Sariel

[VIDEO REVIEW] 42053 - Volvo EW 160E

It's an... odd set. It's built in a way that personally really confuses me, like a hollow box of beams, all facing sideways. But it works pretty well, so I guess there's no reason to be picky. Also, I think this set's B-model got me most excited of all.

Pros:

- decent size and many functions

- looks very authentic

- all functions work pretty well

- cheap source of V2 pneumatic pieces: 2 large cylinders, small pump and new large pump at half the price of 42043

- the B-model looks very interesting

- ready to be motorized using the 8293 set

Cons:

- difficult to control; it's hard to remember which way to switch which valve

- pneumatic tubing on the boom looks really messy

- would be much more stable with regular road tires

- comes with whopping 22 stickers, many of which need to be applied very carefully to look good

- the 8293 upgrade is pretty difficult to perform and doesn't really add much

Edited by Sariel

I am very impressed with this model, even when it is the smaller one, it has lots of details, the functions seem to work very good, the new pump looks really good and i also like the design of the outriggers and the front blade, i didn't see that kind of system before, again, nice review Sariel :thumbup:

Thank you for the detailed review. Looks good for scooping food for hamster.

Time to save up for this one. :classic:

Nice review Sariel. I would think a vehicle like this would have 4 wheel steering.

I think this set has some good mod potential. For starters some cosmetic things. I know the orange is based on the real excavator, but I think replacing it with black would be better. The tubes could be wired much flatter, and this set is in desperate need of long black friction pins. Another nice thing could be pneumatically raising the cab.

Thank you for nice review.

I understand orange is based on real one, but it looks messy and distracting. I would prefer if LEGO kept it less realistic but more visually clean.

Also I do not like the "cage" cabin. I am little bit disappointed by "difficult to control", that should not happen. LEGO should always (even for adults) stay great and therefore playable toy (IMO).

But overall I think it is a great set.

Edited by J_C

Cons:

- difficult to control; it's hard to remember which way to switch which valve

- pneumatic tubing on the boom looks really messy

- the 8293 upgrade is pretty difficult to perform and doesn't really add much

I wrote my review, and kinda disagree with that.

The tubing is not perfect ok, but not so terrible compared to 42043 for example.

I think the controls are easy to remember, even without stickers. Definitely sooo muuuuch easier to remember than models with tons of controls : 8258, 8110, 42043

8293 makes moves much smoother. Plus, it prevents the locking point of the blades from breaking (it always break when pumping with regular pump).

http://www.techlug.fr/review-lego-technic/42053/pelle-sur-pneus-volvo-ew160e-42053--2016

Sariel, could you maybe spot the design id on the new handpump (this for making the Rebrickable parts list complete) :classic:

Sariel, thanks for making great review. I think i'll pass this set. I still don't have any pneumatics, but 42008 looks more appealing for me. The only thing that i really like about Volvo EW160 - yellow rims + tires, one of my favorites)

I think this is a beautiful set, Lego does a great job this year! But as mentioned, the orange is messy amd the tubings are too. I also think this was a great oppurtunity for TLG to introduce smaller scale tractor tires, to increase stability

Looks like a quite complex build with a lot of small parts, I'm a real crane fanatic so I'll definitely buy this set. It's also a set with a lot of modding capacity

Sariel, could you maybe spot the design id on the new handpump (this for making the Rebrickable parts list complete) :classic:

There's a complete parts list in the video. With numbers.

There's a complete parts list in the video. With numbers.

I know, but the parts list lists the element ID, the design ID is written on the part itself (really tiny).

It's not a must, the info is probably released by Lego when the set is released, but if you could spot it now, it would be nice :classic:

Thanks for another awesome review Sariel :thumbup: . I personally like this set even better now that I know it can have power functions with it, but can't understand why on a set like this Lego wouldn't bring back the black 3L friction pin?, luckily I have enough to replace them with. Definitely on my list for this year.

Edited by technicfan

I know, but the parts list lists the element ID, the design ID is written on the part itself (really tiny).

Looks like 6280 to me.

Good to see a review of this set. Great review, that highlights all there is to say about it.

I'm still on the fence about the set itself though. I think it's just not very "pretty". Now I get it, it's machinery, and it's Technic, but somehow it looks messy and a bit flimsy. The messiness is partly due to all the pneumatic tubing, but the rest of the set feels somehow lacking coherence in some way. I can't put SEND FOOD my finger on it though. It might also be the color scheme, where yellow and black are mixed too much, with no single discernable part being wholly black or wholly yellow. It's a mix everywhere. Add the orange and the color clash is complete. Also, the proportions seem a bit weird, with the small undercarriage and the large superstructure and cabin. The cabin raising feature is cool, but makes everything more flimsy and flexible.

Don't get me wrong. It seems to be a really good set, and I was surprised by how the battery box fits in. But I think we just get spoiled with so many great sets lately that a "good set", focusing on functionality, just feels a bit incoherent.

What a nice review for a nice set.

I have a soft spot for pneumatics, so i'm buying it despite the messy tubes. :sweet:

@Sariel, could you check how well a bucket of 42055 would fit at the end of the boom?

It fits well enough if you mod the connection, but looks a bit smallish to me. Also, there's no way to tilt it since there is no third cylinder.

Nice review Sariel. I would think a vehicle like this would have 4 wheel steering.

The Volvo product brochures do not mention the EW160E having 4 wheel steering as standard or options. Terex do list some of their wheel excavators with optional 4 wheel steering. It could be interesting to mod it with for 4 wheel steering. :classic:

Hi Sariel. Thanks for making these video reviews as always. They're very much appreciated even in my country.

Would you need to edit your video though? It says 42054 during the first few seconds when it should be 42053.

On another note, this is just my personal preference, but will you be using the same BGM that you used for your Porshe review in the future? That BGM sounds pretty catchy and really makes whatever you're reviewing seem all the more awesome.

Edited by ArchieNov

Would you need to edit your video though? It says 42054 during the first few seconds when it should be 42053.

And I can do nothing about it. You can't edit what's in the actual video once it's uploaded.

On another note, this is just my personal preference, but will you be using the same BGM that you used for your Porshe review in the future? That BGM sounds pretty catchy and really makes whatever you're reviewing seem all the more awesome.

I might, but while you liked it, a couple of other people complained about it. As usual, there's just no way to please everyone.

@Sariel....i am surprised you did not highlight the Black Technic brick brought back into production since 2000, Part #2743....its a pretty big deal IMO> excellent review as always, superb parts pack. not sure about the splashes of Orange...does the real vehicle even have Orange?

Edited by Richard Dower