Part 3

Part 4

Interlude

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7 (Finale)

Tags: Civil Building

Planet: Farmolis

27940121850_61f4970f1a_z.jpgBright Light of Civilization by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

Jebediah O'Reilly: "It's all here."

Dr. Long: "Excellent. How, might I ask, did you acquire this information?"

Jebediah O'Reilly: "That's a story for another time. Maybe I'll tell you next week."

Dr. Long: "And... the contents of this disk?"

Jebediah: "Well, our one-eyed buddy Ba'al Ba'al Jinks has done some pretty serious stuff. Not the bumbling fool I initially took her for. She's been charged with organizing riots and fomenting rebellion. She even flew a stolen pirate speeder into the Queen's palace! She claimed it was an accident, but if you look at the evidence they've collected on her... Well... Let's just say she's a little bit zealous when it comes to instigating 'social and technological progress'."

Dr. Long: "Interesting... And the status of social issues under the Queen's rule?"

Jebediah: "I think it's more than enough to make the Board of Ethics place economic sanctions on Onix... Or at least it would be if they had imports."

Dr. Long: "Sanctions weren't what I had in mind... Why don't you... walk me through this."

Jebediah: "Alright."

Later

28220921255_57188d0938_z.jpgBright Light of Civilization by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

Dr. Long: "Kevin."

Meanwhile.... In Farmolis, Headquarters City....

27761472423_af20b74b3e_z.jpgThe Bright Light of Civilization by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

.... In the Primary HR building, among the clouds...

28273331772_91ab21342a_z.jpgThe Bright Light of Civilization by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

Kevin: "Well good morning to you, Danny! How's business?"

Dr. Long: "Just greeeat."

Kevin: "Don't be such a Grumpy-Guss, Danny. As a Certified Human Resources Professional, I can tell when I hear dissatisfaction. I'm very empathetic, you know. Now, what seems to be the problem?"

Dr. Long: "This task you asked me to do. It's getting a bit... messy."

Kevin: "Oh my, Danny, I've never known you to be the messy type!"

Dr. Long: "It doesn't suit me... but I need your advice... or... at least... your approval. For what I'm about to do."

Kevin: "And what is it that you're about to do..."

Dr. Long: "The Oni-Ren Queen will not listen to reason. We've offered her the galaxy on a silver plate. Technology. A cure to illness... And yet, she will not allow us to mine the richest Copper deposits in all Andromeda. Her people are dying, and she chooses to spite us rather than simply acquiescing."

Kevin: "Well she sounds like a real Mean-Mandy!"

Dr. Long: "You could certainly say that."

Kevin: "We could?"

Dr. Long: "Yes."

Kevin: "Well in that case, I think you and I both know what has to be done."

Dr. Long: "And that is?..."

Kevin: "I think I said once, that running a business is a lot like running a dairy farm. Did I ever tell you that?"

Dr. Long: "If you did, I don't recall. Sounds euphemistic."

Kevin: "Oh Danny, don't be silly. You know I'd never use euphemism with you. That's just malarkey."

Dr. Long: "Carry on."

Kevin: "See, The point of a dairy farm is to get milk for our valued and beloved customers. When the milk cows produce milk, everyone is happy! The cows are happy! The farmers are happy! The cherished customers are happy! The world is perfect and everything is awesome. But what's slightly less awesome is when one of those poor milk cows doesn't make milk any more. That's not good. But fortunately there's more that can be done with a cow than simply milking! A good dairy farm never lets its customers down."

Dr. Long. "..."

Kevin: "So. Still down in the dumps? Did my little pep-talk help?"

Dr. Long: "I think I know what needs to be done..."

Kevin: "Oh that's wonderful. See. That's why I trusted you with this task, Danny. You're a smart cookie. A keen intellect. We both work for the same folks, you and I..."

28377225845_102029e266_z.jpgThe Bright Light of Civilization by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

"The customers, of course! And our benevolent corporate overseers, who are always trying their darndest to best-serve our cherished consumers. It's our duty to provide the paying people of the galaxies with the best service, and best products we can market them, and quality employees such as yourself are key to our grand purpose."

Dr. Long: "The Oni-Ren need our vaccine, and we need copper. It doesn't have to be complicated."

Kevin: "But if it does get complicated, remember. Octan has the best PR department in the galaxies!"

Dr. Long: "Very well. I guess it's time to pull up my gloves and get back to work."

Kevin: "That's the spirit! Go out there and spread some happiness, and peace, and light."

Dr. Long: "Good bye, Kevin."

Kevin: "See you soon, Danny."

Dr. Long: "I hope not."

28199146140_f026194bd2_z.jpgThe Bright Light of Civilization HR Edit by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

Later....

