BrickJagger

2017 Speed Champions Sets - Rumours and Discussion

23 minutes ago, HarrisonWells said:

Aggh, just disappointed that there's not more vintage cars. They need a whole line similar to speed champions, but only with vintage cars.

call it Speed Legends, could include cars like the F40, Miura, McLaren F1, and countless other cars from yesteryear. we've already seen the 1968/69 Camaro and GT40s, along with a 32 coupe hot rod, in the 2016 sets. i'm sure if the theme keeps going we'll see more of the older cars in time though.

3 hours ago, GallardoLU said:

call it Speed Legends, could include cars like the F40, Miura, McLaren F1, and countless other cars from yesteryear. we've already seen the 1968/69 Camaro and GT40s, along with a 32 coupe hot rod, in the 2016 sets. i'm sure if the theme keeps going we'll see more of the older cars in time though.

I think that would be so much cooler. In my opinion I feel like the new cars just keep repetiting themselves, they just look the same after a while.

I don't really get it. Why show off the range when there's another product that hasn't been shown yet? There must be a reason.

Edited by RacerRabbit

12 hours ago, RacerRabbit said:

I don't really get it. Why show off the range when there's another product that hasn't been shown yet? There must be a reason.

Not every set/number makes it into production, in technic for instance, 42051 was never shown beyond a few leaks, and never made it into production

to clarify, 75880 has had 2 names "Mercedes pit stop" and "McLaren road car"

I get the impression that Lego and Mercedes changed the set to become the "flagship" of this year and forced a redesign and it got a new set number. and in response Lego likely still wants to release 4 introductory cars like the last 2 years have had. so they have added a McLaren to this years wave on short notice. this could explain why we've not heard of it till now, the name change, and no leak info as they were unable to pre-show it. i'm speculating of course and this all hinges on Lego actually releasing a set numbered 75880.

On 1/11/2017 at 8:59 AM, HarrisonWells said:

Aggh, just disappointed that there's not more vintage cars. They need a whole line similar to speed champions, but only with vintage cars.

I agree wholeheartedly. New super cars are great and all, and to a lesser extent the race cars, but the old Camaro and Model A hot rod were hilights for me.

On 1/11/2017 at 9:59 AM, HarrisonWells said:

I'd love some more vintage cars myself! Though, as GallardoLU said, we'll probably get more down the line.

Edited by TheLegoPerson9

Got my hands on the chiron today from selfridges, very nice. New parts used in blue on the front and black on the back. Not sure why they couldnt print the whole of the side of the windshield as it is part print part sticker. Will get better pictures tomorrow.

IMG_5776_zpsabdefapv.jpeg

IMG_5774_zpsppvhvdn6.jpeg

IMG_5773_zpshscfcbxw.jpeg

IMG_5770_zpsdfops9hm.jpeg

3 hours ago, tenburner said:

Got my hands on the chiron today from selfridges, very nice. New parts used in blue on the front and black on the back. Not sure why they couldnt print the whole of the side of the windshield as it is part print part sticker. Will get better pictures tomorrow.

Oh wow I am so jealous. I'm looking forward to getting this one, can't wait to see more pictures :)

It looks like the stickers are printed on a clear background. So you can change the blue bricks to another colour and still use the stickers. ?

Yup the stickers are all clear, would love to make another one in a different colour scheme. They used a red elastic band for the rear lights but im honestly surprised they were allowed to - it clashes with other bricks and outs them slightly out of line when it goes behind the rear spoiler section. Very nice detail all round though.

Oh wow, i had no idea these were out already... its going to be a looooong wait till they show up here.

Nice to see lego using clear back stickers by the way, if other SC models do the same i might be tempted into doubling up on some for colour swaps.

14 hours ago, tenburner said:

IMG_5776_zpsabdefapv.jpeg

IMG_5774_zpsppvhvdn6.jpeg

IMG_5773_zpshscfcbxw.jpeg

IMG_5770_zpsdfops9hm.jpeg

Whoa! How'd you get that 2 months before they're meant to be released?

