BrickWild

42054 - Claas Xerion 5000 - MODs, Improvements, Attachments, etc

anyone know about replacing friction pins with non-friction pins ?

I was thinking when i get my Claas to perhaps do an exercise and swap out the blue pins for black or grey equivalents, depending upon what colour beams they are seen through, but i know the grey are non-friction pins so i was wondering what that would mean to model stability. Any thoughts ?

I don't have the set or instructions yet so I don't know which pins. Most probably just whatever blue pins end up being visible and then change to black or grey depending upon what colour beam they are visible through.

Just wondered what the general opinion was

In my opinion you can swap the blue ones with black ones. I wouldn't swap a blue one with a gray one...on my Xerion I swapped a gray one from the steering with a black one just to have a more rigid set up.

Tolerances add up, leading to a wiggly set up.

Unfortunately the 2L black pin with pin&cross axle is friggn expensive.

JB

Edited by JBTechnic

I don't have the set or instructions yet so I don't know which pins. Most probably just whatever blue pins end up being visible and then change to black or grey depending upon what colour beam they are visible through.

Just wondered what the general opinion was

In that case i think it is a great option

Can someone try to mod the cabin - so it can be moved/turned manually (like the turning at the Volvo EW160E) instead of automatically - also would be nice to have a easy to activate fix that the cabin is fixed in place once you have finished manual turning. Like axles that come in place when finished?

Can someone try to mod the cabin - so it can be moved/turned manually (like the turning at the Volvo EW160E) instead of automatically - also would be nice to have a easy to activate fix that the cabin is fixed in place once you have finished manual turning. Like axles that come in place when finished?

This would be a nice mod, and i am thinking that this could give enough space for some other functions inside the model, maybe a PTO selector, or even a pneumatic pump, another nice mod could be a suspension, not sure if there could fit a drivetrain, maybe if the steering system is improved and reduced.

There is enough space on the left side behind the stair for a motorized pneumatic pump. There is nothing, and you dont have to remove automatic cabin turning. But if you remove it too, you will have a lot of space. A lot of wheel used to slow down the motor rpm. Perhaps I dont know why didnt they make a manual cabin locking mechanism like they did with the attachments. If i want to turn right I need a lot of force for steering and cabin starts to turn instead of the wheels.

This would be a nice mod, and i am thinking that this could give enough space for some other functions inside the model, maybe a PTO selector, or even a pneumatic pump, another nice mod could be a suspension, not sure if there could fit a drivetrain, maybe if the steering system is improved and reduced.

The Claas doesn't have suspension.

It only has a rear PTO too

Here's the brochure and it has a ghosted images of its chassis and drive train which could be very useful when modding.

http://www.claas.co.uk/blueprint/servlet/blob/479972/401984dc421b5335e4c2e9d7263e3cf0/237852-dataRaw.pdf

Edited by Seasider

If the Xerion has no suspension, how does it performs in rough terrain, is does it like a skid steer loader?

If the Xerion has no suspension, how does it performs in rough terrain, is does it like a skid steer loader?

my guess would be really low tire pressure so they deform nicely?

Most tractors have pendular front axles, so somewhat of a suspension, most earth moving equipment does to.

the claas has a damped pendular suspension in front

25872794414_c8d2cb25a1_c.jpg

Edited by efferman

Thanks to Dafgek and Effe for the information, by the way, i am not sure, but what do you think of modding the tractor like the Saddle Trac version that M_Longer showed, and putting the crane behind the cab?

@agrof: Would be awesome! It makes it even more impressive and it already is...!!! :thumbup::classic:

@Dafgek81 and @efferman: It's true about suspension, impressive this Claas has it damped! Looking at the way this model is build, that won't be easy to implement though... :sceptic:

@M_longer: Very cool, looking forward to how you would manage that! :thumbup::wub:

@ctx1769: About the 8 tyre version, that's so cool, thought of that myself too...! :classic:

Wonder if there is another (not horrendously expensive) way of getting a second set of wheels and tyres to do a double wheel mod.

the claas has a damped pendular suspension in front

Just adding a little to this correct comment - sorry for the boring engineering :

All machinery that is required to maximise the traction and have wheels use pendulum suspension on the non-loaded end of the machine. In tractors that will be the front wheels (though in this claas that is ambiguous) but also includes front end loaders, back-hoe etc. Suspension results in some wheels having less axle weight going over bumps - which means they will slip first. Pendulum suspension guarantees :

All wheels have the same traction all the time regardless of terrain - unless they reach their limits - hence diff locks

That heavily loading (ie tractors with heavy attachments) are solid to the ground via the fixed axle and do not swing on the suspension as they drive.

That as a driver you can predict when there will be dangerous swing movement when using heavy attachments as it will be when the fixed axle goes over rough terrain (ie a ditch)

Heavy loads that swing out (like ditch cutters and excavators) do not effect the tractor/excavator angle sideways as they are solid to the ground with the fixed axle - except for tire compression.

Heavy loading of the floating axle (ie front) is bad practice and should be driven with care.