I'm trying to think of this as a standalone. It's better that way. Because there's no possible way to reconcile anything with the canon unless it's something ridiculous like another Mirror universe or something. 

They shouldn't have holodecks for another like 150 years. 

Well I'd name 100 more but you get the point...

I'll think of this show as "Star Trax".

3 hours ago, BrickG said:

I'm trying to think of this as a standalone. It's better that way. Because there's no possible way to reconcile anything with the canon unless it's something ridiculous like another Mirror universe or something. 

They shouldn't have holodecks for another like 150 years. 

Well I'd name 100 more but you get the point...

I'll think of this show as "Star Trax".

Look obviously I am fond of Discovery, however I do get really frustrated at canon inconsistencies as well. I'm gonna give them the chance to figure themselves out and reconcile the show to the franchise. Such as none of the Klingon stuff looking very Klingon (i'm looking at you D-7 that isnt a D-7). However besides visuals I haven't really noticed any major or significant canon discrepancies short of say the holographic communications.

Oddly enough the animated series is apparently canon again, for the most part, which is why Discovery has a tiny holodeck. In TAS the original Enterprise had a holodeck called the recreation room and Gene Roddenberry envisioned a holodeck in TOS but never had the budget to do it until TNG. 

Edited by Forresto

I haven't watched either Discovery or The Oroville; but this YouTube review/rant has me actually interested in the Oroville. Frankly this is the type of social commentary that has long been needed in modern society, and I gotta give props to the show for doing it. It helps to define there is a difference between equality and rights; and pedantic social justice nonsense. Social Justice Dystopia, I love that definition:

Here's the NYCC trailer for the upcoming second season of Star Trek: Discovery, offering a first look at Gregory Peck's grandson Ethan Peck as Spock:

What parts of Star Trek might our Lego Movie heroes like? Here are my thoughts, based on TLM1:

Emmet: The Next Generation. The one where everyone follows the rules and works as a team of buddies. Also, their ship is built like a perfect skyscraper.

Wildstyle/Lucy: Deep Space 9. The first properly dark and brooding one, and she identifies with Major Kira.

Metalbeard: Again, Deep Space 9. He identifies with the shape shifter, and also the hunk of junk that is the station!

Lord Business: Also a niner, but he thinks the Ferengi are the heroes!

Batman: Used to be a niner, but now its Discovery, and only Discovery. Only Discovery has black alert.

Bad Cop: The original series, particularly the moments when Spock and McCoy give Kirk conflicting advice; Bad Cop usually sides with Spock, Good Cop nearly always sides with McCoy.

Vitruvius: Enterprise. He likes to see things built from the ground up. No one ever broke it to him that Enterprise came later than most of the shows.

Benny: Voyager, despite its 1995 release date. It has the best spaceships, and also the best pilot, who has achieved infinite velocity! He also likes The Motion Picture (1979), as it reminds him of his era.

Unikitty: The Orville.

Edited by Bornin1980something

Some news for people near the Indianapolis children's museum. Their is a Star Trek exhibit until April (I believe to the seventh). 

Season 2 is quite good so far. 4.5/5 stars.

I think they're going TOO heavy on the technobabble. I understand they're trying to be more classic Star Trek and bring in elements that feel more Star Trek. But it's kind of a bit much atm. I'm not sick of it yet but this can get old fast I think. It's like by the time Voyager came out it used so much technobabble it was ridiculous and everyone was sick of it. It's just been so long since Voyager that people forgot! I'm hoping they reel some of it in. Not all of it though. 

Also I'm kind of sick of the plots of EVERYTHING WILL BE DESTROYED/THREATEN THE WHOLE GALAXY. You can have well written stories that don't affect the whole universe. So far it seems to be going towards a galaxy threat again. Also the Spore Drive is still kind of lame. In the latest episode they kind of explain WHY they probably won't use it anymore. However, in season 1 we found out it's absurdly easy to accidentally destroy that whole spore universe place, and if you do EVERYTHING dies apparently. So nobody else in the whole universe discovered this technology and abused it? I don't buy it.

Easier to complain than praise. I'm enjoying it a lot though.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Picard series, even though I haven't been able to get into Discovery. 

I'm getting my hopes up too much because that looks AMAZING and I want LEGO to make sets...

Double post to bump it after a long time...

PICARD was the first thing in what seems like YEARS that didn't disappoint me. It was just plain GREAT. It wasn't like The Next Generation, but it's a real continuation. 

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

So I can see why it wouldn't work for some people. It is Star Trek made for Star Trek The Next Generation NERDS. There's a lot of references and stuff but unlike Star Wars where it's all about "Look at this COOL AT-ST! Look at this baby Yoda so CUTE!"... the references and stuff here are meaningful. Heck, they're not really references but direct story continuations from The Next Generation! One of the biggest connections is basically from A Measure of a Man, an episode of TNG from freakin' 1989 (and I guess they're going to try to find Bruce Maddox which was only in that episode!)! Also episodes like The Offspring and others help a lot here too. It's REALLY a continuing story and everything had meaning however, I can 100% see why someone who hasn't watched much Trek or isn't as big of a nerd as me wouldn't like it as much.