27939801640_56c5c0a483_z.jpgDialogue by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

"Log date 697, This is Dr. Danielle Long, recording from Cerebus Station, Onix. Mass-production of Black-Eye vaccine has begun. We will have to work very efficiently if we're to make enough to serve the entire population of Onix... I've gone over the logistics of the distribution plan with Special Forces operative Jebediah O'Reilly. He had quite a wealth of insight regarding the vaccine distribution plan. I have to go over the preparations with the Axle staff as well. We will need ships, and supplies, and many drones, so this will have to occur in person, I'm afraid. I've informed Dr. Martenz of my brief leave. He said he'd make sure that the vaccine production continues without a hitch. Alright. Dr. Long signing off."

Later...

27604854874_10d3e283a2_z.jpgBright Light of Civilization by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

Ba'al Ba'al Jinks: "Youssa was wanting to a-speak with me?"

Dr. Long: "I do. My colleague informs me you've quite the reputation as a political extremist in the Gongen empire."

Ba'al Ba'al Jinks: "Umm.. Well, Messa and theresa Queen are no-gettin' along. Shessa be thinkin' that wessa people no be havin' to advance... no be havin' to interact with the offworlders. But wessa the laughing stock of the galaxy. Wessa dying down here."

Dr. Long: "I see...."

28186788816_1b54c56421_z.jpgBright Light of Civilization by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

"Could I ask you a question?"

"Yessa!"

Dr. Long: "How would you like to be... President Ba'al Ba'al Jinks?"

While I'm still proud of the build, it didn't turn out exactly as I'd hoped. Two things I'm not so pleased out are first, the sun on the building... It looks like a cross, and that's not at all what I was aiming for. I wanted some spikes pointing out of it to really pull-off the sun-like appearance. Instead it looks like a gravestone or a cross, which leads to undesired implications. :sceptic: I throw a lot of symbolism into my builds, especially during this arc... and that was not intentional.

Second thing is I was hoping to add more buildings in the background. That was just a time thing. Didn't want to lose the light!

Hope you liked this week's installment. As always, comments, criticisms, and concerns are welcome!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

This really cracked me up, it's almost horrifying having that head on a minifig describing the happiness of milk production. A+ :thumbup: :thumbup:

This really cracked me up, it's almost horrifying having that head on a minifig describing the happiness of milk production. A+ :thumbup: :thumbup:

Glad to hear it! :grin:almost horrifying? :tongue:

Thanks!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

I like the HR building. I'm also impressed you draw stuff out instead of just winging it each week like I do. :grin:

I'm enjoying the storyline and always great to see Kevin. For whatever reason I love his appearances, but I always forget about him. Just like I now remember we haven't seen Hombre in a while.

This is excellent - I think you portrayed Kevin (and our corporate culture) perfectly! I really like the shaping and style of the micro-HR building, and the letters are really well done.

The sun doesn't look cross-like to me. I would have maybe filled it in and put it behind the building, but I think it works well for what you were trying to portray.

I updated the original post with new pictures with an edited sun that captures my original intent a little better. Unfortunately my brother wasn't around to help me take the shot, so the photo's not quite as good. Ah well. :blush: if only I realized I had the pieces to pull this off before hand.

That HR building is wonderful!! Well done!

Thank you! :grin:

I like the HR building. I'm also impressed you draw stuff out instead of just winging it each week like I do. :grin:

[/Quote]

Thanks! With few exceptions (generally my worst builds, from the giant Panda Mech to every build in the time travel arc that did me in) I draw everything I build beforehand at least once. Some of my best builds were sketched out multiple times to get a feel for them, such as the Cog 1 and the Chauve Souris Blanche. Bob and some others prep their builds in LDD. I have neither the time nor computer to do that, so I sketch. :blush:

I'm enjoying the storyline and always great to see Kevin. For whatever reason I love his appearances, but I always forget about him. Just like I now remember we haven't seen Hombre in a while.

Glad to hear you like the storyline. I had inkling of a plan for this story since the beginning, more or less (less), so I hope you find it enjoyable!

And also yes. You just have to love Kevin! You have to. Those are the rules.

:wink:

The judges awarded you 4 points.

Thanks!

This is excellent - I think you portrayed Kevin (and our corporate culture) perfectly! I really like the shaping and style of the micro-HR building, and the letters are really well done.

The sun doesn't look cross-like to me. I would have maybe filled it in and put it behind the building, but I think it works well for what you were trying to portray.

Glad to hear you think I portrayed Kevin well! The character is great, and I really like how you've written for him, so I'm glad you let me use him! :grin:

Thanks for the complements! Putting the sun behind the building is a really good idea. I never thought of that, but now I wish it wasn't already scrapped! :laugh: also glad to hear you didn't find it cross-esque. I get a bit paranoid about offending people, especially considering the character I play.

~Insectoid Aristocrat