Just saw Beyond and would rate it much better than Into Darkness. I felt that Beyond really captured the essence of Star Trek, something that ironically the trailers utterly failed at doing.

Exactly my reaction. Although I loved all of the bits with the Franklin, the interior (and ext) just looked far nicer than the current Enterprise, But, To put it into perspective it's like driving the first car ever for us!

Columbus

I just saw beyond the other day... I'd definitely say Into Darkness was better and that Beyond was more about the CG/special effects than anything else, but still worth seeing for a Star Trek fan. Thanks for starting this topic Forresto

I saw Star Trek: Beyond. I loved it! I think it's my favorite out of the new reboot series, though I also love Star Trek 2009 and Star Trek: Into Darkness.

Just watched Star Trek: First Contact all the way through for the first time. The Next Generation is my favorite of the TV series, and this film kept the spirit.

Still I wonder if the Reboot Films will ever tackle TNG era... It seems they probably will still be able to make TOS inspired films for a few more years; but I really want to see the Enterprise-D or E depicted in the "Kelvin Verse." Enterprise-D meets the Apple Store?

Happy 50th Anniversary Everyone! To another 50 more of boldly going where no one has gone before...

Ars technica has published a quite profound article on the choice of the time-frame of the new series.

This is an incredible article. Thanks for sharing!

This is an incredible article. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you very much and happy Anniversary too!

Yesterday for the 50th anniversary, I watched one episode from TOS . I ended up choosing Tomorrow Is Yesterday. It wasn't as campy as some of the other TOS episodes I have seen, and I had fun watching it. The CGI effects used in the updated version shown on Netfllix, did help the dramatic scenes be a little bit more impressing to.

Yesterday for 50th, I dusted off my old Phaser and pit it against the SW Blaster.

Don't forget to set to stun first...

Hey that is no fair. Jar Jar is automatically going to win. :angry:

For the 50th anniversary,I did nothing (I didn't even realize what the exact date is). I must be a bad "Trekkie". :sad:

Edited by samuraiturtle

I've never been a big fan of Star Trek, but I enjoyed the latest movie, Star Trek: Beyond. Watching that is my only contribution to the 50th anniversary, lol.

Hey that is no fair. Jar Jar is automatically going to win. :angry:

For the 50th anniversary,I did nothing (I didn't even realize what the exact date is). I must be a bad "Trekkie". :sad:

Dang it, maybe I should have put a red shirt on Jar Jar. :wink:

I suppose you can do something next year for Star Wars 40th birthday or the 35th anniversary of my favorite ST movie: The Wrath of Kahn. :classic:

Dang it, maybe I should have put a red shirt on Jar Jar. :wink:

I suppose you can do something next year for Star Wars 40th birthday or the 35th anniversary of my favorite ST movie: The Wrath of Kahn. :classic:

Yea that would of help. :sarcasm_smug:

Knowing me I would just forget about that stuff too.

Edited by samuraiturtle

I added a bunch of great Star Trek websites to the first post. If anyone knows of reputable sites to add just let me know and i'll include them in the original post.

Discovery is postponed, is that right? Dang, I really was looking forward to it... despite those horrible movies of the recent past. As a die-hard Trekkie who started with TOS and learned to love ST with TNG, those movies were a bit disappointing storywise. Too much bling-bling as well.

I'm not that excited for Discovery. I'll watch it. I guess I'll hope for the best. But I'm sick of prequels. Enterprise sucked. I want to see the series grow somewhere, not look back to the past. I want to see new enemies and friends along with old ones like the Cardassians, Borg, etc. A prequel basically guarantees we won't see some things like the Borg and Cardassians won't be a big deal. Ignoring the LAME way Enterprise had Borg put in, but everything about Enterprise was lame.

1 hour ago, BrickG said:

I'm not that excited for Discovery. I'll watch it. I guess I'll hope for the best. But I'm sick of prequels. Enterprise sucked. I want to see the series grow somewhere, not look back to the past. I want to see new enemies and friends along with old ones like the Cardassians, Borg, etc. A prequel basically guarantees we won't see some things like the Borg and Cardassians won't be a big deal. Ignoring the LAME way Enterprise had Borg put in, but everything about Enterprise was lame.

I thought I heard that the series is going to follow American Horror Story's format where each season is a different story. Maybe we'll get another timeline?

To be fair to Enterprise they did do some super cool things such as develop and flesh out concepts and races never brought up in the Original Series touched by the other series such as the Andorians and Tellurites and early Vulcans. Some people hate the latter but I actually like that the Vulcans were different, it adds to the sense of realism in the universe's history by showing evolving societies. I completely agree though that i'm tired of prequels.

I would love to see a series set a hundred years after Voyager in the far future. 

I like star trek a lot and I would love to see more of its universe. If I had only known the last couple of series and films that have been made, they wouldn't have made me a fan though. Too formularic and shallow. Trek fell from a groundbreaking series, as TOS and TNG were at their time, to being too self referential and mediocre.

As for discovery: there are some names now and a video (and if that doesnt work, here is the source) with a couple of shots from the sets. Nothing that gives much of an idea of the quality of the stories etc, but there has been a little outcry about aliens that might be or not the new klingons :wink:. I wont be disappointed if they were. Why not shaking things up a bit with modernized looks. Anyway - just wait and see.  It might be great, it might be not.

40 minutes ago, Forresto said:

I thought I heard that the series is going to follow American Horror Story's format where each season is a different story. Maybe we'll get another timeline?

Yeah I heard that. I don't like that either heh. I want to really get to know characters. If you're limited to a season I doubt I'll care much about them or get to know them that well. Heck, some characters like Worf and O'Brien just kept going and I just kept enjoying them. I'm all for stopping something when it starts to get bad but I do enjoy longer stories as long as they stay good. I highly prefer them. Even if Discovery is amazing, we'll still likely only get 1 season of it and characters that I doubt will attain anywhere near the level of legend as Kirk, Spock, Data, Picard, etc.

I want a more relevant, multi-season, non-prequel Star Trek lol.

Star Trek has always been a show that tackles modern day issues. It should continue to do that but some of the issues in the older series are kind of old fashioned and irrelevant these days.

By old fashioned issues do you mean the Cold War parables of TOS? Yep rather out of date now. :wink: 

I still feel like Discovery is setting itself up for disaster. The streaming only method, the disrespectful comments from CBS officials, the fact so many older Trek fans just can't get hyped for it, etc. I won't be watching it probably.

What I want to see from Star Trek on TV is something akin to the Next Generation. Mature enough to tackle some philosophical issues (as long as it doesn't feel preachy like TNG did sometimes); light-hearted enough it could be a TV series the family could enjoy, special effects with a modern polish, interesting characters, and some great exploration. I want to see the Star Trek prime reality post the destruction of Romulus; with a new sense of instability, and new places to explore (sort of like what Star Trek Online was trying to do). I want the color palette to be colorful, but not quite as "out there" as the TOS or the reboot films were. In short I basically want a Star Trek TV series that is STAR TREK and not Walking Space Dead Streaming Service of Thrones 'Trek' that all the rumors seem to indicate Discovery is shaping up to be.

16 hours ago, quark12000 said:

What is Discovery?

A new Star Trek series.

For myself, I will probably be content if it is set in the prime timeline, and if it doesnt feel more futuristic than the "future" series, something that bugged me a lot with Enterprise. ST:TNG is the gold standard for me, but i will try to avoid letting nostalgia color my feelings for Discovery. A well-done prequel series could actually enhance the grand "operatic" feeling of the franchise, which I hope will happen.