On 1/13/2017 at 8:59 AM, GallardoLU said:

to clarify, 75880 has had 2 names "Mercedes pit stop" and "McLaren road car"

I get the impression that Lego and Mercedes changed the set to become the "flagship" of this year and forced a redesign and it got a new set number. and in response Lego likely still wants to release 4 introductory cars like the last 2 years have had. so they have added a McLaren to this years wave on short notice. this could explain why we've not heard of it till now, the name change, and no leak info as they were unable to pre-show it. i'm speculating of course and this all hinges on Lego actually releasing a set numbered 75880.

Well, if it means getting a 650S or a 675LT, I sure hope they release it.

On 25/01/2017 at 4:02 PM, TheLegoPerson9 said:

Well, if it means getting a 650S or a 675LT, I sure hope they release it.

It might still be released. I seem to remember the Corvette from the last range took a little while to show up after the others were revealed but it was fully revealed shortly before that range was released so i'm sure that whatever McLaren they pick, it'll probably show up just before the march release date.

Stumbled across a whole bunch of new images for the 2017 sets, including details of the rear 3/4 views for the AMG and Chiron.

https://lekmer.fi/lego-speed-champions/

[ edit // appears as of ca. Feb 10 all the new SC sets and their image galleries have been removed from that site :(  // ]

I've been curious how TLG was going to handle the very-rounded rear end of the AMG and we can finally see it here; trans-red tiles set at an angle above a double-bow. The 30º slopes stood up on the corners hints at some interesting snotery to get all those surfaces tucked into the rear end. Looks good to me. Click through their slideshow and you can see the build for the front end and how the connection for swappable noses has been handled.

Apparently I'm limited to some insanely tiny file size for uploads so can only post one image, but you can click around that site and check out high-res galleries for the AMG, Chiron and the other '17 sets (except the rumored McLaren). Looks to me like the Chiron has some engine-area greebling nestled into those nice angles.

20409044_7-edit.jpg

Edited by prototyp
sited source pulled their images down

OK I tell you what the FXX K set just got a lot cooler. And because it's a crank, a PF motor can be used to power up the model.

4 hours ago, XAxles said:

OK I tell you what the FXX K set just got a lot cooler.

The 3-D printer and  mini FXX K (i.e., roller skate) are my favourite details from this set.

I love the AMG GT3, just a tad disappointed that the while it does come with a "road stock" front end and detachable spoiler, the back is still GT3 only, and the grill stickers are grey backed, wont be easy to make a proper road-legal GT out of it :( I might have double dipped if those points had been adressed.

The FXX-K set does look sweet, but €65 man... no way.

And the colour choice on the merc set still utterly baffles me, im surprised Merc even OK-ed that set like that

2 hours ago, vectormatic said:

And the colour choice on the merc set still utterly baffles me, im surprised Merc even OK-ed that set like that

Keep in mind Mercedes also tried launching an all Electric SLS a couple years ago, and they chose this color to introduce it to the world (also note the rims have the yellow/green edge on them too):

mercedes-benz-sls-amg-electric-drive-ev-

43 minutes ago, GallardoLU said:

Keep in mind Mercedes also tried launching an all Electric SLS a couple years ago, and they chose this color to introduce it to the world (also note the rims have the yellow/green edge on them too):

What does that have to do with the lego set having a completely different colour then the actual race-cars? Its like Ferrari OKing all their cars to be released in purple.

40 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

What does that have to do with the lego set having a completely different colour then the actual race-cars? Its like Ferrari OKing all their cars to be released in purple.

it was pointing out Mercedes doesn't always make good decisions on their products, that said, they also released the below car too...

mercedes-amg-gt3--2015-geneva-auto-show-

Do these cars also look good if you don't use the stickers? Some of these are really cool looking cars, but i just don't like all those stickers.