BrickJagger

2017 Speed Champions Sets - Rumours and Discussion

14 hours ago, Borex said:

Do these cars also look good if you don't use the stickers? Some of these are really cool looking cars, but i just don't like all those stickers.

Varies on a var by car basis, in a lot of cases there are rather critical style elements on the stickers (grilles, headlights, badges), but take the AMG GT3 for instance, you can leave off all the sticker except for the front grille and you end up with a rather normal AMG GT (road version) looking car. The Ford GT40 should be fine as well, considering i have a custom MOC version of it on my shelf (without stickers obviously)

1 hour ago, vectormatic said:

Varies on a var by car basis, in a lot of cases there are rather critical style elements on the stickers (grilles, headlights, badges), but take the AMG GT3 for instance, you can leave off all the sticker except for the front grille and you end up with a rather normal AMG GT (road version) looking car. The Ford GT40 should be fine as well, considering i have a custom MOC version of it on my shelf (without stickers obviously)

Thanks. First i have to get some other sets, but probably i'll buy the AMG and the Ford GT40 then :-D

On 1/31/2017 at 2:54 AM, vectormatic said:

And the colour choice on the merc set still utterly baffles me, im surprised Merc even OK-ed that set like that

You mean the not-at-all-even-close-to-Petronas F1 green? Yea, smh... As the premium SC set you'd think TLG would pull the handful of green parts in something more appropriate (like... Aqua or even Med Azure).  Otoh, maybe Mercedes Petronas have gone bright lucky green this season, lol.

Edited by prototyp

On 06/02/2017 at 2:47 AM, prototyp said:

You mean the not-at-all-even-close-to-Petronas F1 green? Yea, smh... As the premium SC set you'd think TLG would pull the handful of green parts in something more appropriate (like... Aqua or even Med Azure).  Otoh, maybe Mercedes Petronas have gone bright lucky green this season, lol.

Return of the Jaguar livery! Including HSBC sponsorship please!

I'm still utterly baffeled at that use of an elastic band on the Chiron...

It opens up so many possibilities that I never would have thought up in a million years

4 hours ago, Han solo died said:

I'm still utterly baffeled at that use of an elastic band on the Chiron...

It opens up so many possibilities that I never would have thought up in a million years

Yeah it's pretty cool. Can't wait to see exactly how that works in the build. 

On 1/31/2017 at 2:50 PM, Borex said:

Do these cars also look good if you don't use the stickers? Some of these are really cool looking cars, but i just don't like all those stickers.

Some of the kits are certainly more successful than others without stickers. Depends on how much the form and graphics of the car can be done in brick vs relying on stickers. The race cars kind of need them, for example the Ferrari 458 looks a bit odd without and the Porsche 919 is unrecognizable without them as its proportions are so out of whack.

Otoh, I built and rendered and posted the AMG up at Mecabricks, I agree with @vectormatic that it looks pretty great sans sticks: http://mecabricks.com/en/models/87X2R19qaZY I have a GT40 on my shelf too which is all brick-built form and detail and looks great.

Edited by prototyp

On 11/02/2017 at 4:14 AM, prototyp said:

Otoh, I built and rendered and posted the AMG up at Mecabricks, I agree with @vectormatic that it looks pretty great sans sticks: http://mecabricks.com/en/models/87X2R19qaZY I have a GT40 on my shelf too which is all brick-built form and detail and looks great.

Looks good! I think that with the wing removed, the front swapped for the road front, and just the grill sticker, the AMG GT would look pretty much finished, maybe remove the side-pipes for a road-version, but those would be easily added on the rear somewhere, considering the big diffuser would need to go as well.

Im really looking forward to that little set, and looking at your 3D model just makes me more excited, i might just double-dip, get one stock GT3, and mod the other one to a road-going version.

Nice review

Im not a huge bugatti fan, but the set looks good enough to warrant a purchase imho

Hope he does the GT3 next

that rear end is not how I expected it to be. lots of holes and gaps in the body with that rubber band floating there. I do like the new pieces used though, so I can see several uses for those. idk, I'm torn on this one, 80% of the car looks good, the other 20% needs to be redone (even if I do live it SC style)

Really looking forward to the 2017 sets. 

Just got my first set as a gift yesterday!

It was the ford mustang GT, can see a lot of my wages being spent on these sets......

Found the new wave at TRU here in Fort Worth, TX. Now that I think about it, I didn't see the two larger sets, but I did pick up the Ford GTs. Can't wait to build it tonight and start modding them. 

18 hours ago, SirBlake said:

Found the new wave at TRU here in Fort Worth, TX. Now that I think about it, I didn't see the two larger sets, but I did pick up the Ford GTs. Can't wait to build it tonight and start modding them. 

Ah, cool... Was in TRU here in Nor Cal a few days ago, fully stocked shelves but no new Speed Champs. Soon I hope!

Isn't retail for the single cars $14.99? The ones TRU did have were marked up to $19.99... :/

Edited by prototyp

TRU pre street date tend to already have their mark up on them. then from street date till about 3 months out is RRP, after that the price jumps back up to the TRU mark up. so if you are looking for best price I'd just wait till march (it's not that far out now) and buy direct, (also I prefer getting VIP points to use on UCS stuff later in the year)

4 hours ago, AllanSmith said:

YouTube review by Jangbricks

The Ford GT set here is obviously my favourite of the 2017 range (because the GT40 has always been my boyhood dream car.) and I must say, I was blown away by the closer looks at the '66 GT40. I like how the Mighty Micros mudguard piece is part of the cockpit!

On 2/16/2017 at 1:25 PM, RacerRabbit said:

I like how the Mighty Micros mudguard piece is part of the cockpit!

Yea, hadn't expected that! Very interested in seeing how the build goes around it, and why... The various MOC builds of the GT40, including my own, were all based around the standard 4x10 vehicle base. Also some interesting stuff going on underneath the GT as well (those tooth plates). Nice to see the SC designs branch out from the relatively repetitive approach of the first few waves.

Edited by prototyp

It still looks so criminally wrong. It should have been sand green. A total shame because the cars and the amenities themselves look really good.

1 hour ago, XAxles said:

It still looks so criminally wrong. It should have been sand green. A total shame because the cars and the amenities themselves look really good.

I love the Toto minifig, im not sure if the hair piece is new or existing, but they REALLY nailed him, show that fig to any F1 fan and they'll instantly recognize him.

The colour choice still baffles me too, but i wasnt going to get this set anyway, too much fluff, too little car for the money. With the Ferrari F1 lego already pretty much admits that the F1 cars are cheaper then the others (with the much bigger then typical extra build in that set), so these two F1 cars are worth €30 at best, making for ~€70 of fluff which i have no interest in.

Now off to watch that GT3 review!