Sign in to follow this  
DrThresh

Smaug the Terrible

27767109243_43b3f724c3_c.jpg

Smaug the Terrible by Chris Yee, on Flickr

Smaug the Terrible, Chiefest of Calamities and the one of the main antagonists in "The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug". With the many references available, I had chosen to focus heavily on the facial features to capture the menacing personality of the fire drake. The creation had taken about 6 months of planning, purchasing and research followed by 200+ hours of production building with over 10,000 parts (excluding the gold pile), ready for the Christchurch Brick Show 2016, held over the 16-17 July weekend.

This was my first foray into organic building using bricks as I've been working with Bionicle and Technic based systems for many years, so this end result I am quite pleased with.

Initially Smaug was to stand about 70cm in height, 60cm in length and about 40cm wide. Due to a structural deficiency in the neck construction (the night before the show setup, I might add), the majority of the neck was cast aside to have the head and first few neck segments laying atop of my entire collection of gold elements, which took up 2x 2 litre containers. Many thanks to Legonardo for helping replenish my gold stores, WIP feedback, and for the great photo of the creation.

Smaug is currently on its way to Wellington where it will be displayed in other various exhibits and events in the months to come.

Enjoy

Chris

Edited by DrThresh

Wow! It looks amazing! Great photography as well. Is there a overall photo of it as well as just this closeup?

Looks terrible!

Jokes aside, this looks great. Fantastic work here. Really curious to see how you'll do the wings, as well.

Wow! It looks amazing! Great photography as well. Is there a overall photo of it as well as just this closeup?

Guess who took the photo :wink: when you consider how dark the venue was I think it came out pretty good haha... I only got the one shot though

Having seen this thing first hand, I can tell testify that it's absolutely fantastic. Can't wait for the future developments on it mate!

Edited by Legonardo

The weekend was pretty busy so this is currently the best shot available. The remaining part of the neck isn't particularly interesting in my opinion, since I focused heavily on the head portion.

Looks terrible!

Jokes aside, this looks great. Fantastic work here. Really curious to see how you'll do the wings, as well.

Reminds me of something Legonardo said some days before the show in PM:

hows smaug the terrible looking

I laughed a good few minutes on that.

I may eventually make a full version of Smaug, though the scale will be a great deal smaller, else I might be looking at something around 10ft/3m long, with a wingspan just as wide lol

Edited by DrThresh

Guess who took the photo :wink: when you consider how dark the venue was I think it came out pretty good haha... I only got the one shot though

Having seen this thing first hand, I can tell testify that it's absolutely fantastic. Can't wait for the future developments on it mate!

I was going to mention that, since when I was zooming on on Flickr, I noticed that the photo was taken with an EM5 and the astronaut photo was taken with an EM1. I wasn't entirely sure as the EXIF wasn't showing so I couldn't tell if it was taken with your favourite prime or not!

And to go completely off topic: Re the Flickr PM, the 12-50 is also useful as a 43mm macro, though it does limit it to a fastest aperture of f/8.0.

The weekend was pretty busy so this is currently the best shot available. The remaining part of the neck isn't particularly interesting in my opinion, since I focused heavily on the head portion.

Reminds me of something Legonardo said some days before the show in PM:

I laughed a good few minutes on that.

I may eventually make a full version of Smaug, though the scale will be a great deal smaller, else I might be looking at something around 10ft/3m long, with a wingspan just as wide

​ Amazing how much difference adding or removing a comma makes! :laugh:

Sounds great, I look forward to it!

I was going to mention that, since when I was zooming on on Flickr, I noticed that the photo was taken with an EM5 and the astronaut photo was taken with an EM1. I wasn't entirely sure as the EXIF wasn't showing so I couldn't tell if it was taken with your favourite prime or not!

And to go completely off topic: Re the Flickr PM, the 12-50 is also useful as a 43mm macro, though it does limit it to a fastest aperture of f/8.0.

The funny thing is is that neither the Astronaut or Smaug photos were taken by me. Besides, I always credit the photographer in my descriptions. :)