There's a criticism I'm seeing for it which thinks there's too much talking and not enough action, people thought it felt slow. I think those people are just freakin' maniacs who like Michael Bay's Transformers movies because it was perfectly paced. Star Trek is about THOUGHT. If anything there was too much action. Though I wouldn't say that.

Anyways, it was freakin' amazing. Picard has changed but I can believe his character's change because it's been a few decades and most of his guarded emotions were caused by his position as Captain. He hasn't been in that role for a good while now and (as seen in the trailers) seems to be a lot more smiley and open. Even though we've not got much information I can buy him leaving Starfleet for the stated reason too. He almost resigned in a few episodes due to not agreeing with what's going on. 

I don't know what to say really. It was just quite good. The only BAD thing was they didn't do well at de-aging Data. He was a freakin' old man heh. But I guess I can suspend my disbelief for that and I'd rather have weird old man Data than no Data. And even though it was guessable that the gal was a new Android (everyone was guessing either an Android to complete the Data connection, or some connection with the Borg) it still worked well. The "there's two of them" thing is a bit odd and convenient and I do wish Dahj lived because even though she was barely with us long the death did suck which is something I rarely say for someone who lasts an episode and dies. I guess much of the emotional attachment was the fact that this might be in some way Data's kid, and I'm attached to Data. So I understand if someone not attached to Data doesn't really care. I hope the other one (forgot her name) is as good of a character.

I hope it keeps being this good. I've enjoyed everything about it. I just hope Geordi shows his face but I'm not expecting it due to them not announcing it yet... Which is kind of sad since him and Data were best friends. I know Picard's relationship with Data was special in a mentor/mentee kind of way. I'd say Data was almost the son Picard never had. But Geordi is awesome too and needs to get in on this Android stuff.

9.5/10! Great start! 

I have just finished episode 1. Wow. So far I'm pretty impressed. This is more Star Trek than anything that happened since 2009. Even the title music gives me that ST feeling. Looking forward to the next episodes.
Live long and prosper, Picard!

18 hours ago, Trekkie99 said:

Watching the second episode right now... The expository dialogue is killing me. :ugh:

Isn't.. that what Star Trek has always been? I mean most of the great episodes took place on like 1-2 sets and were like 100% exposition and dialogue. Heck, much of TOS (which you have an icon for) was huuuuuge amounts of exposition and dialogue. That is GOOD. They're thinking, they're talking. There's not a lot of action scenes (and there's still more than any most of TNG/TOS episodes) and that's GOOD. We've gotten like 1-2 scenes of action an episode. 

Have people's attention spans just DIED? Some of the best episodes of Trek were basically long expositions. Measure of a Man, Chain of Command, etc. This IS Star Trek. This is one reason why it's GOOD. It's not MINDLESS. It thinks before it acts and it doesn't blind you with lots of ridiculous action and battle visuals like that ridiculous last episode of Discovery with 100000 shuttles where you can't tell what's going on. 

You've got Star Wars The Mandalorian if you want barely any meaningful dialogue and too much action.

EXPOSITORY DIALOGUE = GOOD! Keep it up I say! This is the way.

Edited by BrickG

On 2/6/2019 at 5:24 PM, Bornin1980something said:

What parts of Star Trek might our Lego Movie heroes like? Here are my thoughts, based on TLM1:

Emmet: The Next Generation. The one where everyone follows the rules and works as a team of buddies. Also, their ship is built like a perfect skyscraper.

Wildstyle/Lucy: Deep Space 9. The first properly dark and brooding one, and she identifies with Major Kira.

Metalbeard: Again, Deep Space 9. He identifies with the shape shifter, and also the hunk of junk that is the station!

Lord Business: Also a niner, but he thinks the Ferengi are the heroes!

Batman: Used to be a niner, but now its Discovery, and only Discovery. Only Discovery has black alert.

Bad Cop: The original series, particularly the moments when Spock and McCoy give Kirk conflicting advice; Bad Cop usually sides with Spock, Good Cop nearly always sides with McCoy.

Vitruvius: Enterprise. He likes to see things built from the ground up. No one ever broke it to him that Enterprise came later than most of the shows.

Benny: Voyager, despite its 1995 release date. It has the best spaceships, and also the best pilot, who has achieved infinite velocity! He also likes The Motion Picture (1979), as it reminds him of his era.

Unikitty: The Orville.

This is just plain old awesome!!!  I luv where your head's at.

