkid11 said:

There is a panel at SXSW that isn't being streamed (the people who head the even won't allow it). The information on Sonic Mania and Project Sonic 2017 will be revealed during the panel.

Following the panel, the guys from Sonic's social media team will recap everything on a live stream.

The information will most likely be shared as the panel is going on as opposed to the live stream, but, hey, if you want something comprehensive, that's the way to go.

EDIT: Streams will most likely happen as Periscopes (why!?!) (from head of Sonic the Hedgehog Twitter)

At the end of the day I didn't think it was necessary to see it in HD, so I just saw someone else stream the panel. 

Music tracks! Gameplay! Name reveal!

Edited by gamejutzu

People are already making jokes about the game's title :rofl:

The Modern bit also looks pretty linear. This could be because this is just the opening act, and once you know how to play better you'll be given bigger spaces to run around in.

I'm guessing we'll see Classic gameplay sometime in May, so then we can see the new third gameplay style at E3, the real kicker. It might even be playable.

Edited by gamejutzu

1 hour ago, MatthewRC said:

If only LEGO had made Sonic the Hedgehog sets outside of LEGO Dimensions.

I'm hoping the Sonic the Hedgehog Movie won't go unnoticed by Lego. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Also customizable characters are exactly the thing needed to get the fanbase involved with Sonic again. They are world renown for making Original Characters, but making those characters a reality?

That and it will get the interest of kids who are the target market for these games.

If you pause at the right moment in the trailer you can see a list of customizable options which are pretty in depth; there's upper, middle, and lower selections for just headgear... And there's a slider, meaning there's a few more options we haven't seen. Also at the top of the customization widget it says "dress up", which could mean the things like headgear are actually subsections of the overall dress up section, and there's even more categories to see, each with just as much options.

Also you can choose from around 7 species which have different perks. There are "wispons" which go into your red tool and act as it's "ammo" in a way. We only saw the burst wispon in the Park Avenue gameplay clip. and whatever the flamethrower attack is. I'm guessing the HUD will have a wispon meter.

Edited by gamejutzu

Should've called it "Sonic: Fandom", to be honest. :laugh:

Honestly, I'm fine with the character customization mechanic. It looks like a fun idea and it'll sell well with kids, and the whole "Eggman's making a legitimate attempt to take over the world" looks fun. Although, no idea why Classic Sonic's in the game. You could just toss Modern Sonic into the 2D platforming stages and no-one would bat an eye. You know... unless they're throwing stuff from THIS into the game:

sonicsatam_7459.jpg

Cause, you know, I'd be all over that.

A new E3 trailer for Forces came out today. A lot of neat stuff is happening in the video, like the roster of enemies.

... Yep... I'm really doing this...

Edited by gamejutzu