Rolli

[MOC] Boga – Obi Wan's Varactyl

Hey all!

A surprise leaving gift for my good friend Sanel who fittingly goes by the nickname 'Boga' this was a model I tremendously enjoyed building.

I had great fun bringing Boga to life with bricks and even though this represents about 98% of my collection of dark green (which now proudly sits at Sanel's place) it was more than worth it. I wanted to tackle Boga for a while and this now created the perfect opportunity. For some reason our favorite lizard never got the replica out of LEGO it deserved (no, we won't mention the set from back in the day).

28258018181_abda4d86ed_b.jpg

Boga - Obi-Wan's Varactyl by Rolli, on Flickr

It came together quite quickly over the course of two evenings and then a third one after a couple of Bricklink orders brought the sought-after dark green hands and some other small bits for the last details. I especially enjoyed building the head – I seem to have a thing for animals and creatures lately. Whereas the feathers around the neck were totally straightforward, especially the golden decorations cost me quite a bit of time. Well... All worth it!

Sanel was over the moon – and so was I, seeing him so happy about the model.

Hope you like it - let me know what you think!

Best

Markus

PS: Obi-Wan's fancy new hairstyle obviously results from Boga's speedy movement across Utapau, not my atrocious collection of dark orange hair styles ;)

Saw this on flickr and I must say it's a great looking build. You definitely do it better justice than TLG ever did.

I don't even know what to say. The technique you used for the head is usually not my cup 'o tea but I'm really liking this, I think you just convinced me to change my mind about it.

This MOC certainly sells to me the idea of Obi Wan riding a giant lizard monster into battle more so then the movie.

Boga definitely looks amazing, I love the mane especially. But I also really love the colors you used on the ground, they look really nice and compliment Boga well.

Oh my god I can't believe I'm the first to say this but can we get an LDD for this masterpiece?

Oh my god I can't believe I'm the first to say this but can we get an LDD for this masterpiece?

The face is a host of illegal connections; on to mention that minifigure arms cannot be separated from the body and hands from the arms…

Beautiful!

What I like best is the posing of the creature and Obi-Wan - it looks very fluid and dynamic conveying a real sense of motion in the scene.

I am not sure about the Conan'O Brian hairstyle though ;)

Wow, this looks awesome! You really managed to accurately capture what Boga looked like, unlike that aforementioned set.... His mane was really well done!