On 2/2/2020 at 2:50 PM, BrickG said:

*snip*

Well, the same thing ran across my mind when I read that comment. Couldn't have put it better.

Hm, 2 hours and 45 minutes until Friday :wink:

I haven't seen the episode of Picard from a few days ago yet, but as for the rest I've liked it. Though I'm hoping they can build on this going forward next season and have something better paced now that they have some setup/introductions out of the way. 

Well here is some news about Discovery...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/08/26/cbs-taps-star-trek-discovery-one-day-at-a-time/amp/

I guess when you got nothing else to show why not? Probably good for people who haven't seen the show yet.

And if you are to lazy to check the link: Thursday's at 10pm you can start watching Discovery on TV (the first season) starting on September 24 (on CBS). 

Edited by samurai-turtle
Add a comment

I think half my posts here are about negative reviews for Star Trek or Star Wars. Oh well!

This season demonstrates that most of the weaknesses of Discovery will never be addressed. Stuff from how they make everything a speech and pump the emotions up to 10 which makes nothing actually emotional, to the complete and utter lack of character development for anyone who isn't in the top 3. At least Georgiou is gone. She was a terrible "it feels gooood to be so baaad" horrible trope of a character. The sad thing is she's probably getting that spin-off. Might as well spin-off Jar Jar. Blablabla.

Some of the lore is decent. They're legit trying to match canon as much as they can by backpeddling the Klingon designs and stuff.

1000 years in the future also lacks imagination. So the transporters are faster and in your combadge, the ships have floating nacelles, holographic technology everywhere. You'd think the show was 100 years in the future. I mean the Star Trek story writers always talked about how moving Star Trek forward was REALLY hard and that's why they went with Enterprise, a prequel. This show shows why it's really hard. Star Trek was already really imaginative with the future and it's tech (for the time). This one... it takes everything and barely elevates it. I don't know why they're still using Quantum or even Photon Torpedoes. I don't know why they're still having fist fights. I don't know why the future of Star Trek, which is already a story of the future, lacks any feeling of it being very "futurey" compared to 1000 years or whatever earlier. Well, I do know why, it's because it's freakin' really hard to write it, and hard to write it in a really Star Treky way where it seems plausible and sciencey and sufficiently ahead of the Star Trek we know.

And why in the world doesn't the future Federation give more support to the USS Discovery? You'd think they'd send more than 1 child (who they didn't send) to act as an officer on the ship to help them climatise and stuff. They still are surprised by technology they find, that's because apparently NOBODY has filled them in and there's NOBODY they've put on their ship to help.

Remember Saru's second in command issue? It went to Tilly despite that being the stupidest decision in the world. Might as well take NOG from fresh out of the achademy and make him commander. RIDICULOUS and STUPID. Lazy and dumb writing. Unbelievable. But IGNORING THAT... there was a golden opportunity to bring in someone new from this new century. Someone who could help ground the crew in this new time and help out with tech advice and all that future stuff. Saru would find new missions and the second in command would act as a time-translator and make sure they're not missing anything due to the fact that they're so outdated. Perfect opportunity, squandered for the absulote trash writing that Tilly is somehow worthy of being a commander. Maybe they based it entirely off of her Mirror Universe counterpart? No idea...

Should also have support characters from this century seeded through the ship...

Well I have 1000 complaints. I might say good things for a change.

The art is pretty good.

The acting is good (ignoring the lack of anything that isn't meant to be profound). It's not the actor's fault the story is garbage.

The special effects in the last episode were REALLY good for a "TV show".

Uh, I think that's it.

On 12/29/2020 at 9:45 AM, BrickG said:

Saru's second in command issue? It went to Tilly despite that being the stupidest decision in the world. Might as well take NOG from fresh out of the achademy and make him commander. RIDICULOUS and STUPID. Lazy and dumb writing. Unbelievable. But IGNORING THAT... there was a golden opportunity to bring in someone new from this new century. Someone who could help ground the crew in this new time and help out with tech advice and all that future stuff. Saru would find new missions and the second in command would act as a time-translator and make sure they're not missing anything due to the fact that they're so outdated. Perfect opportunity, squandered for the absulote trash writing that Tilly is somehow worthy of being a commander. Maybe they based it entirely off of her Mirror Universe counterpart? No idea...

Some points in response to this. You call it lazy and dumb writing, but in-universe it's clearly a questionable decision - whilst the crew tell her to say yes, Tilly herself brings up reasons she shouldn't be. When Saru mentions that his number one is Ensign Tilly, Dadmiral Vance's look is of incredulity. Everyone outside the ship thinks it is a bad decision. To be honest, I think Starfleet should've, and probably will after this, assign a new, 31st century XO to Discovery. However, in Tilly's defence we know from S1 she is on the command track and possibly one of the few command-division officers aboard with experience. Honestly, there aren't that many other good picks for XO, although she is definitely too inexperienced at this stage.